• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faiz

I'm not sure what is worse, the girl at the front or the girl at the back throwing the weights down like a basketball.

Looks to me like she's just doing a controlled drop.

The girl in the front though... Good god girl, you aren't tied to the bar, are you? Hope she didn't hurt herself...

Here's my typical bowl of PB and strawberry jam with a side of milk. As requested by Soka. Yum!

20140503_224849.jpg

Haha yep, looks exactly as I pictured... although I briefly thought you meant you mix the milk with the PB&J as a pseudo-cereal type of thing.

SeanR1221

Some pictures of the gym I'm going to join once I get back from vacation

10250049_811783275517484_4487253178244645266_n.jpg

74149_569835976378883_1749967512_n.jpg

No initiation fee, 25.00 a month...I feel like there HAS to be some catch. I'm giddy with excitement. I don't know how I never knew about this place.

sphinx

the piano man
Look again, it's there ;)

you mean the ladder-like attached bridge above? well yeah I guess that counts, I meant inverted-V handles though :)

Agree with Ohhthegore, get inside the rack and curl away with 12 lbs dumbells you brough from the dumbbell area. that will teach everybody who's the king and sole owner of that power rack.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
The big question is how heavy are those dinosaur eggs?

you mean the ladder-like attached bridge above? well yeah I guess that counts, I meant inverted-V handles though :)

Agree with Ohhthegore, get inside the rack and curl away with 12 lbs dumbells you brough from the dumbbell area. that will teach everybody who's the king and sole owner of that power rack.

And they'd better be bright yellow or pink!

I think gyms like that can actually offer a decent rate because they don't do any froo-froo classes or have high-maintenance amenities like pools and stuff. It's just a shitload of iron. All they gotta do is pay the rent and keep the lights on.

I dropped around 22 lbs yet everyone says I've gotten bigger. Dem cutgainz. It also looks like I prolly need to get closer to 230 to look like what I want to look like. Bah.

Smo21

I like the full body beginners in the op, but I will only have access to the gym Tuesday - Friday. Any recommendations on how I should alter it to work for me? Gonna start tomorrow.

SeanR1221

I will do it while yelling light weight baby!

The big question is how heavy are those dinosaur eggs?

My guess is those ones are around 180-200lbs. I've only done atlas stones once and they're no joke.

And they'd better be bright yellow or pink!

I think gyms like that can actually offer a decent rate because they don't do any froo-froo classes or have high-maintenance amenities like pools and stuff. It's just a shitload of iron. All they gotta do is pay the rent and keep the lights on.

Hah froo froo!

This gym looks to actually be a mix of both. Interesting way to go about it, attract both crowds and Seperate the gym into two sections. They even have free strong man classes on Sundays.

Chocobro

I like the full body beginners in the op, but I will only have access to the gym Tuesday - Friday. Any recommendations on how I should alter it to work for me? Gonna start tomorrow.
You could go twice a week with a rest day in between, I had to do that last semester around final exams time and for the last month. This is what I did for the second program in the OP:

Week 1 Day 1 - squat, OHP, chin-ups
Week 1 Day 2 - squat, BP, DL
Week 2 Day 1 - squat, OHP, pull-ups
Week 2 Day 2 - squat, BP, DL
Repeat.

Important thing is to squat every session, DL once every week, and gave a rest day. You can go Tuesday/Thursdays or Wednesday/Friday

Edit: If it's the other full body program, you can probably do:
Week 1: Monday/Wednesday exercises
Week 2: Friday/Wednesday exercises
Repeat.

BumRush

Hey guys, I'm currently building my basement gym and wanted to get some kettlebells (already have BB, DB, Airdyne, etc). I have NO clue what weight(s) KBs I should get though (as my gym doesn't have them)...do I go heavy or light?...help!

For reference, here are my "good form" 8RMs:

DB Bicep Curls - 45 LBs
2 Hand Triceps Overhead Extension - 75 LBs
DB Military Press - 70 LBs

Holy shit, he didn't even have to do much, Elliot roasted himself. "Attacking me is like taking candy from a baby. But I'm a big fucking baby." Hahaha

Never followed Elgin before and only rarely heard of Elliot Hulse. What the fuck is this nonsense? Watching that "Slaying of King Elliott" shit is embarrassing.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Mini refuel last night. Had a big bowl of peanuts and raisins along with 2 bowls of cereal. Gotta make sure I don't lose any muscle. I'm paranoid.

Sadetar

I really should post in here a lot more often, as active as I am. Gotta get the pics and progress updates rolling.
Hey, progress photos are always highly appreciated!

We are waiting.

I might be posting mine when there is actually something to show... even a weight loss. Damn that fat - it really seems to like me a bit too much. Even though I might just then decide that I am a pussy and don't have the guts to send the start pics.

Talking about cutting fat, what is the summer cut thread about that everybody was fuzzing about couple pages ago?

I dropped around 22 lbs yet everyone says I've gotten bigger. Dem cutgainz.
*pat pat* Attaboy.

It also looks like I prolly need to get closer to 230 to look like what I want to look like. Bah.
While you are trying to get closer to your personal goals, you can think that after a certain point with muscle mass it doesn't matter do you gain more, since women will generally find it equally attractive.

sphinx

the piano man
I did the right thing and made an appointment with the doctor...

I need my right hand checked. I think it's a minor thing but it doesn't feel right. Yesterday I had to re-rack the bar on a piss-easy warm-up bench press set, I was in pain.

and after realizing that bench press is out of the program for now, I decided to replace BP with the (seated) press machine. It went better but when I was in the locker I noticed I got carried away with the weight and had some serious pain. Sometimes depending on how I move my thumb, I feel a bone doing "click" and it hurts a bit that had never happened before.

the good thing, (yet) is that it doesn't hurt or get exacerbated when I play the piano but I'd be lying if I said I am playing like before the injury. I don't play too fast or loud and I go easy on my right hand.

first time since I began doing fitness that I have to go to a doctor due to a injury during training.... oh well, it was bound to happen I guess.

Hey, progress photos are always highly appreciated!

We are waiting.

careful there, lol

some of us have a tendency to spam pics, progress or otherwise, so you won't have to ask twice if you want to see the goods :D

_Isaac

Anybody here do back extensions? I tried them out today. They are not as sexy as I expected. I have since burned the footage.

agrajag

Banned
Never followed Elgin before and only rarely heard of Elliot Hulse. What the fuck is this nonsense? Watching that "Slaying of King Elliott" shit is embarrassing.

Elliot is really weird and kooky. Have you seen the Elgintensity video where Elliot is getting some hippy massage where that opens his emotional floodgates or something?

Anybody here do back extensions? I tried them out today. They are not as sexy as I expected. I have since burned the footage.

Haven't done them in a while, but I think I'm going to start again. I like them, they make my lower back feel powerful as fuark.

Apparently Elliot wasn't always like that, he used to make some fairly good vids... however, apparently being batshit mental gets him more subscribers.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Yup, the Slaying of King Elliot vid was probably the perfect one to come back with.

Holy shit, he didn't even have to do much, Elliot roasted himself. "Attacking me is like taking candy from a baby. But I'm a big fucking baby." Hahaha

Elliot is really weird and kooky. Have you seen the Elgintensity video where Elliot is getting some hippy massage where that opens his emotional floodgates or something?

Haven't done them in a while, but I think I'm going to start again. I like them, they make my lower back feel powerful as fuark.

I've been saying for a while Hulse and and even Omar Isuf are annoying twats. I can't stand either one.

abuC

I highly recommend the Pullover machine if your gym has one, my teres major is basically jutting out now and you can see it from the side. Also all the external rotations to help my shoulder has made my infraspinatus pop as well, my shoulders may suck but all the exercises I've been doing to help them have made other areas look better. Plus, I learned what a bunch of body parts are called by looking in the mirror and saying "Where'd that come from, what is that?".....

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Talking about cutting fat, what is the summer cut thread about that everybody was fuzzing about couple pages ago?

It's a thread I will make in July in OT to showcase all the results FitGaf has achieved. Anyone and everyone is welcome!

sphinx

the piano man
I think I need another year of solid progress to demonstrate anything. I'll see you guys in the next years progress thread!

In my opinion, people should post in that thread showing "life to date" progress pics

if the thread is about how a portion of Gaf has been cutting in the last 3 or 4 months, I don't think it will be that succesful, because that is way too specific

but if people post a pic of from their starting points and then a current "summer 2014" pic, i think it will be an awesome thread.

Imagine all those people who went from fat to lean, skinny to muscled, etc, that would be very inclusive and above all, very insipirational.

and I am pretty sure you could participate too :)

but it's up to cooter, it's his thread.

agrajag

Banned
In my opinion, people should post in that thread showing "life to date" progress pics

if the thread is about how a portion of Gaf has been cutting in the last 3 or 4 months, I don't think it will be that succesful, because that is way too specific

but if people post a pic of from their starting points and then a current "summer 2014" pic, i think it will be an awesome thread.

Image all those people who went from fat to lean, skinny to muscled, etc, that would be very inclusive and above all, very insipirational.

and I am pretty sure you could participate too :)

but it's up to cooter, it's his thread.

I took a five month hiatus where I completely stopped lifting in the past year, so I really haven't had much progress. At this point I am the strongest I've ever been, but I need to keep up with this for a good amount of time before I start seeing visible changes in my body. :/

Pete Rock

Image all those people who went from fat to lean, skinny to muscled, etc, that would be very inclusive and above all, very insipirational.
True, my problem with contributing in this context is that I have zero pictures of myself when I was out of shape and fluffy... really wish I would have taken more progress pics...

If you guys can't tell, I'm pretty excited about being a daddy.
Late to the party, 'grats Szu, raise him with love!

Thanks for the gif gore, that is terrifying!

Sadetar

I did the right thing and made an appointment with the doctor...

I need my right hand checked. I think it's a minor thing but it doesn't feel right. Yesterday I had to re-rack the bar on a piss-easy warm-up bench press set, I was in pain.

and after realizing that bench press is out of the program for now, I decided to replace BP with the (seated) press machine. It went better but when I was in the locker I noticed I got carried away with the weight and had some serious pain. Sometimes depending on how I move my thumb, I feel a bone doing "click" and it hurts a bit that had never happened before.

the good thing, (yet) is that it doesn't hurt or get exacerbated when I play the piano but I'd be lying if I said I am playing like before the injury. I don't play too fast or loud and I go easy on my right hand.

first time since I began doing fitness that I have to go to a doctor due to a injury during training.... oh well, it was bound to happen I guess.
Good thing that you got the doc's appoitment. Better get it checked so you don't accidentally make it way worse.

I myself started sports just because I had serious back problems. No fun. No fun at all to be honest. It is acting up again but I haven't yet took pain medication. This is actually the first time now in the last 8 months that I haven't took pain medication for 6 days. At least I am not crying in the floor at the moment, been there and done that already. I don't recommend it - not really worth it. I rather spank my ass in the gym since nothing I can do in there hurst as much as nerve pain from the spine.

careful there, lol

some of us have a tendency to spam pics, progress or otherwise, so you won't have to ask twice if you want to see the goods :D
Ooh, I am liking that. There hasn't been enough photos this far...

It's a thread I will make in July in OT to showcase all the results FitGaf has achieved. Anyone and everyone is welcome!
Ah, that sounds absolutely smashing!

I think I need another year of solid progress to demonstrate anything. I'll see you guys in the next years progress thread!
Don't be a pussy. If I can do it, you can do it.

Hell, I am going to take part even if it would be only like 4 pounds weight loss. It would just make the rest of you look better you know. But hey, I can be the martyr for the good cause. :p

Does it hurt if you do that?

What if everyone gets fatter?

I'll be posting pics, but not next to strong-gaf because I don't want the regular trolls making fun of me in their heads.

not right now, but after workout yesterday, yes, If I did that, I'd feel pain.

why? am I screwed for life? :p

EDIT: Actually, the discomfort is more noticeable if I move my fist exactly the opposite way, upwards

Bro, do you use gloves with wrist support? They could help on pressing moves

When doing flat DB bench instead of flat BB bench, I feel my shoulders are being activated more for some reason. Is this normal, or is it possible my DB bench form is a bit off?

Sadetar

What if everyone gets fatter?

I'll be posting pics, but not next to strong-gaf because I don't want the regular trolls making fun of me in their heads.
Awesome to hear that you will be posting photos there. I will as well, promise. If I feel extremely brave, I might post starting photos (they are absolutely horrid and I haven't yet seen enough changes compared to them though). If you would be posting next to me, it wouldn't even be next to strong-gaf, but more like next to silly fat-gaf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom