• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pete Rock

I meant that I don't want to post anymore in a fitness related thread that isn't this one.
This is basically my policy. If the OP cannot find the central nexus of this knowledge in the community section and instead makes their own OT thread about programming, inspiration, diet or anything along those lines it is basically a waste of time to participate.

At the very least they are dumb enough to think they are special and deserve their own thread, at the worst it is just one of many examples of a pattern of unhealthy "interaction" where they exhibit this vexing desire to express/assert themselves but are not interested in a dialog.

It's generally a bunch of non-gymmers/casuals making statements like "yeah, I should do that too" or "no that will never work because reasons" in between people screaming at each other over slut/muscle/ego stroking/shaming.

I'll take FitGAF over the void, any day of the week.

I just realized you create all those threads. To stir the pot. Bad sunflower, BAD!!
Ooooooh busted!

I just realized you create all those threads. To stir the pot. Bad sunflower, BAD!!

X6VwIze.gif

I legit want good discussion out there. It's not my fault we rarely get it.

Dialogue and debate usually goes one way in those threads, and it's usually to those who yell and scream the most.

Hiz_95

Well I just got finished with my first-ever "lifting session" (or whatever the hell you wanna call it) and it could have gone better. Things started out okay. I'm following Jason Blaha's Ice Cream Fitness 5x5 routine, and I was able to get through the squats, bench press, barbell shrugs, and tricep extensions well enough (I don't think I did the bent over row correctly), but when it came time to do barbell curls, I completely blew it. I'm supposed to do three sets of eight; I couldn't even get past four in each set with no weights. Man, I knew I was weak, but that shit was just discouraging. After trying and failing at the curls a few more times, I ended up leaving the gym without completing the last two exercises for the first day (though that was partially because I couldn't find the machines for them in my gym - lol).

Do you guys have any advice on how to approach barbell curls in the future? Would just doing as many of them as I can (even if I can't finish the set) be my best course of action for right now? Or should I substitute them with a different exercise until I'm strong enough? I don't plan on leaving early again if I can't complete them next time. I think I just got frustrated and kind of embarrassed since this was my first time trying weights.

EDIT: On a more positive note, my arms are like jello and it feels great.

Don't worry about it, since this was your first time lifting it won't take you very long to get to 3*8 from 3*4, a few weeks at most. Just try and add a rep to each set every time you train and when you get to 3*8 you can just follow the program as instructed.

sphinx

the piano man
thanks Vince ;)

sorry, that was horribly explained.

I meant that I don't want to post anymore in a fitness related thread that isn't this one.

you mean the fitness progress and the nutrition threads?

I know discussion can get down the shitter sometimes but if I'll get a bit of knowledge out of those, I will support them.

by the way, don't let other people's comments in the progress thread get to you. when you were at your heaviest you were pulling numbers some glamour douchebags will only dream of.

Zoe

This is basically my policy. If the OP cannot find the central nexus of this knowledge in the community section and instead makes their own OT thread about programming, inspiration, diet or anything along those lines it is basically a waste of time to participate.

At the very least they are dumb enough to think they are special and deserve their own thread, at the worst it is just one of many examples of a pattern of unhealthy "interaction" where they exhibit this vexing desire to express/assert themselves but are not interested in a dialog.

Except in the past that is what mods have said people should do rather than getting buried in massive OT's.

Pete Rock

Except in the past that is what mods have said people should do rather than getting buried in massive OT's.
Well then that certainly wouldn't be the first time I find myself diametrically opposed to authority figures. RTFM or sit and spin, the choice is certainly yours, but I personally have no time for the junior jumbler.

thanks Vince ;)

you mean the fitness progress and the nutrition threads?

I know discussion can get down the shitter sometimes but if I'll get a bit of knowledge out of those, I will support them.

by the way, don't let other people's comments in the progress thread get to you. when you were at your heaviest you were pulling numbers some glamour douchebags will only dream of.

hmm? I was talking more of that one thread about puking after a workout. There is just too much for me to respond to so I just won't.

And what comments in the progress thread? I haven't really seen any that were actually towards me.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Called and spoke with a rep. Like I suspected she recommended a medium. Good to go! Now let the long 6 weeks begin...

SeanR1221

well, there was a huge explosion around the building in my gym and everybody was evacuated, I was late so I arrived when people weren't even allowed to get in, I was so pumped :/

selfie time, from my last days in Germany some days ago.

nov2014_zps4889578e.jpg

considering how problematic has been my fitness life lately, I'll take that.

easily the best period in my Fitness life, when I had nothing to do but hit the gym. I don't miss it though, I like using money lol

Lookin good brother.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I finally finished reading through Convict Conditioning, and it certainly has me considering dumping the weights and going full time to calisthenics. I know the back story to the book is most likely fiction, but the training philosophy and progression steps seem sound. Honestly, the argument that basically asks "If you can't even effectively manipulate the weight of your own body, then what business do you have loading up external weights?" kind of resonates with me.

I certainly won't drop the gym membership, but I have a long business trip coming up, which will require me to be absent from the gym anyway, so I think I'm going to give this calisthenics thing a serious go for a little while and see how it goes.

I certainly won't drop the gym membership, but I have a long business trip coming up, which will require me to be absent from the gym anyway, so I think I'm going to give this calisthenics thing a serious go for a little while and see how it goes.

I must say, I've always been massively impressed by what the hardcore calisthenics guys can do. Sometimes it seems like they're breaking physics.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I must say, I've always been massively impressed by what the hardcore calisthenics guys can do. Sometimes it seems like they're breaking physics.

Seriously. Being able to do a handstand pushup with even both arms would be an incredible personal achievement. I can't even do a normal handstand at the moment.

RoeBear

Got upset cause I was doing some low squats yesterday after a hamstring workout. Some guys clearly saw me doing them in between me going to lying hamstring curls. Took my rack so they could do some really disgusting hang cleans... It was 1 a.m. I was the only other person on one of 3 squat racks. Had to take another rack, a small inconvenience that made me angrier than it should have.

Got upset cause I was doing some low squats yesterday after a hamstring workout. Some guys clearly saw me doing them in between me going to lying hamstring curls. Took my rack so they could do some really disgusting hang cleans... It was 1 a.m. I was the only other person on one of 3 squat racks. Had to take another rack, a small inconvenience that made me angrier than it should have.
I wouldve raised hell....at least go up to the dude and saw "I was actually on that rack. You can work in if you like"

sphinx

the piano man
Lookin good brother.

thanks man, I hope I can get some decent before/after comparisons at the end of my stay in Mexico and put them in cooter's thread.

I finally finished reading through Convict Conditioning, and it certainly has me considering dumping the weights and going full time to calisthenics.

I really miss my calisthenics stuff, It was mainly handstand pushups and pistol squats, which I have negelcted in favor of more gym-like exercises but they were loads of fun.

the freedom, the feeling of not having to rely on some weird ass machine is really great.

Sadetar

Ugh. The weight is going down nicely, but my weights at the gym haven't increased at all and with some moves they have actually gone down a bit. I am also thinking I might be eating a bit too little and I am definitely not sleeping enough. I should learn to go to bed earlier and I need to order more Quest bars soon...

Today has for some reason been one of those days when everything feels just like "meh" and I have been also cranky as hell with no proper reason. Oh well, tomorrow is a new day... I think I might be hitting my new low and go to restaurant to eat on my own. :p

Also today I have been very unsatisfied with my body. Now when I work out I pay more attention to what I look like and I am even more aware of all the extra fat that I have. Not a nice feeling.

Oh yeah, sorry for being a whiney crybaby. It will go away hopefully when I eat - I might be the only one that becomes an epic bitch when hungry and in pain.

Oh, join the club. I feel you there. I have been upset by every little thing today that normally wouldn't bother me at all.

I don't know what the hell I did, but i feel like my si joint dysfunction is so minimal that it's seemingly non exitent right now. Haven't felt this good in I don't know how long. I was supposed to deadlift today, but I'll probably do it in the morning. Even still, I'm going to take it slow because I'd be sad to feel that ache come back with a vengeance. I think I'm gonna make it brahs.
That is awesome to hear cutie! Like you said, just take it easy. I did the mistake that I was feeling alright for quite some time and was stupid enough to do very low squats against my physiotherapist's advices. Now I have that annoying nerve pain again in my leg and I am just waiting it to go away. Sucks. So yeah, just be careful.

I do!

And half boat pose as well as I can.
Attagirl. You are definitely on the right tracks. Just keep going, have patience and have fun!

Sphinx, looking good there!

Longggg way to go with my body :(
Well, you already have nice shoulders and a good base to work on. Also like Cranky said, in that last photo it is quite easy to imagine what you will look out after a cut. Godspeed.

ILoveBish

Stealth brag that you have 3 squat racks. Jk but I've yet to have that happen, every gym I go to has 1 cage and 1 rack. It's awful and even at 1-2 am I still have to wait for them usually.

OG Kush

Doing GSLP, hit my first reset at 80kgs (176lbs) and for some reason i've just lost hope for squats for some reason, "depressed" about my squats. I feel theres so much to work on with me when it comes to squats such as my depth and my lower back strength. I'm 5'8 61kgs (135lbs) so not the biggest guy but when I see my friends squatting 100 kg and shit I just feel weak and small. Not to mention the fact i've been going gym for a bit over 2 years now and I'm only at about 78kg x 5 on squats (first 18 months I didn't know jack shit about nutrition and training, starved myself, over trained etc)

Ah well one of those days, just got to keep at it.

Doing GSLP, hit my first reset at 80kgs (176lbs) and for some reason i've just lost hope for squats for some reason, "depressed" about my squats. I feel theres so much to work on with me when it comes to squats such as my depth and my lower back strength. I'm 5'8 61kgs (135lbs) so not the biggest guy but when I see my friends squatting 100 kg and shit I just feel weak and small. Not to mention the fact i've been going gym for a bit over 2 years now and I'm only at about 78kg x 5 on squats (first 18 months I didn't know jack shit about nutrition and training, starved myself, over trained etc)

Ah well one of those days, just got to keep at it.

Eat eat and eat some more. You'll break through...

MrMuscle

Ugh. The weight is going down nicely, but my weights at the gym haven't increased at all and with some moves they have actually gone down a bit. I am also thinking I might be eating a bit too little and I am definitely not sleeping enough. I should learn to go to bed earlier and I need to order more Quest bars soon...

Grats on the weight loss! But not increasing your poundage is to be expected though. Its hard to reduce bodyweight and increase strength at the same time. For that to happen everything has to be 100% on point, and if you are under eating and not getting enough rest then you are just making it extra hard for yourself!

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Since I'm doing a full body routine there are few muscles I didn't work yesterday. Maybe calves and abs plus cardio would be good, but I really feel in the mood for deadlifting, squatting and bench pressing today.

Depends how much you deadlift. I'm paraphrasing what I think Cooter said, knows a lot about lifting as many others here, and it depends how much you deadlift. If its light weight that doesn't put too much strain on you, go for it. If you're trying to reach your maximum potential, do it once a week. Either way, you seem to have a very good grasp on what you need to do.

I need halp again, I worked out for 5 days this week and wanna include a sixth so I can lift again during the week. Should I rest for two days and keep it to 5?

Last thing, I try to take 175-200 grams of protein a day (since I'm trying to burn some fat, pretty big guy) on my workout days, but should I also take that same amount of protein on my off-days too? I know I go down a bit in calories but should I with protein too or just do 175-200 grams of protein everyday?

Bowser

Depends how much you deadlift. I'm paraphrasing what I think Cooter said, knows a lot about lifting as many others here, and it depends how much you deadlift. If its light weight that doesn't put too much strain on you, go for it. If you're trying to reach your maximum potential, do it once a week. Either way, you seem to have a very good grasp on what you need to do.

I need halp again, I worked out for 5 days this week and wanna include a sixth so I can lift again during the week. Should I rest for two days and keep it to 5?

Last thing, I try to take 175-200 grams of protein a day (since I'm trying to burn some fat, pretty big guy) on my workout days, but should I also take that same amount of protein on my off-days too? I know I go down a bit in calories but should I with protein too or just do 175-200 grams of protein everyday?

Not sure about your first question, but my inclination is for you to just take 2 rest days. Maybe do some light stuff like aerobics or accessory work, but generally speaking when you wanna lift heavy, less is more.

As for the 2nd part, I always aim to keep my protein intake static and play with my carbs and fat when it comes to macros for lift vs rest days.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Not sure about your first question, but my inclination is for you to just take 2 rest days. Maybe do some light stuff like aerobics or accessory work, but generally speaking when you wanna lift heavy, less is more.

As for the 2nd part, I always aim to keep my protein intake static and play with my carbs and fat when it comes to macros for lift vs rest days.

Excellent bowser, thanks for the help, I'll rest easy for two days. I'll take in less carbs/fats then by a bit.

Edit:

I hate it when I freestyle my eats while keeping track of intake and I always go under -_-

Didn't use my new belt since its still not broken in...probably won't use it until my 1s week on my 5/3/1. I did use my new rehband knee sleeves and they feel sooooo warm

RoeBear

I wouldve raised hell....at least go up to the dude and saw "I was actually on that rack. You can work in if you like"

Oh, join the club. I feel you there. I have been upset by every little thing today that normally wouldn't bother me at all.

Yeah, pretty upsetting but at the end of a workout I don't have the energy to deal with crossfitters.

Hope it gets better Sadetar ;)

Stealth brag that you have 3 squat racks. Jk but I've yet to have that happen, every gym I go to has 1 cage and 1 rack. It's awful and even at 1-2 am I still have to wait for them usually.
Yeah only one gym I've gone to only has 2 places for squats. That sucks that you have to wait for a rack that late. Hopefully they're doing something that actually requires the rack lol.

Piecake

My knee is a bit sore from squats (i think). I think I am going deep enough, at least to reduce the pressure on my knees (flexibility is still an issue with me), but one thing that I am not consistently doing is that my knees aren't tracking my feet all the time. I have a feeling that that is causing my knee soreness since I can imagine that the knee taking an inward path with a lot of weight sitting on top of it is not good for it. Is my guess right?

I really don't want to stop doing it since my right knee isnt the strongest considering that I tore it open when I was 10. I don't think there was any ligament damage, just stitches, but that is always the knee that got sore first.

Ultimatum

Banned
My knee is a bit sore from squats (i think). I think I am going deep enough, at least to reduce the pressure on my knees (flexibility is still an issue with me), but one thing that I am not consistently doing is that my knees aren't tracking my feet all the time. I have a feeling that that is causing my knee soreness since I can imagine that the knee taking an inward path with a lot of weight sitting on top of it is not good for it. Is my guess right?

I really don't want to stop doing it since my right knee isnt the strongest considering that I tore it open when I was 10. I don't think there was any ligament damage, just stitches, but that is always the knee that got sore first.

do you mean your knees bend inwards like this?

\ \ / /
/ / \ \

that's really bad as far as I know, try to keep pushing them out

although the pain could be normal, squats work the muscles around your knees a lot

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Knees caving inwards is definitely not good. It happens when the weight is too heavy and really puts undesired pressure on your knees. A little bit may be OK, but if you find it happening a lot, it may be best to not count those reps and drop the weight a bit until you can handle it.

Piecake

do you mean your knees bend inwards like this?

\ \ / /
/ / \ \

that's really bad as far as I know, try to keep pushing them out

although the pain could be normal, squats work the muscles around your knees a lot

Yea, luckily the weight isnt a whole lot since i just started, but I really need to fix that ASAP. I can do it, but I am just thinking about a whole lot of other things since the squat is rather complicated.

Yea, luckily the weight isnt a whole lot since i just started, but I really need to fix that ASAP. I can do it, but I am just thinking about a whole lot of other things since the squat is rather complicated.

Pointing your feet slightly outward may help open up your hips and prevent your knees from caving in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom