• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm. Options/ideas? Because it sounds like the no-fun part of the supermarket. :)

Nuts! Almonds, unsalted. Grab deli meats, hard salami my brah. Lots of good shit out there without sugars!

Cashews (unsalted)! Don't forget the cashews! ...and hazelnuts.

Carrots are an excellent substitute.

Also, different types of berries and the like, contain alot of great micronutrients and antitoxins. Mangos are rich on beneficial nutrition.

sphinx

the piano man
having the right mindset works.

After several days of not trying to break PRs on anything, I decided today was the day and managed to do 3x5 at 242 on the squat, My legs are cooperating but I will stay there a while, as always.

I can't even try breaking any PRs on over heard press because of my wrist but I'll do what I can there.

It's May and getting hot on my side of the country! Two more months until we kill it with our summer cut thread. How's everyone doing? We gonna be ready?

you know, I have said several times I don't care much for cutting and stuff but if you really make a thread, I think that would motivate and bring myself to getting that coveted definition on a 10%BF everyone is so eager to attain.

are you really doing a thread? and if yes, is there a planned day?? a deadline?

should there be a prep thread and then a final thread for our progress? it would be nice to get the rest of gaf in on it. Might be too late now though.

Does anyone here have their own gym? I'm getting together my business plan for a weightlifting /powerlifting gym. Maybe I'll get space for a legit crossfit portion too.

I'm Fucking tired of my gym and committed to doing this. Getting my usawl coaching cert later this month.

Xater

JEFIT. You also get to view and edit stuff on your computer too.

Does it have the option to use metric units?

Felt good doing squats and dead lifts today. Felt like a slacker on Wednesday skipping any leg stuff. The pain in my thigh didn't return so I am in the green I guess. Despite skipping stuff on Wednesday I was still able to up my weights so that's good as well.

Nuts! Almonds, unsalted. Grab deli meats, hard salami my brah. Lots of good shit out there without sugars!
Cashews (unsalted)! Don't forget the cashews! ...and hazelnuts.

Carrots are an excellent substitute.

Also, different types of berries and the like, contain alot of great micronutrients and antitoxins. Mangos are rich on beneficial nutrition.

And now I can't get that scene from Batman out of my head.

I can do nuts and carrots. I love carrots. Thanks!

Veezy

que?
Does anyone here have their own gym? I'm getting together my business plan for a weightlifting /powerlifting gym. Maybe I'll get space for a legit crossfit portion too.

I'm Fucking tired of my gym and committed to doing this. Getting my usawl coaching cert later this month.

I've looked at the books for the gym chain I worked for enough to tell you it's a crazy idea, incredibly difficult to be profitable, but I'm happy to answer any questions you may have.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Oh I'm making a thread. Count on it. It will be in July and in OT. I'm hoping non FitGaf people join in on the fun too.

I'll let you guys know when so as we get closer you'll have some time to dial it in. Plan on me kicking it off and then linking it in here.

Imm0rt4l

Bought a blue inzer belt, hopefully it comes sooner than later. I hear it takes several weeks unless you get a black belt which they always have ready.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Oh I'm making a thread. Count on it. It will be in July and in OT. I'm hoping non FitGaf people join in on the fun too.

I'll let you guys know when so as we get closer you'll have some time to dial it in. Plan on me kicking it off and then linking it in here.

Excellent.

I've looked at the books for the gym chain I worked for enough to tell you it's a crazy idea, incredibly difficult to be profitable, but I'm happy to answer any questions you may have.

You're probably better off not saying anything specific but was it a big name gym? (Lifetime, xsport, golds gym, etc) And I know most owners do something else to also make money.

Szu

Just a little update.

My little update comes in the form of a 6 lbs 11 oz baby boy.

I'm still going to take the rest of this week off, maybe more. If there was ever a good reason to take some time off from the gym, then spending time with my first child is definitely up there.

The kid's got a good grip. I've already started him on finger bench presses. I going to take my time and enjoy him as a tiny baby right now, but I'm already looking forward to him growing up. I'll get to play sports with him. I'll get him into fitness.

I don't want to put any pressure on him, but I expect him to surpass all my PRs. I look forward to getting swole with him.

I want it get to the point that after I dead and buried, my body's muscle memory will bench press its way from the grave to keep the schedule with my son at the gym.

I'll be bashing through the weights screaming "GAAAIIIIINNNNNSSSSS!!!!"

Then we'll truly be monsters. Well, at least I literally will be one.

If you guys can't tell, I'm pretty excited about being a daddy.

Veezy

que?
You're probably better off not saying anything specific but was it a big name gym? (Lifetime, xsport, golds gym, etc) And I know most owners do something else to also make money.

Eight gyms. Largest gym has a $250,000 mortgage and cost $20,000,000 to build and supply with equipment. Our largest PT contracts are worth $40,000 gross over a 36 month period.

The owner started with one and expanded from there. He used to do powerlifting and wanted his own facility. His business plan is sound, albeit how he treats PT is the wrong way to do it hence why it's beginning to fail as a department.

EDIT: Gratz on the baby!

Baby-Squat.jpg

Eight gyms. Largest gym has a $250,000 mortgage and cost $20,000,000 to build and supply with equipment. Our largest PT contracts are worth $40,000 gross over a 36 month period.

The owner started with one and expanded from there. He used to do powerlifting and wanted his own facility. His business plan is sound, albeit how he treats PT is the wrong way to do it hence why it's beginning to fail as a department.

I have no desire to grow that big. I want to keep it small and for those who are dedicated. I was looking at maybe 30-40k in startup costs for equipment and maybe rent out a 5,000sq ft space. I have a guy im working with so it'd be us two doing most of the coaching with possibility to hire a couple extra people when the time comes.

Powerlifting/weightlifting/strongman is a very niche market but looking around my area there is only one other gym that I would be competing with and that's a good 40 minutes away.

Sadetar

Just a little update.

Congratulations sweetie!

Yep, now it is definitely the time to take some time of and enjoy it when he is still little, innocent and full of possibilities.

Veezy

que?
I have no desire to grow that big. I want to keep it small and for those who are dedicated. I was looking at maybe 30-40k in startup costs for equipment and maybe rent out a 5,000sq ft space. I have a guy im working with so it'd be us two doing most of the coaching with possibility to hire a couple extra people when the time comes.

Powerlifting/weightlifting/strongman is a very niche market but looking around my area there is only one other gym that I would be competing with and that's a good 40 minutes away.

Not only is it very niche, it's difficult to get a lot of volume from unless you market like a hoss.

How are you going to do memberships and coaching? Separate costs, I assume? Do you have a solid contact to buy the equipment from to get some sort of discount (I'd recommend Power Systems and looking for used goods from Craigslist)? Have you seen how many Crossfit boxes in your area there are that might be indirect competition? What about the globos in your area, do they have solid lifting equipment with a membership price you can't beat?

BTW, those are legit questions, I'm not trying to deter you, just pooling some info.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Big congratulations Szu! Enjoy every minute of it.

But ummmmm.... you can still do some push ups or something! Come on!!

Not only is it very niche, it's difficult to get a lot of volume from unless you market like a hoss.

How are you going to do memberships and coaching? Separate costs, I assume? Do you have a solid contact to buy the equipment from to get some sort of discount (I'd recommend Power Systems and looking for used goods from Craigslist)? Have you seen how many Crossfit boxes in your area there are that might be indirect competition? What about the globos in your area, do they have solid lifting equipment with a membership price you can't beat?

BTW, those are legit questions, I'm not trying to deter you, just pooling some info.

For the bars I'm not going to slack and get pendlay for WL and Texas bars for PL. The pl weights there are a ton of used metal plates you can get used. Obviously I'll be building my own platforms, boxes, etc.

I know you're not and wouldn't take your advice if you weren't asking these questions! There are quite a few cf's around but by visiting none are equipped to compete with the other markets I'm trying to get. The commercial gyms around here are pretty expensive (40-80/month) and even on the high side they lack proper equipment. (my current gym I pay $75) I would target pricing around that, crossfit would be the standard 130-150/month.

Sooo... I guess this means I should extend my cutting-period by an extra month?

Just a little update.

I'm still going to take the rest of this week off, maybe more. If there was ever a good reason to take some time off from the gym, then spending time with my first child is definitely up there.

The kid's got a good grip. I've already started him on finger bench presses. I going to take my time and enjoy him as a tiny baby right now, but I'm already looking forward to him growing up. I'll get to play sports with him. I'll get him into fitness.

I don't want to put any pressure on him, but I expect him to surpass all my PRs. I look forward to getting swole with him.

I want it get to the point that after I dead and buried, my body's muscle memory will bench press its way from the grave to keep the schedule with my son at the gym.

I missed this. Congrats Szu!

Sadetar

Oh and hey, I thought I could also post my gym programme to here. My physiotherapist did it to me and I do it once or twice a week depending what else I am doing as well. I have been going to gym around 8 weeks so I am not even near of what you darlings are doing in here. I am very aware of that.

Warm up with crosstrainer, 10-15 mins. Bit of stretching with a stick (take it behind and from side to side).

Work out contains following at the moment (always 10 times and 30-60 seconds and another 10, I have updated weights when the previous ones are not killing me enough anymore)

Shoulder press machine 25 kg / 55 lbs
Extensor muscle 30 kg / 66 lbs (not me in the photo, I just don't know English words for that move)
Biceps 20 kg / 44 lbs (again not me)
Seated row 39 kg / 86 lbs
Seated chest press 30 kg / 66 lbs
Seated leg press 109 kg / 240 lbs
Leg extension 30 kg / 66 lbs
Leg curl 35 kg / 77 lbs
Seated thigh abduction (outer thighs) 55 kg / 121 lbs
Seated thigh abduction (inner thighs) 45 kg / 99 lbs

I also finish with 10-15 minutes on crosstrainer and after that stretches.

The weights are basicly the max I can do that 10 x 2. The last couple are always pain in the ass and I don't even want to think what I look like when doing them.

Tummy and back I do every other day at home with a training ball (I do have a programme for that as well). My PT haven't yet given me permission to do them at the gym with weights.

Hey Gaf. So, I feel like I've already done the hardest part. I went from a 6-4 guy who weighed 335 pounds to a 6-4 guy who weighs 190 pounds. Yay me!

Even still, I've got a little bit of a gut and some slight moobs. It doesn't bother me too much---I'm still proud of my body and how I got there.

That being said, I'm going to start doing some lifting and eating more grilled chicken and other forms of protein (I'm really do not like salads, which might make this whole lifting thing tough)

I haven't done much of any lifting since high school football, so it will be a tough process. But, my confidence is still through the roof. If I can lose the weight, I know I can gain the muscle. Should be fun.

blackflag

Just a little update.

Totally awesome! Congrats!

blackflag

New Squat PR 405!!!! 4 plates finally on my worst lift.

Wasn't planning on breaking it but I easily got 2 at 365 and could have gotten more but I saved it for the PR.

Back feels better than it has in years. Thank you DDP Yoga and MobilityWOD

Sadetar

Hey Gaf. So, I feel like I've already done the hardest part. I went from a 6-4 guy who weighed 335 pounds to a 6-4 guy who weighs 190 pounds. Yay me!

Even still, I've got a little bit of a gut and some slight moobs. It doesn't bother me too much---I'm still proud of my body and how I got there.

That being said, I'm going to start doing some lifting and eating more grilled chicken and other forms of protein (I'm really do not like salads, which might make this whole lifting thing tough)

I haven't done much of any lifting since high school football, so it will be a tough process. But, my confidence is still through the roof. If I can lose the weight, I know I can gain the muscle. Should be fun.
Congratulations! You have done absolutely amazing job right there!
tumblr_leotdicGeL1qdlkgg.gif

May I ask what did you do to achieve such a weightloss and within how long time?

Oh and definitely you can gain more muscles when you have been able to do that already. I am unfortunately not that big of a help what comes to that, but I am sure the boys are able to help you out, if you have some certain questions in your mind.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Urgh snatch grip DLs two days after 5x10 @350 squats, legs are already feeling it midway through. Gonna push heavy squats to sunday lol

Veezy

que?
For the bars I'm not going to slack and get pendlay for WL and Texas bars for PL. The pl weights there are a ton of used metal plates you can get used. Obviously I'll be building my own platforms, boxes, etc.

I know you're not and wouldn't take your advice if you weren't asking these questions! There are quite a few cf's around but by visiting none are equipped to compete with the other markets I'm trying to get. The commercial gyms around here are pretty expensive (40-80/month) and even on the high side they lack proper equipment. (my current gym I pay $75) I would target pricing around that, crossfit would be the standard 130-150/month.

Give me a few days.

I'm going to spit out a pretty dense write up of my experieces in the industry, what I love/hate about it, the challenges, and I would do if I was you. Like, OP worthy stuff.

I will say this, Crossfit, as much as it makes me rage, has done more for barbell work than anybody has. If you ride that wave, which for the life of me is still sky high, and put out a good product, there will be people that will sign at that price. You've just gotta be fucking smart.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Ooh, I feel like a winner at the moment. Despite the stupid remove of the wisdom tooth I still went to the gym - and did my full programme, stretches and core muscle training. The damn hole in the mouth cause of the removal didn't bother me that much. Yay!

Looking good man!

Awwww, poor babe. Good that you went back to the gym the day after and I am sure next week will be smashing! ^_^

Good job man. You look strong not rolly polly

wow, no beard at all, you look several years younger. Nice.

Yeah chopped that shit off the rest of the way for he trip.

Thanks guys. Guess it's just that whole negative self perception or whatnot. My wife showed me a pic she took of me walking into a rest area with my son and I didn't realize how much my lower traps/rhomboids stick out just regular (unflexed).

Now I'm dealing with the whole feeling fat and weak after a week of not lifting. Can't wait till Monday to get back in and not feel like a lazy lump.

Tomorrow is gonna be shitty driving for 13 hours. Blerg.

Veezy

que?
Yeah chopped that shit off the rest of the way for he trip.

Thanks guys. Guess it's just that whole negative self perception or whatnot. My wife showed me a pic she took of me walking into a rest area with my son and I didn't realize how much my lower traps/rhomboids stick out just regular (unflexed).

Now I'm dealing with the whole feeling fat and weak after a week of not lifting. Can't wait till Monday to get back in and not feel like a lazy lump.

Tomorrow is gonna be shitty driving for 13 hours. Blerg.
First, just saw that pic. You are looking strong as fuck. Like, if you were with me, and we were at a bar, I would have no problem talking mad shit to everybody in the room and bein all like "yo, ain't fuckin with my boy, ya dig?"

Second, gotta get past that mental. Give yourself an ass kicker. If you can, find a solid street to do a run, sprint from stop sign to stop sign, and do five burpiees at every stop sign. (BTW, this is an AWESOME conditioning work out for those of you on cuts) If not, do a 10-9-8 reps of burpiees, push ups, and air squats. Something like that. Just to get you through and focused to murder the bar on Monday.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
First, just saw that pic. You are looking strong as fuck. Like, if you were with me, and we were at a bar, I would have no problem talking mad shit to everybody in the room and bein all like "yo, ain't fuckin with my boy, ya dig?"

Second, gotta get past that mental. Give yourself an ass kicker. If you can, find a solid street to do a run, sprint from stop sign to stop sign, and do five burpiees at every stop sign. (BTW, this is an AWESOME conditioning work out for those of you on cuts) If not, do a 10-9-8 reps of burpiees, push ups, and air squats. Something like that. Just to get you through and focused to murder the bar on Monday.

Lol. Thanks bud. Bar is getting murdered on Monday regardless. And my farmer handles are gonna get fresh paint scratches as well.

The good thing is my shoulder is feeling much better.

Just a little update.

Congrats bud! Sleep when you can'

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Give me a few days.

I'm going to spit out a pretty dense write up of my experieces in the industry, what I love/hate about it, the challenges, and I would do if I was you. Like, OP worthy stuff.

I will say this, Crossfit, as much as it makes me rage, has done more for barbell work than anybody has. If you ride that wave, which for the life of me is still sky high, and put out a good product, there will be people that will sign at that price. You've just gotta be fucking smart.
A Veezy wall of text? Awaiting with bated breath. Have a friend who's heading down a similar path to cuevas too so it will be very interesting to hear your thoughts.

zbarron

I've come enlisting help. Obviously I haven't read all 352 pages so I'll just fill this out for now.

Height: 6'0"
Weight:165lb 10%-15%bf depending on source
Goal: Muscle size and strength gain without going over 16%bf. I'd ideally be at around 10%
Current Training Schedule: As of this week no real schedule. I've been working a lot and between that and trying to help around the house and make time for my wife and 3 year old son has not left energy for as many work outs as I'd like.
Current Training Equipment Available: Gold's Gym XRS 50 Home Gym, Speed jump rope, pair of hand grips, recumbent bike, legs, arms, body weight
Comments: I work as a waiter in a fast paced restaurant. I'm on my feet about 40 hours a week and constantly moving and carrying trays about 20lbs in weight. I'm one of the only male servers so I take it upon myself to do as much of the heavy lifting jobs as I can but I know I've plateaued from this months ago. Money is also a little tight so my food budget isn't where I'd like it to be.

I guess I'm just looking for a good routine I can do with the tools available and maybe some tips on food. I'm in reasonably good shape already but would definitely consider myself a beginner when it comes to strictly working out.

Congratulations! You have done absolutely amazing job right there!
tumblr_leotdicGeL1qdlkgg.gif

May I ask what did you do to achieve such a weightloss and within how long time?

Oh and definitely you can gain more muscles when you have been able to do that already. I am unfortunately not that big of a help what comes to that, but I am sure the boys are able to help you out, if you have some certain questions in your mind.

Looking back, I'm still kind of amazed at how simple it was. There were definitely some tough moments, but outside of the first month, it wasn't that bad.

It was a combination of using the LoseIt App and running every other day. It didn't matter how fast I ran, but I was going to do it for at least 30 minutes. Soon, a 14 minute mile became a 12...then 10...then 8...then 7.

Once I finally realized just how much I was eating in between meals, not even letting myself get hungry, it became pretty easy to eliminate those. I still don't eat great. I love pizza, tacos, etc. It's just that I eat much less, and am sure to run it off if I eat too much.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
FUUUUCK I'm full...

600g beef
5 cups broccoli
large avocado
2 WWheat buttered toast
Chocolate milk

2200+ cals of expanding my stomach and destroying my toilet.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
No idea how you can put down that much in one sitting.

Do you just attack it and not stop until it's gone? Can't imagine a slower paced meal would work with that kind of big eating.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Yes sir!

FitGaf presents: The Official Summer Cut Thread

Speaking of which next week I'll finally get to cutting since I'm happy where my strength is at now. Of course I need to figure out a routine since I'm not sure if I'll be back on 5/3/1. For the past month I've done an SS style routine but added in some assistance exercises and I increased the weight by 5 lb increments each time. Think it helped since I don't feel like I'll stall as quickly as I did before when I was throwing on 10 lb increments each time.

J. Bravo

i should probably stop the late night ihop and buffalo wild wings trips about now. i mean i have almost a 6 pack but you can always be more shredded.

Xater

Damn Jefit doesn't seem to be available in the German iTunes store. Gah so I am still on the look out for an app. I found Lifter which is free and at least lets me put in my reps and weights like I would in paper. Makes things at least a bit easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom