• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
FUUUUCK I'm full...

600g beef
5 cups broccoli
large avocado
2 WWheat buttered toast
Chocolate milk

2200+ cals of expanding my stomach and destroying my toilet.

Isn't there basically a limit to how much your gut can digest? I can't help wondering if some of the nutrients in that are going to end up heading down the toilet.

Edit - I have no idea on the subject, just something I recall reading once about the digestion process. Either way, I wouldn't stand a chance of eating a meal even a third that big!

On the subject (at least for protein):

Research done on Intermittent Fasting supports the theory that your body can cope with far more protein than most people think, with two studies showing that the consumption of an average of 80-100g of protein in 4 hours yielded no differences in lean mass

That being said, since fecal losses of protein and short-chain peptides tend to smell incredibly bad one can use a 'sniff-test' after bowel movements to assess if protein is being lost in the feces and thus not taken up by either the intestines or the muscle.

ILoveBish

Just a little update.

My little update comes in the form of a 6 lbs 11 oz baby boy.

I'm still going to take the rest of this week off, maybe more. If there was ever a good reason to take some time off from the gym, then spending time with my first child is definitely up there.

The kid's got a good grip. I've already started him on finger bench presses. I going to take my time and enjoy him as a tiny baby right now, but I'm already looking forward to him growing up. I'll get to play sports with him. I'll get him into fitness.

I don't want to put any pressure on him, but I expect him to surpass all my PRs. I look forward to getting swole with him.

I want it get to the point that after I dead and buried, my body's muscle memory will bench press its way from the grave to keep the schedule with my son at the gym.

I'll be bashing through the weights screaming "GAAAIIIIINNNNNSSSSS!!!!"

Then we'll truly be monsters. Well, at least I literally will be one.

If you guys can't tell, I'm pretty excited about being a daddy.

Congrats buddy!

sphinx

the piano man
Szu, best progress report ever, Congratulations.

today is rest, but the sun is out there and maybe the temperature will allow it and would go do jogging.

regarding Cardio, if you are reading Vince, that link you posted some pages about about how cardio is the worst thing ever, who is that article aimed at? strictly power/strengthlifters or anyone with any degree of interest in building muscle? it mentions hypertrophy and not just strength, but recommending absolutely no cardio to just about everyone who does weightlifting seems...a bit extreme to me.

by now I am aware that a long hardcore cardio session will make me require a TON of sleep and rest, but that's about it. I have been doing my thing with the cardio since forever and haven't lost strength, I've been progressing.

the only downside I perceive though, is the need for more rest or, in other words, that you'll suck if you have a strength day the day after that cardio, which is kind of what the article says, right? if that's the case, it seems like a problem of time managing and not one of cardio itself damaging or messing up with your strength gains.

I suppose I am missing something here... and would love to learn about it.

yogloo

Szu, best progress report ever, Congratulations.

today is rest, but the sun is out there and maybe the temperature will allow it and would go do jogging.

regarding Cardio, if you are reading Vince, that link you posted some pages about about how cardio is the worst thing ever, who is that article aimed at? strictly power/strengthlifters or anyone with any degree of interest in building muscle? it mentions hypertrophy and not just strength, but recommending absolutely no cardio to just about everyone who does weightlifting seems...a bit extreme to me.

by now I am aware that a long hardcore cardio session will make me require a TON of sleep and rest, but that's about it. I have been doing my thing with the cardio since forever and haven't lost strength, I've been progressing.

the only downside I perceive though, is the need for more rest or, in other words, that you'll suck if you have a strength day the day after that cardio, which is kind of what the article says, right? if that's the case, it seems like a problem of time managing and not one of cardio itself damaging or messing up with your strength gains.

I suppose I am missing something here... and would love to learn about it.

I think doing hiit or plyo training is widely seen as acceptable. Other types of cardio is not that helpful if you want big muscles I guess. We basically just need to look at the body of the typical practitioner.
Marathon runners and Sprinters and cyclist look nothing alike.
So I guess it really depends on our goal, in our case most would choose between Sprinter big or bodybuilder big.
We have no marathon runner with body of a bodybuilder for obvious reason. They are just opposite goals.
Naturally we have limited recovery and growth potential so we have to choose.

Just a little update.

I'm still going to take the rest of this week off, maybe more. If there was ever a good reason to take some time off from the gym, then spending time with my first child is definitely up there.

The kid's got a good grip. I've already started him on finger bench presses. I going to take my time and enjoy him as a tiny baby right now, but I'm already looking forward to him growing up. I'll get to play sports with him. I'll get him into fitness.

I don't want to put any pressure on him, but I expect him to surpass all my PRs. I look forward to getting swole with him.

I want it get to the point that after I dead and buried, my body's muscle memory will bench press its way from the grave to keep the schedule with my son at the gym.

Congrats bro

I 'm in partial of agreement with Sphinx. Discouraging cardio doesn't sound rational.

I'd absolutely advocate cardio - more or less frequently - for optimal respiration.

Especially since our oxygen system play a significant role in proper weightlifting. Both the oxygen system and blood circulation are dependent on one another. If I remember correctly, an optimal fluid blood circulation, is able to quickly proces/pump more oxygen-rich into your body and "ventilates" oxygen-poor blood out, which leads to an more optimal and stable physical muscle performance.

it contributes to an effective athletic, sports performance. That is if everything in your most of your "organic engine" is fully tuned.

Fuzzery

I 'm in partial of agreement with Sphinx. Discouraging cardio doesn't sound rational.

I'd absolutely advocate cardio - more or less frequently - for optimal respiration.

Especially since our oxygen system play a significant role in proper weightlifting. Both the oxygen system and blood circulation are dependent on one another. If I remember correctly, an optimal fluid blood circulation, is able to quickly proces/pump more oxygen-rich into your body and "ventilates" oxygen-poor blood out, which leads to an more optimal and stable physical muscle performance.

it contributes to an effective athletic, sports performance. That is if everything in your most of your "organic engine" is fully tuned.

I agree. The problem is it's hard to shape a good cardiovascular workout without hitting your major muscle groups too hard, and maintaining adequate rest time.
Gonna leave this here:
http://www.completehumanperformance...ce-training-for-strength-athletes-part-1.html

I do about 30 minutes of biking a day with a 20+ lbs backpack (books, my lunch, gym clothes, etc). I can tell that on some days my legs are just not fully recovered which I think has been a hindrance for squats and deadlifts for some days. Makes a great excuse to eat and rest more though.

ILoveBish

I've been doing some extra chest work lately, you can see it sorta taking shape.

pZRp67Q.jpg

After this chest session which is another 2 or so months to go, going to work on traps more.

sphinx

the piano man
I think doing hiit or plyo training is widely seen as acceptable. Other types of cardio is not that helpful if you want big muscles I guess. We basically just need to look at the body of the typical practitioner.
Marathon runners and Sprinters and cyclist look nothing alike.
So I guess it really depends on our goal, in our case most would choose between Sprinter big or bodybuilder big.
We have no marathon runner with body of a bodybuilder for obvious reason. They are just opposite goals.
Naturally we have limited recovery and growth potential so we have to choose.

yeah, I've seen this line of thought before but I am not sure this applies to any of us.

I mean, I don't think anyone here runs or trains like either a marathoner or a sprinter.

Whatever cardio anyone of us (yes there are exceptions) here is doing, it's waaay to casual/softcore to compare ourselves to real marathoners or sprinters and the implications that would have regarding building muscle.

What I mean is: if you like sprinting, that is good for you but don't expect it to have any major, substantial impact of any sort other than getting mobility and a breathing body, unless you actually train consistently like an sprinter that sets that as a priority, then yeah it will get in the way of other fitness goals. The same goes for a marathoner. My 45 minute cardio once a week does not put my anywhere near in the context of a marathoner. I am light years away of the marathoner.

So if I read the conclusion of that article and blindly followed the "best case: no cardio" line, I would be doing myself a disservice, because

.- Even at 45-60 minute of low impact cardio a week, my cardio is waay to insignificant to even matter in the big scheme of things
.- I am not dedicated 100% to strength goals, so I don't mind taking an extra day to rest,

I think it's very important to understand where these articles by fitness people are coming from and reflect upon them instead of taking them like gospel.

ultimately I may be wrong, that's why my major question was "who EXACTLY is that article aimed at??" cause it seems it's for long-time, advanced powerlifters that want every bit of energy to get better results in their one and only task.

Szu

Thanks everybody. Not much progress on my end. I still plan to participate in this upcoming summer cut, but I don't expect much change.

As for my son, he's on full bulk mode. Eating every 2-3 hours and crapping it out too. He's a friggin machine.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
That picture cracks me up Sean. You have the exact same face as my son on Christmas morning. Haha!

ACE 1991

So does anyone know of any good hypertrophy 3 day/week program? I will only have access to a gym that is a 20 minute drive away this summer so I want to save on gas and time. In other news, I haven't been able to squat or deadlift for about a month now due to something fucked with my lower back; it seems i pull it very easily so I'm trying to stay off it. Seeing a chiropractor in a few weeks to have it all checked out. I've been making due by loading up plates on the leg press but of course it isn't the same.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
I've neglected biceps for years, literally, trying to change that though by doing BB curls once a week for 10x8.

*CurlBro*

Holy crap, is that one meal?

Yea, was full since I've only been taking in 5-6,000cal/day after my surgery. I'm gonna up that now that I'm trying creatine, first time, to hit 210lbs.

I do about 30 minutes of biking a day with a 20+ lbs backpack (books, my lunch, gym clothes, etc). I can tell that on some days my legs are just not fully recovered which I think has been a hindrance for squats and deadlifts for some days. Makes a great excuse to eat and rest more though.

I do informal yoke walks - walk a distance of 4,3 Km (2,7 miles?), approx. for 1 hour, with approx. ~45~ lbs/-20+ kg (more or less) of school material (books, notes) in my backpack, 5 days a week. Plus practice Kendo twice a week (on off days), and 1 off day (saturday) reserved for an evening sprint (some times it alternates with 3 days of sprinting - taken into account if I sense that I didn't work myself to the max. at Kendo). So far, no qualms though.

I've neglected biceps for years, literally, trying to change that though by doing BB curls once a week for 10x8.

*CurlBro*

Yea, was full since I've only been taking in 5-6,000cal/day after my surgery. I'm gonna up that now that I'm trying creatine, first time, to hit 210lbs.

I pretty much have to force myself to stay away from curls, I LOVE EM!

Cooter

I didn't know there were people out there who lift weights and don't curl! Learn something every day. All about the peak!

I didn't know there were people out there who lift weights and don't curl! Learn something every day. All about the peak!
I was doing curls, but I got an ouch in my mouse forearm, and switched to close grip chinups (on a bar that lets you put your palms facing inward). It's pretty good. The pain is starting to go away, but I don't know if I'll go back to curls since chinups work really well and keep my forearm straight up and down.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
So I hit a major goal last night on deadlifts.

Then I re-checked the plates.

I did not hit a major goal last night on deadlifts. :(

shit's a bummer man.

Sadetar

After leg day meal:

quinoa, salmon, shrooms, green beens, onions + starbucks strawberry smoothie ~45g protein
That sounds and looks extremely delicious. :p

Look bros, my face is SWOLE!!1

I look like a doge. Beat that, Cooties and DarthWaifu!
I feel you there kitty. They removed mine on Tuesday. I don't know how I managed to do full programme on the gym on Friday. Did they say you anything about working out?

What painkillers did they give you? Mine made me giggle constantly.

Isn't there basically a limit to how much your gut can digest? I can't help wondering if some of the nutrients in that are going to end up heading down the toilet.

Edit - I have no idea on the subject, just something I recall reading once about the digestion process. Either way, I wouldn't stand a chance of eating a meal even a third that big!

On the subject (at least for protein):
Yep, I can only imagine (thank gods) what exciting things came out cause of that meal.

Also, I have heard wild rumours that people who eat huge amounts of red meat don't have as tasteful cum... You know, gossips and what not.

Note to self. Eat Taco Bell after deadlifts, not before. Only managed 5 on 315 and my stomach felt like I was gonna puke!
Ouch. I can only imagine that. I can eat only like quark, couple nuts and dried berries before going to gym or I have noticed I can't do anything and will feel sick. I am amazed you managed to do at least something!

What people by the way generally eat before hitting the gym?

Looking back, I'm still kind of amazed at how simple it was. There were definitely some tough moments, but outside of the first month, it wasn't that bad.

It was a combination of using the LoseIt App and running every other day. It didn't matter how fast I ran, but I was going to do it for at least 30 minutes. Soon, a 14 minute mile became a 12...then 10...then 8...then 7.

Once I finally realized just how much I was eating in between meals, not even letting myself get hungry, it became pretty easy to eliminate those. I still don't eat great. I love pizza, tacos, etc. It's just that I eat much less, and am sure to run it off if I eat too much.
Wow! I am impressed. Good for you!

I have also totally cut everything I have been eating in between meals. If I haven't planned on eating it, I will do my very best not to.

Just a little update.

CONGRATS! Newborns are exhausting but do everything you can to burn every moment into your memory. You will never get these days back and they're easy to lose within the haze of crying, explosive meconium poops, caring for your wife while she recovers, and oh yeah no sleep.

You can do what my brother and I did with our dad: the "challenge from beyond the grave" - when he turned 60 they went to the gym and wrote down how much he could bench and how many pullups he could do. We are to try and surpass him on our 60th bithdays.

(I think he got 185 up and 7 or 8 pullups)

Cooter

I'll be damned if LTEs don't render my arms pretty much useless for the following 2 or 3 days. Shit! Ever since I started doing them how Rip instructs the DOMs are intense. Behind your neck deep and throw them to the sky. Love it!

mt1200

Hi.

At last I can look at myself at the mirror and see more muscle, still no abs ( and will probably never get them, i'm no ectomorph and I really hate diets), but at least my arms are bigger.

Is chest day once a week recommended?, my chest still looks like a thin teenager's. I can't improve at the bench press (I can only lift the heavy bar + 30 pounds, coach told me the single bar weighs about 40-45 pounds, so that would only be 70 pounds :( ), i'm thinking about doing it to twice per week and adding some dummbell flyes.

Once a week, depending on what you're doing during that day, should give you decent growth in your chest. Twice a day is also totally acceptable. What exactly are you doing for your chest? How many reps and sets?

Is chest day once a week recommended?, my chest still looks like a thin teenager's. I can't improve at the bench press (I can only lift the heavy bar + 30 pounds
I would say look at your nutrition first and the rest of your program second.

If you don't get the proper proportions of protein/carb/fat you can't build muscle.

If all you're doing is bench press you can't build muscle.

"Chest" day is 3x a week on non-consecutive days. You focus on different parts of the chest every other day. Day A is bench press and deadlift, Day B is overhead press and rows. The chest is not just your pecs, it's also your lats, delts, traps, and even your triceps.

mt1200

Once a week, depending on what you're doing during that day, should give you decent growth in your chest. Twice a day is also totally acceptable. What exactly are you doing for your chest? How many reps and sets?

Bench press - 4x12, but I usually do 2x12 + 2x8-10, too tough for my small chest muscles.
Incline bench machine - 4x12 70-80lbs, easier than the barbell
Cable chest press - 4x15 with 15-20lbs load, easy but gets hard on the last reps.

Sat is my chest+biceps day, on tuesdays I take a bodypump class, I consider them very tough if you put some good weight.

Cooter

Bench press - 4x12, but I usually do 2x12 + 2x8-10, too tough for my small chest muscles.
Incline bench machine - 4x12 70-80lbs, easier than the barbell
Cable chest press - 4x15 with 15-20lbs load, easy but gets hard on the last reps.

Sat is my chest+biceps day, on tuesdays I take a bodypump class, I consider them very tough if you put some good weight.
Lower your reps and up the weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom