• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanR1221

Woah that's a ton of volume! And you're a really strong guy, do you feel like your goals have shifted towards body building/ aesthetics?

Veezy

que?
Woah that's a ton of volume! And you're a really strong guy, do you feel like your goals have shifted towards body building/ aesthetics?

They certainly have. However, I just can't break myself of the barbell work.

Note, I don't ALWAYS do that much. Sometimes I'm just hyped for the gym and kill it and then eat like a beast after. Other days, I might cut it in half.

For example, the leg/ab day. I might do legs, go home do some crunches or planks, and then that's it. Or, on the shoulder/back day, I might do the shoulder work, hit deadlifts, and then bounce.

I've gotten away in recent years from really working a strict program. It's not that I don't love stuff like 531 or Texas Method, but I've gotten pretty good at doing the stuff I know works for me. Also, I've found I look my best and put out a lot of strength with more volume than I do sticking to tripplets or sets of 5.

Also, that program is, to be frank, WAY too much volume for, like, 99% of the population. Unless you have steroids. In that case it's about damn near perfect.

This seems significantly less than what happens in the P90X discs, but the workouts seem much harder. Would you guys recommend this as a great plan for a complete gym n00b? How long should I be doing this for and what's a good starting weight for a squat?

P90X is really only good for conditioning. Even if you have an on point diet, the best you'll get is small and a set of abs.

The program you quoted is really good for a total noob. As for your starting weight, you'll want to use the bar, gradually keep going up, and once it feels a little heavy, start there.

abuC

So Whey Protein costs an arm and a leg in Brazil, I will be going there later this year, maybe I should bring a few tubs for personal use, yeah...

Also, I haven't done my chest in a month, trying to take it easy on my shoulders but will return to the grind today. I've been doing a lot of shoulder, legs, arms and back stuff, just pushups the last month for my chest.

P90X is really only good for conditioning. Even if you have an on point diet, the best you'll get is small and a set of abs.

The program you quoted is really good for a total noob. As for your starting weight, you'll want to use the bar, gradually keep going up, and once it feels a little heavy, start there.

Thanks a lot man! :)

Veezy

que?
Gonna try veezys routine today. Let you know how it goes.

Good luck!

Rest between all reps is 60 seconds. You're gonna want to try and get done in less than 60-90 minutes.

How do you guys feel about the Abs Diet workout plan? I've been having a hard time sticking to my own workout routine (i.e. I Just go to the gym and do a random mish-mash of workouts).

http://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/abs-diet-workout-plan

I don't like it. I'm not exactly sure what the goal of the program is, it's leg extensions and up right rows (both really bad movements), and isn't something consistent.

As much as I kinda drift with my programming, I still have a rough outline of what I want to achieve. That men's health workout doesn't really have a direction. There are much better programs, regardless of your goal, than the link.

Detox

This seems significantly less than what happens in the P90X discs, but the workouts seem much harder. Would you guys recommend this as a great plan for a complete gym n00b? How long should I be doing this for and what's a good starting weight for a squat?

And if I am looking to gain muscle mass, what is a good number of reps?
Also buy starting strength you will learn so much and can consult as you get more comfortable with the movements.

sphinx

the piano man
So yesterday I did 80 pull-ups in pyramid form, coupled with a nice deadlift session, right hand was perfectly o.k with both moves.

I proceeded to do chest and was hoping my hand would take it, I hadn't felt a thing the whole day and hoped the pain would be gone... but by the third set it was burning... had to quit and went to the fucking machines,

This is such a set back, just a few weeks ago I had been doing BP over 70 kgs, now I try 50 and it hurts...

but there's not much I can do, I will put BP to sleep alltogether for several weeks.

abuC

Wow, my muscle endurance on bench is embarrassing right now.

At the gym now benching for the first time in a month. 225 only 14 times , that's half what it was over the summer.

Any people who have tried fasting? I just started and I could use some tips. I'm such a pussy...

Listen to Cooters tips. The first month was hell for me. After that I was able to do it but I always needed coffee to get through it. Now after 2 months I can wake up at 4 am work all day and get to about 3pm on water alone without any hunger. It's pretty crazy how you adapt after a while

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
They certainly have. However, I just can't break myself of the barbell work.

Note, I don't ALWAYS do that much. Sometimes I'm just hyped for the gym and kill it and then eat like a beast after. Other days, I might cut it in half.

For example, the leg/ab day. I might do legs, go home do some crunches or planks, and then that's it. Or, on the shoulder/back day, I might do the shoulder work, hit deadlifts, and then bounce.

I've gotten away in recent years from really working a strict program. It's not that I don't love stuff like 531 or Texas Method, but I've gotten pretty good at doing the stuff I know works for me. Also, I've found I look my best and put out a lot of strength with more volume than I do sticking to tripplets or sets of 5.

Also, that program is, to be frank, WAY too much volume for, like, 99% of the population. Unless you have steroids. In that case it's about damn near perfect.

I'm sorry, but I have to ask, curiosity always gets the best of me.

Are you basically telling us you're on gear? I might be reading too much into the end of that post, but the way it's laid out you're either that 1% or on gear.

Listen to Cooters tips. The first month was hell for me. After that I was able to do it but I always needed coffee to get through it. Now after 2 months I can wake up at 4 am work all day and get to about 3pm on water alone without any hunger. It's pretty crazy how you adapt after a while

Isn't it hard for those of you with significant others? I just couldn't imagine sitting down and eating massive meals whilst she was having normal, sensible portions. Wouldn't be fair on her at all.

I guess not a big issue if your other half isn't a food lover, but mine most definitely is.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Isn't it hard for those of you with significant others? I just couldn't imagine sitting down and eating massive meals whilst she was having normal, sensible portions. Wouldn't be fair on her at all.

I guess not a big issue if your other half isn't a food lover, but mine most definitely is.
I'm a big strong man. I require large amounts of food. She knows this and actually likes watching me eat a ton and not be some fatass.

Me and the wifey almost never eat the same dinner. She will have things like spaghetti or quesidillas and I'll have some chicken and rice or eggs and bacon. Its been like this for a few years now

Veezy

que?
I'm sorry, but I have to ask, curiosity always gets the best of me.

Are you basically telling us you're on gear? I might be reading too much into the end of that post, but the way it's laid out you're either that 1% or on gear.

Hahah, Christ no. Way to expensive for my blood!

My diet is really on point, though. I kinda gave up on the cut, am eating way more than I was, and just power through the work out. It's great for me, but a lot of people, especially novices, probably won't be able to handle the volume is where I was coming from.

EDIT: If I do another pro-hormone cycle, though, I'll be sure to let you all know and post results.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Hahah, Christ no. Way to expensive for my blood!

My diet is really on point, though. I kinda gave up on the cut, am eating way more than I was, and just power through the work out. It's great for me, but a lot of people, especially novices, probably won't be able to handle the volume is where I was coming from.

EDIT: If I do another pro-hormone cycle, though, I'll be sure to let you all know and post results.

Ah, gotcha. 'd be interested to hear how it goes. I've never even done a prohormone. But I've also been curious.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I've always been curious when it comes to a pro-hormone or test. I would like to try it one day, just to see what it is like.

I'm curious too. Just don't know where to start. I want to be informed and as safe as can be.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Safety's my #1 concern. The idea of someone else (besides here of course) saying "here is this, this, and this, enjoy" - that is not something I want to bother with. I want to understand why everything does what it does and what it offsets.

Sadetar

25 baby B-)

downhill from here :/
Hahah, sweetie, don't be silly. Like said, it seems that most of us are older than you are and definitely far from rolling downhill.

...and some of us are ancient. :(
@Sadetar, I am 36! there's a couple of us here above 30. In fact, I think that most people that turn into regulars in this thread are somewhat older guys. From what I gather, there aren't many regular fitgaffers in the 13-20 age range, not that I know of, of course.
These adorable creatures are a good example.

Admittedly I am older than 25 (28, will be 29 in August) and yes, in shitty condition at the moment, but give me like half a year and I will be oh so much healthier (at least I am very optimistic about it. Come on, how I could be able to go to gym couple times a week and do pilates and jogging without getting any results, right).

I think I missed the selfie frenzy, but always a pleasure to look other people in here sharing their awesomeness. They always make my day. Ohhthegore, SeanR1221, blackflag: thank you darlings! <3

Why? Unless you have some extreme goals I don't see the point. Feel free to school me though.

I've never done anything outside of shitty supplements and have little desire to. Though I'll be honest I contemplate it from time to time. My Facebook feed is full of people on things, models, BBers, power lifters. It's hard not to want what other people have.

I'm happy with how things are going now.

EDIT: I must state though. I think people should do whatever they like with their body, but at least know why they're doing it. Not judging.

Stay safe bros. From what I understand Prohormones are much more dangerous than actual steroids without as many positives.

Is test considered a prohormone? And a cycle of roids is actually pretty cheap, I was surprised. It is like 30 bucks a week.

Why? Unless you have some extreme goals I don't see the point. Feel free to school me though.

I've never done anything outside of shitty supplements and have little desire to. Though I'll be honest I contemplate it from time to time. My Facebook feed is full of people on things, models, BBers, power lifters. It's hard not to want what other people have.

Just something to experience. Of course, it isn't going to help me advance my career or my everyday life but it just something I would like to try. See how much faster I can push my body and see what happens. The gains lost post cycle would be legit depressing though.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Mixture of envy, desire for progress, etc. But the most significant one to me is that I want to see the upper limits of my potential before I'm 40.
EDIT: I want to be clear though, almost ALL of my desire to try it is to see how my body works with it. Just curiosity. It doesn't have to last.

I don't lift consistently or seriously enough to even consider dabbling in gear/pro-hormones/whatever. If I was ever locked in for a few years with a highly consistent sleep/diet/lifting routine, sure, I could see having some interest in the stuff... but, it'll never happen, and I'd rather not take the risks associated, either legally or physically.

blackflag

Is test considered a prohormone? And a cycle of roids is actually pretty cheap, I was surprised. It is like 30 bucks a week.

Just something to experience. Of course, it isn't going to help me advance my career or my everyday life but it just something I would like to try. See how much faster I can push my body and see what happens. The gains lost post cycle would be legit depressing though.

Prohormones are hormone precursors, basically they convert to the hormone in your body. Thats why they were legal for awhile and some still kind of are. They are mostly oral and really harsh on your liver. They still shut down your endogenous test, they can still cause gyno so you should take an AI, you still need to PCT, so there's really no point to them since most aren't even legal anymore.

ceramic

Hi everyone. I need some advice with dead lifts and squats. What is considered ordinary soreness and what is excessive?

They are killing my back. By lower back is extremely sore to the point where bending over becomes a challenge, when I do bend over it feels like somebody is pushing by back down, so it is quite weak as well. Even after a week of abstaining from both lifts, when I go back to them the soreness is so severe that I can't continue unless I significantly reduce the weight.

I am paranoid about getting a back injury. I have been to a doctor, who ruled out a slipped disc. I have had this soreness since December last year when I originally hurt my back through poor lifting form.

I have a personal trainer at the minute who says that my form is great. He also says that the pain in my back is just the 'pump', where blood is becoming engorged in that area. He says that he would never suggest that someone stop lifting because of back soreness unless it was a sharp, 'electric' pain.

I agreed that I would do another few weeks with him, but I'm not so sure I want to go through with it because of my back issues. He has already sent through my first 3 weeks of this 12 week course with him, so I feel pressured a bit to go through with it.

Mixture of envy, desire for progress, etc. But the most significant one to me is that I want to see the upper limits of my potential before I'm 40.
EDIT: I want to be clear though, almost ALL of my desire to try it is to see how my body works with it. Just curiosity. It doesn't have to last.

It would have to last for me. At least, let me retain a fair portion of it. I know my addictive personality would have me chasing that high.

Prohormones are hormone precursors, basically they convert to the hormone in your body. Thats why they were legal for awhile and some still kind of are. They are mostly oral and really harsh on your liver. They still shut down your endogenous test, they can still cause gyno so you should take an AI, you still need to PCT, so there's really no point to them since most aren't even legal anymore.

Ah gotcha. Well fuck that then. Yeah, anything that impacts the liver is a no go. So no orals at all. If anything, go with needles but that is scary too. Little girl status.

Veezy

que?
Wall of text incoming:

Pro-Hormones and you: The good, the bad, the liver issues

What is a pro-hormone?
Generally speaking, a pro-hormone is a chemical construct that your body treats as additional testosterone. As these chemicals are not classified as a steroid, they are allowed to be sold legally in the US just as other supplements that are not regulated are. Eventually the FDA gets a hold of these substances, shuts down the company/bans the product, and then these same companies generally reopen under a different name and/or sell a chemical product with different branding and with a ever so slight chemical adjustment. Rinse and repeat.

What are the benefits?
Increase strength
Increased size
Ability to go on a caloric deficit and maintain muscle structure
Increased muscular endurance

So, why are they worse for you than traditional steroids?
In order for these pro-hormones to work, they have to pass through your liver and actually reach your system. In order to pass through the liver, they have to be designed in such a way that after your liver filters your blood, they mostly remain. So, they will cut through the liver like a knife. Your blood toxicity levels will sky rocket due to this. There are some on cycle supplements, most famously milk thistle, that can help alleviate the impacts, but it's still a band-aid on a bullet would. You WILL do damage to the liver. How much depends on the chemical compound and your own individual genetics, but damage will be done. Make no mistake. This isn't even going into the kidney impacts.

Why use them instead of regular steroids?
Steroids are a funny illegal drug. Unless you get a blood test, there's really not any way to get caught. They are also readily avail online, generally available from many gym goers, and actually can be used rather safely, especially the injectables. They are, however, illegal. Really illegal. Pro-hormones do not have this issue. They can be sold at any supplement shop, can be purchased by less shady means online than general anabolics, and are still effective. They are also, normally, easier to use compared to their big brothers.

Are they for me?
Do you compete in sports with testing? You'll get caught. Do you have liver or kidney issues? They will do significant, possibly permanent, damage if you already have problems. Do you drink? Then your just going to compound the liver issues.

If your diet is on point and if you really want some hyper aesthetic or strength goals and you will not be tested for supplements (powerlifters and bodybuilders), then they can be helpful and legal. However, regular steroids probably have less issues.

Either way, get a PCT if you don't want your testicles to remain tiny.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Hi everyone. I need some advice with dead lifts and squats. What is considered ordinary soreness and what is excessive?

They are killing my back. By lower back is extremely sore to the point where bending over becomes a challenge, when I do bend over it feels like somebody is pushing by back down, so it is quite weak as well. Even after a week of abstaining from both lifts, when I go back to them the soreness is so severe that I can't continue unless I significantly reduce the weight.

I am paranoid about getting a back injury. I have been to a doctor, who ruled out a slipped disc. I have had this soreness since December last year when I originally hurt my back through poor lifting form.

I have a personal trainer at the minute who says that my form is great. He also says that the pain in my back is just the 'pump', where blood is becoming engorged in that area. He says that he would never suggest that someone stop lifting because of back soreness unless it was a sharp, 'electric' pain.

I agreed that I would do another few weeks with him, but I'm not so sure I want to go through with it because of my back issues. He has already sent through my first 3 weeks of this 12 week course with him, so I feel pressured a bit to go through with it.

Still pain after 3 weeks? I'd definitely see if you can take some time off from the back if not get checked out. You shouldn't be feeling pain like what you described.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Sounds like prohormones are not for me due to the liver/kidney issues. I don't drink at all anymore, but I don't want to have an issue there.

Me and the wifey almost never eat the same dinner. She will have things like spaghetti or quesidillas and I'll have some chicken and rice or eggs and bacon. Its been like this for a few years now

I tend to get most of my calories / protein in over the course of the day which leaves me with my evening meal being relatively "normal". I prefer it this way as I really enjoy cooking different recipes etc with her and I doubt we'd bother if we weren't sharing the meals afterwards.

Makes sense if you're already eating different things though.

Veezy

que?
Sounds like prohormones are not for me due to the liver/kidney issues. I don't drink at all anymore, but I don't want to have an issue there.

You can find some of the really powerful ones on eBay if you search enough and get them for a reasonable price, but they do fuck with the liver/kidneys pretty bad.

When I was really wanting to see how high I could get my lifts, I took some real gear for a 8 week period. Got to 210, 10% body fat, and was squatting 350 for reps like it was nothing. However, it appeared like that 10% was mostly in my face and my blood pressure was threw the fucking roof.

Although, now I know a shit tonne about gear so I've been able to advise some people on it. Good tool to have in the toolbox if you know what you're doing.

I really like to compare gear/pro-hormones to really just being an ace up your sleeve. They really should only be used once you've reached your genetic peek. However, if you're sleep and food and training isn't perfect yet, you should probably mess with that first.

Wall of text incoming:

Pro-Hormones and you: The good, the bad, the liver issues

What is a pro-hormone?
Generally speaking, a pro-hormone is a chemical construct that your body treats as additional testosterone. As these chemicals are not classified as a steroid, they are allowed to be sold legally in the US just as other supplements that are not regulated are. Eventually the FDA gets a hold of these substances, shuts down the company/bans the product, and then these same companies generally reopen under a different name and/or sell a chemical product with different branding and with a ever so slight chemical adjustment. Rinse and repeat.

What are the benefits?
Increase strength
Increased size
Ability to go on a caloric deficit and maintain muscle structure
Increased muscular endurance

So, why are they worse for you than traditional steroids?
In order for these pro-hormones to work, they have to pass through your liver and actually reach your system. In order to pass through the liver, they have to be designed in such a way that after your liver filters your blood, they mostly remain. So, they will cut through the liver like a knife. Your blood toxicity levels will sky rocket due to this. There are some on cycle supplements, most famously milk thistle, that can help alleviate the impacts, but it's still a band-aid on a bullet would. You WILL do damage to the liver. How much depends on the chemical compound and your own individual genetics, but damage will be done. Make no mistake. This isn't even going into the kidney impacts.

Why use them instead of regular steroids?
Steroids are a funny illegal drug. Unless you get a blood test, there's really not any way to get caught. They are also readily avail online, generally available from many gym goers, and actually can be used rather safely, especially the injectables. They are, however, illegal. Really illegal. Pro-hormones do not have this issue. They can be sold at any supplement shop, can be purchased by less shady means online than general anabolics, and are still effective. They are also, normally, easier to use compared to their big brothers.

Are they for me?
Do you compete in sports with testing? You'll get caught. Do you have liver or kidney issues? They will do significant, possibly permanent, damage if you already have problems. Do you drink? Then your just going to compound the liver issues.

If your diet is on point and if you really want some hyper aesthetic or strength goals and you will not be tested for supplements (powerlifters and bodybuilders), then they can be helpful and legal. However, regular steroids probably have less issues.

Either way, get a PCT if you don't want your testicles to remain tiny.

You can find some of the really powerful ones on eBay if you search enough and get them for a reasonable price, but they do fuck with the liver/kidneys pretty bad.

When I was really wanting to see how high I could get my lifts, I took some real gear for a 8 week period. Got to 210, 10% body fat, and was squatting 350 for reps like it was nothing. However, it appeared like that 10% was mostly in my face and my blood pressure was threw the fucking roof.

Although, now I know a shit tonne about gear so I've been able to advise some people on it. Good tool to have in the toolbox if you know what you're doing.

I really like to compare gear/pro-hormones to really just being an ace up your sleeve. They really should only be used once you've reached your genetic peek. However, if you're sleep and food and training isn't perfect yet, you should probably mess with that first.

Interesting stuff. What happened after you cycled off? Did you slowly drop off in strength?

Veezy

que?
Interesting stuff. What happened after you cycled off? Did you slowly drop off in strength?

Slightly.

Here's the deal with strength gains. While the additional test is going to help develop the muscle fibers to lift more weight, your CNS is also going to develop as well. So, while you will loose a bit of the strength you gain once you come off, your CNS is still going to remember the recruitment patterns.

Think, for example, of a guy that plays high school football. He's going to be pretty deconditioned after a few years of not lifting. However, he'll be able to jump in and do some pretty heavy lifting as his body will "remember" how to lift that type of weight. Granted, he'll be out of the gym for a few days if he spearheads into the gym too hard, but the principle remains.

What generally happens is people get on gear, hit goals, and then stop training/eating properly. Their body now no longer has the additional test, no longer has the proper training/diet, so they decrease way faster than they would through normal ass deconditioning. Think about, however, all your big name powerlifters. They just keep getting stronger and stronger, and they don't do 12 month cycles. They have to back off, and they train right through it.

This isn't even taking into consideration the fact most people don't even know what a PCT is, much less that EVERYBODY needs to be on one after a cycle.

Slightly.

Here's the deal with strength gains. While the additional test is going to help develop the muscle fibers to lift more weight, your CNS is also going to develop as well. So, while you will loose a bit of the strength you gain once you come off, your CNS is still going to remember the recruitment patterns.

Think, for example, of a guy that plays high school football. He's going to be pretty deconditioned after a few years of not lifting. However, he'll be able to jump in and do some pretty heavy lifting as his body will "remember" how to lift that type of weight. Granted, he'll be out of the gym for a few days if he spearheads into the gym too hard, but the principle remains.

What generally happens is people get on gear, hit goals, and then stop training/eating properly. Their body now no longer has the additional test, no longer has the proper training/diet, so they decrease way faster than they would through normal ass deconditioning. Think about, however, all your big name powerlifters. They just keep getting stronger and stronger, and they don't do 12 month cycles. They have to back off, and they train right through it.

This isn't even taking into consideration the fact most people don't even know what a PCT is, much less that EVERYBODY needs to be on one after a cycle.

I see. Maybe I will get a hold of you later. I'm really interested about this stuff, even if I end up not doing anything about it.

blackflag

I would never go through that but that's what makes it super tempting to me. I wouldn't need to since I'm on HRT anyway. Plus I can't be considered natty anyway.

sphinx

the piano man
very informative page, thanks all parties involved.

I don't know what to think, I feel way too inexperienced and "new" to this to consider taking steroids but maybe when I am 40, I don't know. Right now, with 36, I am having a REALLY hard time getting rid of fat in my lower back, I asume that's age related, my arms are way too small and I am basically a spagehtti, skinny, scrwany guy trying hard as fuck to get some muscle mass.

I have achieved some success but I am sooooo far behind many people I see every day in the gym, it's a bit discouraging. On the other hand, whenever I catch myself comapring myself to other guys in the gym, I tell myself "stop right there, that's the body of a 25 year old sporty guy, who has been doing fitness things all his life, stop the nonsense comparisons right now"

if I cared for lean gains and abs, that'd be awesome but I want to get substantial muscle mass and look strong, I suspect that my body, from birth, isn't meant for that though, so ...I don't know, I'll probably be too lazy or a pussy to ever do anything that involves needles.

Veezy

que?
I would never go through that but that's what makes it super tempting to me. I wouldn't need to since I'm on HRT anyway. Plus I can't be considered natty anyway.

HRT is always a solid way to go.

It's really silly how steroids/test is regulated. Like, I can't outright buy it. However, being 29, I could hit up a hormone clinic, give the song and dance about libido and feeling tired, and get one some stuff. I know a guy at the gym who, literally, did just that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom