• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matugi

did someone say selfie saturday?

69t4MIT.jpg

SeanR1221

Can't wait to get back to lifting this week. Vacation was great but I'm bloated beyond belief right now. Will be easy to get back on track.

The sushi there actually wasn't very good at all. But the Mexican food. Oh man. I had so many tacos, quesadillas and chips with quac. Not to mention all the alcohol out by the pool bar. The Indonesian food was amazing too.

I'll probably take it easy on the gym this week and I'll start reading the iron sport method (after consulting with Brolic and Petrie on some different programming ideas).

Should start iron sport next week.

ColR100

First post to fitness-gaf, but I have a question regarding lower weight + more reps vs. heavy weight + less reps when wanting to increase muscle size.

I started out at the gym about ten months ago with myself weighing around 63kg at that time. I now weigh 70kg, which is the ten months progress, but I don't think this is remarkable progress in the slightest.

Hit the 70kg mark since the start of the year, and it feels like I've been on a plateau ever since.

My aims are to currently increase the size of my chest, shoulders and arms, which relays back to my first question. My 'go to' person about gym stuff suggests that if I want to just focus on size, then lower weight + more reps is the way forward. Any input? Many thanks.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Thanks guys. And yeah, my forearms... completely disproportionate. Haha

First post to fitness-gaf, but I have a question regarding lower weight + more reps vs. heavy weight + less reps when wanting to increase muscle size.

I started out at the gym about ten months ago with myself weighing around 63kg at that time. I now weigh 70kg, which is the ten months progress, but I don't think this is remarkable progress in the slightest.

Hit the 70kg mark since the start of the year, and it feels like I've been on a plateau ever since.

My aims are to currently increase the size of my chest, shoulders and arms, which relays back to my first question. My 'go to' person about gym stuff suggests that if I want to just focus on size, then lower weight + more reps is the way forward. Any input? Many thanks.

I hear the same stuff about hi rep work building more size. Most body builders subscribe to this theory so there must be some truth to it. At the same time, they are filled up with a concoction of PEDs so I don't know if it translates to naturals. I personally do a hybrid pyramid program usually staring at 10 and following it with 8,6,4 while I increase my weight. Mostly stick to this except for a few exceptions. I'm curious to hear the responses to your question.

J. Bravo

i did PHAT for like 4 weeks and noticed a size increase. before that all i did was strength based stuff. i ate pretty much the same. now 'im trying veezy's workout and it's only been a week so i can't say much other than it's hard.

Near the end of the third post on the first page of this thread is a little black and white graphic that shows what rep ranges build what (strength, muscle size, pain tolerance, etc). I believe it is fairly accurate, at least generally-speaking, and you should check it out if you haven't. Everything I've learned suggests the fastest way to larger muscles is low weight high rep... Within reason of course; I don't think you want to crank out 200 reps of 1 lb dumbbell curls in order to build your bicep size.

Cooter is that really a Supes shirt? I can't.

pH3E9B4.jpg

Don't need no alien powers to get anywhere, brah.

Nah, you look great as always. Keep it up. Seriously, I think every pic of yours is pretty damn amazing. If you swung my way you would be a huge hit among my friends, lol.

Also, I finally started back on my old cardio routine of HIIT/Tabata cycling 2x a week, and moderate cardio 3x a week and it feels good. I really want to get into cycling seriously, but I don't know what that would do to my physique, plus it would take a shitton of training. I have pretty poor cardiovascular health. I get by.

Cooter

Cooter is that really a Supes shirt? I can't.

pH3E9B4.jpg

Don't need no alien powers to get anywhere, brah.

Nah, you look great as always. Keep it up. Seriously, I think every pic of yours is pretty damn amazing. If you swung my way you would be a huge hit among my friends, lol.

Also, I finally started back on my old cardio routine of HIIT/Tabata cycling 2x a week, and moderate cardio 3x a week and it feels good. I really want to get into cycling seriously, but I don't know what that would do to my physique, plus it would take a shitton of training. I have pretty poor cardiovascular health. I get by.
Hell yeah it is! Superman is my guy! I have about 4 different ones. Digging yours also. Thanks for the complement. As usual, you always cheer me up. It's like being told by Peyton Manning you're a good QB!

I swing heavily to the other side but it's nice to hear I would be appreciated on the other team! Ha

Darths pics are always fun and inspiring at the same time.

Went to a different gym today that had much newer equipment. All the plates were octagonal with little hand holds which make picking them up much easier. On the downside, it makes deadlifiting a bit annoying since resetting the bar every rep is a lot more work since the barbell doesn't roll cleanly. Ended up splitting open both shins while deadlifting as a result. This gym has basically one large room which is a big difference than my usual one where the free weights are separated from the cardio and machines.

Imm0rt4l

Guess I'll join in with my ig post from yesterday

10388009_324173547736841_756004808_n.jpg

I don't wear sleeves to the gym if I can help it. In doing so I pay homage to ABROham Lincoln #abolishsleevery
Holy shit, that was amazing.

It really was, I like this guys style. I have a friend that's training under lilliebridge, I hope his training is a lot more personal than the e-book purportedly.

Sadetar

I worked over 13 hours and ended my work on midnight. I will be working today early in the morning. It is over 3 am at the moment.

Yet I am not in bed but basicly just drooling every damn photo in here.

...Dammit.

I also missed this awesome selfie Saturday thingie that was going on... I might join "lets die out boredom at work on Sunday" though, if that is alright. (And if I manage to look even remotely human when I crawl out from the bed in the morning.)

I don't wear sleeves to the gym if I can help it. In doing so I pay homage to ABROham Lincoln #abolishsleevery
Hey, you are perfectly fine without sleeves. Or well, I think I even prefer you sleevless.

The thing I don't understand is those ridiculously long shirts on men. I can understand on some level if a female is wearing leggings and don't want to show the ass to everyone, but what is your excuse?

Hell yeah it is! Superman is my guy! I have about 4 different ones. Digging yours also. Thanks for the complement. As usual, you always cheer me up. It's like being told by Peyton Manning you're a good QB!
He is so adorable, isn't he. ^_^

I need to add that DarthWufei and Cooter, both of you look superb.

Selfie Saturday?

am I doing filters right?
Everything is not only right but quite much perfect.

You are like an updated version from a teddy. I can easily understand if females want to have a toy like you in bed.

Don't forget about the bullshit "bikini bridge"
Yes, that is utter nonsense.

I think it started as "dat gap" which is the diamond shape under the vag when the thighs touch.

Now it's turned into thigh gap which is like a literal canyon between the legs.

One is sexy one is freaky.
Exactly.

When I said I want a thigh gap I didn't even know it was "the thing" at the moment and I was referring to that diamond shape you are talking about. It seems I am so last season and don't even know the proper terms.

Imm0rt4l

Hey, you are perfectly fine without sleeves. Or well, I think I even prefer you sleevless.

The thing I don't understand is those ridiculously long shirts on men. I can understand on some level if a female is wearing leggings and don't want to show the ass to everyone, but what is your excuse?

haha to my credit, I was significantly heavier when I got the tee. I ordered it online, and while I was bigger then, I still didn't like the fit and so I re-purposed it for gym wear by cutting the sleeves.

blackflag

10388009_324173547736841_756004808_n.jpg

It really was, I like this guys style. I have a friend that's training under lilliebridge, I hope his training is a lot more personal than the e-book purportedly.

Dat shoulder vascular, mine is coming in slowly.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
I guess I should post some pics too

95lbs DB fly for a solid 8 tonight with perfect form, no pressing shit, entire gym was mirin
I was alone
. Only chest exercise I can do with no delt pain so fuck it I'll stick with it. I did rear delt cable extensions in-between sets, felt like it made my flys stronger.

Progress

Barzul

JkWzCVj.jpg

Some of you guys are huge. I think I'll join in with the selfies. Some background, I started this year at 215 pounds, did some Beachbody workouts and got down to 190 and then I started hitting the gym. I think I'm at my ideal weight (maybe want to add 10 more pounds), just striving to get more ripped. Getting a six pack is a lot harder than I anticipated.

Cooter

JkWzCVj.jpg

Some of you guys are huge. I think I'll join in with the selfies. Some background, I started this year at 215 pounds, did some Beachbody workouts and got down to 190 and then I started hitting the gym. I think I'm at my ideal weight (maybe want to add 10 more pounds), just striving to get more ripped. Getting a six pack is a lot harder than I anticipated.

Welcome! Ten pounds of pure muscle is going to take some time my man. If you're serious about it though you've come to the right place. You look great right now. Where you go from here is just icing on the cake.

I'm with you Brolic, loving all the new faces!

Classic MTP with the crooked ass pic. Don't ever change brotha. Ha

Blackflag looking like a god damned house.

Szu appears to be challenging his bicep to a fight!

Imm0rt4l nailing the NFL strong safety look.

Good shit fellas!

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
No, you'd be restricted to half the range of motion.

It's actually very effective depending on goals and programming. It's called a floor press and many lifters use it as a max effort movement to build bench press.

That said, for the normal gym goer, it's not what you wanna do, but it's better than nothing.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
It's actually very effective depending on goals and programming. It's called a floor press and many lifters use it as a max effort movement to build bench press.

That said, for the normal gym goer, it's not what you wanna do, but it's better than nothing.
It is better than nothing, but in terms of a bench substitute push-ups (weighted or otherwise) are also strongly worth considering.

Sadetar

Another beautiful day. I am thinking will I end up posting those "lets die out boredom at work on Sunday selfies" like I mentioned. Those are nothing compared to your work out photos though.

Edit: The work photo. I am oh so very busy today...
kuva.jpg

Oh yes and no filters and whatnot. I am not that pro.

haha to my credit, I was significantly heavier when I got the tee. I ordered it online, and while I was bigger then, I still didn't like the fit and so I re-purposed it for gym wear by cutting the sleeves.
Ok, excuse accepted. :p

Oh geez I'm blushing now. Thank you I'm flattered.
Awwwwww.

Not going to lie, I am quite much enjoying your photos. ;)

Barzul

Welcome! Ten pounds of pure muscle is going to take some time my man. If you're serious about it though you've come to the right place. You look great right now. Where you go from here is just icing on the cake.

I'm with you Brolic, loving all the new faces!

Thanks man.

Sadetar

Don't worry, official representative of #teamgirlarms checking in.

No worries about Cooper/Cooter confusion there! Also, everyone here really does look great.
Holy hell you look hot. :p

Hahah, I wish I could be posting photos like that after around five to ten years...

Cooper

Holy hell you look hot. :p

Hahah, I wish I could be posting photos like that after around five to ten years...

aww, thanks. From what I can see in your pictures, you're starting from a great place. Keep a consistent routine, and I'm sure your results even in 3-ish months will be impressive.

SeanR1221

JkWzCVj.jpg

Welcome brother. Looks like we have another member to add to dat delt crew

Sadetar

No flexing but a pic of me with King of Strong Style Shinsuke Nakamura.

<3 Swagsuke
Too cute! <3

aww, thanks. From what I can see in your pictures, you're starting from a great place. Keep a consistent routine, and I'm sure your results even in 3-ish months will be impressive.
Honestly, if I have the guts to post some starting photos you would be taking your words back. It was and still is quite bad. I am quite hopeful that with time and like you said routine I will start to see some results. Main goal would be getting the back into better condition and also lose some fat. After that I can concentrade more on building more muscles to the right places. At the moment I am going to gym twice a week, pilates once a week and walking/jogging once or twice a week. I better stick with that. :p

Oh and Barzul, how did I manage to miss you? Splendid my dear, absolutely splendid!

P44

So I've been doing GSLP for about 6 weeks and at the moment I'm not only glad i stuck with lifting but that I even gave it a go; I love it and look forward to it. Thing is I'm starting from a higher bf than I should be at and I want to slow bulk for a few months before cutting just to get a strength base before I even try cutting. So my aims sort of changed from a balance of aesthetic/strength to strength.

For that reason I want to switch from GSLP to SL, the main difference for me being that GSLP has squats 2 times a week 3x5 and SL has them at the beginning 3 times a week 5x5. However I don't want to start at the bar again on my lifts, could I just take my 5RM from where I am on the 3x5 to the 5x5 and continue as I was?

I realise this looks like jumping around on programs but in this case what I wanted changed in comparison to what I wanted before I started lifting hah.

Also, I am having serious bother increasing my overhead press, does anybody have tips? I watched rippetoe's press 2.0 video and honestly the hip draaaaaahve he uses, I've never seen - it looks helpful, but, I dunno is it proper form?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMAiNQJ6FPc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom