• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matugi

Fuck so I have bronchitis, had a cold all week and now the coughing and hacking of phlegm is uncontrollable at night.

Gonna start hitting hamstrings which are a huge weakness for me since I had stopped doing deadlifts. Did squats and hamstring shit on machines Friday. Last night, yes my hamstrings were fried, I finally did some deadlifts, triples, and went easy up to 455x3. I'm gonna take this slow and let my erectors and hamstrings build up again.

I had bronchitis first semester last year; it was awful. For whatever reason, though, exercising helped break up the phlegm. I would medicate, wait about half an hour, hit the gym, feel fine as the endorphins rushed, then about two hours post lift I would be back to dying.

deadbeef

I broke my freaking toe last week by dropping a 45 lb. plate on it. I can't catch a break. Between my tennis elbow and this, the exercises I can perform are minimal. Maybe I can still GM... Maybe.

agrajag

Banned
I broke my freaking toe last week by dropping a 45 lb. plate on it. I can't catch a break. Between my tennis elbow and this, the exercises I can perform are minimal. Maybe I can still GM... Maybe.

Ouch, that sucks about your broken toe dude. I'm nursing a tennis elbow too. I've been trying to stay away from anything that aggravates it, which is just about any upper body lift. Looks like a few days of nothing but legs and core work.

Piecake

I bought a lacrosse ball since I determined my ankle mobility sucks, though I think I have some impingement problems thanks to sprained ankles, excessive tissue and worn tendons, but I also have some super tight calves that the foam roller never seem to hit. Well, the Lacrosse ball definitely hits those spots. Holy crap.

TylerD

I had bronchitis first semester last year; it was awful. For whatever reason, though, exercising helped break up the phlegm. I would medicate, wait about half an hour, hit the gym, feel fine as the endorphins rushed, then about two hours post lift I would be back to dying.

Last time I had bronchitis, I purchased a vaporizer and some eucalyptus oil and breathed that shit for hours a day. Does a wonderful job of breaking up all that mucus and smelled really nice. The noise the vaporizer made as it worked was also very soothing.

deadbeef

Ouch, that sucks about your broken toe dude. I'm nursing a tennis elbow too. I've been trying to stay away from anything that aggravates it, which is just about any upper body lift. Looks like a few days of nothing but legs and core work.

My tennis elbow has been bothering me for a few months now. The doctor gave me Mobic and some rehab exercises to do, but it hasn't really helped. I've still been able to bench and OHP. Have you not?

agrajag

Banned
My tennis elbow has been bothering me for a few months now. The doctor gave me Mobic and some rehab exercises to do, but it hasn't really helped. I've still been able to bench and OHP. Have you not?

Wow, mine hasn't been bad enough that I've seen a doctor, but it's been an on and off chronic issue for me. I had to bail on two bench sessions because of it so far.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom

Yea it clears up during lifting, although I do feel I'm breathing heavier. I'm using some cepacol extra strength and Buckleys that really helps numb the throat and prevent the coughing spasms. Drinking lots of water too. My strength is down a bit right now I'm noticing.

I almost broke my thumb at the gym. Some idiot stacked the 25lbs plates where it was just hanging on edge of a peg in the power rack. I pick a 45 underneath and the 25 drops on my thumb. Began cursing out loud, thumb was swollen for a week.

Theres this guy that clips on 155lbs on his dip belt, and then proceeds to dip at like, 1/8 depth. Like literally from lockout to the moment his elbows get angled, thats a rep. Its so distracting. Also tries to do pullups with 100lbs+, and will try to stack 225 on the lying chest protected row machine. I dont get it, he probably gets more of a workout adjusting all his plates than actually 'exercising.' Cant wait to run into him again tomorrow.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Last week I did 16 singles on rack pulls and I think I gained a fuckload of strength because today my grip wasn't able to keep up with the rest of my strength and I couldn't get a good back workout because my grip failed while the rest of my body was lifting the weight easy :(

Niven

Hey guys I'm new here and was looking for some help so over the past two years I've been at uni at and got super lazy and eating like shit resulting in me putting on the pounds now I want to start losing weight and getting back in to shape but at the minute I'm not a member at the gym (money) I'll be back a member next month but anyway since I'd like to lose weight and get back in shape I've started jogging some times even twice a day along with playing badminton most days but I still feel like I'm not doing enough I don't feel like I'm pushing myself! I was just wondering if there's anything anyone would recommend to do for this month while I I don't have access to a gym that might help me lose fat and feel like I'm pushing myself any help will be much appreciated

Go_Ly_Dow

Hey guys I'm new here and was looking for some help so over the past two years I've been at uni at and got super lazy and eating like shit resulting in me putting on the pounds now I want to start losing weight and getting back in to shape but at the minute I'm not a member at the gym (money) I'll be back a member next month but anyway since I'd like to lose weight and get back in shape I've started jogging some times even twice a day along with playing badminton most days but I still feel like I'm not doing enough I don't feel like I'm pushing myself! I was just wondering if there's anything anyone would recommend to do for this month while I I don't have access to a gym that might help me lose fat and feel like I'm pushing myself any help will be much appreciated

What's your, weigbt/height and honest goals? Lose fat and gain muscle, get stronger etc...?

Theres a routine in the OP called starting strength. Read up on that.

With that you start low weight to learn to do the exercises correctly but after just a few weeks you quickly advance through the weight and it becomes really challenging.

Its a proven routine that really helps generate some strength and get set a base for your body to work with going forward.

It will definitely push you.

Niven

What's your, weigbt/height and honest goals? Lose fat and gain muscle, get stronger etc...?

Theres a routine in the OP called starting strength. Read up on that.

With that you start low weight to learn to do the exercises correctly but after just a few weeks you quickly advance through the weight and it becomes really challenging.

Its a proven routine that really helps generate some strength and get set a base for your body to work with going forward.

It will definitely push you.

I'm around 15 stone and 6'1
Yeah I'd like to lose fat and gain muscle, I'd like to be around this weight still but muscle not fat and I with defiantly read up on that and try it, I mean I don't even really know where to start haha like how much should I look to lose before trying to get bigger with muscle?

while squatting 176 yesterday dude at the gym says my squats scare him (I go below parralel)

TheFuck.jpg

it all made sense when I saw him try half squat the same weight

Zero2kz

So I tweaked my back a bit last Saturday doing squats. I lost tension in my core and caught myself hyper extending my back when doing about 90% of my 1RM. Over one week later, and it has only gotten slightly better. Now that I got approval from my Doctor to deadlift with my shoulder injury, I now have to wait for my back to heal. I am falling apart. :(

Petrie

Banned
Fitgaf bros, I cannot seem to get my diet back in check! I keep proclaiming "alright, this is it, back to clean eating" and then the next day I lazily order a pizza and grab a bag of chips. I'm back over 200lbs (175-180 is probably my ideal weight) but it's been hard to get truly motivated ever since moving out after things with the girl went to shit.

Not really looking for a solution as I clearly know what that is, but damn is it tough to find the motivation. At least I keep getting stronger I suppose.

Piecake

Fitgaf bros, I cannot seem to get my diet back in check! I keep proclaiming "alright, this is it, back to clean eating" and then the next day I lazily order a pizza and grab a bag of chips. I'm back over 200lbs (175-180 is probably my ideal weight) but it's been hard to get truly motivated ever since moving out after things with the girl went to shit.

Not really looking for a solution as I clearly know what that is, but damn is it tough to find the motivation. At least I keep getting stronger I suppose.

One technique is to tell yourself that you can have Pizza and junk food later, just not now. Studies have shown that that is really the only effective way to tell yourself to not do something. The usefulness of this method is that people who did this are more likely to not eat the whatever in the future to because telling yourself you'll have it later satisfies your craving while retaining willpower. Of course, you actually have to believe you will have these foods eventually. That could be like a once a month/year thing though.

Easiest way to avoid shit food is to not have it around your place and in your sight. If ordering pizza and eating junk food has become a habit though - meaning a specific queue results in that behavior, you have to change that habit for it to be effective

MrMuscle

Hey guys, just wanted to check in with like minded gaffers. Im 35 years, been lifting for 22 years now. I was into Athletics in my younger years but after finding the weight room i never left.

Did the Personal trainer thing for a couple of years and now i run a small supplement web shop in Norway.

I just like to train hard and eat right. Oh and i love Ben&Jerry´s!

CrankyJay

Banned

Try eating cleanly and watching the scale go back up 4 pounds...but I know I'm slimming down. Time to throw out my scale...

Cudder

Dude, you've logged into Myfitnesspal for like 800 days straight, what are you doing on it? lol.

Petrie

Banned
Dude, you've logged into Myfitnesspal for like 800 days straight, what are you doing on it? lol.

It's more of an OCD at this point. Even if I'm eating like shit, I want to have that data, because it's still useful data when I compared it to my lifts.

I just need to suck it up and stop eating through the depression. It's absolutely a coping mechanism for the negative shit, and I should just go for a walk or spend more time in the gym or something.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Turn a negative into a positive, dirty bulk? Maybe? I dunno man. Hope things get better for you.

grumble

It's more of an OCD at this point. Even if I'm eating like shit, I want to have that data, because it's still useful data when I compared it to my lifts.

I just need to suck it up and stop eating through the depression. It's absolutely a coping mechanism for the negative shit, and I should just go for a walk or spend more time in the gym or something.

Well, get your life in order first man. There are times when you need to figure out the stressful things in your life first . But you can still have some fun food and get the results you want, it's not a black and white thing. Your hardcore myfitnesspal use is the best tool for that!

If you want another reason, if you turn into a fat depressed shut in then the girlfriend was right. Prove it to yourself that you're able to do more and be more, fitness wise and otherwise.

grumble

Hey guys, just wanted to check in with like minded gaffers. Im 35 years, been lifting for 22 years now. I was into Athletics in my younger years but after finding the weight room i never left.

Did the Personal trainer thing for a couple of years and now i run a small supplement web shop in Norway.

I just like to train hard and eat right. Oh and i love Ben&Jerry´s!

Welcome!

Petrie

Banned
Turn a negative into a positive, dirty bulk? Maybe? I dunno man. Hope things get better for you.

That's all it's been. Lifting the highest numbers ever with no signs of stopping (escept pullups cause now I'm a fatty!). Just a bit of a belly to go with those numbers now!

Well, get your life in order first man. There are times when you need to figure out the stressful things in your life first . But you can still have some fun food and get the results you want, it's not a black and white thing. Your hardcore myfitnesspal use is the best tool for that!

If you want another reason, if you turn into a fat depressed shut in then the girlfriend was right. Prove it to yourself that you're able to do more and be more, fitness wise and otherwise.

Thanks for the kind words. Truly. I think I need to get back to being in here more regularly. You guys keep me motivated and on track.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
That's all it's been. Lifting the highest numbers ever with no signs of stopping (escept pullups cause now I'm a fatty!). Just a bit of a belly to go with those numbers now!

Thanks for the kind words. Truly. I think I need to get back to being in here more regularly. You guys keep me motivated and on track.

You're on the FallingEdge train then! It ain't all bad! You can't argue with numbers!

I do notice the less I post in here the shittier my diet is. Maybe that's the key...maybe this thread will solve my dieting woes!

You're on the FallingEdge train then! It ain't all bad! You can't argue with numbers!

I do notice the less I post in here the shittier my diet is. Maybe that's the key...maybe this thread will solve my dieting woes!

I find myself avoiding this thread when i go through slack periods because it reminds me that i've been slacking off. Well and truly back on the train now and this thread provides a lot of motivation.

Petrie

Banned
Just treat this as a bulk Petrie! But at some point you just gotta say, enough is enough, I'm cutting now.

Yeah. It's hard for me to worry too much because despite the lousy diet, my A1C (measures how well I am managing my diabetes) is the lowest it has been in a few years, bordering on regular people numbers. So clearly what I'm doing is still working great health-wise.

You sure? There is such a thing as purely biological depression.

155 and i am done, today is the final cut day. I look a little leaner than the last time I hit this weight even though I'm not totally carb depleted and my skinfolds are lower so the bulk did something! Lost a couple reps but still lifting the same weight.

Progress pics sometime soonish.

Petrie

Banned
You sure? There is such a thing as purely biological depression.

I'm pretty sure. My girl of 5 years and I split up a little while back which was when it began, and it seems to relate to feelings dealing with that. Just need to find a more positive outlet rather than food. Doesn't help that when I lived with her my gym was a block away, now it's 20 minutes each way making it harder to be motivated sometimes. Easier to order a pizza.

You'll get back on Petrie, just gotta focus on one thing at a time. And hey, like you said, you're stronger than ever.

True story. I'm pushing weight without my belt that I couldn't do before even with the belt. So there's definitely progress being made. Dirty bulk FTW!

Chocobro

Brandon Campbell uploaded a video about a website that gives free customized meal plans with recipes. Really neat website.
EDIT: You can choose:
- How many calorie and meals you want to eat.
- What macros you want (range or percentage). They also have presets depending on diets, such as Atkins/Keto, Paleo, etc.
- What kind of foods you do/don't want to eat.
- Whether or not you have time to cook.
- What your price range is per day.

SeanR1221

Well I can see what's brolics said before.

A girl from work sent me a video of her boyfriend or fuck buddy whoever he is benching 300lbs. Form was fairly sloppy but not awful. But what stuck out was how small he was. Not that your size means something, but it didn't look like a build that could push that weight.

Then she texts me he's juicing :-D like it's this thing to be proud of.

I never responded to the text because I don't know why she's sending me videos of this in the first place. It was like a weird humble brag, but I was just reminded of what Brolic said. A lot of dudes out there are juicing, even the ones who don't look it.

Cudder

Brandon Campbell uploaded a video about a website that gives free customized meal plans with recipes. Really neat website.
- What macros you want (range or percentage). They also have presets depending on diets, such as Atkins/Keto, Paleo, etc.

That's pretty amazing.

Pete Rock

Then she texts me he's juicing :-D like it's this thing to be proud of.
I would make a joke here but domestic violence is not very funny so I will just say :( frowny face

There are these two goons who started coming down to the weight room lately with this little laminated card(?), they only seem to do upper body and the only legit exercise I've seen them attempt (ohp) they cheat with absolute zeal and turn it into some wacked out jerk motion, doing 80% of the weight with their legs before they even start to press.

I was finishing up my squats last Friday and noticed their "schedule" left behind on top of the paper towel dispenser. So curiosity got the best of me. It wasn't even a laminated sheet, it was like a honey-do list piece of paper covered in clear packing tape, ghetto as fuck. It's basically like a billion stupid variations of rows and skullcrushers every day of the week. No squats, no deadlifts, no nothing.

They wear basketball shorts that go past their knees and tank tops, they look like fatass hunch backed goons and now I know why (on paper)... a workout "week" like that with a diet of cheetos and bud light, loooool fuuuuuu

I only shame them because every time they are done doing their shitty press on the front of the rack or their shitty overhanded rows with the weight on one end of the bar hanging in the way on the deadlift platform, they leave the bar loaded and look at me like I'm an idiot when I ask them if they are done with it. Before I clean it off for them and setup my own shit. Scum of the earth.

ldcommando

Banned

That site is fucking awesome.

This is exactly what my dad keeps asking me to do for him (he's as picky as I was when I was like, 9). Thank you for sharing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom