• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanR1221

Breaking at the hips works for low-bar squats. He has a high-bar squat set-up though.

Good point. If he's shooting for high bar though, his ass is in outerspace instead of to the grass :p

So the question for Levi is, are you shooting for high or low bar squat.

Cudder

Breaking at the hips works for low-bar squats. He has a high-bar squat set-up though.

I do high bar and break at the hips. I had no idea it was suggested that you break at knees if you do high bar. To me it doesn't make sense to break at the knees in any position when doing back squats.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I do high bar and break at the hips. I had no idea it was suggested that you break at knees if you do high bar. To me it doesn't make sense to break at the knees in any position when doing back squats.

I don't do high bar, but it doesn't ever seem wise to break at the knees unless you want to keep a perfectly straight back, and front squats are the only time I think that is necessary. May be wrong, though.

Chocobro

Hmm interesting. I don't break at the hips, but I break at the hips and knees almost at the same time. I initiate the squat by allowing my knees to go forward and my hips naturally go down almost simultaneously.
EDIT: I didn't get my thoughts out properly but I didn't suggest to break at the knees either. Pretty much this.
High bar.

Not basketball shoes, weightlifting shoes, ASICS lift trainers. Didn't feel like I was low enough, I'll do another set and upload soon.

If you want to stick with high-bar, I would say you have to address your mobility first. It looks like your ankles and hips are limiting you a lot.
See if you can go lower, but I would assume your lower back will start to round if you do.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Yea, I avoided the protein shakes and cheap bulk drinks. I wanted to keep it as healthy and filling as possible. I avoided cheese and full fat greek yogurt at first because I can overeat that stuff so easily I was afraid it would ruin my diet. I didnt realize I basiclaly had to eat till I exploded on a high protein diet, lol. So far, so good. An easy trick to tell yourself to stave off cravings on cut days is to simply tell yourself you can have that tomorrow or two days from now.

Tuna + Cottage cheese + Siracha is a ridiculous tasty combo, stupid cheap and absurdly high in protein. I mean, I think that both taste like ass alone, but together I think they balance out their weaknesses. Canned Tuna is just too dry and Cottage cheese's texture is just too wet and gross. Mix them together and bam, both problems solved.

If you are trying to build muscle and lose weight you might want to consider leangains. My guess is that I am at about 20% body fat so I went with a body recomp 20+ above maintenance on MWF and 20% below on rest days. I think i'll lose weight with this because over the week I will be at a caloric deficit, but it won't be as severe as a leangains cut. Leangains cut realyl didnt appeal to me since that is -10 and -30%. That didnt sound like fun.

I have no idea if it works or not besides internet testimonials, but it sounds interesting, safe, and healthy, so I thought id give it a shot. I find the leangains method a lot more appealing than traditional bulk/cut since I can't fathom bulking or cutting for an extended period of time and I don't eat breakfast already, so stretching it to 16 hours didnt seem like that big of a deal.

I have no idea what cutting is but I'm assuming I'm doing it... I know lifting is really the essence but I just wanna burn fat for now so I'm doing cardio all 5 days for my first week and see how that goes. I'm going for a faster weight loss plan, -30/-10. Probably start lifting once I reach I reach around 180 pounds, where I was freshman year of college.

Went to a wedding tonight and went buckwild. I'm literally in a food coma. My stomach hurts lol. Haven't eaten this much Indian food in like 6 months.

Those food comas make me feel human. Been doing the wrong diet with not enough carbs/proteins and fats. When I finally ate normally, dear god did I feel awesome. Now I know better and I have to stuff my face with the right stuff for gains.

Well, if you mean losing weight, then...

Diet>>>>>Lifting>>>Cardio

Don't do situps. They fuck up your back. Do planks or something similar instead.

Ehhhh, I hate lifting... Can I lift after I lose some weight?

Piecake

I have no idea what cutting is but I'm assuming I'm doing it... I know lifting is really the essence but I just wanna burn fat for now so I'm doing cardio all 5 days for my first week and see how that goes. I'm going for a faster weight loss plan, -30/-10. Probably start lifting once I reach I reach around 180 pounds, where I was freshman year of college.

Those food comas make me feel human. Been doing the wrong diet with not enough carbs/proteins and fats. When I finally ate normally, dear god did I feel awesome. Now I know better and I have to stuff my face with the right stuff for gains.

Ehhhh, I hate lifting... Can I lift after I lose some weight?

Oh, I thought you were lifting. Then nevermind, since leangains is a lifting diet. And of course, Lifting weights helps, but losing weight is like 80% diet.

Cudder

Lower Squats

Ass to grass...: http://youtu.be/92gM5vb4j60

I do squat to stands every day to open my hips. Should I deload and start over with the bar?

See this is why I recommended throwing your hips back. The bar is nowhere near over your foot. Your whole posture/stance is thrown off as soon as you start moving down. And your back is rounding even more in this video than it was in the other one. And even though it's cut off, I just know your knees are going past your toes.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Oh, I thought you were lifting. Then nevermind, since leangains is a lifting diet. And of course, Lifting weights helps, but losing weight is like 80% diet.

Excellent! I will start lifting once I can actually fit into my jeans again... I'm not really fat but the belly ain't helping anyone, especially me.

Levi

Banned
See this is why I recommended throwing your hips back. The bar is nowhere near over your foot. Your whole posture/stance is thrown off as soon as you start moving down. And your back is rounding even more in this video than it was in the other one.

Yeah I can see what I'm doing wrong but I'm not sure how to fix. How do I throw my hips back? As I'm lowering? Any good videos I could watch that focuses on that facet of the squat?

Piecake

Yeah I can see what I'm doing wrong but I'm not sure how to fix. How do I throw my hips back? As I'm lowering? Any good videos I could watch that focuses on that facet of the squat?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMFHgVN_pcg

I dont know if this is perfect since I am just starting. Honestly, this talk about throwing hips back made me wonder if I was doing it so I looked up some videos, but he definitely throws his hips back, so something like this?

I definitely keep my feet wider than this dude though. I don't think I could balance correctly with my feet that straight.

SeanR1221

Try to shove your chest up to and keep a right core. You're probably too loose and that's why you're rounding.

Man, we need Noema back!!! He was great at explaining this stuff

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Lower Squats

Ass to grass...: http://youtu.be/92gM5vb4j60

I do squat to stands every day to open my hips. Should I deload and start over with the bar?

I see your heels coming off the ground at 00:22 in this video. That's bad, especially since you're already using weight lifting shoes which should be helping you in that regard.

I think you should try to work on ankle mobility until you can squat ass to grass without having your heels come up. I'd recommend doing this barefoot without the bar until you are flexible enough.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Damn.... man I can't even...

I can't even...

Front squats are intimidating to me, so to see 355 front squat is... Mind blowing.

I always check your links and I don't know how you do the things you are doing. Insane. :D Awesome work like always!

Thanks guys and gal. Really hoping those transfer over to back squat and deadlift well.

What a rude fucking cunt, absolutely hate people like this.

Slow pullups, watch your form. If you can, add weight.

I still can't figure out how to place my hands with a front squat, i can't bend that far or something. As soon as i place them i get cramps and my hands start hurting.

Sometimes these bother my wrists, but I just push through it anyway. I'd really try to do them like I do instead of the cross arm technique if you can. I've heard/read that the cross arm technique actually limits how much upper back involvement there is if you do it that way. I can tell you right now after doing this yesterday my upper back, glutes, quads, hams, and abs are sore as hell and I didn't even do much volume.

Levi

Banned
Thanks for all the tips. I knew my form was shot today but I didn't realize how bad. Definitely going to deload, watch some videos, work on my flexibility.

spuckthew

Guys...

I'm a very slim fella, but I've got a bit of a gut (lower belly fat I guess). Like when my stomach is completely empty, it isn't flat. When I've had a big meal, I bulge out a bit. Thing is, this gut is basically unnoticeable as I've somehow conditioned myself to suck it in constantly, and it actually feels unnatural to me to just let my belly 'hang'. I can even go topless and no-one would ever notice I've got a gut, but I do.

Now that I've painted the picture, I've decided enough is enough and I want to legitimately have a flat stomach. I don't want to bulk up and have huge amounts of muscle; I just want to be slim everywhere and not have to hide my physical flaws. People say diet is a significant part of those weight-loss goals, but just how much would diet alone reduce my gut? Would I need to cut constantly to notice anything or is the stubborn belly fat just too much for a mere calorie deficit to work?

I've always eaten what I want, so I guess I can be pretty thankful that I only weigh like 122-125lbs at 23 years old (am 5'7"), but in the last month or so I've tried to be more vigilant (probably not enough) and have taken up running 3-4 miles 3-5 times per week. Are weights really the holy grail after diet...even if my aim isn't to get super muscular and lean?

I feel a bit of a freak case because of what I said in the opening paragraph, but it's all true. I just want some honest advice and would be very grateful of any. Unfortunately I still live at home, so if I need to tell my mum that I'm serious about this and that she should start using certain ingredients/removing others and generally cook healthier, I will.

Guys...

I'm a very slim fella, but I've got a bit of a gut (lower belly fat I guess). Like when my stomach is completely empty, it isn't flat. When I've had a big meal, I bulge out a bit. Thing is, this gut is basically unnoticeable as I've somehow conditioned myself to suck it in constantly, and it actually feels unnatural to me to just let my belly 'hang'. I can even go topless and no-one would ever notice I've got a gut, but I do.

Now that I've painted the picture, I've decided enough is enough and I want to legitimately have a flat stomach. I don't want to bulk up and have huge amounts of muscle; I just want to be slim everywhere and not have to hide my physical flaws. People say diet is a significant part of those weight-loss goals, but just how much would diet alone reduce my gut? Would I need to cut constantly to notice anything or is the stubborn belly fat just too much for a mere calorie deficit to work?

I've always eaten what I want, so I guess I can be pretty thankful that I only weigh like 122-125lbs at 23 years old (am 5'7"), but in the last month or so I've tried to be more vigilant (probably not enough) and have taken up running 3-4 miles 3-5 times per week. Are weights really the holy grail after diet...even if my aim isn't to get super muscular and lean?

I feel a bit of a freak case because of what I said in the opening paragraph, but it's all true. I just want some honest advice and would be very grateful of any. Unfortunately I still live at home, so if I need to tell my mum that I'm serious about this and that she should start using certain ingredients/removing others and generally cook healthier, I will.

You answered your own question. You want to be super muscular AND lean, gotta lift some weights.

You can do it with a strict diet and body weight exercise as well, but the key in all of this is a good diet.

Pete Rock

Front squat 355lbs. New 1 rep max.
I was like, goddamn! Fantastic as always!

See this is why I recommended throwing your hips back. The bar is nowhere near over your foot. Your whole posture/stance is thrown off as soon as you start moving down. And your back is rounding even more in this video than it was in the other one. And even though it's cut off, I just know your knees are going past your toes.
I agree with all of this.

Where did you purchase it? Right off the site? I assume you measure above your hips at the waste? Do they run small or large? Will the buckle last longer than the lever? If I go buckle should I get one prong or two?
I am also curious about any extra details on these belts as well. Their design and construction is very appealing and I've been thinking about scooping one as well. Thanks for raising these questions Cooter.

...I've somehow conditioned myself to suck it in constantly, and it actually feels unnatural to me to just let my belly 'hang'. I can even go topless and no-one would ever notice I've got a gut, but I do.
You have simply adapted yourself to bracing your core. You could literally be "sucking in" but I doubt it, most people use those terms to refer to tightening the abdominal muscles instead of letting your midsection "hang slack".

Here's the thing - even if you have a very low body fat and lots of muscle, you end up doing the same thing to "look your best". Whenever you see an ab shot of someone looking all beefed out they are incredibly tight in the core and are not just hanging loose.

I just wanted to address this as far as perspective is concerned, because nobody ever gets to the point where they are limp like a lizard sunning on a rock while looking all beefy. Yes you will still look comparatively lean and well-toned, but relaxed muscle tissue is just that no matter what your body fat percentage is.

This is why BB's practice poses. You can't just do it off-handed, you need to practice in front of a mirror and build the muscle memory and know how it feels building each successive line and flexing the right parts at the right times.

Are weights really the holy grail after diet...even if my aim isn't to get super muscular and lean?
I would reassess your goals because if you are currently skinny-fat and you want to move the other way, that way is to be muscular and lean. Cardio and calorie deficits are kind of useless at your current weight and build status, in my opinion. Focus on strength training and body recomposition through diet to get where you want to be.

...she should start using certain ingredients/removing others and generally cook healthier, I will.
You should start buying your own groceries and preparing all your meals ahead of time, sticking to that 100% throughout the week. Owning that responsibility will empower you, if you put it on someone else that's just not cool. In my opinion. You can eat incredibly well (nutrition and budget wise) for $100 a week if you shop in bulk ingredients.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I know exactly that feeling of getting caught just out of the hole. I always want to lean back to try to get the weight up but obviously that's a no-no. Beast lift.

Yeah, when I hit that grind it actually immediately clicked (elbows up UP UP) it also helps I look up at the crook of the ceiling when I'm doing these. Makes me track torso up.

Thanks.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I had a weightlifting moment of clarity today while lifting. I'm here. I made it. I don't want any more size. Don't want to be leaner. No desire to push higher upper body weight. This is it. There will be no more bulking or cutting. I'm a strong and huge 177 with abs I've never had in my life. Besides a couple DL and squat goals it's maintenance from here on out. Not bad getting here before I hit 35 I'd say. I'm proud of that.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I had a weightlifting moment of clarity today while lifting. I'm here. I made it. I don't want any more size. Don't want to be leaner. No desire to push higher upper body weight. This is it. There will be no more bulking or cutting. I'm a strong and huge 177 with abs I've never had in my life. Besides a couple DL and squat goals it's maintenance from here on out. Not bad getting here before I hit 35 I'd say. I'm proud of that.

You said this before. I don't believe you. The struggle is real, you're gonna wanna get bigger and stronger. It will only take a matter of time.

That said, you're a physical specimen there's no denying it and whatever you choose to do, you're gonna do it.

Cooter

You said this before. I don't believe you. The struggle is real, you're gonna wanna get bigger and stronger. It will only take a matter of time.

That said, you're a physical specimen there's no denying it and whatever you choose to do, you're gonna do it.
True but I've never been here and that was before all these injuries. I'll push the important lifts. Don't you worry.
Thanks for the kind words too. I'll have a 35 bday selfie in a couple weeks. It will be my most impressive and final form. I feel pretty confident stating that.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Fuck so I have bronchitis, had a cold all week and now the coughing and hacking of phlegm is uncontrollable at night.

Gonna start hitting hamstrings which are a huge weakness for me since I had stopped doing deadlifts. Did squats and hamstring shit on machines Friday. Last night, yes my hamstrings were fried, I finally did some deadlifts, triples, and went easy up to 455x3. I'm gonna take this slow and let my erectors and hamstrings build up again.

sphinx

the piano man
I was thinking, would you guys approve and use a "side" fitness thread, like cooter's progress thread but devoted specifically to nutrition and food???

if we had a thread with an OP that contained healthy suggestions for meals, I think we would be giving and getting very valuable help. I believe figuring a diet that fits my personal needs is many times harder than figuring out a goot workout plan.

frontieruk

Long time lurker, but had to mention this, scored myself a home bench press bench, barbell, dumbbells and 60kg of plates for $75 time to learn to lift :)

Pakoe

If flexibility is an issue, you can always try it using straps: http://robertsontrainingsystems.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/100_0379.jpg

Hmm interesting, never seen this thanks.

It's my understanding the crossed arms grip is not different mechanically. If you can't get the flexibility worked out I'd just go with that.

Exactly my mind set.

The cramp and hands hurting is probably from not having the wrist mobility to use that grip. Brolic is using the three-finger grip. You'll be fine using a two-finger grip or the cross grip. They're all legitimate ways to hold the bar up. Brandon Campbell shows how he does the cross grip here. CanditoTrainingHQ shows how I usually hold the bar here (two-finger grip). If you want to use the two-finger grip, work on your wrist mobility. The important thing about the grip is that you'll be able to keep your elbows up during the front squat.

Thanks for the links!

Sometimes these bother my wrists, but I just push through it anyway. I'd really try to do them like I do instead of the cross arm technique if you can. I've heard/read that the cross arm technique actually limits how much upper back involvement there is if you do it that way. I can tell you right now after doing this yesterday my upper back, glutes, quads, hams, and abs are sore as hell and I didn't even do much volume.

I see, i'll try to get them to work..

Cooter

I was thinking, would you guys approve and use a "side" fitness thread, like cooter's progress thread but devoted specifically to nutrition and food???

if we had a thread with an OP that contained healthy suggestions for meals, I think we would be giving and getting very valuable help. I believe figuring a diet that fits my personal needs is many times harder than figuring out a goot workout plan.
I like it. Start it, with FitGaf's ongoing effort to promote healthy living we bring you FitGaf's Official Nutrition Thread. Do it up Sphinx. The general public believes exercising will achieve all their goals and are naive about the importance of a proper diet.

Levi

Banned
I like it. Start it, with FitGaf's ongoing effort to promote healthy living we bring you FitGaf's Official Nutrition Thread. Do it up Sphinx. The general public believes exercising will achieve all their goals and are naive about the importance of a proper diet.

Yeah, my coworker joined my gym, set an aggressive weight loss goal (80 lbs) and still eats 600 calories worth of fritos with his breakfast burrito every morning. (which contains fried potato wedges). Plus he drinks those Mtn Dew Kickstarts all the time. I've been trying to help him with his diet, but I guess he thinks giving up soda was enough of a sacrifice. Hopefully he'll be more receptive when 90 minutes of cardio a week doesn't give him the results he's looking for. Frustrating.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Official Nutrition Thread |OT| "You can't outwork a shit diet"

agrajag

Banned
I could sure use some help in a nutrition thread. I can cook my ass off, but crunching numbers seems like too much work for me.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Me: FE how's that cut coming

FE: next week baby!

Cooter

I'm stoked! Just order my large 13mm red lever Inzer belt. I know it is going to take a few years to arrive but at least the order is in! I'm a 33-34 waste and small was 30-33 and large was 34-38. Figured large was the route to go.

IceCold

Anybody has experience with this bench:

41JE3B8OS5L._SX300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000XEAUD0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Seems chill. Height is good and it supports dips/pull-ups adds on. No decline unfortunately.

I'm looking for an affordable bench to do some dumbbell workouts at home. I don't want something too expensive since I live in an apartment right now and might have to sell it later on. I checked on craigslist and there isn't much there.

TylerD

I was feeling a lil swole' after my workout today.

20 starting strength workouts down and those weights are still going up!

3x5 squat +75 lbs
3x5 bench +50 lbs
1x5 deadlift +50lbs
3x5 ohp +30lbs
5x3 power clean +35lbs

Barbell rows up 20lbs, chin up weight assist down 40lbs, pull up weight assist down 30lbs, everything is going up up up! Body weight up from 168 to 175. :D

Edit: also: veins be poppin' double :D

Go_Ly_Dow

Nutrition thread would be great.

We could all contribute with recipes n shit.

Bulking on the cheap, quick etc.....

High protein/Low carb meals

sphinx

the piano man

but I have no real knowledge (or not enough, anyway) about nutrition :/

I was thinking about an OP with good info, like this one, done by someone who knows what he's talking about.

anyone willing to take on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom