• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Not oldest, but I'm 33.

I never knew how crazy Alex kang's lift until I saw brolic's.

247.5 kg Deadlift at 66kg bodyweight(4/6/2013):

Not taking anything away from the dude, it's a good lift, however, he's also wearing a deadlift suit. I'd be curious what his raw deadlift is. I also wonder what my DL would be wearing that shit. But I doubt I'll ever lift equipped.

Damn, beastly

Thanks bud!

Hey hey now. There are videos and gifs of me out there, but I don't think they are quite GAF appropriate. :p

Great work as always big guy. Every video is impressive.

Lol, fighting the urge to google search. Thanks bud.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
find a better gym

man

I know, I know. But that would require me going and paying for one, and driving over there every few days to work out. All summer I like to be outside so I do a lot of running, I just wanted a 2 day/week workout routine using what I have so I could get a bit of lifting in.

ILoveBish

Are shoulder dislocation exercises safe or even necessary?

I do them for a warm up. I use the light bar that the cardio room has, start from the outer end and work my way in as much as I can doing sets of 5. Gets the blood going to a lot of the upper body.

Just don't push yourself too hard on them, easy to hurt yourself.

JCX

What's the consensus on weightlifting while trying to lose weight? I'm pretty overweight and have been lifting for about 8 months now, but my weightloss has hit a wall. Is it recommended just to do cardio until at a good weight, then focusing on building muscle?

I know, I know. But that would require me going and paying for one, and driving over there every few days to work out. All summer I like to be outside so I do a lot of running, I just wanted a 2 day/week workout routine using what I have so I could get a bit of lifting in.

Run to the gym!

Seriously, you need 3 days to do the routine in the OP, is one more day too much to ask?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
What's the consensus on weightlifting while trying to lose weight? I'm pretty overweight and have been lifting for about 8 months now, but my weightloss has hit a wall. Is it recommended just to do cardio until at a good weight, then focusing on building muscle?

Get your diet right. Is your diet right?

Pete Rock

Here is a test run in my 2 Eros. Got 3 weeks left till Vegas to shred. The lighting in my apartment is horrible

Ohhh yeah well on your way, excited to see the full pics with the sun at the just the right angle!

Are those official? I've been thinking about picking some up, but they seem prohibitively expensive and the knockoffs on e-bay are lookin' pretty appealing as an alternative...

That's one way to do it. I bottomed out at 168 lbs through cycling 30 miles twice a week and then picked up SS and transitioned away from cycling when my legs were too burned out to even consider it on rest days. I feel there is too much emphasis put on this method when you can easily modify your caloric deficit or surplus to reach these goals while lifting. You need to maintain dietary discipline when going off cardio anyways, so it's best to just get used to that early on.

Soylent 1.0 has arrived and although it is backordered out a few weeks I am still very interested in seeing it be a success. *Macro split is 50/30/20 carbs/fat/protein so it wouldn't be ideal for a lot of us, but it would be trivial to modify the macros in a DIY sense. I am very much considering comparing the numbers with my current "bachelor chow" to see if I could potentially save a little money, but even more time, by switching over for the bulk of my nutritional needs.

Ohhh yeah well on your way, excited to see the full pics with the sun at the just the right angle!

Are those official? I've been thinking about picking some up, but they seem prohibitively expensive and the knockoffs on e-bay are lookin' pretty appealing as an alternative...

Thanks. Yeah all official. Got about 3 pairs. I get them for $32 so might just get the entire collection

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Damn stretching my pec minor has been a game changer for my shoulder. Lots of us here got here through gaming, and a ton of us have lousy posture, so look into if you have this issue, it has made my shoulder 1000% better.

Matugi

I was browsing through some old photos today and man, what a difference a year (top) and 9 months (bottom) makes

CameraZOOM-20130613102806178_zpsdcae5cb5.jpg

CameraZOOM-20130708220106776_zps0e34238d.jpg

Compared to this which I posted the other day

In the first picture and the current picture, I'm about the same weight (165ish). In the 9 month picture I'm 148.

sphinx

the piano man

the best thing I could have done in regards to fitness was to concentrate on getting on the right weight before getting involved with the intricacies of strength and weight training.

It felt like I started the fitness chapter of my life on a "blank" page. people with substantial overweight have to struggle with lack of stamina, endurance, bad heart rate and bad joints/bones due to the extra weight so I'd really get diet and cardio on check, make a priority out of that and go from there slowly gravitating towards more serious strength training. you can always start with the easier body weight movements like push-ups and air squats to work on flexibility. Then, when you have gotten some condition, do a reputable barbell program like SS and take it seriously and go from there.

I am being blunt:here and I don't know if this is your case, but in my very own personal opinion, anyone who is a fat guy who can't breathe and would collapse after running for 1 minute has nothing to do with any strength program, at all. I know there are other opinions that will go directly against mine (do strength training to lose weight, try both at once, strength training is the solution to all physical problems, cardio sucks no matter what, forever bulk, etc.) and that's o.k, there are many options,

Getting ready for my second cardio sesh on my lunch break. Makes having the Equinox all access pass worth it in NYC. 25 mins of boring/relaxing steady state. LOL at the thought of me doing another HIIT sesh. Today was brutal after my chest/bi day.

blackflag

There is no reason a single person in this thread should feel nervous, scared, embarrassed, ashamed, or intimidated over post a progress photo. Everyone in this thread started somewhere and had those same feelings.

No one here is better than anyone else. We are just all on different spots on the wonderful fitness map.

Personally I do it because it motivates me and I assume it motivates others. Seeing the progress of others motivates me as well.

Well fuckin said mate!

Pete Rock

Anybody ever use one of these lap counters?

I would rather have a watch, but they're really overkill for the tiny pool at my gym.
For half again as much you can get a really nice waterproof Timex that has a 100 lap counter function on top of everything else.

I went through a cheap wal-mart stop watch, a "waterproof" stop watch and each of them died from being exposed to a sauna environment.

I was going to say fuck it to the whole endeavor and then I noticed an older gentleman who was leading diving exercises in the deep end of the pool. Full on oxygen tanks and scuba equipment and wet suits and all sorts of expensive looking gizmos. So one day I was cooling off from doing laps and he was standing around so I asked him what kind of waterproof watch he would recommend. He pointed at that model on his wrist and said he had one for over a decade and only bought a new one because the band finally broke.

I've been using it for a year straight and although I only swam laps and used the lap counter functionality one time, I use it every day I'm in the gym and in the mornings when I do yoga. I set a countdown timer for each session, that way when I glance at the watch it is constantly ticking "down" and I can more easily discern the seconds ticking by than if I was looking at the watch timer face. It also helps track where I'm at ie it normally takes 20 minutes for my first compound lifts to be complete, then I write down that number and know to not let more than 4 minutes elapse before engaging in another activity and I can keep all this together without feeling rushed or confused. Helps with consistency.

Highly recommend it as an alternative if you're considering spending $30 for just a single function device.

Sadetar

Seriously, seeing friends that I haven't seen in ages is dangerous... I should have packed something proper to eat, but I didn't and I ended up eating tons of absolutely delicious cheat food. I feel swollen. Hopefully it will go away soon.

Also how long people think that the upcoming cutting thread will be active? I would love to share something on it, but that would mean I would need to actually have some visible changes and not just only feel them...

There is no reason a single person in this thread should feel nervous, scared, embarrassed, ashamed, or intimidated over post a progress photo. Everyone in this thread started somewhere and had those same feelings.

No one here is better than anyone else. We are just all on different spots on the wonderful fitness map.

Personally I do it because it motivates me and I assume it motivates others. Seeing the progress of others motivates me as well.
You are always so adorable and couraging. <3

Hey hey now. There are videos and gifs of me out there, but I don't think they are quite GAF appropriate. :p
Hahahah, you so need to link them to me. If not in here, then as a private message.

Be a good boy.

(And yes, I tried to search for them but didn't find anything.)

Fuck. Just had a horrible run, had next to no mental willpower to really even go out and try...just one of those days :/.

On the bright side, I now know that my bad running days are the same pace as my good days from a few a year ago haha....
*pat pat* We all have those days. Awesome that you managed to dig up something positive about it though. I try to keep that in mind when I have those days. :p

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
This Whoopie thread in OT is ridiculous. I'm blown away by the number of people who are OK with hitting a woman if she hits you first. Some are painting me as sexist because I would not retaliate against a woman with force but I would do so against a man. Steer clear!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Seriously, seeing friends that I haven't seen in ages is dangerous... I should have packed something proper to eat, but I didn't and I ended up eating tons of absolutely delicious cheat food. I feel swollen. Hopefully it will go away soon.

Also how long people think that the upcoming cutting thread will be active? I would love to share something on it, but that would mean I would need to actually have some visible changes and not just only feel them...

Feeling is the only thing that goddamn matters. Fuck scales and water weight. Shit's not to be trusted.

Expectations are important to keep in check as well. Don't make unrealistic goals. Educate, cut weight, and watch it go.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
This Whoopie thread in OT is ridiculous. I'm blown away by the number of people who are OK with hitting a woman if she hits you first. Some are painting me as sexist because I would not retaliate against a woman with force but I would do so against a man. Steer clear!
Problem is it all depends on context. If a woman is coming at you like a man she should be dealt with like a man. That doesn't mean use disproportional force though. I've seen and work around women that could beat the shit out of men. It all depends on context.

On topic. One of these days I'll record myself doing farmer walks. Might be interesting.

Cooter

Problem is it all depends on context. If a woman is coming at you like a man she should be dealt with like a man. That doesn't mean use disproportional force though. I've seen and work around women that could beat the shit out of men. It all depends on context.

On topic. One of these days I'll record myself doing farmer walks. Might be interesting.
Exactly. I even stated if I felt my life may be in danger then it would be warranted. That is one hell of a unique circumstance however.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
My forearms are fried for other reasons. ; )

Seriously though, I've never had sore forearms or a weak grip been working in construction and steel for over a decade.

Yeah, I can only imagine. Luckily I just sit on my ass and watch inmates most of the time, unless there's a scrap or other incident to respond to.

Exactly. I even stated if I felt my life may be in danger then it would be warranted. That is one hell of a unique circumstance however.

For reference, there are female inmates at my prison bigger than me. Height and weight wise. I'd have zero qualms dealing with them like men.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
By the way, I'm sure all of you know this but

MOVING SUCKS.

It felt so good to be back in the gym and hurt in the right spots instead of some odd ones due to moving shit. Fuck living 3 stories up. My first visit back to the gym was wonderful. All the movements were natural and right - it fit like a glove.

NEVER MOVING AGAIN.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Yeah, I can only imagine. Luckily I just sit on my ass and watch inmates most of the time, unless there's a scrap or other incident to respond to.

For reference, there are female inmates at my prison bigger than me. Height and weight wise. I'd have zero qualms dealing with them like men.

I can't imagine doing that job, seems stressful as fuck.

I don't think I'd ever hit a woman, probably just put her on the ground until she gave up.

By the way, I'm sure all of you know this but

MOVING SUCKS.

It felt so good to be back in the gym and hurt in the right spots instead of some odd ones due to moving shit. Fuck living 3 stories up. My first visit back to the gym was wonderful. All the movements were natural and right - it fit like a glove.

NEVER MOVING AGAIN.

It's funny how things work.

I've hurt myself once lifting weights in 15 years and it wasn't anything major. But doing every day things like shoveling snow during a snow storm, moving or yard work and I fucked up my back and SI joint.

Cooter

Are there both men and women where you work? Interesting. I agree with you BTW. A 260lb woman who is 6'2 would be one of those unique situations where I would respond in self defense.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I can't imagine doing that job, seems stressful as fuck.

I don't think I'd ever hit a woman, probably just put her on the ground until she gave up.

Definitely can be, especially for the other staff who don't keep themselves in shape I'm sure. I regularly talk to inmates about lifting and don't go out of my way to fuck with them, so they more or less show me respect. More so than a lot of other staff get. Most days are pretty chill though. I'm working in the special housing unit now though, which is where the bad inmates go. Basically prison inside prison.

Also, I think you may change your tune if you had a 6+ foot 300lb woman throwing punches at you, lol. We have a few of those.

Are there both men and women where you work? Interesting. I agree with you BTW. A 260lb woman who is 6'2 would be one of those unique situations where I would respond in self defense.

Yeah we have a medium security male prison with a satellite female camp.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Definitely can be, especially for the other staff who don't keep themselves in shape I'm sure. I regularly talk to inmates about lifting and don't go out of my way to fuck with them, so they more or less show me respect. More so than a lot of other staff get. Most days are pretty chill though. I'm working in the special housing unit now though, which is where the bad inmates go. Basically prison inside prison.

Also, I think you may change your tune if you had a 6+ foot 300lb woman throwing punches at you, lol. We have a few of those.

That's pretty cool, the last sentence not so much lol.

But, are they hot, a pretty face can change the situation.

I've gotten by with my good looks forever and I'm positive they will save me if such a situation arose. I'll bat my long eye lashes and they will cream.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Lol, wow.

Back on topic, biceps are enflamed. Probably from the 405 bench a month ago. Push movements are on hold/maintain for the moment. But at least lower body/back can still progress.

Glad i have access to the elitefts q/a. Had no idea what might be causing the biceps issue until they told me.

Chocobro

Damn stretching my pec minor has been a game changer for my shoulder. Lots of us here got here through gaming, and a ton of us have lousy posture, so look into if you have this issue, it has made my shoulder 1000% better.

That's great to hear. I started stretching my pec minor using a lacrosse ball today even though I have zero shoulder issues; just decided to try it after watching the video I will mention below. I would also highly recommend stretching the medial delt area to allow for better external rotation.

Brandon Campbell (with the help of Ryan Saplan) uploaded a video "Fixing Shoulder Issues" yesterday and I feel it would be helpful for those with shoulder issues and are looking to fix and improve it.

Are shoulder dislocation exercises safe or even necessary?
It's my go-to shoulder mobility stretch. I do them with a resistance band during my warm-up. It's safe if you work within the limits present, you don't want to do them with a close grip if you can't handle a wide grip. Probably necessary if you want to work and improve on your shoulder mobility.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Had the sweetest session, I know a few people in here aren't fans of the 5x5 strength program by that french dude but I'm loving it so far, deffo prefer it to SS, my ankle is almost totally fine now, the deadlifts are a bit of a struggle so I've knocked it down a few pegs.

Anyone got any bicep workouts on the side they can share with me?
I just end up doing some curls when I'm waiting for the squat rack or bench to become free

Sadetar

That's pretty cool, the last sentence not so much lol.

But, are they hot, a pretty face can change the situation.

I've gotten by with my good looks forever and I'm positive they will save me if such a situation arose. I'll bat my long eye lashes and they will cream.
Hahahah. I am literlly rolling over floor laughing at the moment (quite easy to do since I generally use laptop while laying on the floor). This discussion has been priceless. <3

I think I would try to start a fight with you just... you know... for the fun of it. ;)

That moment when you almost drop your coffee in your lap because your forearms are fried from farmer walks.
I have honestly needed to search what the hell farmer walks actually are. My mental image was very faulty.

Feeling is the only thing that goddamn matters. Fuck scales and water weight. Shit's not to be trusted.

Expectations are important to keep in check as well. Don't make unrealistic goals. Educate, cut weight, and watch it go.
Thank you!

I so needed that.

Even if scale and mirror don't really yet agree with me, I feel more fit and toned compared to the situation two months back when I started to hit the gym. I am sure they will follow with time.

Zoe

For half again as much you can get a really nice waterproof Timex that has a 100 lap counter function on top of everything else.

I went through a cheap wal-mart stop watch, a "waterproof" stop watch and each of them died from being exposed to a sauna environment.

I was going to say fuck it to the whole endeavor and then I noticed an older gentleman who was leading diving exercises in the deep end of the pool. Full on oxygen tanks and scuba equipment and wet suits and all sorts of expensive looking gizmos. So one day I was cooling off from doing laps and he was standing around so I asked him what kind of waterproof watch he would recommend. He pointed at that model on his wrist and said he had one for over a decade and only bought a new one because the band finally broke.

I've been using it for a year straight and although I only swam laps and used the lap counter functionality one time, I use it every day I'm in the gym and in the mornings when I do yoga. I set a countdown timer for each session, that way when I glance at the watch it is constantly ticking "down" and I can more easily discern the seconds ticking by than if I was looking at the watch timer face. It also helps track where I'm at ie it normally takes 20 minutes for my first compound lifts to be complete, then I write down that number and know to not let more than 4 minutes elapse before engaging in another activity and I can keep all this together without feeling rushed or confused. Helps with consistency.

Highly recommend it as an alternative if you're considering spending $30 for just a single function device.

I did see that one--wasn't sure if pushing the buttons in the water would make it too clumsy. Sounds like it would be a good fit.

I really just want something simple to give me some metric to track. I use a HRM for everything else, but the transmitter doesn't function in the water.

sphinx

the piano man
well summer has arrived and my gym is at full capacity, I kind of like it, everyone in a good mood and I even had the chance to use the one power rack we have, wrist didn't bother much but strength PR attempts are out of the question and I suspect it will remain like that for a while. it sucks cause I was doing well but whatever.

on another topic, I joined Darth and uploaded Michael Jackson's Xscape on my MP3 player and damn, some songs are PERFECT for working out, Slave to the rhythm is a workout song through and through, steady rhythm, not too fast not too slow, powerful voice and sound. Place with no Name and Xscape are my other 2 favorites, also perfect for lifting. I recommend those to everyone looking for new good music. Stranger in Moscow is also great for stretching

and to jump in in the saturday selfie pic train, I shamelessly took a pic while doing Dumbbell lateral Raises while doing a funny (or sad?? lol) face.

selfieatthegym_zps97605c20.jpg

by the way is my shirt considered a "tank top" of the douchey kind, I thought those were the bikini style of the Gold's Gym, that are basically an excuse of a shirt for people who want to go 'mirin at all times when mirrors are around and have their backs almost completely uncovered. Some people do look spectacular and can wear them with pride, I know I would if I had the body

Zoe

by the way is my shirt considered a "tank top" of the douchey kind, I thought those were the bikini style of the Gold's Gym, that are basically an excuse of a shirt for people who want to go 'mirin at all times when mirrors are around and have their backs almost completely uncovered. Some people do look spectacular and can wear them with pride, I know I would

I'd say tanks that show more than they cover.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
That is quite HC walking right there.

My thoughts were more or less something along these lines:
normal_IMG_0007.jpg

Lol, nope. I do mine with the legit handles you can get from elitefts and often seen in strongman. They look like torpedoes. . About 160 per hand right now. Need to get more plates. I can definitely do 200lbs per hand how many trips at that weight though would have to be determined.

Sadetar

Lol, nope. I do mine with the legit handles you can get from elitefts and often seen in strongman. They look like torpedoes. . About 160 per hand right now. Need to get more plates. I can definitely do 200lbs per hand how many trips at that weight though would have to be determined.
Hahah. Sometimes this thread makes me feel a bit challenged.

Also, do you darlings never even think about what kind of ridiculous amounts of iron you are dealing with? I am not entirely sure could I literally even move 200 lbs anywhere. (Ok, admittedly on seated leg press I can deal with around 260 pounds, but I couldn't even dream of carrying that amount around, not to mention with one hand.)

Edit: Yes, I do think about it once in a while. Gives me very interesting mental images of all the things you sweeties in here would be able to do... And yes, I am very aware that I should be in bed already and that I have somewhat dirty imagination.

how long were you training on/off before that? because that looks really good for 4/5 months of serious training.
I was going to ask the same.

velociraptor, You hopefully realize that you look really hot, crappy quality pic or not.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Hahah. Sometimes this thread makes me feel a bit challenged.

Also, do you darlings never even think about what kind of ridiculous amounts of iron you are dealing with? I am not entirely sure could I literally even move 200 lbs anywhere. (Ok, admittedly on seated leg press I can deal with around 260 pounds, but I couldn't even dream of carrying that amount around, not to mention with one hand.)

Edit: Yes, I do think about it once in a while. Gives me very interesting mental images of all the things you sweeties in here would be able to do... And yes, I am very aware that I should be in bed already and that I have somewhat dirty imagination.

I was going to ask the same.

velociraptor, You hopefully realize that you look really hot, crappy quality pic or not.

Doesn't really even occur to me because I'm constantly pushing for more. And I'm never really conscious of it until I have a setback and need to build back up to where I was.

Irobot82

Chocobro,

No video today. I was finishing digging level for my pool so that was my workout for the day..or year. I'll shoot for Wednesday.

Side note: You know that saying measure twice cut once? I leveled out a 12' circle and my back yard is a hill so...fun. My pool is only 10'. FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.

velociraptor

how long were you training on/off before that? because that looks really good for 4/5 months of serious training.
Thanks but I think the picture might be a little flattering haha. I would say at least year, although that was just me training at home with a light barbell (up to 60kg) and a small bench, and my training was very sporadic. I've done tons of pushups, dips and pullups over the years though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom