• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Rokkerkory, awesome progress pic, definitely looking shredded.

Still haven't done much, but I hit the gym on Monday.

Well, I've got a minor little progress pic of my son.

10312838_10152568504409245_6336104139868593274_n.jpg
Baby glances at dad's arms. Glances back to his eyes with a terrified look. Love it!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Good lookin human being Szu. Your arms are still BEEF-TIER too. Good stuff!

sphinx

the piano man
Can you lift with that cool gauntlet, sphinx?

Guys, your pics make me want to lift!

It has a very pronounced concave form on the side of the palm so I guess some moves would be dangerous. I think most machines are ok though. All sorts of curls too.

I welcome our newest, youngest and most awesome FitGaf member.

all blessings to you and your Family, Szu. Great Pic

Took a go at 3x5 52,5 OHP at my current weight:

5/5/4

ALMOST managed to overcome the last rep.

No doubt your offspring will inherit the way of the barbell some day. Congrats on your son, Szu!

Sadetar

Ugh, today was jogging day. This quite accurately shows how it went.
anigif_enhanced-buzz-17959-1387220223-23.gif

Oh well, hopefully tomorrow's pilates will go a bit better and Friday's gym is better be awesome.

I didn't foresee. I thought my ass would understand the pain of wisdom teeth, but he is selfish and I dread the day I have to go again. It still hurts T_T
Awwwww, poor baby. Can't you do smoothies? Add veggies, yoghurt or similar dairy product and for example oatmeal (this is what I did). It should make you at least have more fun in the bathroom.

How bad is it still?

Again, contratulations. Two adorable beasts in the same pic. Good work.

Nilaul

Day 0:

So after much consideration; I decided to try keto (even though I'm not probably that far from it).Ordered some keto strips; brought some coconut oil and virgin oil. I'm all ready pretty lean; but noticed that my mind is hazy sometimes on a low carb diet; so I thought why not just switch to keto? Make sure my body burns fat (as opposed to using some experimental drug or shit). My abs show under preferable light conditions. Keto can also be pretty easily turned into an anabolic diet.

I used to love sweats. Sweeteners etc. I don't like fats; I tried to cut them out (probably explains why I had so much trouble dropping the final percentage of body fat). So I wonder how this will go for me.
Today was my last pizza meal for a long time.

Weight: 73:kg height: 185. Age:23 (on May 19)

Day one

Proteins: 180 grams of protein today; 368 grams of chicken breasts (116 grams of protein) and a protein shake (64 proteins) Fat : Around 5grams

Log:

Need to boost my fat intake but I feel stuffed. First day with no carbs; had an extra dense protein shake in the morning (64 proteins); wasn't in the mood to cook. Went out for a walk played some light football. Fine in the beginning; my mind started going hazy towards the end. Returned shoved 3 chicken breasts in the oven. Feel better; protein at 180 grams; might be to much. Dunno. Fat is too low; breaking down the barrier of fat might be a problem. Perhaps I should take a shot of olive oil or a spoon of coconut oil? I don't know. I feel full right now. Might have a shot later. Ketosis strips have not come in yet.

Been sprouts are good for ketosis?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I posted in the other thread, but keto strips are absolutely useless in determining whether or not your body is in a state of ketogenesis at the moment you pee on the stick.

You *need* more fat. 180g of protein is probably way too much unless your fat is super high, too.

Protein in the absence of fat will just be converted into glucose, which is killing the entire point of avoiding carbs in the first place.

Feeling of lethargy is probably happening because it's highly likely you aren't generating ketones for energy. You aren't giving your body enough fat, so it's converting the massive amount of protein to glucose. This is a very inefficient process compared to getting glucose from carbs. You're going to feel like shit as long as you keep this up. You need to be eating most of your calories from fat.

ILoveBish

Keto macros are pretty easy. For every lb of lean body mass, 1g of protein. 30g or less net carbs. Rest is fat. Each g of protein and carbs is 4 calories, fat is 8. That's all there is to it.

Nilaul

I posted in the other thread, but keto strips are absolutely useless in determining whether or not your body is in a state of ketogenesis at the moment you pee on the stick.

You *need* more fat. 180g of protein is probably way too much unless your fat is super high, too.

Protein in the absence of fat will just be converted into glucose, which is killing the entire point of avoiding carbs in the first place.

Feeling of lethargy is probably happening because it's highly likely you aren't generating ketones for energy. You aren't giving your body enough fat, so it's converting the massive amount of protein to glucose. This is a very inefficient process compared to getting glucose from carbs. You're going to feel like shit as long as you keep this up. You need to be eating most of your calories from fat.

Yeah I got carried away...

This is probably what I should be eating:

2576 cal per day
114.3-143 grams of protein (depending on activity)
32 grams of carbs (128.8 cal carbs)
1876 cal of fat (or 208 grams)

Dunno how exactly how to do it. I guess for example in a protein shake I would add a few shots of oil?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

2576 cal per day

Dunno how exactly how to do it. I guess for example in a protein shake I would add a few shots of oil?

Get some coconut cream or just plain heavy cream for your shakes?

Dropping the shakes all together would probably be the better idea if getting real food is an option.

Sadetar

2576 cal per day

Seriously, you can go to keto with normal food if you want to.

Eggs, broccoli, cucumber, cheeses, almonds, nuts, salmon, chicken, caulflower, tuna, salads, green beans, marrow, mushrooms, shrimps, creams, cottage cheese...

My protein is pretty much that high generally since I've been hitting the weights again, though I don't go low carb, I need them tasty carbs for my cycling.

rage1973

Day 0:

So after much consideration; I decided to try keto (even though I'm not probably that far from it).Ordered some keto strips; brought some coconut oil and virgin oil. I'm all ready pretty lean; but noticed that my mind is hazy sometimes on a low carb diet; so I thought why not just switch to keto? Make sure my body burns fat (as opposed to using some experimental drug or shit). My abs show under preferable light conditions. Keto can also be pretty easily turned into an anabolic diet.

I used to love sweats. Sweeteners etc. I don't like fats; I tried to cut them out (probably explains why I had so much trouble dropping the final percentage of body fat). So I wonder how this will go for me.
Today was my last pizza meal for a long time.

Weight: 73:kg height: 185. Age:23 (on May 19)

Day one

Proteins: 180 grams of protein today; 368 grams of chicken breasts (116 grams of protein) and a protein shake (64 proteins) Fat : Around 5grams

Log:

Need to boost my fat intake but I feel stuffed. First day with no carbs; had an extra dense protein shake in the morning (64 proteins); wasn't in the mood to cook. Went out for a walk played some light football. Fine in the beginning; my mind started going hazy towards the end. Returned shoved 3 chicken breasts in the oven. Feel better; protein at 180 grams; might be to much. Dunno. Fat is too low; breaking down the barrier of fat might be a problem. Perhaps I should take a shot of olive oil or a spoon of coconut oil? I don't know. I feel full right now. Might have a shot later. Ketosis strips have not come in yet.

Been sprouts are good for ketosis?

You are not doing ketogenic diet without taking in way more fat.
Ketogenic is basically medium amount of fat, very low carbs and high fat.
If you take in gram per pound of weight you will most likely get out of ketosis due to gluconeogenesis which turns proteins into carbs.

Awwwww, poor baby. Can't you do smoothies? Add veggies, yoghurt or similar dairy product and for example oatmeal (this is what I did). It should make you at least have more fun in the bathroom.

How bad is it still?

I could eat and apple and pecans today so that should help. Tomorrow I must lift and eat all my fibers again

Now your goal should be that your arm stays always the same size as your son until he becomes an adult.

Veezy

que?
Szu, nice baby.

So, I've fallen kinda out of love with PHAT. To be completely honest, it feels like serving two masters they way it's set up (strength/hypertrophy) is just a bit too much. I never feel truly like my strength days are a great workout and with the lack of hypertrophy movement on the shoulders, arms, and back I'm not getting the definition I'd like.

So, I'm trying something new.
Back/Chest
Legs/Abs
Arms
Rest
Shoulders/Back
Legs/Chest
Rest

My rep schemes are set up in a pyramid down (12 reps down to 6). So far, it honestly feels fucking amazing. My three hypertrophy sets (12,10,8) I do with a lot of speed and explosion in the movement followed by a really balls out set of 4-6 heavy fucking reps, regardless of the movement (save calve raises, delt side/rear raises, and shrugs). Always with clean form.

While DOMS isn't exactly a great way to tell if you got a good work out, for the first time almost 3 years I'm legit sore from the workouts. It'll take a month or two to see if my programming is on point, and I'll have to tweak the movements a bit, but it's the best I've felt power wise in a hot minute.

Also, I turned 29 yesterday. And my hair is thinning on the back. Looks like I'm shaving my head. Keeping the beard, of course.

Nilaul

In still hungry. Whats the most delicious oil to drink? I downing some olive oil. Dont like it. Well it should balance out my fat intake for today.

Do persume the fat in the eggs would help me tomorrow. Whats the genrious consent on salt/sodium on keto?

rokkerkory

omg cute son! congrats man!!! I love kids.

I am sure you're gonna train him in a few years haha

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Keto macros are pretty easy. For every lb of lean body mass, 1g of protein. 30g or less net carbs. Rest is fat. Each g of protein and carbs is 4 calories, fat is 8. That's all there is to it.

Keto brah

Smashed my bench PR tonight. Thrillllllllled.

Nilaul

65% fat, 30% protein, 5% carbs = keto.

Or

75% fat, 20%protein, 5% carb ?

So for every gram of protein I eat how many grams of fat?

ILoveBish

65% fat, 30% protein, 5% carbs = keto.

Or

75% fat, 20%protein, 5% carb ?

So for every gram of protein I eat how many grams of fat?

Dont go by percentages. For every 1g of lean mass you have, 1g of protein is a good measure. Carbs are 30g NET. Rest is fat. Thats all there is to it. The percentages can be misleading, go with what you actually need to maintain muscle.

After reading through the first couple pages, I'd like some help/advice.

Height: 6'2"
Weight:191 lbs ( probably around 22%-25% body fat )
Goal: 165-170 lbs
Current Training Schedule: Don't really have a schedule, all I do is jog/walk 5 days a week for 50-60 mins
Current Training Equipment Available: Dumbbells

Comments: Can't really afford a gym at this point, I live out in the country so i've been doing a lot cardio for the past month and half. I started at 208 lbs, and found a pair of 20 lbs laying around, so that's all the equipment I got.

Edit:I also point out, that I'm not used to working out and i'm slowly changing that by lifting dumbbells and such, Any tips are greatly appreciated.

You are at a good weight for your height man, don't try and get that small. Just lose the fat and gain muscle

SeanR1221

So I checked out the other gym tonight. Man what a disappointment :/

The plates were SO old and really off. I think last time I squatted 255 I was at 9 reps or so? At this place 2 reps. The bars were really nice but I'm willing to bet the plates were junk. Side note the place was pretty dirty in general.

At first I thought maybe my current gym is all off and the weight is all lower, but I've lifted at iron sport a couple times which has top of the line equipment and nothing changed.

ILoveBish

I did it fitgaf bros. Did 365lbs on squats today. 7th strait 5/3/1 session of gains while on a cut. Damn I love this routine and keto.

sphinx

the piano man
Szu, nice baby.

So, I've fallen kinda out of love with PHAT. To be completely honest, it feels like serving two masters they way it's set up (strength/hypertrophy) is just a bit too much. I never feel truly like my strength days are a great workout and with the lack of hypertrophy movement on the shoulders, arms, and back I'm not getting the definition I'd like.

Back/Chest
Legs/Abs
Arms
Rest
Shoulders/Back
Legs/Chest
Rest

My rep schemes are set up in a pyramid down (12 reps down to 6). So far, it honestly feels fucking amazing. My three hypertrophy sets (12,10,8) I do with a lot of speed and explosion in the movement followed by a really balls out set of 4-6 heavy fucking reps, regardless of the movement (save calve raises, delt side/rear raises, and shrugs). Always with clean form.

While DOMS isn't exactly a great way to tell if you got a good work out, for the first time almost 3 years I'm legit sore from the workouts. It'll take a month or two to see if my programming is on point, and I'll have to tweak the movements a bit, but it's the best I've felt power wise in a hot minute.

Also, I turned 29 yesterday. And my hair is thinning on the back. Looks like I'm shaving my head. Keeping the beard, of course.

wow, I am very much going through this right now, minus the hair thinning thing :p

I liked the philosophy of PHAT, regarding a mix of hypertrophy and strength power days but like you, I wasn't in love with a couple of things there so I tried to come up with something that would take the philosophy as basis but more tailored to my needs and possibilites and came up with the following day cycle

1 BP/DL (Main compounds strength day 1, only assistance is dips for chest and pull-ups for back)
2 Rest
3 Squat/OHP (Main compounds strenght day 2, power rack day basically, assistance is just calves for legs and rear delt rows for back)
4 Chest/Back (Hypertrophy day 1, 4 accesory moves for each body part)
5 Rest
6 Shoulder /legs (Hypertrophy day 2, 4 accessory moves for each body part)
7 Arms/abs (joker/glamour day, funfunfun)
8 Rest
(repeat)

with my fucked up hand the presses on strength days are gone but I kind of liked the layout cause I'd be hitting the right bodypart at the right time, not to early or to late.

Unless there's some major flaw in this layout that I am missing, I am sticking to it. For the number one reason that I enjoy what I am doing, I feel motivated going into it every day and see the point of it, I like where the rest days are placed and that the hypertrohpy days are calm and easy to enjoy. all while I can take my time on strength days without rushing into accesory work.

Hey question for you all;

Do any of you cook your meals on the weekend for the whole week(Mon - Fri)?

If so, what do you guys cook? Sometimes I get paranoid that my chicken won't last past Wed if I cook it on Sunday. But I don't have time too cook in the evenings during the week. At least not in batches for a few days. If anything I throw tilapia in the oven while I do other crap.

Also, anyone have good recipes?

despire

Szu, nice baby.

Back/Chest
Legs/Abs
Arms
Rest
Shoulders/Back
Legs/Chest
Rest

Where do you put your deadlifts? Back or leg day?

Pete Rock

Do any of you cook your meals on the weekend for the whole week(Mon - Fri)?
Yep, I do an hour of grocery shopping on Saturday, including driving time. I clean and soak black beans and black eyed peas and put in a pot with warm water for 24 hours. I clean and separate all the vessels, membranes and undesirable tissue from 8 lbs of chicken breast and I dice that and lay it in a stock pot which I have rubbed down with coconut oil (to keep from sticking during initial heating). This goes in the fridge. Rest of Saturday is free time. So about 2 hours on this day.

Sunday I process all vegetables, sweet potatoes and sauces while boiling the beans and the chicken. Then put everything in the appropriate containers for the week. This takes about 4 hours start to finish.

If so, what do you guys cook? Sometimes I get paranoid that my chicken won't last past Wed if I cook it on Sunday.
lol I have eaten the last bit of chicken I took on the road 16 days after boiling and shredding it, as long as it stays under ice in a cooler and stays refrigerated it's mostly all good, although admittedly I was asking for trouble at that point.

Yep, I do an hour of grocery shopping on Saturday, including driving time. I clean and soak black beans and black eyed peas and put in a pot with warm water for 24 hours. I clean and separate all the vessels, membranes and undesirable tissue from 8 lbs of chicken breast and I dice that and lay it in a stock pot which I have rubbed down with coconut oil (to keep from sticking during initial heating). This goes in the fridge. Rest of Saturday is free time. So about 2 hours on this day.

Sunday I process all vegetables, sweet potatoes and sauces while boiling the beans and the chicken. Then put everything in the appropriate containers for the week. This takes about 4 hours start to finish.

lol I have eaten the last bit of chicken I took on the road 16 days after boiling and shredding it, as long as it stays under ice in a cooler and stays refrigerated it's mostly all good, although admittedly I was asking for trouble at that point.

Right on, thanks man!

demented

I was doing deadlifts and these 2 who are "pro" and older there were telling me wtf I'm doing, what are those weird squats, those aren't deadlifts(they only know about stiff legged ones) and that I shouldn't be doing that or any other "complex" exercises just stick up with pull ups and some machine shit.

lol. I may be a beginner but I'm not a retard. Funny thing is they were correcting me while this guy was doing barbell curls and swaying his back so much. Much broscience and dumb shit was said, hope I'll avoid them in the future.

Oh and when I was doing alternate dumbbell curls guy told me not to go to the top but like bit above middle level, wut

despire

Once, on leg day. Last day of the week.

If anybody is really interested I'll put up my programming. Been messing with it all morning. It's definitely advanced, but it'll work.

Yes please, it looks interesting.

I'm not there yet but I like to have a wide collection of programs in my "folder" to choose from when the time comes.

I really think to take this cut to the next level, I need to be super strict on macros. Honestly, that seems pretty intimidating to me.

If you want to try UD 2.0, shoot me a PM.

Shadybiz

I'm taking suggestions :).

For what ive read you should lose fat first then build muscle, can you actually do both at the same time?

lose fat by building muscle and eating right

just follow the beginner guide in OP

Yup, if you lift 3x per week, and do maybe a 20 minute HIIT routine 2x per week, you're all but guaranteed to build muscle and lose fat at the same time. Definitely make sure you eat the right stuff, and eat enough of it..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom