• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Off to get some Raising Cain's for MIA/INDY! Love me some fried chicken. It feels like a cheat but it's not.

grumble

So I've been doing GSLP for about 6 weeks and at the moment I'm not only glad i stuck with lifting but that I even gave it a go; I love it and look forward to it. Thing is I'm starting from a higher bf than I should be at and I want to slow bulk for a few months before cutting just to get a strength base before I even try cutting. So my aims sort of changed from a balance of aesthetic/strength to strength.

For that reason I want to switch from GSLP to SL, the main difference for me being that GSLP has squats 2 times a week 3x5 and SL has them at the beginning 3 times a week 5x5. However I don't want to start at the bar again on my lifts, could I just take my 5RM from where I am on the 3x5 to the 5x5 and continue as I was?

I realise this looks like jumping around on programs but in this case what I wanted changed in comparison to what I wanted before I started lifting hah.

Also, I am having serious bother increasing my overhead press, does anybody have tips? I watched rippetoe's press 2.0 video and honestly the hip draaaaaahve he uses, I've never seen - it looks helpful, but, I dunno is it proper form?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMAiNQJ6FPc

If I were you I'd avoid strong lifts. It is an inferior program to starting strength, which you probably should consider.

As a novice regardless of your eventual goals getting stronger should almost always be priority number one. First off, more strength means you have more muscle mass, and more strength means that you have that base to leverage when trying to tweak your goals at an intermediate level.

I wouldn't worry too much about the body fat though. It comes off as you continue your strength progression. You might need to think about it to get under 15%, but I wouldn't sweat it now.

P44

If I were you I'd avoid strong lifts. It is an inferior program to starting strength, which you probably should consider.

As a novice regardless of your eventual goals getting stronger should almost always be priority number one. First off, more strength means you have more muscle mass, and more strength means that you have that base to leverage when trying to tweak your goals at an intermediate level.

I wouldn't worry too much about the body fat though. It comes off as you continue your strength progression. You might need to think about it to get under 15%, but I wouldn't sweat it now.

That's interesting, how is it inferior? They both look pretty similar on the face of it, barring volume.

sphinx

the piano man
What is this Selfie Saturday you speak of?

788248c5-9f54-4557-afe2-15255579b25d.jpg

I was away all weekend and late to the last two pages...

damn Cooter, just saw the pick and seriously laughed, you just casually flex and show everybody what an arm should look like. loved it.

EDIT: and everyone!! woah, I just quoted and didn't see all the posts after cooter's. very nice people, great job and a wonderful community this is.

Ughhh wedding and baptism back to back...so it's 2 cheat days in a row...

Fuck i know it's a marathon and not a sprint but i really want to fast forward to the future when i look like a rugby player

Fuck. Just had a horrible run, had next to no mental willpower to really even go out and try...just one of those days :/.

On the bright side, I now know that my bad running days are the same pace as my good days from a few a year ago haha....

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Well wanted to do legs so I did some snatch grip DLs got 475 and 405/425/455 for a few singles each. Wanted 500 but I did back yesterday so maybe next week.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Almost completely settled in my new stately home. Hit the grocer's for my diet needs as we're kicking this shit off tomorrow!

$200 later
jqDS2b8Gcb4bf_e.jpg

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Almost completely settled in my new stately home. Hit the grocer's for my diet needs as we're kicking this shit off tomorrow!

$200 later
jqDS2b8Gcb4bf_e.jpg
Family of 5 here. I hear ya. That's like a week and a half for me! Not complaining though. I chose this path and wouldn't trade it for anything.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Family of 5 here. I hear ya. That's like a week and a half for me! Not complaining though. I chose this path and wouldn't trade it for anything.

I'm a family of one :(

and this should get me through the week, hopefully 2. Hopefully.

Dem meatz ain't cheapz.

Where's the CooterGrillArmRating.jpg? FE where are you

Yeah it sucks. I wish I had some magical ability to convert carbs into protein. Meat is just a pain in the rear to keep a lot around. I also don't have access to a Costco, and even if I did... I'm over chicken. I've made it a gazillion different ways and I just can't eat it anymore. I'm on a beef kick now, but it's killing my wallet.

I however have pounds of carb sources. I buy oatmeal, popcorn, and rice in bulk off Amazon.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Ridiculous, Woofs. Just fucking ridiculous.

I'm feeling done with chicken but I gotta go back. I have to go back.
LUIsGXH.jpg

Thanks FE for the arms

rokkerkory

back from Asia guys! It's time to get back into swing of things... but t3h jet laggz!

I think I lost a few lbs of muscle mass at least and prob jumped up 2% BF. Sighs.

ILoveBish

i turn 36 in a little while. Tonight at the gym was a real struggle, my wrists were going nuts on squats, i just couldnt get grip placement right at all today and it really screwed me up. Im going to be working on that next week to get that down and never deal with that type of situation again.

I did get all my reps in the end, and thats the end of 5s week for the 8th session of 5/3/1. Going to take at least 2-3 days off from the gym to rest up and come back strong for 3s week.

And of course, fitgaf looking stronk like usual. I also take selfies then hide them in a selfies folder for progress pics later on, no way im posting anymore till i can hang with the big boys. Getting there tho.

There is no reason a single person in this thread should feel nervous, scared, embarrassed, ashamed, or intimidated over post a progress photo. Everyone in this thread started somewhere and had those same feelings.

No one here is better than anyone else. We are just all on different spots on the wonderful fitness map.

Personally I do it because it motivates me and I assume it motivates others. Seeing the progress of others motivates me as well.

velociraptor

There is no reason a single person in this thread should feel nervous, scared, embarrassed, ashamed, or intimidated over post a progress photo. Everyone in this thread started somewhere and had those same feelings.

No one here is better than anyone else. We are just all on different spots on the wonderful fitness map.

Personally I do it because it motivates me and I assume it motivates others. Seeing the progress of others motivates me as well.
Yep I agree. Mind you, all these photos inspire me and motivate me to push myself harder in the gym. I've also learned there is no point comparing yourself to others but it's simply you vs yourself.

171 this morning.

158-171 in three months exactly. Probably not quite as much muscle as I wanted due to maybe 2 weeks total off due to minor injuries but that's life. If nothing else it was fun eating all that popcorn.

Bulk's done!

Come Thursday morning it will be time to get shredded. I'm going to Otakon on August 8-10 and god fucking damnit, I am crossing "unironic non-fat guy shirtless cosplay" off my bucket list. This is HAPPENING.

Yeah but unless you go full FE no one wants to put up pictures of their bulk at the apex, hehe

Matugi

Rocking the tank this morning in the gym. Going full douche mode for summer.

Down to 164 this morning around 5 weeks into my cut. Started at 172. Abs poking in, veins popping on my delts. Summer's here boys

grumble

That's interesting, how is it inferior? They both look pretty similar on the face of it, barring volume.

The issue has to do with managing recovery. You don't need a 5x5 stimulus on most of these movements to promote muscle growth as a novice, and it will make it difficult to recover from the workouts. It will also make it more challenging to increase the weight, as five sets at a higher weight is a bigger jump than three sets. The number of ancillary exercises also looks like they are more about fancying things up than actually adding value, and again it impacts recovery. Inverted rows for example.

So expect more stalls, earlier stalls and more time in the gym without getting better results.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Think I'm gonna go for a slightly later gym session tonight, usually get in for midday but I'm feeling so drained from the weekend..

any of you guys like your pre-workout supplements? I'm eyeing up C4s creatine tabs ..

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Alright, back with another question.

If I plan to run M, W, F, and want to do some weights on Tues and Thurs what would a good routine be? I don't have much to work with in our apartment complex gym (bench/free weights, some dumbbells, curl bar, machine with lats, rows, etc. and a medicine ball).

Can I do something like arms/back on Tues and chest/legs on Thurs? Any suggestions on the actual lifts to do? I haven't done much weight training in a while but I know what I'm doing mostly.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving

If I plan to run M, W, F, and want to do some weights on Tues and Thurs what would a good routine be? I don't have much to work with in our apartment complex gym (bench/free weights, some dumbbells, curl bar, machine with lats, rows, etc. and a medicine ball).

Can I do something like arms/back on Tues and chest/legs on Thurs? Any suggestions on the actual lifts to do? I haven't done much weight training in a while but I know what I'm doing mostly.

Ideally if you are getting into the weight training you should let your body rest like the OP says as dats da best fur effishent gainz

EDIT: Doth your gym hath a squat cagey rack?

SeanR1221

Go back I wrote out a quick program for you when you asked before :)

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Well you're pretty limited so here's the best I could come up with.

Bench 3x5 (increase weight every week)
Close grip bench 3x8
Dumbbell shoulder press 3x8-10
Zottman curls 4x10

Deadlift 1x5 (increase weight every week)
Dumbbell row 3x8-10
Lat pull down 3x8-10
Leg press 3x8-10

Move all the 8-10 stuff up after it feels too easy and you can get 10-12 reps.

This Sean?

If I do 2 days a week would you change it at all? Or is this geared to 2 days a week?

Ideally if you are getting into the weight training you should let your body rest like the OP says as dats da best fur effishent gainz

EDIT: Doth your gym hath a squat cagey rack?

No rack, unfortunately. I could do dumbbell squats or something.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Great. Started my cut...again...now that my move is done and now I see taco bell has a new product.

This fucking life I lead, goddamn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom