• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

ldcommando

Banned
Yo dat feeling when you ate like a animal all week then you weight in just to see that you actually lost weight. Feels bad, bros.

I really like my abs today

A1fEvlB.jpg

Pathos

Banned
Yeah, there is usually 1 or 2 guys at most gyms who are just douchebags. This 1 guy goes around trying to give advice, which is almost always wrong, and act like he's the shit. He once told me to never touch the ground when deadlifting and my friend to never lockout your arms when doing OHP. I think most people hate this guy's guts. He's also one of those people who like to leave their shit around and not put it away after working out.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I don't think I can squat with a belt. It pinches my side fat and gives stretch marks. Maybe I'm wearing it wrong?

Well went to the gym for like the first time in 6-8 years (started school again and they have a small gym) tried just following the basic body workout in the OP.

Squats 3x5@145 after doing sets of bar and 95 to get a good feel for weight.
Deadlift 3x5 @115 - I'll probably up this next time likely too low.
Bench 3x5@115

and just some basic bicep curls 3x5@30.

Next time I might try squats at 150/155 and I'll probably jump the deadlift to ~130.

Well went to the gym for like the first time in 6-8 years (started school again and they have a small gym) tried just following the basic body workout in the OP.

Squats 3x5@145 after doing sets of bar and 95 to get a good feel for weight.
Deadlift 3x5 @115 - I'll probably up this next time likely too low.
Bench 3x5@115

and just some basic bicep curls 3x5@30.

Next time I might try squats at 150/155 and I'll probably jump the deadlift to ~130.

I would cut back on the deadlift (maybe do 1x5) and use heavier weight like 135+

Unless you feel like 115 was heavy, that weight maybe too low for a deadlift. Unless you have uniform plates, the 45 plates provide the ideal barbell height.

I would cut back on the deadlift (maybe do 1x5) and use heavier weight like 135+

Unless you feel like 115 was heavy, that weight maybe too low for a deadlift. Unless you have uniform plates, the 45 plates provide the ideal barbell height.

I think it was definitely too low. Just wasn't sure how much I should jump it. Guess I'll just add increments of 10ish next time til I think it feels right.

Faiz

Anyone have any specific wrist wraps they recommend? or are they all basically the same shit?

I REALLY like Strength Wraps. They are thinner than the usual Velcro type so there isn't as much bulky material, get super tight, and you can easily loosen and retighten between set without having to rewrap.

grumble

Hahaha 10lbs weights were basically a waste of $35 for me. :(

Why? There are exercises that even someone without much muscle mass yet can use them for. Goblet squats. Bent over rows, shrugs, lunges, calf raises, Bulgarian split squats. Lawn mowers, pullovers, chest presses, etc.

Dot sell yourself short! Continue to improve and challenge yourself; this stuff is supposed to be tough. Everyone's get your back and you'll be doing 10lbs on your weights in no time!

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I don't feel like combing this thread so please forgive me. Please hook me up with all the Inzer belt info you've got! Thanks guys.

BPoole

Anyone have any good tips for Lat workouts? I do Lat pull downs pretty regularly but my lats never seem to get stronger. Meanwhile, working weight in every other muscle has gone up significantly over the past 8 months. I can't even do a single pull up and I'm having trouble making sense of it

Anyone have any good tips for Lat workouts? I do Lat pull downs pretty regularly but my lats never seem to get stronger. Meanwhile, working weight in every other muscle has gone up significantly over the past 8 months. I can't even do a single pull up and I'm having trouble making sense of it

Pullup is the only answer. Try to do negatives or someone help you do pull ups. I forced myself and got better with pull ups.Before i also had trouble to do one proper dead hang pull up but now i can do some since i always just tried with negatives and then when i can do one i did it till i can't no more for 3 sets.

Faiz

I had a similar problem; pulldowns did nothing for me. Drop the pull downs and switch to assisted chin-ups. Or pull ups if you prefer but you'll recruit more muscle groups doing chins instead, making the excercise overall easier and more effective.

Your gym probably has a pile of bands you can use, if not they're pretty easy to come by in fitness stores and online supply shops. You can progressively drop the amount of assistance by reducing the size/number of bands.

Alternatively your gym may have an assisted chinup machine. It's better than pulldowns IMO but band assisted chins were better still for me.

J. Bravo

on the topic of lats, my right one is bigger than my left. any way to correct that, or should i just continue doing pullups and db rows?

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I use water with my shakes. Tastes fine. I use 6-8oz of water per scoop of protein depending on how diluted I want the flavor to be. Sometimes I'll spice it up with unsweetened almond milk (45 cal per 8oz). And it's one teaspoon of creatine (5g), not one tablespoon.

Side note, just tried the cookies and cream flavor Quest bar for the first time. My god, this stuff is crack. Delicious.

A friend recommended milk instead of water for that extra energy (whatever the hell that means). There might be instructions on my protein so I'll follow that, if not, I'll follow what you said Bowser, thanks for the help!

Just lined out my meals for the first two days. God damn, I never knew counting everything would be so difficult, especially when finding those last few fats and calories to put in. Thank the heavens for Monterrey Jack Cheese.

Piecake

A friend recommended milk instead of water for that extra energy (whatever the hell that means). There might be instructions on my protein so I'll follow that, if not, I'll follow what you said Bowser, thanks for the help!

Just lined out my meals for the first two days. God damn, I never knew counting everything would be so difficult, especially when finding those last few fats and calories to put in. Thank the heavens for Monterrey Jack Cheese.

I am actually finding it kinda fun. Its like a little game. After my first bulk attempt, like you, I went out and bought some cheese. I made it, but holy crap, it was painful. I really didnt have any highly caloric food with good protein that I could take from my fridge and just eat. I had to cook everything, which made it an even bigger pain in the ass.

The greek yogurt I had was no fat as well, so hopefully those two foods will make monday a lot easier. I can pound out some cheese and full fat greek yogurt. It is a lot more difficult to pound out eggs and tuna/cottage cheese, lol

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I am actually finding it kinda fun. Its like a little game. After my first bulk attempt, like you, I went out and bought some cheese. I made it, but holy crap, it was painful. I really didnt have any highly caloric food with good protein that I could take from my fridge and just eat. I had to cook everything, which made it an even bigger pain in the ass.

The greek yogurt I had was no fat as well, so hopefully those two foods will make monday a lot easier. I can pound out some cheese and full fat greek yogurt. It is a lot more difficult to pound out eggs and tuna/cottage cheese, lol

Dude omg, I know! Luckily for me, I'm just downing 50g of protein in my shake since I have no better alternative to afford a lot of high protein foods at the moment till later on... I have an entire can of tuna with two whole wheat slices and 2 slices of jack cheese for lunch and I'm surprised how much that meal can pack in!

Plus that greek yogurt is a life savior, I still haven't even put cottage cheese in yet but will do by the end of the week if there is room for more. Its ridiculous how on point you have to be in this.

But I'm not trying to bulk up, I'm trying to burn a lot of fat so maybe milk might not be the best idea...

Piecake

Dude omg, I know! Luckily for me, I'm just downing 50g of protein in my shake since I have no better alternative to afford a lot of high protein foods at the moment till later on... I have an entire can of tuna with two whole wheat slices and 2 slices of jack cheese for lunch and I'm surprised how much that meal can pack in!

Plus that greek yogurt is a life savior, I still haven't even put cottage cheese in yet but will do by the end of the week if there is room for more. Its ridiculous how on point you have to be in this.

But I'm not trying to bulk up, I'm trying to burn a lot of fat so maybe milk might not be the best idea...

Yea, I avoided the protein shakes and cheap bulk drinks. I wanted to keep it as healthy and filling as possible. I avoided cheese and full fat greek yogurt at first because I can overeat that stuff so easily I was afraid it would ruin my diet. I didnt realize I basiclaly had to eat till I exploded on a high protein diet, lol. So far, so good. An easy trick to tell yourself to stave off cravings on cut days is to simply tell yourself you can have that tomorrow or two days from now.

Tuna + Cottage cheese + Siracha is a ridiculous tasty combo, stupid cheap and absurdly high in protein. I mean, I think that both taste like ass alone, but together I think they balance out their weaknesses. Canned Tuna is just too dry and Cottage cheese's texture is just too wet and gross. Mix them together and bam, both problems solved.

If you are trying to build muscle and lose weight you might want to consider leangains. My guess is that I am at about 20% body fat so I went with a body recomp 20+ above maintenance on MWF and 20% below on rest days. I think i'll lose weight with this because over the week I will be at a caloric deficit, but it won't be as severe as a leangains cut. Leangains cut realyl didnt appeal to me since that is -10 and -30%. That didnt sound like fun.

I have no idea if it works or not besides internet testimonials, but it sounds interesting, safe, and healthy, so I thought id give it a shot. I find the leangains method a lot more appealing than traditional bulk/cut since I can't fathom bulking or cutting for an extended period of time and I don't eat breakfast already, so stretching it to 16 hours didnt seem like that big of a deal.

BPoole

Pullup is the only answer. Try to do negatives or someone help you do pull ups. I forced myself and got better with pull ups.Before i also had trouble to do one proper dead hang pull up but now i can do some since i always just tried with negatives and then when i can do one i did it till i can't no more for 3 sets.

I had a similar problem; pulldowns did nothing for me. Drop the pull downs and switch to assisted chin-ups. Or pull ups if you prefer but you'll recruit more muscle groups doing chins instead, making the excercise overall easier and more effective.

Your gym probably has a pile of bands you can use, if not they're pretty easy to come by in fitness stores and online supply shops. You can progressively drop the amount of assistance by reducing the size/number of bands.

Alternatively your gym may have an assisted chinup machine. It's better than pulldowns IMO but band assisted chins were better still for me.
I'll give these a shot. My gym does have the assisted pull up machine, but I'm honestly embarrassed using it since I feel like I should be able to do them just fine. My workout buddy does the same weight on pretty much everything, but he can bang out 10 pull ups with fair ease. He does weigh 20 pounds less than me, but I just expect better out of myself.

Bowser

Went to a wedding tonight and went buckwild. I'm literally in a food coma. My stomach hurts lol. Haven't eaten this much Indian food in like 6 months.

Piecake

I'll give these a shot. My gym does have the assisted pull up machine, but I'm honestly embarrassed using it since I feel like I should be able to do them just fine. My workout buddy does the same weight on pretty much everything, but he can bang out 10 pull ups with fair ease. He does weigh 20 pounds less than me, but I just expect better out of myself.

Do negatives. Start at the top and slowly lower yourself down to a dead hang.

Nah don't feel bad, there is a big hump to get over with pullups.

The good news is, once you can do 5, getting to 10+ is very easy. The issue then is how boring it is to do lots of pullups over and over.

YoungHav

Banned
I have a question? How fit can one get without lifting weights?

I intend to do running, pushups, situps, and burpees. I just hate lifting.

Piecake

I have a question? How fit can one get without lifting weights?

I intend to do running, pushups, situps, and burpees. I just hate lifting.

Well, if you mean losing weight, then...

Diet>>>>>Lifting>>>Cardio

Don't do situps. They fuck up your back. Do planks or something similar instead.

YoungHav

Banned
What's your definition of fit?
My bad, I meant just losing weight. I am 240, looking to drop 40lbs. I have a naturally muscular physique, I just want to look ok. Not a gym/weights fan. Do pushups increase bicep muscles?
Well, if you mean losing weight, then...

Diet>>>>>Lifting>>>Cardio

Don't do situps. They fuck up your back. Do planks or something similar instead.
Will do planks then. Do crunches fuck up your back as well?

Piecake

My bad, I meant just losing weight. I am 240, looking to drop 40lbs. I have a naturally muscular physique, I just want to look ok. Not a gym/weights fan. Do pushups increase bicep muscles?

Will do planks then. Do crunches fuck up your back as well?

yes

Sadetar

My last cut I went from 213 to 188. My week basically consisted of lifting and cardio and little carbs. On Saturdays I cut loose with whatever I wanted. Booze, burgers, etc. Monday mornings I'd be down consistently 2-3 pounds. It would all drop off in a single woosh. Lol. Craziness.

Doing another cut now. Down to 205 from 211. Big glass of Shiraz in hand right now.
Hahah, it does sound somewhat insane, but as long as it is working, it is just purely awesome. It sounds like total madness, but during this week (!) my weight have dropped nearly 9 pounds / 4 kilos. During the last three weeks before this, it didn't go anywhere though.

I am actually slightly freaked out and might want to get my thyroxine levels checked. Does anybody have any understanding that can weight loss actually fuck up medication dosages? I eat the same amount than before, but I am having a slight feeling, that it might affect me more than it perhaps should.

Also I have been worried, since nowadays if I have been laying down for some time and get up too fast, I get dizzy. Hasn't happened before either, but now it seems to happen basicly all the time when I do that... Is that normal?

I saw this dude doing partial squats yesterday, and I was sorely tempted to tell him that he needs to go to at least parallel. I didnt since I don't know him and didn't know how he would react.

That said, I would really appreciate it if someone ever went up to me and told me that I was doing an exercise completely wrong or needed to change something to improve my form.
That is a really nice idea. For example I was tempted to mention about SS to a small fellow doing somewhat pointless looking things at the gym, but I didn't. I actually realized, that he might have his own reasons to do what ever he was doing and I couldn't think of any polite and friendly way to talk to him about it.

For example I do squats myself, but because of my back problems my physiotherapist has strickly forbid me for going to parallel or under it. Sounds utterly stupid, I am aware of that, but I am still going to stick with his advices for the time being to heal myself. So like said, of course I generally like the idea of people helping you out, if you are doing something pointless or wrong, but it might be quite hard to tell when that is actually the case and some people might take offence if you try to give them advices (I need to add, that I still wouldn't mind it at all, on the contrary).

Aw shucks, thanks for that! I needed a bit of an ego boost this week. :)
Awww, sweetie, any time. :D

Hahaha 10lbs weights were basically a waste of $35 for me. :(
You will work your way to them. :) Patience my dear.

Also like mentioned in here, you can use those little beauties to quite many things.

I really like my abs today
What a lucky coincidence - I really like your abs today as well. :p

Front squat 355lbs. New 1 rep max.

http://youtu.be/Y6qFunfdIr4
I always check your links and I don't know how you do the things you are doing. Insane. :D Awesome work like always!

Pakoe

Gyms always have an odd asshat or two.

Asked a guy very polietely how long he had left on the squat rack. His response in a snarky way was "how long is a piece of string". He was doing incline bench and i wanted to squat so after that I just said no problem will wait instead, of asking to work in.

Then proceeded to watch him do bench during my rest and achieving 1/3rd range of motion with ridiculous weight and then complain to his friend he injured his shoulder. Was extremely loud and kept saying cunt constantly.

All made sense later when I saw what looked like roid back scars/acne in the changing room when I was leaving.

Thankfully in 2 years only my second direct dealing with a gym clown.

What a rude fucking cunt, absolutely hate people like this.

Slow pullups, watch your form. If you can, add weight.

Front squat 355lbs. New 1 rep max.

http://youtu.be/Y6qFunfdIr4

I still can't figure out how to place my hands with a front squat, i can't bend that far or something. As soon as i place them i get cramps and my hands start hurting.

Faiz

I understand that emotion but one of the relatively common responses to similar concerns you'll see through out this thread is 'don't compare yourself to others'.

Seriously, that path leads to folly.

When you start the assisted pull-ups, make sure you're doing the complete range of motion - start at a complete dead hang, pull you chest all the way to where it touches the bar, return to dead hang. Stick with, complete range of motion on every rep, reduce assistance steadily and slowly. Focus on exploding out of the bottom. You WILL get there.

Edit: also, regarding all the suggestions to do negatives - negatives do work. I tend not to recommend them myself because I found myself getting bored. As you're only doing half the motion, and the part of the motion that is strongest to boot, I found I had to do too many of them to get the muscles fatigued. Your mileage may vary, though. They have definitely helped plenty of people work up to those first few pulls.

Faiz

What a rude fucking cunt, absolutely hate people like this.

Slow pullups, watch your form. If you can, add weight.

I still can't figure out how to place my hands with a front squat, i can't bend that far or something. As soon as i place them i get cramps and my hands start hurting.

It's my understanding the crossed arms grip is not different mechanically. If you can't get the flexibility worked out I'd just go with that.

Been cutting since Feb than going on a yolo cut sinc April. I think its finally getting to me now. These cravings are ridiculous. My cut diet is 100% perfect when on a normal day to day basis, but when I go home to my moms place or summer home out east, there is LOADS of food being served all day. I litterally wake up to a breakfast buffett every morning when I am there and all throughout the day there is cake, cookies and alcaholic beverages being served. So on the weekends I obviously cave in. I need a good 2 week hibernation break and just stay in recluse than I will get to 7%.

grumble

Hahah, it does sound somewhat insane, but as long as it is working, it is just purely awesome. It sounds like total madness, but during this week (!) my weight have dropped nearly 9 pounds / 4 kilos. During the last three weeks before this, it didn't go anywhere though.

I am actually slightly freaked out and might want to get my thyroxine levels checked. Does anybody have any understanding that can weight loss actually fuck up medication dosages? I eat the same amount than before, but I am having a slight feeling, that it might affect me more than it perhaps should.

Also I have been worried, since nowadays if I have been laying down for some time and get up too fast, I get dizzy. Hasn't happened before either, but now it seems to happen basicly all the time when I do that... Is that normal?

That is a really nice idea. For example I was tempted to mention about SS to a small fellow doing somewhat pointless looking things at the gym, but I didn't. I actually realized, that he might have his own reasons to do what ever he was doing and I couldn't think of any polite and friendly way to talk to him about it.

For example I do squats myself, but because of my back problems my physiotherapist has strickly forbid me for going to parallel or under it. Sounds utterly stupid, I am aware of that, but I am still going to stick with his advices for the time being to heal myself. So like said, of course I generally like the idea of people helping you out, if you are doing something pointless or wrong, but it might be quite hard to tell when that is actually the case and some people might take offence if you try to give them advices (I need to add, that I still wouldn't mind it at all, on the contrary).

Awww, sweetie, any time. :D

You will work your way to them. :) Patience my dear.

Also like mentioned in here, you can use those little beauties to quite many things.

What a lucky coincidence - I really like your abs today as well. :p

I always check your links and I don't know how you do the things you are doing. Insane. :D Awesome work like always!

You likely lost some retained water weight. Congrats! The dizziness from standing up is because your blood pressure is low. Supplement with iron (take a multi every day just in case) and be careful that you are getting enough food to keep energy levels up.

Pakoe

It's my understanding the crossed arms grip is not different mechanically. If you can't get the flexibility worked out I'd just go with that.

Someone once told me cross grip is worse? Haven't done any research on it and been doing cross grip ever since i started doing front squats.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I've got the 13mm Navy Blue Lever belt. Pretty much adore it. Anything particular you wanna know?
Where did you purchase it? Right off the site? I assume you measure above your hips at the waste? Do they run small or large? Will the buckle last longer than the lever? If I go buckle should I get one prong or two?

Chocobro

Someone once told me cross grip is worse? Haven't done any research on it and been doing cross grip ever since i started doing front squats.
The cramp and hands hurting is probably from not having the wrist mobility to use that grip. Brolic is using the three-finger grip. You'll be fine using a two-finger grip or the cross grip. They're all legitimate ways to hold the bar up. Brandon Campbell shows how he does the cross grip here. CanditoTrainingHQ shows how I usually hold the bar here (two-finger grip). If you want to use the two-finger grip, work on your wrist mobility. The important thing about the grip is that you'll be able to keep your elbows up during the front squat.

SeanR1221

The best part of SS is I'm eating big. I figure you have to eat big now as the numbers will add up quickly.

Yesterday, I had this humongous plate of schezuane chicken. Like it was easily 3 meals. Also had a side of dan dan noodles.

Go_Ly_Dow

Just played 2 hours of football (soccer) and feel dead.

Fuck cardio. My gains feel compromised. Time to eat a whole pizza.

Cudder

Where did you purchase it? Is it one size fits all? Will the buckle last longer than the lever? If I go buckle should I get one prong or two?

I purchased it from the Inzer website. It's not one size fits all, you'll have to measure around your lower belly area and pick the size depending on what you measure at. I believe I got a large, which is great because there's lots of room on either side to adjust the belt.

I'm not too sure about the durability of lever vs prong, I'm sure they're both fine. I mainly got the lever because it feels really good to quickly pull the lever so it loosens right up allowing you to breathe right after a big lift. With a prong belt you'd have to pull on your belt (making it tighter) to get the prongs out and get the belt off. The ease of use of the lever belt is amazing.

Check out this review. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Levi

Banned
Thanks for all the tips, guys. Feeling embarrassed so I deleted the videos, but I'm also really appreciative of the time you guys took to help.

Cudder

Can you check my form check on Squats, if you guys don't mind.

Squatz: http://youtu.be/MTEo_qBtNfc

Break at the hips first, not your knees. Your hips should be the first thing that move. Throw it back and lower yourself that way. Your back looks like it could be straighter/tighter, and you're also a couple inches shy of parallel it looks like. Also change your shoes if you can, those basketball shoes aren't gonna help you.

SeanR1221

Break at the hips first, not your knees. Your hips should be the first thing that move. Throw it back and lower yourself that way. Your back looks like it could be straighter/tighter, and you're also a couple inches shy of parallel it looks like. Also change your shoes if you can, those basketball shoes aren't gonna help you.

Pretty much everything I was going to say.

Might be wrong but think you need to go a bit lower.

Not wrong at all. Some were close, others were really high.

Chocobro

Breaking at the hips works for low-bar squats. He has a high-bar squat set-up though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom