• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was going to buy a dip belt and started looking at wrist wraps. can anyone recommend or provide some insight on the differences between these wraps from elitefts:

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=481&pid=3733
(on sale)

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=481&pid=3017

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=481&pid=6001
(probably leaning towards this one, need some support on OHP mostly, a little less important for bench).

if they're really not too dissimilar i'd probably end up getting the cheapest option.

SeanR1221

Opinion time

After vacation I was going to start a program very focused on strength (Ed Coans program)

But then I started thinking, I'll never get stronger until I REALLY perfect form and practice the big movements.

Now I'm leaning towards 5/3/1 and doing BBB with it.

Now I've tried BBB and I absolutely failed at it. Here's why:

- not eating enough
- too many "big movements" along with it (front squat, power cleans, good mornings, and to an extent pendlays)

My recovery sucked and it's obvious why it didn't work for me.

This time I would do...

Deadlift 5/3/1
Deadlift BBB
Cable row 3x8-10
Shrugs 5x15-20

Bench 5/3/1
Bench BBB
Barbell curl 4x15
Tricep push down SS with facepulls 5x10

Squat 5/3/1
Squat BBB
Glute ham raise
Leg curls

Ohp 5/3/1
Ohp BBB
Rear delt destroyers
Preacher curls
Skull crushers

The goal is to not only get stronger but change my motor planning and really nail down form. Dave Tate said in his bench video it was his understanding it takes 1000 reps to change motor planning.

What do you guys think?

Powercast

If you have novice numbers you probably should be doing the big lifts at least 2x/week. 531 BBB is a intermediate-advanced program geared towards AAS users tbh. The Periodization Bible template is a lot better for natty lifters.

despire

If you have novice numbers you probably should be doing the big lifts at least 2x/week. 531 BBB is a intermediate-advanced program geared towards AAS users tbh. The Periodization Bible template is a lot better for natty lifters.

He doesn't have novice numbers.

Chocobro

I think opening the chest up more and imagine bending the barbel around your shins with the blades to back pocket helps set you up in that position. I'm recording myself sometimes next week. I'm a 6' tall and have a wider wing span so I'll see what I look like and we can compare and take notes. It does look like his butt breaks parallel when he sets up his lift. Maybe that is also something to consider.

That sounds good!

abuC

Yeah man, baby steps but still absolutely no pain or discomfort in my shoulders today during my workout and I hit them pretty hard. It's a far cry from what I was lifting last year, but I got up some 75# dbs today which is the most in months and there was zero pain, going to continue doing my rehab stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOwF_KaM8Ss

Good noon strong-GAF, how is lunch doing?

Speaking about shoulders, I'm starting to get a slight discomfort (not soreness). I think my bench press and inclined bench are the culprits. Most importantly, it's probably when setting up and re-racking the bar at the beginning and end of the set. Especially on inclined because the bench is longer than myself and I need to pull the shoulders way back to get the bar and bring it above my chest. I should get a spotter, just sayin

My neighbours are having extremely loud sex. I bend my ankle and didn't go jogging but walking. And no, I didn't bend it when I was at work and using high heels but when I was leaving to go jogging and using my running shoes. I also forgot to buy apples.

Some nice and understanding words please. I wouldn't want to go and shoot my neighbours. That would be somewhat impolite thing to do.

lol, how are your neighbors doing, was babby formed?

Faiz

I was going to buy a dip belt and started looking at wrist wraps. can anyone recommend or provide some insight on the differences between these wraps from elitefts:

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=481&pid=3733
(on sale)

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=481&pid=3017

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=481&pid=6001
(probably leaning towards this one, need some support on OHP mostly, a little less important for bench).

if they're really not too dissimilar i'd probably end up getting the cheapest option.

I've been looking into wrist wraps too; I'm about two weeks into a sprained wrist and I know I'm gonna want the extra support when I'm ready to start lifting again.

Seems like there are so many out there and many recommendations come down to personal preferences. Understandable if frustrating, because I'm not trying out 10 different brands and models to settle on a pair of $15-30 wraps.

I'm currently going between a pair from Rogue or Elite FTS. I've seen a lot of recs for Inzer too. My needs are mainly going to be OHP and Olympics.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
It will hit 90 here today! That's all I needed to push me over the edge to tighten up my diet. A little color does wonders for dem cuts!

Pete Rock

So after a month of high volume sumo deadlifts my adductors/gracilis are so fat they rub together when I stand or walk unless I articulate all super-wonky "keep on truckin" style with my steps. Silkies provide no relief to friction in this area and my previous thigh gap is absolutely nonexistent. The lifting gods have forsaken me, I'm on my own now... ;_;

Cooter

Shiiit I'm slow rolling it and am aiming to show off on my honeymoon in Hawaii come mid-September. Should be the world's most gradual and slow-paced cut in history.
Those are the best kind as far as I'm concerned. Almost guarantees you maintain most if not all your size and strength.

The article I link says

I don't recommend them until you actually start hitting maxes, either. However, what he wrote, with his name attached, reads to not use it.

The honest reason? Most people I work with aren't bit enough in the trunk to use one. I got a pretty high end once and it just never worked for me.

Leather ones are better, but I find more people can just throw on a solid velcro one and still be good without having to break the belt in or worry as much about sizing.

Veezy I like you but you're reaching here. He's saying he doesn't recommend it, not to not use one. And his reasoning not to is sound advice for most people who use a belt because they are injured.

Cooper

The article I link says
<snip>

I believe English is Mehdi's second (third+?) language. It's possible that he's trying to communicate something like "Why I never recommend belts, straps, or other assistance gear to beginners with less than 6 months of solid training" and between the language and text barriers, the message got a bit garbled.

Sadetar

lol, how are your neighbors doing, was babby formed?
Hahah. I didn't end up performing any kind of manslaughter. Sadly. And they already have the loudest most screaming offspring I actually know so I hope they weren't too creative.

On another note my ankle was today so swollen and hurting I couldn't do anything. Hopefully it is better tomorrow so I can do my normal gym programme. I assume I can do some leg exercises if I am really careful even if it would still hurt a bit. Right?

Just wanted to ask this here (I don't know too much about fitness):

I haven't been able to exercise properly over a year thanks to an ingrown toenail which had to be removed, kept me out of the game, grew back ingrown and I just got another removal, which has more or less healed, but my doctor said not to do any vigorous exercises.

I also don't really have the money to put aside for a gym membership, but I do have a rowing machine lying around the house which I want to put to good use. I was wondering if rowing for around over an hour a day combined with a good diet would help me lose weight gradually? Would it build any noticeable muscle at all?

Cooter

Just wanted to ask this here (I don't know too much about fitness):

I haven't been able to exercise properly over a year thanks to an ingrown toenail which had to be removed, kept me out of the game, grew back ingrown and I just got another removal, which has more or less healed, but my doctor said not to do any vigorous exercises.

I also don't really have the money to put aside for a gym membership, but I do have a rowing machine lying around the house which I want to put to good use. I was wondering if rowing for around over an hour a day combined with a good diet would help me lose weight gradually? Would it build any noticeable muscle at all?

Yes. No.

GutsOfThor

Glad I found this thread!

I want to start excercising again but am unemployed so can't afford a gym membership. I can however afford to buy 1 set of 10lb dumbells lol. What are some good routines to tighten up my core?

I want to start excercising again but am unemployed so can't afford a gym membership. I can however afford to buy 1 set of 10lb dumbells lol. What are some good routines to tighten up my core?

If you don't have access to anything beyond 10 lbs dumbbells, I'd focus on body-weight exercises: planks, pull-ups, chin-ups, and push-ups being the best in my opinion.

Cooter

If you don't have access to anything beyond 10 lbs dumbbells, I'd focus on body-weight exercises: planks, pull-ups, chin-ups, and push-ups being the best in my opinion.
Building on this I will suggest a weight vest. Maybe 25 lbs so you can work your way up to weighted pull ups.

Building on this I will suggest a weight vest. Maybe 25 lbs so you can work your way up to weighted pull ups.

I also do staggered pull-ups. Use a towel, rope, or something else strong and hang it off the bar. Then grip one hand on that and the other hand on the bar. Having one hand below the other puts more weight on the top hand, so by swapping sides you can increase your difficulty level one each hand. I used the same technique to move into one armed pushups.

Leather ones are better, but I find more people can just throw on a solid velcro one and still be good without having to break the bank or worry as much about sizing.

Fixed. I think I may just get a velcro belt soon, they're (comparitively) quite cheap and if you get a decent one it'll do the trick just fine for a while.

I say this having only ever used decent velcro belts and never a nice leather one, but I did notice the difference immediately. Abs just felt a lot more stable with something to push against.

blackflag

Fixed. I think I may just get a velcro belt soon, they're (comparitively) quite cheap and if you get a decent one it'll do the trick just fine for a while.

I say this having only ever used decent velcro belts and never a nice leather one, but I did notice the difference immediately. Abs just felt a lot more stable with something to push against.

I have to use both. There is nothing like a good thick, wide leather belt for squatting. Velcro for everything else.

I have to use both. There is nothing like a good thick, wide leather belt for squatting. Velcro for everything else.

Is it because it forces you to keep your chest up so you don't crunch up your ribs against it or what? I would genuinely like to know which type is best for what lift & why. Articles are fine too.

Servbot24

Banned

if you have to choose buy a pull up bar rather than those dumbbells

Sadetar

As someone in here called it (I forget who... maybe FallingEdge) you should probably use the "yes/no" machine.
Now I am interested. What is the "yes/no" machine?

I don't think I have never really had a thigh gap and it would be interesting to try to achieve one. I have lately been using a similar to this one:
51awoyuanhl.jpg

Is it the same thing?

SeanR1221

Are you saying not to do BBB unless you're on PEDs?

I don't know much about periodization bible with 5/3/1, I thought it was geared more for a body building/ aesthetics route but I could be completely wrong.

Any other opinions on this? From what I read, doing the main movements can be used as a "big accessory" movement as opposed to front squats, RDLs, close grip benching, etc.

Veezy

que?
Veezy I like you but you're reaching here. He's saying he doesn't recommend it, not to not use one. And his reasoning not to is sound advice for most people who use a belt because they are injured.

I believe English is Mehdi's second (third+?) language. It's possible that he's trying to communicate something like "Why I never recommend belts, straps, or other assistance gear to beginners with less than 6 months of solid training" and between the language and text barriers, the message got a bit garbled.

I might just be taking it the wrong way. No worries.

Now I am interested. What is the "yes/no" machine?

I don't think I have never really had a thigh gap and it would be interesting to try to achieve one. I have lately been using a similar to this one:
51awoyuanhl.jpg

Is it the same thing?

I actually have no idea how to make a thigh gap specifically, though I imagine a combination of muscular legs (squats, lunges, deadlift) and medium-to-low body fat would be the trick.

And yeah, that actually is the "yes/no" machine. I'm 99% sure it was a crude joke about a person opening their legs ("yes") or closing their legs ("no") but it wasn't my name originally.

okayfrog

Banned
Noticed this thread whilst banned and now that I'm unbanned, I'd like to become a part of it. I first started lifting two years ago. Didn't really have a goal in mind, but I did SS and enjoyed it for the most part. Shifting schedule and moving out made me stop going after a few months. I went back in August or so with a different routine and things were going well, until my bike was stolen. Didn't start going back until April of the next year (2013). Did SS again and even though I stalled, I still ended up making some solid progress. Worked out until August when I stopped going. People were commenting on my form and I started feeling like going to the gym was taking up too much time, so I stopped going. However, I did enjoy lifting, so I finally got around to getting my own squat rack. Now I got a squat rack, a bench, weight plates, and a jump rope. Thinking about doing SS again, but I'm not sure what I should be eating. I can't see myself doing something like GOMAD due to its cost ($20-30 a week alone in milk). And I can't see myself having the time to eat 3k+ calories a day due to having an eight hour job with no time in the morning to make breakfast.

My goal this time? I'm 25 right now, and I would like to join the 1,000 club by 30. I know that's far away, but I'm in no rush and being able to lift a combined 1,000lbs. just sounds like fun. I would also like to look good as well. Right now, I'm 5'6" and 162lbs. of skinnyfat, which isn't too good.

Based off what I said, any eating plan I should have? I don't think I want to lose weight, no, but bulking also doesn't seem right. Of course, the lifting diet has always confused me so what do I know.

Thanks for any suggestions.

What's a good recommended lean building protein I can get from amazon? Looking to try something different, so anything you guys are having success with I'm open to give a run.

Noticed this thread whilst banned and now that I'm unbanned, I'd like to become a part of it. I first started lifting two years ago. Didn't really have a goal in mind, but I did SS and enjoyed it for the most part. Shifting schedule and moving out made me stop going after a few months. I went back in August or so with a different routine and things were going well, until my bike was stolen. Didn't start going back until April of the next year (2013). Did SS again and even though I stalled, I still ended up making some solid progress. Worked out until August when I stopped going. People were commenting on my form and I started feeling like going to the gym was taking up too much time, so I stopped going. However, I did enjoy lifting, so I finally got around to getting my own squat rack. Now I got a squat rack, a bench, weight plates, and a jump rope. Thinking about doing SS again, but I'm not sure what I should be eating. I can't see myself doing something like GOMAD due to its cost ($20-30 a week alone in milk). And I can't see myself having the time to eat 3k+ calories a day due to having an eight hour job with no time in the morning to make breakfast.

My goal this time? I'm 25 right now, and I would like to join the 1,000 club by 30. I know that's far away, but I'm in no rush and being able to lift a combined 1,000lbs. just sounds like fun. I would also like to look good as well. Right now, I'm 5'6" and 162lbs. of skinnyfat, which isn't too good.

Based off what I said, any eating plan I should have? I don't think I want to lose weight, no, but bulking also doesn't seem right. Of course, the lifting diet has always confused me so what do I know.

Thanks for any suggestions.

First, welcome.

Second, you don't need to do GOMAD to get stronger. In fact, you don't need to do anything crazy, you just need to intake more calories than you're using on a daily basis with an appropriate ratio of protein, fat, and carbs. That may sound like a lot to do, but there is a good calorie calculator in the first couple of posts in this thread. Fill in your stats and it should be pretty on-point. You aren't in a rush as you said, so if it were me, I'd just aim for a slight calorie excess to allow for a very gradual weight/muscle/strength gain.

Third, breakfast certainly isn't a necessity, but I want you to re-read what you posted. You said that because you work 8 hours a day you cannot eat breakfast. I'm not trying to be a dick, but that seems like a weak excuse to me and that mentality, IMO, can lead to more excuses which will inhibit your goals of achieving your 1,000. Don't let yourself get sucked into excuses... I have done that many times as it is very easy to do and feels so good to sometimes excuse myself from eating right, going to the gym, etc. but in the end I always end up regretting it.

My point is, I am a grad student that spends 60-80 hours a week in my lab, but I cook breakfast (eggs, oatmeal, milk, and fruit) for me and my fiancee every morning... There are single parents of three kids that cook breakfast and find the time to lift. There are people with no legs that work full-time, make all their meals, and lift 5 days a week. If they can do it, so can you.

Seriously though, I am not trying to pick on you, so please keep posting and we will be happy to help you achieve your goals.

Zoe

I actually have no idea how to make a thigh gap specifically, though I imagine a combination of muscular legs (squats, lunges, deadlift) and medium-to-low body fat would be the trick.

You're not gonna get the gap with "medium" body fat.

Zoe

Fair enough, I'm certainly no though gap expert. Also, I may have been thinking of the thigh diamond or whatever the hell it is called.

Yeah, the diamond can happen at varying weights. The gap requires below-normal body fat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom