• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
He has striated glutes. It's a sign of just how shredded he is since that is like the last place you'll lose fat.
God so true. I was happy enough when I could see the striations in my quads. Felt so beastly.

Also ugh, I was looking over this program I'm on right now last night. I've been working out two days too many. Oops?

Sullen

Hey dudes, so I've been lifting for a while and all is going well. I recently started taking creatine and I've noticed some strange things going on. Since starting it three weeks ago I've noticed a 6 pound weight increase, and it keeps climbing. I suspect it is water weight and muscle mass being added, but I'm not sure. My waist size has remained the same, so I'm pretty sure it isn't fat. Anyone had any experience with something like this?

Nelo Ice

Banned
Hey dudes, so I've been lifting for a while and all is going well. I recently started taking creatine and I've noticed some strange things going on. Since starting it three weeks ago I've noticed a 6 pound weight increase, and it keeps climbing. I suspect it is water weight and muscle mass being added, but I'm not sure. My waist size has remained the same, so I'm pretty sure it isn't fat. Anyone had any experience with something like this?

It's water weight, a side effect of taking creatine.

Yep, it's just water weight.
Personally, I like it, because it's eater weight that makes me look bigger.

Today I did deadlifts and shrugs with some new equipment and learned two things.

I did deadlifts with chalk, and learned that chalk is AWESOME
Then I did shrugs with straps, and I learned that straps are AWESOME

I can finally get my traps to wear out without worrying about my grip and having to do drop sets! I mean I did the drop sets anyways but now I can actually get in a full set with the heavier DBs.

wat's a good deltoids exercise?
I'm already doing front and side raises with dumbbells

Overhead press, and band pull-aparts or face pulls.

So, speed.

I've noticed that I do pretty much everything 1-2 seconds slower than most people who seem to favour a slightly more explosive approach. I might be making it harder on myself to climb up in weight, but does it matter so long as I get proper muscle activation?

rando14

So, speed.

I've noticed that I do pretty much everything 1-2 seconds slower than most people who seem to favour a slightly more explosive approach. I might be making it harder on myself to climb up in weight, but does it matter so long as I get proper muscle activation?

depends on your goals. Power is all about speed.

hypertrophy is about time under tension

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Quads sure, but not sure if I agree on glutes. The closed hip angle in the bottom position on low-bar stretches the glutes more as well as the hamstrings, allowing them to contribute more to the movement on the way up:

high-bar-vs-low-bar-squats-back-angles.jpeg

Also, there is no slack to pick up since you can handle less weight on highs and front squats. I believe that's where the confusion comes from. Low-bar is simply the best way to train the posterior chain (glutes and hams).

Handle less weight because on a high bar squat you generally hit rock bottom, 5" for me in oly shoes, so 4" from my heels vs 16-18" on a toilet squat.There are plenty of oly lifters surpassing the most elite PLs with raw full squats, so stop with the heavy weight can't be handled.

Also that pic is terrible considering depth which is the whole point of high bar full squats and front squats...lol

Here's an ECG study that shows a 7%+ difference.

"The effect of back squat depth on the EMG activity of 4 superficial hip and thigh muscles

The purpose of this study was to measure the relative contributions of 4 hip and thigh muscles while performing squats at 3 depths. Ten experienced lifters performed randomized trials of squats at partial, parallel, and full depths, using 100-125% of body weight as resistance. Electromyographic (EMG) surface electrodes were placed on the vastus medialis (VMO), the vastus lateralis, (VL), the biceps femoris (BF), and the gluteus maximus (GM). EMG data were quantified by integration and expressed as a percentage of the total electrical activity of the 4 muscles. Analysis of variance (ANOVA) and Tukey post hoc tests indicated a significant difference (p < 0.001*, p = 0.056**) in the relative contribution of the GM during the concentric phases among the partial- (16.9%*), parallel- (28.0%**), and full-depth (35.4%*) squats. There were no significant differences between the relative contributions of the BF, the VMO, and the VL at different squatting depths during this phase. The results suggest that the GM, rather than the BF, the VMO, or the VL, becomes more active in concentric contraction as squat depth increases."

_Isaac

So I tried yoga again this week. It was much better. I didn't feel like I was dying and I didn't get my back all twisted. Also I'll soon be able to talk to an orthopedic surgeon, so we'll hopefully be able to figure out the problem with my shoulder. It's been hurting for a good seven months already. :/

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Heh, this coming the man who straps 50 lbs weights near his crotch and does muscle-ups.

Haha! No danger because the weight is far enough down. It seems unavoidable to um, cause some discomfort doing front BB shrugs. I don't know how people do them unless my arms are just the right length for such discomfort?

never did rear raises. I'll try that out.
I never do delts that much. maybe once 1 week or when i remember to do them. (but I OHP every week)

I used to do upright rows but the longer I did them the more unnecessary they seemed.

Haha! No danger because the weight is far enough down. It seems unavoidable to um, cause some discomfort doing front BB shrugs. I don't know how people do them unless my arms are just the right length for such discomfort?

I used to do upright rows but the longer I did them the more unnecessary they seemed.

we get it you have a big dick

me and szu dont know about that struggle

#teamasia

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
we get it you have a big dick

me and szu dont know about that struggle

#teamasia

Oh jeez don't bring that in here!!! I lift and get swole to make up for my swollen short comings.

Wait for BBC Fit-GAF to crush our confidence even more. :'(

Srsly though, I've had the barbell crush my nuts a few times locking out on a deadlift or rack pull it's terrible

abuC

I think I got powdered dextrose, IIRC

Sorry for the delay.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002JNM8YM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Thanks man, I'll probably order that on Monday.

My workout today was awful to be honest, I found the tension day much much harder than depletion. What normally takes about an hour and a half had me in the gym for 2 and a half hours, I was spacing out between sets and trying to find the energy to keep on.

On a positive note, I've started my carb up and if someone entered me in a food eating contest right this second I'd win with ease.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I love the concept of IIFYM. Today I gorged on two blueberry poptarts and three chicken supreme pizza slices and a breadstick from Pizza Hut, and I know that they helped me reach not only my daily caloric goals but also my macro/micro nutrients.

Yay science.

Creatine question

I know that once you get off creatine u might loose all that strength you gained while ur on it.

when I start cutting especially when I go back to IF, I would take creatine just to have that energy.
After my cut, I'll get off creatine .

Is this good?

Cudder

Creatine question

I know that once you get off creatine u might loose all that strength you gained while ur on it.

when I start cutting especially when I go back to IF, I would take creatine just to have that energy.

Is this good?

take creatine year round

Imm0rt4l

Creatine question

Is this good?

You can take creatine indefinitely. I think of creatine as giving you more muscular endurance, doesn't really do much for energy I don't think.

Handle less weight because on a high bar squat you generally hit rock bottom, 5" for me in oly shoes, so 4" from my heels vs 16-18" on a toilet squat.There are plenty of oly lifters surpassing the most elite PLs with raw full squats, so stop with the heavy weight can't be handled.

Also that pic is terrible considering depth which is the whole point of high bar full squats and front squats...lol

"The effect of back squat depth on the EMG activity of 4 superficial hip and thigh muscles

The purpose of this study was to measure the relative contributions of 4 hip and thigh muscles while performing squats at 3 depths. Ten experienced lifters performed randomized trials of squats at partial, parallel, and full depths, using 100-125% of body weight as resistance. Electromyographic (EMG) surface electrodes were placed on the vastus medialis (VMO), the vastus lateralis, (VL), the biceps femoris (BF), and the gluteus maximus (GM). EMG data were quantified by integration and expressed as a percentage of the total electrical activity of the 4 muscles. Analysis of variance (ANOVA) and Tukey post hoc tests indicated a significant difference (p < 0.001*, p = 0.056**) in the relative contribution of the GM during the concentric phases among the partial- (16.9%*), parallel- (28.0%**), and full-depth (35.4%*) squats. There were no significant differences between the relative contributions of the BF, the VMO, and the VL at different squatting depths during this phase. The results suggest that the GM, rather than the BF, the VMO, or the VL, becomes more active in concentric contraction as squat depth increases."

This. And many raw powerlifters are increasing the amount of high bar squats in their training. Eg. see Chad Wesley Smith from Juggernaut Training. He has a raw squat of 905lbs and calls oly lifters the best squatters in the world.

Holy jebus, keto is like magic! I can see my abs poking out for the first time in my life. And it's been only a week

I just don't want to be dependent on the product. also money wise

Creatine can be dirt cheap. A year supply can set you back only 70 bucks.

(I don't take creatine cuz I am cheap like that)

Imm0rt4l

Late night session. 535 lb deadlift pr get. AntonioBanderas.gif

Sudden pat on the back from a guy. "Nice pull brother, you compete? You should consider competing"

Right in the feels

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter

Sudden pat on the back from a guy. "Nice pull brother, you compete? You should consider competing"

Right in the feels

Wow, nice.

I have a bit left until I'm even close to that, but was pretty happy that I made my 3 at 160kg yesterday.

Have a 3 at 115kg for 5/3/1 squats on Monday that's scaring me a fair bit.

deadbeef

Thanks man, I'll probably order that on Monday.

My workout today was awful to be honest, I found the tension day much much harder than depletion. What normally takes about an hour and a half had me in the gym for 2 and a half hours, I was spacing out between sets and trying to find the energy to keep on.

On a positive note, I've started my carb up and if someone entered me in a food eating contest right this second I'd win with ease.

Tension workouts always sucked! The only thing that got me through it was the looming carb up. Make sure your carb up is good quality and you'll feel great by Monday

Petrie

Banned
and man, for someone how just recently finished his 2nd year of serious training, what you have achieved in terms of strength is truly impressive, I remember you shared that info in one of the last pages in OT5, I said wow. That will be hard to top.

When you're willing to follow a routine as designed and not afraid to eat-eat-eat to start, results come. While on SS I must've been eating 6000 calories a day minimum. It was awesome.

Then I see someone like Shogun who was around my level maybe a little over a year ago, and his numbers make me look like a child. Have to remember, you are only competing with yourself. Comparing is fun sometimes, but it doesn't measure anything.

You'll be the guy in here showing newbies the ropes in no time my friend!

sphinx

the piano man

hey, that's pretty cool, You were just saying how you were overthinking and having certain (mostly mental) issues with the deadlift and now you nailed it :) bravo.

Could it be that talking/writing about things makes a difference? I complained about my bench, you about your DL and we both came here days later with a success story. is that a coincidence? I suspect it isn't, can't say for sure though.

Sunflower also broke an OHP PR some days back if memory serves me well.

Good Fitgaf times all around.

Right in the feels

when I said we shouldn't put bodybuilding in the topic title because only very few Fitgaffers have bodybuilding potential, I was refering to you and Darth, period. Many guys here have inspiring physiques but I don't think anyone else here is viable for a semi-pro BB path, at least not now, maybe in some years someone else joins your group.

if you think you can tackle the hardships of the preparation for a competition, then I agree, go for it man, you've got it.

(unless the guy meant a strength competition instead of a BB competition, in which case just consider the comment a compliment, lol)

When you're willing to follow a routine as designed and not afraid to eat-eat-eat to start, results come. While on SS I must've been eating 6000 calories a day minimum. It was awesome.

Then I see someone like Shogun who was around my level maybe a little over a year ago, and his numbers make me look like a child. Have to remember, you are only competing with yourself. Comparing is fun sometimes, but it doesn't measure anything.

You'll be the guy in here showing newbies the ropes in no time my friend!

I commend you for your eating discipline. 6000 calories a day, woah, I am happy when I reach 2500, which is supposedly the right ammount for me on a bulk

let's see how things look in October 2014... I wonder what my numbers will be.

Using examples of elite strength athletes don't serve your point very well. Elite powerlifters (even raw) usually also squat more than they deadlift, while for any novice this would be the opposite.

The study compares different depths of the same type of squat (high-bar probably) but does not compare low-bar with high-bar. It basically only proves the simple point that hip extensor activity is determined by the amount of hip flexion (or hip angle) observed in the movement, since a deeper squat produces a more closed hip angle.

So sure, if you would compare an ass to grass high-bar with a just below parallel low-bar, glute activity might be comparable, since hip angle might be comparable. But I don't see how you could argue anything beyond that.

SeanR1221

So close to 199 I can taste it. This weeks weigh in put me at 200.2

Big day planned. 5s week bench (shooting for 11 cause why not) and chipotle bowl after.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom