• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sadetar

How do you control weight gain in exam season? Honestly...

I feel terrible with myself...felt bad about not revising as hard as I should have, so tried to get some work done. Did that, but ended up eating junk for lunch and dinner today.

Might do some penance cardio to mitigate the damage...
I so know that feeling... I have been cursing with the graduating thesis disposition the whole day and night craving for something sweet. Of course there is absolutely none so I have been very creative with my sweet tooth. I have today ate chopped apples with mixed coconut oil, cinnamon, stevia, couple almonds and oatmeals. Not quite much the same, but will do. Thank gods I actually don't have anything at home, since I would have ate them all for boredom and annoyance. The time I decided I want to go crosstraining for about 20-25 minutes I realized it is over midnight and none of the gyms I go are open anymore.

Plus I am still not ready and I will need to continue this bloody thing tomorrow (why on earth I didn't start this when I had more time). Thank gods I am seeing personal trainer for 1,5 hours on Monday. She will definitely spank my ass and hopefully I have time tomorrow to go quickly to do some cardio.

It's odd, I'm on about 1,900 kcal a day at the moment and I don't really feel like I'm having to go without anything. Helps that I can cook though, so I've always got access to healthy food that tastes good.

I guess there are a bunch of people here on far lower intakes though. I couldn't really do that and keep the level of exercise up (on an average day it's 500-700kcal worth of exercise).

Nilaul

Well... I can say olive oil doesnt taste well with everything in a keto diet. However rapeseed oil suits everything well. Sooo yum.

Q2hDm9y.jpg

Trying to rep some quads in Darth's honor. Got a ways to go.

sphinx

the piano man
Soka, you have awesome legs!!. congrats!

arrgh, I'd really like to pull it off getting a pic like that but no, it's not about the angle or light or day of time, legs are just not there yet in my case, big ass pieces of muscle take alot of time to form.

I can't wait to be part of the huge-ass quad team, hopefully next year

Chocobro

nilbog21

Banned
sup guys i can do a muscle up now :D

I think i've got some some knots/tightness in my pecs. I use a foam roller/lacrosse ball for my back and legs, but does anyone have any advice on how to perform myofascial release on my pecs? It's pretty tricky area access and I don't feel like im accomplishing anything

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
As if your traps aren't big enough.

Rear delt work and shoulder rehab. I did one armed cable extensions too for rear delts.

Oh yes, I definitely needed those links. Thank you. ;) I am fairly sure I couldn't have survived without them...
lq0.gif

LOL

But have you seen DAT ASS?

Yes I took an ass pic, it's so fucking big now...that picture doesn't even do it justice.

agrajag

Banned
I love facepulls even if I do them as a warm-up.

I'm a bit confused, how do they make your calves sore?

when I brace myself, I put one foot in front of another with a bent knee, I noticed that one of my calves always gets sore after a set of face pulls. I even had to start alternating my stance in fear of calf imbalance from them, heh. Probably not typical.

Sadetar

LOL

Yes I took an ass pic, it's so fucking big now...that picture doesn't even do it justice.
Dammit kitty, I am trying to work with this utterly boring university stuff
(that I should have handed to my professor on Thursday and that we are supposed to go through in the seminar on Tuesday)
at the moment... You are making it extremely challenging to get anything done: one minute I am just staring and drooling at your photos (and dat ass) and the other minute I am swimming in the sea of self pity thinking how small my own ass is.

You should be spanked
(anybody willing to help me with that task?)
. ;)

Detox

I'm doing the routine in the op and I can't deadlift decent weights above my squat weight with normal grip. iirc rippetoe doesn't recommend switching to over under because as a novice you should try and increase your grip strength and other ancillary muscles that over under grip may not target. Shall I switch to over under when my deadlift is only 20kg (100) more than my squat or shall I keep attempting it until my grip catches up? I'm doing negative pull ups at the moment what other exercises should I do to increase grip strength?

I'm doing the routine in the op and I can't deadlift decent weights above my squat weight with normal grip. iirc rippetoe doesn't recommend switching to over under because as a novice you should try and increase your grip strength and other ancillary muscles that over under grip may not target. Shall I switch to over under when my deadlift is only 20kg (100) more than my squat or shall I keep attempting it until my grip catches up? I'm doing negative pull ups at the moment what other exercises should I do to increase grip strength?
I would say that you should only deadlift as much as you can grip. It might be OK to switch grip for the last rep but don't switch grip as a matter of course because the forearms need the work and it's not like they're going to catch up if you're always doing alt grip.

Hi FitnessGAF! :)

So a bit of background is that I never really did physical activity as a child (parents were too paranoid of me being injured). When I was 15/16 in 2010/2011, I did P90X and was the fittest I have ever been (5 ft 7 at 128 lbs). Fast forward to 2014, and I'm 19, 5 ft 8 and weigh 150 lbs.

I signed up for a gym membership in September (and have been paying since) but just haven't found any motivation to go. I'm also scared of looking like a "noob" at the gym, but I figured it's finally time to leave that mentality behind. I have never done squats in my life, but my butt is kind of big so I'd like to tone it down. :p

Does anyone have a recommendation for a gym program for a complete noob like me, seeing as how it's been years since I did P90X. And how would you recommend making sure I am doing correct form? Since I have to move a lot for school reasons, I can't really commit to a personal trainer. Also, what is a good recommended weight for doing squats for someone who has never done it before? And what is a good diet plan or things I should be eating regularly, since I haven't really monitored my diet in 4 years.

Sorry for overwhelming you guys with questions. Excited to join this community though!

despire

So a bit of background is that I never really did physical activity as a child (parents were too paranoid of me being injured). When I was 15/16 in 2010/2011, I did P90X and was the fittest I have ever been (5 ft 7 at 128 lbs). Fast forward to 2014, and I'm 19, 5 ft 8 and weigh 150 lbs.

I signed up for a gym membership in September (and have been paying since) but just haven't found any motivation to go. I'm also scared of looking like a "noob" at the gym, but I figured it's finally time to leave that mentality behind. I have never done squats in my life, but my butt is kind of big so I'd like to tone it down. :p

Does anyone have a recommendation for a gym program for a complete noob like me, seeing as how it's been years since I did P90X. And how would you recommend making sure I am doing correct form? Since I have to move a lot for school reasons, I can't really commit to a personal trainer. Also, what is a good recommended weight for doing squats for someone who has never done it before? And what is a good diet plan or things I should be eating regularly, since I haven't really monitored my diet in 4 years.

Sorry for overwhelming you guys with questions. Excited to join this community though!

Check the OP

Servbot24

Banned
It is definitely summer here in Texas -_-

jrfKrAxSECaCi.JPG

So my goal at the beginning of the year was mainly just to have abs by July. Obviuosly not super defined abs, just noticeable ones without having to get in the perfect lighting, lol. :p Not sure if that goal is looking reasonable or not, but I think I'm gonna try stepping up my cardio this next month (I have barely done any the last few months).

Also my work has free cereal bars, should probably stop eating those. :(

grumble

Congrats on making the plunge! No matter what, don't stop. Without your health you have nothing.

I'd read the op first, which will give you some good background. If you have no physical background, you mind find body weight movements are good for a couple of weeks, but personally I'd just get started with starting strength. Purchasing that book would also be a great investment in your future.

Diet wise. The first step is to know what our current diet is. Accurately record everything you eat for a week using an app, no cheating and then evaluate. Generally diets high in protein, moderate fat and low to moderate carbs will provide a good starting point.

Sadetar

It is definitely summer here in Texas -_-

So my goal at the beginning of the year was mainly just to have abs by July. Obviuosly not super defined abs, just noticeable ones without having to get in the perfect lighting, lol. :p Not sure if that goal is looking reasonable or not, but I think I'm gonna try stepping up my cardio this next month (I have barely done any the last few months).

Also my work has free cereal bars, should probably stop eating those. :(
...Are you oiled or just sweaty? I don't know which one it is, but it is working very well for you.

Also you have amazing chest.

...And I have hard time (again) doing anything smart at the moment. I haven't yet decided that does this thread just not suit me that well or does it suit me a bit too well. At least I am enjoying it... ;)

Chocobro

So entertaining to read your posts, Sedetar haha.

when I brace myself, I put one foot in front of another with a bent knee, I noticed that one of my calves always gets sore after a set of face pulls. I even had to start alternating my stance in fear of calf imbalance from them, heh. Probably not typical.
I guess I can see that happening. I haven't thought that could happen because I take a normal stance when doing facepulls.

Servbot24

Banned
...Are you oiled or just sweaty? I don't know which one it is, but it is working very well for you.

Also you have amazing chest.

...And I have hard time (again) doing anything smart at the moment. I haven't yet decided that does this thread just not suit me that well or does it suit me a bit too well. At least I am enjoying it... ;)

Sweaty, hence the summer comment. Just finished a brief run and it had me drenched. And thanks :#)

Sadetar

Sweaty, hence the summer comment. Just finished a brief run and it had me drenched. And thanks :#)
Ah, for my defence I need to emphasize the fact that cause of your photo I wasn't functioning as well as I normally do what comes to logical thinking. See, it was basicly your fault... ;)

Why oh why I never look that good when I am sweaty though?

And you are very welcome. ^_^
So entertaining to read your posts, Sedetar haha.
Hahah, thank you - it is good that I have at least humour value. :p

This thread just sometimes makes me feel like this:
anigif_enhanced-buzz-13038-1387225380-12.gif

But hey, at least some of you are older than I am so that makes it more alright...

Servbot24

Banned
dudes wearing stupid little caps at the gym today. not even baseball caps, those hipster ones now that only fit halfway onto your head so the bill sticks up into the air. why? i also don't get wearing hoodies while working out. oh well, to each his own.

_Isaac

Rear delt work and shoulder rehab. I did one armed cable extensions too for rear delts.

LOL

I think mine has gotten smaller. I don't know what's going on here.

ILoveBish

I thought I was ready for the gym tonight, but in really feeling weak and just want to get myself together. After 7 sessions in a row, in going to give myself a few more days off if need be.

sphinx

the piano man
Pretty cool pics from everyone,

@Sean, Chichen-Itza is awesome. Did you fly from the US to Cancun or somewhere else? There's also Playa del Carmen I think. It's hot as fucking hell there! very sticky lol.

@oohthegore, man, this is the build I am looking for, you look great. I really need to step up my game in the arm/shoulder area.

@Servot, you are not that far from a six-pack, I'd try to pull through with that, if you are already taking that path.

@Sadetar, I am 36! there's a couple of us here above 30. In fact, I think that most people that turn into regulars in this thread are somewhat older guys. From what I gather, there aren't many regular fitgaffers in the 13-20 age range, not that I know of, of course.

@Blackflag, Deltking

rokkerkory

4th day in Asia guys. Eating a shit ton and not working out = lost of mass and feeling like crap. Pushups and bands barely make it passable. Oh wells!

SeanR1221

Sphinx I flew to Playa from Philadelphia and I'm in Riviera Maya right now.

It's hot as hell here! I can't believe how much I'm sweating.

And to not miss out on the swole train, I had to add a pic. I'm kind of tan now! But I miss the gym :(

Veezy

que?
Unrelated but post that routine of yours Veezy plz ;)

Ah, yes, quite.

So, couple of rules with this.

1. It's 3-4 sets. Depending on your diet, you may want to drop the first set of 12.
2. You can use it for a cut, I'd drop out about 4 of the movements, split between the body parts (so, drop two back and two chest movements, not four back movements).
3. Make sure the movements are controlled. No jerky shit.
4. The higher rep stuff should be treated more as an active warm up than a true balls out set. Leave that for the 8-6 rep range.
5. Yes, there are no knee extensions or leg curls. I've found that I get way more leg strength and size sticking to barbell movements than I do with isolation crap.
6. I moved the deads to a back day.
7. Still tweaking, so any of you that have some programming suggestions, feel free to let me know.

Veezy's get swole for summer routine (patent pending)

Monday - Chest and Back
All movements, 4 sets, 12-10-8-6 reps
Barbell Bench
Barbell Incline Bench
Dumbbell Bench
Dumbbell Incline Bench
Wide Grip Lat Pulldown
Barbell Bent Over Row (Yates style)
One Arm Dumbbell Row (Kroc rows)
Cable Standing Row

Tuesday - Legs and Abs
Following movements follow the same scheme as above:
Barbell Squat
Barbell Front Squat
Leg Press
Barbell Hack Squat
Barbell Romanian Deadlifts
Stating Calf Raises (4 sets of 15)
Machine Calf Extension-Steated Calf Raises (4 sets of 15)
Crunches (4 sets of 30)
Dembbell Side Bend (4 sets of 20 each side)
Hanging Knee Raise (4 sets of 20)
Weighted decline Crunch (4 sets of 25)

Wednesday - Arms
Follows standard rep scheme
Barbell Curl
Alternate Dumbbell Preacher Curl
Dumbell Bicep Curl
Dumbbell Zottman Curl
Dumbbell Concentration Curls
Lying Tricep Extension
Barbell Close Grip Bench
Cable Tricep Pushdown
Barbell Seated Overhead Tricep Extension

Thursday - Rest

Friday - Shoulder and Back
Barbell Standing Military Press
Dumbbell Shoulder Press
Dumbbell Arnold Press
Dumbbell Shrugs (4 sets of 15)
Barbell Shrug (4 sets of 15)
Dumbell Lat Raises (4 sets of 12)
Barbell Deadlifts
Wide Grip Lat Pulldown
T Bar Row
One Arm Dumbbell Row
Cable Straight arm Push Down

Saturday - Chest and Legs
Barbell Bench (10,8,6,4 reps. Go REALLY heavy. Break a PR)
Chest Dip (10, 20, 30, 40 reps. Start weighted, and end with body weight for as many reps as you can get out)
Barbell Squat
Leg Press
Barbell Front Squat
Barbell Hack Squat
Push Ups (4 sets of 20)
Close Hand Pushups (4 sets of 20)
Bench Pushups (4 sets of 20)

Still editing this, currently it's in a rough format. But, it'll get ya ripped as is.

Monday
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Bench Press - 3 sets of 5
Deadlifts - 1 set of 5
Pull-Ups - 3 sets of 8-15

Wednesday
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Overhead Press - 3 sets of 5
Power Cleans - 5 sets of 3
Abdominal work

Friday
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Bench Press - 3 sets of 5
Deadlift - 1 set of 5
Bent Over Rows - 3 set of 5
Arm work, if desired

This seems significantly less than what happens in the P90X discs, but the workouts seem much harder. Would you guys recommend this as a great plan for a complete gym n00b? How long should I be doing this for and what's a good starting weight for a squat?

And if I am looking to gain muscle mass, what is a good number of reps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom