• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pizoxuat

However what really pissed me the fuck off this morning, was this guy completely invading my personal space. He was pretty much on top of me during tricep extensions, and while I was doing pushups in my lonesome in a corner of the gym, he walked by and nearly kicked my head! I yelled at him, finished my set then sprung up to find him, but he was already out of the gym.

I have zero tolerance for that kind of shit and it is pretty much the only way to piss me off period. I'm already getting angry again thinking about it, lol.

There's this woman who goes to the gym at the same time I do, every day I go. She's always doing a ton of bodyweight and light dumbbell work, but she doesn't do it by the dumbbells or on the mats where most people would do bodyweight work, she does them as close to the squat racks as possible, with her keys and water bottle occupying one of the squat racks. Every time. And even when she does move her stuff, she still stays as close as possibe, doing her bodyweight squats while you're in there trying to concentrate.

I just don't get it.

Irobot82

If I were a gay man (or a straight woman) I'd dip my balls (or clit) into salt water and drag them (or it) through five miles of broken glass just to lick your arms, Cooter.

I'm not very good at this flirting shit.

awkward......

Sadetar

If I were a gay man (or a straight woman) I'd dip my balls (or clit) into salt water and drag them (or it) through five miles of broken glass just to lick your arms, Cooter.

I'm not very good at this flirting shit.
You are doing very well. Keep up the good work!

I am already loving the bromances that are slowly boiling together.

Veezy

que?
At least the man is in quite good shape.

I didn't even know all the things you could do with just your own bodyweight. This is the "300" workout

I am gonna go and cry in the corner.

Everybody starts somewhere. The best thing is to just go and hit it hard. Get that mental and focus.

Did my chest and back workout. All that volume in 65 minutes. Beast mode.

I'm a bit frustrated with my dumbbell presses. I can get 70 for six reps, no problem. But 80 just kills me and we don't have a 75 option at my gym.

Veezy

que?
Makes sense to me. I never do them and my shoulders are my best part. I always thought they looked like they could screw your rotator cuff.

To be honest, I've never even understood them.

I get the concept, less chest interaction. In that case I've found dumbbell work to be the solution.

Back in my dumb days I did them and really fucked up my shoulder for a while. It's not a good look.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Do you live under my bed and take candid shots when I am sleeping? Do you have a hidden camera in my shower? Are you paying to some random gentleman to record me on the streets?

Should I be worried? :p

Depends on if you live in Canada.

; )

Why behind the neck shoulder presses are shit.

I'm still pouring through the videos, but this guy feels legit.

Seems to be working well for Klokov, although he uses a wide grip, external rotation and retracts his scapula.

Sadetar

Depends on if you live in Canada.

; )
I am quite relieved.

It seems you are stalking some other voluptuous/fat/chubby/curvy redhead. ;)

I live in north but quite much on the other side of the planet. You would know I am from Europe if you would have heard me speaking a single word of English. Dat accent.

Also if you would have hidden the camera to the shower, you would have known I just got out of there and that I am heading to bed. It is around 6 am. On the sunny side of things, I managed to write 2 pages of utter shit to my professor to discuss on the seminar. But there is luckily nearly 6 hours time before that torture so I am planning to get at least some sleep.

Everybody starts somewhere. The best thing is to just go and hit it hard. Get that mental and focus.
Well, at least I am trying. If my back gets any better, it will be worth it. If I will look better, that is like an additional bonus.

This thread is very motivational.

Today (or well, yesterday since it is already morning in here) I had a very good exercise with a personal trainer. (It was free 1,5 hours when she wanted to show me what all things she could do with me.) She didn't go easy on me and it felt quite effective. I am still not going to pay 790 euros / over 1000 dollars for 10 times. I am sure I can get things done on my own as well.

i wanna join big arm gaf, shhh no cuts, only fatceps

vknP05m.jpg

non filtered version

Imm0rt4l

Why behind the neck shoulder presses are shit.

I'm still pouring through the videos, but this guy feels legit.

Haven't watched the video, but yea that movement sucks ass. Terrible for your rotator cuffs. Do them in the smith machine if you have to do them at all, and even that I don't like.

Why everyone use filters? I don't know nothin bout that photography life. Does it make you look better? If so, how do I do it? lol

filter abuse, contrast, and downlighting makes one look especially flattering

I remember a quote from Arnold that went something like "without proper lighting, all bodybuilders may as well go home".

I only like to use them on the occasional instagram pic

lol what's going on here, everyone's a couple now

non filtered version

You are a beast bro. Your second photo looks like swole kirby, too pink lol, or maybe just my screen

I am quite relieved.

I live in north but quite much on the other side of the planet. You would know I am from Europe if you would have heard me speaking a single word of English. Dat accent.

Ahhhh, i see you're from Finland. You remind me of Tarja Turunen

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
awkward......

Seriously. This thread is getting a bit weird lately. Sometimes I have to double check to make sure I'm in the right thread.

Haven't watched the video, but yea that movement sucks ass. Terrible for your rotator cuffs. Do them in the smith machine if you have to do them at all, and even that I don't like.

filter abuse, contrast, and downlighting makes one look especially flattering

I remember a quote from Arnold that went something like "without proper lighting, all bodybuilders may as well go home".

I only like to use them on the occasional instagram pic

You kids and your new tangled gadgets. I wouldn't even know how to filter my pictures.

y2dvd

It is definitely summer here in Texas -_-

jrfKrAxSECaCi.JPG

So my goal at the beginning of the year was mainly just to have abs by July. Obviuosly not super defined abs, just noticeable ones without having to get in the perfect lighting, lol. :p Not sure if that goal is looking reasonable or not, but I think I'm gonna try stepping up my cardio this next month (I have barely done any the last few months).

Also my work has free cereal bars, should probably stop eating those. :(

This is around the ideal shape I want to get in. What was your workout routine like when you started lifting?

lol what's going on here, everyone's a couple now

You are a beast bro. Your second photo looks like swole kirby, too pink lol, or maybe just my screen

Yeah, it is the camera and that bathroom. Pics can come out super pink.

ILoveBish

Felt really strong today, hit the gym and really felt great. 170lb ohp for 3 reps, waited 60 sec, then another 2. Went up in weight on all of my accessories also. This week is going to be great at the gym.

Irobot82

Seriously. This thread is getting a bit weird lately. Sometimes I have to double check to make sure I'm in the right thread.

You kids and your new tangled gadgets. I wouldn't even know how to filter my pictures.

Hehe... it sure has made a change as of late. Back ON topic. I'm not lifting this week, because I am digging out a spot to fit my 12' pool in my backyard. It's on a slope, so it's a lot of dirt and it's a killer exercise. But I finally found my tripod so I plan on recording my lifts finally so I can get some feedback. Expect those sometime next week I hope.

Doing some planning in advance, can anyone suggest what I should look for in a power rack? I've got a bog standard bench but I want to buy / build something that's going to enable me to do a lot more moves... and specifically without having to worry too much that I don't / wont have a spotter.

These looked like roughly the right sort of thing but I know very little about them:

http://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk/power_cages/powertec_workbench_power_rack_black_/13503_p.html

http://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/bodymax-cf375-power-rack-system-with-lat-low-pulley.php

Any particular brand worth looking at? (I appreciate what's available in the US may be very different to what's in the UK)

Or of course, there's something homemade and awesome looking: http://www.home-gym-bodybuilding.com/homemade-power-rack.html

Would you guys recommend the Keto Diet? Do you know of any good resources on it?

I just started taking working out seriously and here are my stats:
Age 19
Male
Height 5"8
Weight 146 lb
Fat: 15.3%

Just going by those stats I'd worry about putting on mass than losing fat

Edit: if you are thinking about losing weight that is. Sorry, whenever I think of keto, the first thing that pops into my head is fat loss.

Sorry for the personal blog but I gotta vent a bit, today one guy after calling my dead-lift form complete shit (my form was not 100% perfect but still good) and offered no pointers to improve on told me that wearing a belt whilst dead-lifting is a stupid and bad thing to do. Not in his opinion, but "objectively".

I don't think I have ever disrespected someone so much in the gym and thought of someone as such a fucking idiot and imbecile until now.

Sorry for the personal blog but I gotta vent a bit, today one guy after calling my dead-lift form complete shit (my form was not 100% perfect but still good) and offered no pointers to improve on told me that wearing a belt whilst dead-lifting is a stupid and bad thing to do. Not in his opinion, but "objectively".

I don't think I have ever disrespected someone so much in the gym and thought of someone as such a fucking idiot and imbecile until now.

That does seems pretty disrespectful. He delivered his criticism in a terrible way.

Imo the part about the belt sounds odd. He may have meant, that it's not exactly necessary for lower lifts. But with increased weight it should be considered a viable accesory for safety purposes.

You should maybe upload a vid and let fitGAF evaluate your form.

Irobot82

Doing some planning in advance, can anyone suggest what I should look for in a power rack? I've got a bog standard bench but I want to buy / build something that's going to enable me to do a lot more moves... and specifically without having to worry too much that I don't / wont have a spotter.

These looked like roughly the right sort of thing but I know very little about them:

http://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk/power_cages/powertec_workbench_power_rack_black_/13503_p.html

http://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/bodymax-cf375-power-rack-system-with-lat-low-pulley.php

Any particular brand worth looking at? (I appreciate what's available in the US may be very different to what's in the UK)

Or of course, there's something homemade and awesome looking: http://www.home-gym-bodybuilding.com/homemade-power-rack.html

So the main thing to look at is max load. Your second rack says
Max Weight Capacity 180Kg/400lbs

The first rack says
Racking Section = 1000 LBS Chin up and Dip Bars = 400 LBS Bodyweight

Which is confusing. I think it means you can have 1000lbs on the rack for squatting/bench and supports 400lbs for pullups and dips. So the first rack sounds stronger. Also if you get the first rack you may need to buy another set of J-cup so you can press on the outside of the rack.

That does seems pretty disrespectful. He delivered his criticism in a terrible way.

Imo the part about the belt sounds odd. He may have meant, that it's not exactly necessary for lower lifts. But with increased weight it should be considered a viable accesory for safety purposes.

You should maybe upload a vid and let fitGAF evaluate your form.

Yeah, I guess that's the main reason I was pissed off. He was around my physique and had that air of smug superiority whilst other people in the gym that are more stronger and bigger have given respectful tough love and advice (had one guy who did competitions tell me that my form for squatting was completely wrong and gave me really good advice and my squat has been far better than what I was doing originally.)

As for the belt I agree with what you said, but he unambiguously said belts are shit period. But yeah thanks for the evaluation offer but I'm going to check with some guys I know that have decades in body building and competitions for an evaluation first, no offense meant.

Sadetar

I was up till 7 am. Slept couple hours before the seminar meeting and now it is 6.20 pm. I am thinking that I need to go either to gym or jogging or I end up having like three hours nap and again not going to bed when I should. Feels awful to do work out when this tired, but I see no other option. Ugh.

non filtered version
Looking good kitty. ;)

Would impregnate.

edit

Did I quote the wrong person?
It is alright.

You can come out of the closet. You are among understanding people.

We are all still madly in love with you.

I can't wait for the day when I can start sharing progress pictures in this thread.
I am waiting the same. Also I am sure that you don't yourself see the progress as easily as other people since you see yourself on daily basis and are more used to the little changes. It could be actually good for you to share the photos with us so you could have positive feedback to motivate you to carry on.

For me it seems that the exercise part goes along quite nicely but the lack of motivation to stick on the right diet is the main problem. Running between university and two working places makes it somewhat hard at times to follow good eating routines. This should become easier when I start a full time job for summer though.

Filters make me look like I just flew out of a comic book.
Damn Korey.

I still need to emphasize that don't give all the credit to filters - honestly, amazingly toned chest and arms even without the filter. Splendid work!

Also lmao what's happening here :D
Hahha, I have no idea. I just roll with everybody else.

Who wants to snuggle up next to this piece of man meat?
I am sure the boys are just shy to show their emotions.

We can have a cute little orgy. I'm in.

Yeah I was meaning to ask about this since her nickname kinda gives it away (at least if you're finnish).
God Dayumm, yes, I am from Finland. Hahha, and thank you for comparing me to her. ^_^ I think I will be having this utterly stupid smile on my face for the rest of the day (even if I sadly don't look like her and can't sing to save my life - my friends always say to me it would be more merciful from my part to throw little rocks at them rather than to sing to them). But hey, the idea still counts!

Despire, ah well. This makes me assume that you are also a fellow Finn. :p

^ Thanks but as mentioned, so much more work to go. I'm getting closer and closer to my end game though.

I need to do a crap ton more core work. I need big man abs. Abs that pop even when not that lean.

And god damn, I love me some coffee and oatmeal in the morning. Feel like Agent Cooper.

giphy.gif

1017143_10153872269395082_1309034405_n.jpg

Filters make me look like I just flew out of a comic book.

i love it

Veezy

que?
Yeah, I guess that's the main reason I was pissed off. He was around my physique and had that air of smug superiority whilst other people in the gym that are more stronger and bigger have given respectful tough love and advice (had one guy who did competitions tell me that my form for squatting was completely wrong and gave me really good advice and my squat has been far better than what I was doing originally.)

As for the belt I agree with what you said, but he unambiguously said belts are shit period. But yeah thanks for the evaluation offer but I'm going to check with some guys I know that have decades in body building and competitions for an evaluation first, no offense meant.

Sounds like an idiot who got his pointers from stronglifts. Others in FitGAF know my opinion of the gentlemen that "created" the Stronglift "program," so I won't rehash it.

Powerlifters who squat and pull 700+lbs use a belt. Rip says to use a belt. There are multiple pictures of Dmitry Klokov training using a belt. Justin Lascek uses a belt. Johnny Pain's clients use belts. Jim Wendler uses a belt. My clients when doing 5s, 3s, and 1RMs use belts. I use a belt. My trainers who compete in powerlifting, you guessed it, use belts.

Belts that are worn properly done with lifts using proper form provide additional abdominal strength and make your core stronger. They "objectively" are a good thing. Dude at them gym is an idiot. Don't sweat it.

Matugi

4.5 month progress here. Currently on a cut.

Before:

Now

163 then, 165 now. For whatever reason I just can't get my bi's and delts to grow, although I'm pretty out of proportion for my size (5'6) and I've got some body dysmorphia but my biceps are about 15.5-16 inches flexed.

Veezy

que?
4.5 month progress here. Currently on a cut.

Before:

Now

163 then, 165 now. For whatever reason I just can't get my bi's and delts to grow, although I'm pretty out of proportion for my size (5'6) and I've got some body dysmorphia but my biceps are about 15.5-16 inches flexed.
I'm weird in that I need crazy amount of volume to really get any sort of definition, and even then I can't get peaks on my arms, only girth.

What's your programming like.

Matugi

I'm weird in that I need crazy amount of volume to really get any sort of definition, and even then I can't get peaks on my arms, only girth.

What's your programming like.

I did PHAT for 3 months then GVT for a month. Right now I'm on a 4 day split based on upper and lower. Day 1 is chest and back with bench, incline DB press, decline BP, Pendlay rows, pullups, etc. Day 2 is squats (formerly high bar, working on low bar now), front squats, leg extensions, calves. Day 3 is arms with curls (21s and some other variations), OHP, arnies, skullcrushers, etc. Day 4 is deadlift day with some hamstring work at the end.

Teggy

So the main thing to look at is max load. Your second rack says
Max Weight Capacity 180Kg/400lbs

The first rack says
Racking Section = 1000 LBS Chin up and Dip Bars = 400 LBS Bodyweight

Which is confusing. I think it means you can have 1000lbs on the rack for squatting/bench and supports 400lbs for pullups and dips. So the first rack sounds stronger. Also if you get the first rack you may need to buy another set of J-cup so you can press on the outside of the rack.

Could just be that whatever method they use for attaching the pullup/dip bars is not as strong. Maybe there are adjustable mounts that hold the barbells and they are rated for 1000lbs but the pull-up bars are screwed on to the frame so they can't hold as much weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom