• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

okayfrog

Banned
Second, you don't need to do GOMAD to get stronger. In fact, you don't need to do anything crazy, you just need to intake more calories than you're using on a daily basis with an appropriate ratio of protein, fat, and carbs. That may sound like a lot to do, but there is a good calorie calculator in the first couple of posts in this thread. Fill in your stats and it should be pretty on-point. You aren't in a rush as you said, so if it were me, I'd just aim for a slight calorie excess to allow for a very gradual weight/muscle/strength gain.
I did that before posting. Got 1832 on rest days and 2748 on lift days. That sounds doable.
Third, breakfast certainly isn't a necessity, but I want you to re-read what you posted. You said that because you work 8 hours a day you cannot eat breakfast. I'm not trying to be a dick, but that seems like a weak excuse to me and that mentality, IMO, can lead to more excuses which will inhibit your goals of achieving your 1,000. Don't let yourself get sucked into excuses... I have done that many times as it is very easy to do and feels so good to sometimes excuse myself from eating right, going to the gym, etc. but in the end I always end up regretting it.

My point is, I am a grad student that spends 60-80 hours a week in my lab, but I cook breakfast (eggs, oatmeal, milk, and fruit) for me and my fiancee every morning... There are single parents of three kids that cook breakfast and find the time to lift. There are people with no legs that work full-time, make all their meals, and lift 5 days a week. If they can do it, so can you.

Seriously though, I am not trying to pick on you, so please keep posting and we will be happy to help you achieve your goals.

Yeah, I understand that you're not trying to insult me or be a dick or anything, but the thing is that I've heard that all the time, either from /fit/ or other websites. People saying things like, "Well I can do it, many others can do it," doesn't motivate me to do it. All it tells me is that all those people ARE better than me and always will be. I don't want to be compared to other people. I stopped lifting because I became aware that others were looking at me whilst lifting, meaning there were comparisons being made, meaning that I would then have to live up to or best others expectations. And that's why I stopped. I couldn't stand it. So again, I appreciate that you're trying to help, but things like what you said are what got me to stop lifting. I make excuses. That's what I do. Lifting isn't my job or my dream or anything, it's just something I am somewhat passionate about doing, and I want to do it mostly under my conditions. I already wake up at 6am. Now I'm sure I can make some dinner before leaving at 7am or so, but knowing me, I might not. I could change, but I'm probably not going to. I've tried many times in the past and being reminded that I'm not good enough compared to others and never will be kept me from trying to change.

Again, I don't want to hear about what you can do that's better than me or what someone else can do that makes them better than me. I want to hear about what I can do -- POSSIBLY, what I can possibly do, not that I will definitely do or what I need to do, just what I can possibly do to better myself. Breakfast is a possibility. I like taking time out of my day to lift (so long as it's at home). I sometimes enjoy cooking. I don't like all the time cooking takes up. "Well I cook this and it takes no time." It'll take 30+ minutes for me, guaranteed. Guaranteed. Guaranteed. I'll fuck something up or forget some ingredients or have to wash dishes or whatever. These are all excuses, I know, but they're excuses I need to live with because I'm not going to get over them.

So they're all somewhat constants that I need to keep in mind when I wish to lift (or do anything else in life, really). I either need to find a way around them or find a way around them while at the same time slowly easing them in and seeing that I can make them a constant. Being told that I should be able to make breakfast just makes me feel like crap because I know that I can't always make breakfast, that that's not me.

Sorry for the wall of text, just kinda bothered now.

blackflag

What's a good recommended lean building protein I can get from amazon? Looking to try something different, so anything you guys are having success with I'm open to give a run.

it's really pretty much the same unless you are getting some kind of mass gainer. Just get a whey protein powder. Muscle Pharm combat powder tastes good imo.

blackflag

Fair enough, I'm certainly no though gap expert. Also, I may have been thinking of the thigh diamond or whatever the hell it is called.

My girl has a thigh gap I honestly don't see what the big deal is but I'm a lover of most body types so maybe it's just not important to me .

Posted in the wrestling thread but me wiith pro wrestlers Adam Cole and Jay Lethal.

wVbLaSu.jpg

marking out!

it's really pretty much the same unless you are getting some kind of mass gainer. Just get a whey protein powder. Muscle Pharm combat powder tastes good imo.
Thats cool, I'll give it a shot. I eat a lot throughout the day, but I love taking a nice shake right after a workout.

Posted in the wrestling thread but me wiith pro wrestlers Adam Cole and Jay Lethal.

marking out!

That genuine smile is priceless. Haven't heard about Lethal in a while. Awesome stuff. I like how you look bigger than both of them lol

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I did that before posting. Got 1832 on rest days and 2748 on lift days. That sounds doable.

Yeah, I understand that you're not trying to insult me or be a dick or anything, but the thing is that I've heard that all the time, either from /fit/ or other websites. People saying things like, "Well I can do it, many others can do it," doesn't motivate me to do it. All it tells me is that all those people ARE better than me and always will be. I don't want to be compared to other people. I stopped lifting because I became aware that others were looking at me whilst lifting, meaning there were comparisons being made, meaning that I would then have to live up to or best others expectations. And that's why I stopped. I couldn't stand it. So again, I appreciate that you're trying to help, but things like what you said are what got me to stop lifting. I make excuses. That's what I do. Lifting isn't my job or my dream or anything, it's just something I am somewhat passionate about doing, and I want to do it mostly under my conditions. I already wake up at 6am. Now I'm sure I can make some dinner before leaving at 7am or so, but knowing me, I might not. I could change, but I'm probably not going to. I've tried many times in the past and being reminded that I'm not good enough compared to others and never will be kept me from trying to change.

Again, I don't want to hear about what you can do that's better than me or what someone else can do that makes them better than me. I want to hear about what I can do -- POSSIBLY, what I can possibly do, not that I will definitely do or what I need to do, just what I can possibly do to better myself. Breakfast is a possibility. I like taking time out of my day to lift (so long as it's at home). I sometimes enjoy cooking. I don't like all the time cooking takes up. "Well I cook this and it takes no time." It'll take 30+ minutes for me, guaranteed. Guaranteed. Guaranteed. I'll fuck something up or forget some ingredients or have to wash dishes or whatever. These are all excuses, I know, but they're excuses I need to live with because I'm not going to get over them.

So they're all somewhat constants that I need to keep in mind when I wish to lift (or do anything else in life, really). I either need to find a way around them or find a way around them while at the same time slowly easing them in and seeing that I can make them a constant. Being told that I should be able to make breakfast just makes me feel like crap because I know that I can't always make breakfast, that that's not me.

I would seek professional help. That's my opinion. This attitude and outlook will surely cause many more problems in your life much more important than lifting weights.

Hey, I apologize for making you feel bothered. Really, sincerely, my intention was not to say you're not good enough or that you not making breakfast is going to dead-end your progress. Forget what I said about breakfast. The first paragraph of your reply regarding the suggested calroie intake being doable - that's the important part, not the breakfast crap. Get those calories in whenever you can through out the day, hit the gym on consistently, and boom, you can reach your goal, breakfast be damned.

I feel like we got off on the wrong foot here, so again, I'm sorry for that. You mentioned SS and since you have all the equipment at home, I think that's a great routine for you to get back into lifting. You also mentioned being annoyed with people commenting on your form - I can understand and relate to that and you can keep in mind that if you do ever want some advice on your form, you could post videos here for advice... And, of course, there is no obligation to do so. Whatever you decide, I wish you best of luck and I hope I didn't frustrate you straight on out of this thread.

The bottom line is this: eat and lift and you'll be happier and healthier, but I suspect you already know this, hence you getting all that equipment and already having tried SS in the past.

okayfrog

Banned
I would seek professional help. That's my opinion. This attitude and outlook will surely cause many more problems in your life much more important than lifting weights.
Thanks for helping me by putting me down even further and telling me something I already know. I hope you feel better about yourself because I certainly don't feel better. Seriously, I honestly sincerely hope that saying that made you feel better.
Hey, I apologize for making you feel bothered. Really, sincerely, my intention was not to say you're not good enough or that you not making breakfast is going to dead-end your progress. Forget what I said about breakfast. The first paragraph of your reply regarding the suggested calroie intake being doable - that's the important part, not the breakfast crap. Get those calories in whenever you can through out the day, hit the gym on consistently, and boom, you can reach your goal, breakfast be damned.

I feel like we got off on the wrong foot here, so again, I'm sorry for that. You mentioned SS and since you have all the equipment at home, I think that's a great routine for you to get back into lifting. You also mentioned being annoyed with people commenting on your form - I can understand and relate to that and you can keep in mind that if you do ever want some advice on your form, you could post videos here for advice... And, of course, there is no obligation to do so. Whatever you decide, I wish you best of luck and I hope I didn't frustrate you straight on out of this thread.

The bottom line is this: eat and lift and you'll be happier and healthier, but I suspect you already know this, hence you getting all that equipment and already having tried SS in the past.
Thanks, bud. We didn't get off on the wrong foot; it's alright. You didn't do anything wrong. I'm wrong, and if others aren't okay with that, that's cool. It's understandable to not be okay with someone being so hellaciously stubborn or wrong. I should eat breakfast, and hopefully I'll get in the habit of cooking some food in the morning. I bought a bunch of oats when I first started working out, but it would end up being an hour and a half long process to cook and eat them all. Guess I need to work on that. Of course there's eggs and meat and whatnot, but heating up the griddle takes 5-10 minutes already. Again, I just need to work on it.

As for form, what bothered me wasn't that my form was bad -- I knew my form was bad. What bothered me was that everyone felt the need to correct my form when I already knew it was bad. I'm okay with being told I'm doing something wrong when I don't know I'm doing it wrong, but when I do know that I'm doing something wrong and still told by someone else that I was doing something wrong, that gets to me. Like, I'd be squatting, I'd get down there, and I'd think, "Well, this is too heavy. I can either drop it here or force my way back up with shitty form." I do the latter, knowing my form is shitty, and see in the mirror some guy walking toward me. "Oh boy, here we go..." Then I have to hear him go on and on about how I'm gonna break my back, about how he stopped doing squats -- oh, look, somebody else needs to chime in. Now they're talking about not doing squats, walking through the gym doors when they're 70, etc.. Goddammit. I know I did something wrong. There was no right answer to that problem. Just... get away. Stop it.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

marking out!

It's such a dope photo because FE is MUCH larger than 2 pro wrestlers. Beef mode activated

and goddammit that shit feels GOOD!

Cooter

Thanks for helping me by putting me down even further and telling me something I already know. I hope you feel better about yourself because I certainly don't feel better. Seriously, I honestly sincerely hope that saying that made you feel better.
Not one bit. There is absolutely nothing wrong with talking to a professional nor is it something to be ashamed of. Hence, someone suggesting it shouldn't be construed as a put down. When I see someone basically give up and admit that their issues cannot be resolved, that is the advice I offer. You can take it however you want but it was not meant as a derogatory statement. If anything it was said out of concern.

okayfrog

Banned
Not one bit. There is absolutely nothing wrong with talking to a professional nor is it something to be ashamed of. Hence, someone suggesting it shouldn't be construed as a put down. When I see someone basically give up and admit that their issues cannot be resolved, that is the advice I offer. You can take it however you want but it was not meant as a derogatory statement. If anything it was said out of concern.
Ahh, so it does make you feel better about yourself. Well that's cool. Like I said, as long as it makes you feel better about yourself, s'all good.

Cooter

Ahh, so it does make you feel better about yourself. Well that's cool. Like I said, as long as it makes you feel better about yourself, s'all good.
How did you get that from my post? Whatever dude. Keep swimming in your pool of self pity and keep snapping at anyone who offers a hand to help pull you out. I'm done responding to your posts. Good luck with your fitness goals.

Veezy

que?

Would you like to hear the story about how I drank a fifth of whiskey everyday because when I was sober I wanted to blow my brains out because the bottle of pills didn't do me in? Or the time that I had to eat mustard so I could trick myself into not being hungry because I had to go for weeks without food? Maybe you'd like to know about when I had to live in my car the same time my grandfather, who I was incredibly close to, passed away? Despite that, all that, I made it. With help.

Your attitude is defeatist. It's not healthy and continuing to feel that way will only drive you lower. You, seriously, need professional help if you, legit, feel the way you posted.

Cooter wasn't being a cock, he was giving you real help. You don't need a personal trainer, you need a psychotherapist.

okayfrog

Banned
How did you get that from my post? Whatever dude. Keep swimming in your pool of self pity and keep snapping at anyone who offers a hand to help pull you out. I'm done responding to your posts. Good luck with your fitness goals.
But it's not help. I mean... ugh, I'm sorry, it's just nobody seems to get it. What might help some people doesn't always help others, get it? You can't approach everyone the same way. Your "help" will probably help 99% of others, but not me. Is there any way you could ever see that point of view? Please say yes.
Would you like to hear the story about how I drank a fifth of whiskey everyday because when I was sober I wanted to blow my brains out because the bottle of pills didn't do me in? Or the time that I had to eat mustard so I could trick myself into not being hungry because I had to go for weeks without food? Maybe you'd like to know about when I had to live in my car the same time my grandfather, who I was incredibly close to, passed away? Despite that, all that, I made it. With help.

Your attitude is defeatist. It's not healthy and continuing to feel that way will only drive you lower. You, seriously, need professional help if you, legit, feel the way you posted.

Cooter wasn't being a cock, he was giving you real help. You don't need a personal trainer, you need a psychotherapist.
Again, thanks for help. Jeeze, what I need to do it seems is stop talking to others as all others want to do is make me feel like shit.

I'm not gonna dance around the fact that you just said you wished to kill yourself and that you had a drinking problem. You did. My issues aren't that severe, no, but does that mean that I need to act the same way as you to improve myself? No. You know what helps me? Encouragement. Telling me that what I'm doing is right. But of course others won't do that because they'll think, "Well what he wants to do is wrong, I shouldn't encourage that!" but what makes me happy isn't entirely doing things right, but rather that I did what I set myself out to do, get it? It isn't self-defeatist -- though sometimes I am setting myself up for defeat. The only people who can defeat me are others. If I was the last person in the world, I would succeed and enjoy my time because I'd be doing nothing but encouraging myself. I mean, who am I going to compare myself to? Only myself.

Please, please don't follow this up with something like, "Well you have problems." I know I have problems. I know. I know. I know. I've known for years. Can you possibly let that go?

Thanks, bud. We didn't get off on the wrong foot; it's alright. You didn't do anything wrong. I'm wrong, and if others aren't okay with that, that's cool. It's understandable to not be okay with someone being so hellaciously stubborn or wrong. I should eat breakfast, and hopefully I'll get in the habit of cooking some food in the morning. I bought a bunch of oats when I first started working out, but it would end up being an hour and a half long process to cook and eat them all. Guess I need to work on that. Of course there's eggs and meat and whatnot, but heating up the griddle takes 5-10 minutes already. Again, I just need to work on it.

Ok, my bit of commentary:

You don't have to cook breakfast. Put milk in glass, add some whey, eat some pecans, cut a fruit (apples are nice because they take several days before getting rotten) and off you go. Or do as Soka says and skip it then shove those calories later. In the evening cook something easy. Pasta takes 15 minutes for the whole process since boiling, baked potatoes take about 1 hour in the oven but you don't have to prepare them and you can browse Neogaf while you cook, eggs are easy shit, rice may take a few more minutes of doing literally nothing, more milk, some cheese. You don't like carbs? Eat tuna from the can, lots of eggs, cottage cheese with your favorite nuts, peanut butter, throw some oil into the tuna. I don't prepare meat because it makes a mess, but maybe some deli or bacon which is very quick and delicious and throw it into the eggs. And so on. Barely any cooking and chopping and cutting and slicing, ew.

I also hate when others say to go to therapy, as the costs incurred would make me feel more miserable lol, but Cooter is offering his genuine advice from good will. He is like the least asshole here and if you disagree you can just ignore instead of inciting conflict bro.

okayfrog

Banned
Ok, my bit of commentary:

You don't have to cook breakfast. Put milk in glass, add some whey, eat some pecans, cut a fruit (apples are nice because they take several days before getting rotten) and off you go. Or do as Soka says and skip it then shove those calories later. In the evening cook something easy. Pasta takes 15 minutes for the whole process since boiling, baked potatoes take about 1 hour in the oven but you don't have to prepare them and you can browse Neogaf while you cook, eggs are easy shit, rice may take a few more minutes of doing literally nothing, more milk, some cheese. You don't like carbs? Eat tuna from the can, lots of eggs, cottage cheese with your favorite nuts, peanut butter, throw some oil into the tuna. I don't prepare meat because it makes a mess, but maybe some deli or bacon which is very quick and delicious and throw it into the eggs. And so on. Barely any cooking and chopping and cutting and slicing, ew.

I also hate when others say to go to therapy, as the costs incurred would make me feel more miserable lol, but Cooter is offering his genuine advice from good will. He is like the least asshole here and if you disagree you can just ignore instead of inciting conflict bro.
I'm not trying to incite conflict. I don't want conflict. It's just I'm not good with talking to people and people are not good with helping me. It's like, I need to give people a step-by-step guide on how to help me and it's understandable that people would get bothered by it. I kinda just think that if they're bothered and unwilling to help me the way I wish to be helped, then at least there's a chance they might feel better about themselves knowing they're better than me. I dunno, I do this shit everywhere I go. I kinda wish I didn't, but I do because I want help. Hell, what pushed me over the edge on buying this squat rack was when I went onto an online therapy site (that I was once banned from) and said to the person a bunch of crap about how I'm a loser and followed it up with, "... and that means I should totally buy a squat rack, right?" She said, "Yes," and I went and bought a squat rack and hopefully it'll help improve my life. I mean, of course I have to use the damn thing, sleep well, and eat right, but I have a good feeling I'll be able to do that as I want to lift more. I only have 2 45lb. plates at the moment and I want to get to the point where I need 3, then 4. I want that not to be better than anyone else, but to know that I have improved. If I'm way too annoying, please tell me to stop posting in this thread and I will.

As for the food suggestions, all that sounds good. Some of it is what I was doing before (tuna and eggs), others rather new (pasta and potatoes). What's the benefit of potatoes? And what type of oil would I put in the tuna? Before I had tuna with mayonnaise and that was fine. I even have some low fat mayonnaise in the fridge at the moment and several cans of tuna (as soon as the bench comes in and I start working out again, I'mma go on a shopping run and definitely pick up at least 30 cans of tuna).

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Elgintensity's latest hate mail video is great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bvzr9Vmc5O4

Yep!

I haven't started back squatting yet, and it is what caused my injury in the first place. So when I start squatting, that may be the real test. Might switch to lowbar. Hoping for the best since squats are my favorite

Squats don't bother me at all it's just regular DLs and physical labour work, lifting heavy shit off the floor at work. My back locks up and it's quite painful to even move and bend over.

As for the food suggestions, all that sounds good. Some of it is what I was doing before (tuna and eggs), others rather new (pasta and potatoes). What's the benefit of potatoes? And what type of oil would I put in the tuna? Before I had tuna with mayonnaise and that was fine. I even have some low fat mayonnaise in the fridge at the moment and several cans of tuna (as soon as the bench comes in and I start working out again, I'mma go on a shopping run and definitely pick up at least 30 cans of tuna).

Potatoes and pasta are mostly starchy carbs, plus a few protein grams and fiber which is always good, so they are perfect for bulking after workout. Unless for some reason you want to go low-carb to lose weight fast or because you have insulin deficiencies, in which case avoid them. But otherwise you don't want to look like this dude here

lrsOZWP.gif

Do you?

And for oils I use a MCT oil which is supposed to have thermogenic effects so it's good for my first meal after fasting or anytime really. Coconut oil and olive oil are great too, just never use those things for frying. Mayonnaise is fine too and you don't need to go low-fat unless it exceeds your total caloric intake. Let the fat nourish you

okayfrog

Banned
I'm in no rush to lose weight. According to BMI, I am overweight, but I know that that's a load of malarkey. I got no problem staying this weight or putting on a few pounds and turning it into muscle. I was up to 185 or so before, so this is nothing. Good to hear about potatoes. I like potatoes, but I've actually never really cooked them -- I mean, other than frozen fries or hash browns. Baked potato sounds damn good. Thanks for the oil suggestion, btw. As for that dude: He looks better than me, lol. 'cept for that chest tattoo.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Since everyone else is doing it I will too..my first selfie for the thread. Sorry but it's the best picture I was able to take for some reason. I'm a few weeks into a cut. 5'8 and low 180s right now. Also 4 months post-gyno-op.

cuumiHc.jpg

despire

So I was doing RFLD for the last week to catch up on my diet. Idea was to do it for 11-12 days before continueing with UD2.0. Didn't weigh myself all week and was quite stunned to see today that I lost 4kg from Mon to Sat. Some of it water of course but still. 4 kg in a week is a fucking lot especially when I've been dieting before.

The problem here is that during these few days I somehow managed to get down to ~15% BF now which makes me Category 1 dieter in RLFD. I'd need to up my protein to ~280g which is over a 100g more than I'm eating now. Can't afford to eat more meat which would mean that I'd have to bump my intake of whey (and cottage cheese) which would bump up my calories by almost a half.

Thinking whether or not I should just have some kind of a refeed during this weekend and start with UD2.0 on tuesday. I would probably lose about the same amount of fat on both approaches (RFLD Cat 1 vs. UD2.0).

As a bonus here's a full frontal from this morning:
http://i.imgur.com/xYLHCkp.jpg

Skinny bastard but don't judge me :)

First, welcome.

Second, you don't need to do GOMAD to get stronger. In fact, you don't need to do anything crazy, you just need to intake more calories than you're using on a daily basis with an appropriate ratio of protein, fat, and carbs. That may sound like a lot to do, but there is a good calorie calculator in the first couple of posts in this thread. Fill in your stats and it should be pretty on-point. You aren't in a rush as you said, so if it were me, I'd just aim for a slight calorie excess to allow for a very gradual weight/muscle/strength gain.

Third, breakfast certainly isn't a necessity, but I want you to re-read what you posted. You said that because you work 8 hours a day you cannot eat breakfast. I'm not trying to be a dick, but that seems like a weak excuse to me and that mentality, IMO, can lead to more excuses which will inhibit your goals of achieving your 1,000. Don't let yourself get sucked into excuses... I have done that many times as it is very easy to do and feels so good to sometimes excuse myself from eating right, going to the gym, etc. but in the end I always end up regretting it.

My point is, I am a grad student that spends 60-80 hours a week in my lab, but I cook breakfast (eggs, oatmeal, milk, and fruit) for me and my fiancee every morning... There are single parents of three kids that cook breakfast and find the time to lift. There are people with no legs that work full-time, make all their meals, and lift 5 days a week. If they can do it, so can you.

Seriously though, I am not trying to pick on you, so please keep posting and we will be happy to help you achieve your goals.

Word. Soka spitting the truth.

ILoveBish

I hit the gym today after a long day, pumped myself up and then hurt my elbow warming up doing shoulder dislocations. I didn't GAF. I went and started my 5s set for bench. But everything happens for a reason. Because my elbow was giving me problems, my body decided that it was time for me to finally use my legs for bench press.

It all happened naturally, as I pushed up, I finally got the right feel to the legs and it made the lift so much easier. I think bench numbers are going to go up quite a bit real soon. I'm so glad I am able to push through when things happen at the gym. Damn I'm still so pumped. Fitgaf does it.

marking out!

You look so happy man. Awesome picture broseph.

Sadetar

I actually have no idea how to make a thigh gap specifically, though I imagine a combination of muscular legs (squats, lunges, deadlift) and medium-to-low body fat would be the trick.

And yeah, that actually is the "yes/no" machine. I'm 99% sure it was a crude joke about a person opening their legs ("yes") or closing their legs ("no") but it wasn't my name originally.
Hahah, I am so going to start to call that machine like that. :p

Also my legs are already somewhat muscular, but I have waaaayyyy too high body fat for the thigh gap. I assume I was actually referring to the diamond that someone mentioned in here since I actually think, that even if I would be underweight I most likely wouldn't have the mentioned proper thigh gap. Just how my legs are I assume.

marking out!
You are always such a sexy beast.

So I was doing RFLD for the last week to catch up on my diet. Idea was to do it for 11-12 days before continueing with UD2.0. Didn't weigh myself all week and was quite stunned to see today that I lost 4kg from Mon to Sat. Some of it water of course but still. 4 kg in a week is a fucking lot especially when I've been dieting before.

The problem here is that during these few days I somehow managed to get down to ~15% BF now which makes me Category 1 dieter in RLFD. I'd need to up my protein to ~280g which is over a 100g more than I'm eating now. Can't afford to eat more meat which would mean that I'd have to bump my intake of whey (and cottage cheese) which would bump up my calories by almost a half.

Thinking whether or not I should just have some kind of a refeed during this weekend and start with UD2.0 on tuesday. I would probably lose about the same amount of fat on both approaches (RFLD Cat 1 vs. UD2.0).

As a bonus here's a full frontal from this morning:
http://i.imgur.com/xYLHCkp.jpg

Skinny bastard but don't judge me :)
Hahahah, I love the way you censored some particular parts of you. And honey, yes, you need to eat more. :p Nice legs and arms though. *pat pat*

despire

Hahahah, I love the way you censored some particular parts of you. And honey, yes, you need to eat more. :p Nice legs and arms though. *pat pat*

Yes well this wasn't the only place I posted the picture and didn't want to make more versions :p

Also I wanna to my goal of ~12 bf% before bulkingo it goes better :)

Sadetar

Not last time I checked :p
I am fairly sure he was referring to your "head nipple".

Yes well this wasn't the only place I posted the picture and didn't want to make more versions :p

Also I wanna to my goal of ~12 bf% before bulkingo it goes better :)
Hahah, I see. Fair enough. I was already thinking do you want to hide your identity and that do I have any chances of knowing you from somewhere.

I am myself trying to get my back in better condition. At the same time I wouldn't mind either growing my muscle mass or losing some fat.

Long post warning.

I'm starting to do a bit of research for my upcoming (and first ever real honest-to-goodness) cut, which I plan to start June 1st. I could use some advice; here's my info, although I think a few of you are already aware of it, in case this helps:

Height: 5'9"
Weight: 178; ~17% body fat (A few recent pictures that I've posted on here in the last month: #1, #2, #3)
Goal: Reduce my body fat with minimal muscle loss between June 1st and mid-September, then just stick to maintenance assuming the cut goes decently... hoping for around 12-13% body fat, but I'm not strict on any set number. I love lifting and my main goals are in this order: 1) Health, 2) Aesthetics, 3) Functional strength. If I get big along the way (but maintain a healthy body fat) so be it, as long as I'm healthy, look good, and strong I don't care about the rest of the stuff. Right now though, my wedding and honeymoon are coming up in mid-September... so you know, I'd like to look even better for my fiancee, especially while we're on the beaches in Maui. Yeah I'm vain, come at me brah.
Current Training Schedule: 5/3/1 (3 days/week one week, then 4 days/week the next), 30 minutes of biking (5 days/week, commuting), various yard work (6 hours on the weekends). I'd classify my lifestyle as "light activity" according to the IF Calculator.
Comments: I started 5/3/1 in early August last year. I was 170 lbs to start, so I've put on 8 lbs in that time, which I consider to be an extremely reasonable rate of weight gain (basically ~1 lb/month). Here are my lifts, first my old 1RM followed by my current 1RM-2RM (both actual, not calculated) in lbs:

Squat: 225, now 270
Deadlift: 270, now 320
Bench: 175, now 205
OHP: 90, now 125

I know those aren't huge numbers, but I'm happy with the gradual, consistent progress I've made since last August. When I started 5/3/1, I realized I had drastically over-estimated my actual 1RMs based on calculations... especially combined with correcting my form significantly in each lift; now I roll with below parallel squats (previously slightly above parallel), zero leg drive for OHP, proper lower body utilization in bench, etc. Still room for improvement in each in terms of form, but definitely improved.

OK, so, back to the cutting. I used the IF Calculator in the OP and got the following:

So, my first question: Does this make sense for my goals/my cut? It looks very doable and reasonable to me. To gain my last ~8 lbs, I've been eating around 2800 calories a day on average. Since this is an IF Calculator, do I need to actual follow with the fasting portion of this, or can I just eat my 3-4 meals a day as usual as long as I hit my macros?

Second question: What lifting routine should I use while on my cut? I am not sure if 5/3/1 makes sense on a cut, but I'm totally inexperienced with this. This is my biggest concern right now to be honest as I'm pretty confident with the eating and resting portion of the cut. My current routine, not including my commuting via biking:

Day 1
Squat 5/3/1
Dumbbell sidebends 3x10 per side
Barbell lunges 3x10 per leg

Day 2
OHP 5/3/1
Dumbbell bench 3x15
Preacher curls 3x12
Shrugs 3x12

Day 3
Deadlift 5/3/1
Leg press 3x15
Cable rows 3x10
Front squat 3x5

Day 4 (I only lift 3.5 days a week, so this often rolls into the next week; I generally lift Sun/Tues/Thurs/Sat one week then Mon/Wed/Fri then repeat)
Bench 5/3/1
Bent-over rows 3x12
Dips 3x12
Pull-ups 3xas many as I can

So, I know this isn't a perfect routine, but I hit the big lifts first, then throw on some accessory movements with increased reps to help out with my aesthetic goals. I'm always looking for advice with this sort of stuff, but now, I'm wondering if this routine is sustainable on a cut, or if I should swap it out completely for something else. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Pizoxuat

I actually have no idea how to make a thigh gap specifically, though I imagine a combination of muscular legs (squats, lunges, deadlift) and medium-to-low body fat would be the trick.

A thigh gap is caused by extremely low bodyfat percentage, not much muscle, but most importantly is your pelvis shape. There's a pretty decent chance that no matter how much fat a person drops they will never have a thigh gap in a normal standing pose because it is so dependent on your skeleton. It's not a goal I'd recommend people chase. You can always fake it in selfies by rotating your pelvis back anyway.

I had to google thigh gap.... what? Is this like a specific thing people are into? Just trying to develop some understanding of why this is important.

I had to google thigh gap.... what? Is this like a specific thing people are into? Just trying to develop some understanding of why this is important.

Yes, I guess that's the jist of it. I personally don't think I've ever noticed it until someone mentioned it to me a few weeks ago (on GAF).

Also, I agree with Sean's post below, assuming he means the diamond under the vag is the sexy one.

SeanR1221

I think it started as "dat gap" which is the diamond shape under the vag when the thighs touch.

Now it's turned into thigh gap which is like a literal canyon between the legs.

One is sexy one is freaky.

GrapeApes

How accurate are calipers and body fat calculators? I bought one like 2 weeks ago and I've ranged from 9.46 to like 12.53. I just measure chest, abs, and thigh. I definitely don't feel like I'm below 10%.

blackflag

How accurate are calipers and body fat calculators? I bought one like 2 weeks ago and I've ranged from 9.46 to like 12.53. I just measure chest, abs, and thigh. I definitely don't feel like I'm below 10%.

It's very hard to get anywhere close if you aren't trained to do it and if you are doing it on yourself. Even with someone who knows how to do it, it isn't all that accurate.

Powercast

Are you saying not to do BBB unless you're on PEDs?

I don't know much about periodization bible with 5/3/1, I thought it was geared more for a body building/ aesthetics route but I could be completely wrong.

Any other opinions on this? From what I read, doing the main movements can be used as a "big accessory" movement as opposed to front squats, RDLs, close grip benching, etc.

Well you could do it and make gains on it, I just don't think it's optimal since it doesn't consider the fact that without peds, protein synthesis only remains elevated for 24h-48h after training.
Most Strength oriented athletes I follow usually do some kind of Upper/Lower split, so that's why I prefer the Periodization template or something similar if you really want to go with 531.

They can tell you if you're gaining or losing - If measure with a consistent technique in the same spots and the numbers go down, you are losing fat. The percentages you get are just estimates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom