• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piecake

Pointing your feet slightly outward may help open up your hips and prevent your knees from caving in

Oh, I already do that. I dont think I could squat if I didnt, lol. I just need to remind myself to keep those knees out until it becomes natural. But yea, was just trying to confirm if that is the major problem and it seems to be the case

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, I already do that. I dont think I could squat if I didnt, lol. I just need to remind myself to keep those knees out until it becomes natural. But yea, was just trying to confirm if that is the major problem and it seems to be the case

Honing in technique with lots of slow bodyweight squats will help. You can also stretch by getting into the squat position and using your elbows to push your legs as much as you can.

Leeness

Ugh. The weight is going down nicely, but my weights at the gym haven't increased at all and with some moves they have actually gone down a bit. I am also thinking I might be eating a bit too little and I am definitely not sleeping enough. I should learn to go to bed earlier and I need to order more Quest bars soon...

Today has for some reason been one of those days when everything feels just like "meh" and I have been also cranky as hell with no proper reason. Oh well, tomorrow is a new day... I think I might be hitting my new low and go to restaurant to eat on my own. :p

Also today I have been very unsatisfied with my body. Now when I work out I pay more attention to what I look like and I am even more aware of all the extra fat that I have. Not a nice feeling.

Oh yeah, sorry for being a whiney crybaby. It will go away hopefully when I eat - I might be the only one that becomes an epic bitch when hungry and in pain.

Attagirl. You are definitely on the right tracks. Just keep going, have patience and have fun!.

I'm feeling whiney crybaby too today. I feel like I'm coming down with a cold and working out made me feel so gross. Breathing in kind of felt like breathing in chlorine? And then it made me nauseous as fuck. I don't think I'll have dinner tonight... Thought of it is making me sick.

Just bought the Valor Fitness BD-7 power rack and now I want to find a good 300lb olympic barbell set. Should I try to hunt one down on craigslist? Or is there somewhere online or offline you can recommend that won't break the bank?

- KJ

Seriously. Being able to do a handstand pushup with even both arms would be an incredible personal achievement. I can't even do a normal handstand at the moment.
Take a look at this motherfucker. I work and occasionally train with this animal; this is some of his tamer shit.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10204085521646018
He trains calisthenics all the time, then will go in the gym and press 365 decline, while I'm still struggling with the 200s. He inspires me though; very passionate about what he does.

Stealth brag that you have 3 squat racks. Jk but I've yet to have that happen, every gym I go to has 1 cage and 1 rack. It's awful and even at 1-2 am I still have to wait for them usually.

Some times I feel spoiled by the fact that mine has 4. You can see 3 in this pic and there's one more just to the left of the pic

NFmpliLl.jpg

Chocobro

Some times I feel spoiled by the fact that mine has 4. You can see 3 in this pic and there's one more just to the left of the pic

Ah lucky...my university's gym only has 3, but the gym near my home that I want to go to has 6 power racks. Three on the second floor and three more in the basement. Too bad the gym membership is $65/month with a $20 registration fee.

Yea, luckily the weight isnt a whole lot since i just started, but I really need to fix that ASAP. I can do it, but I am just thinking about a whole lot of other things since the squat is rather complicated.

what weight you are squatting? it is probably too much currently and you should go down a bit.

Piecake

what weight you are squatting? it is probably too much currently and you should go down a bit.

115lbs 3x5. I could definitely do more, but I am taking it up slow. I don't think the weight is caving my knees in, I think my shitty flexibilty and movement does that if I am not paying attention.

Chocobro

115lbs 3x5. I could definitely do more, but I am taking it up slow. I don't think the weight is caving my knees in, I think my shitty flexibilty and movement does that if I am not paying attention.
See if taking a slightly more narrow stance or have your toes not pointed out as much will help. Those are two suggestions CanditoTrainingHQ made in one of his videos (I'll have to double check in the morning). I'm working on the former while I'm working my way back to my previous working weight.

Before, for me the "pushing out your knees" cue would result in knee pain. I had my knees cave in a bit on the ascent at weight X, but once I got stronger, the knees caving in didn't occur at weight X. I had no knee pain so I just stuck with it.

Gonna go squat and bb row with 3 hours sleep...

Sometimes the days I'm most tired I go with the mindset of just doing some light work or improving my form a bit, but once I'm at the gym and feel the adrenaline rush after warmup I break my numbers. And other times when I'm well rested I get lazy at the gym and take my sweet ass time for everything. The mind is weird.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

It's pretty much definitely the weight unless your knees still cave in when doing a body weight squat. Then it's just flexibility. If it's flexibility, you shouldn't be loading the bar in the first place. Just my two cents.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Yep, you should immediately deload to the point where your knees no longer cave in and then just work on 100% strict form with increases of reps per set and not weight, until you improve flexibility and become rock solid, then you'll be okay to slowly increase weight. Form is not optional. Don't force it. Progress comes from many different angles, not just weight on the bar.

ILoveBish

Yeah only one gym I've gone to only has 2 places for squats. That sucks that you have to wait for a rack that late. Hopefully they're doing something that actually requires the rack lol.

You wish they were.

NFmpliLl.jpg

You sons of biscuits.

Also evilore looking good in the new avatar.

Pathos

Banned
Yep, you should immediately deload to the point where your knees no longer cave in and then just work on 100% strict form with increases of reps per set and not weight, until you improve flexibility and become rock solid, then you'll be okay to slowly increase weight. Form is not optional. Don't force it. Progress comes from many different angles, not just weight on the bar.
Yeah, this. I've had to deload before because of shaky knees and I am glad I did. It'll save your knees if you deload, practice form and work yourself back up.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I tried actual deadlifts today which I haven't done in a long ass time (I have been doing some rack pulls lately). I should have taken video at lighter weight to see the obvious form problems before going any heavier, but I was being dumb. Tweaked my sacroiliac on the descent of the last rep (all the descents felt awful, have to descent slow because of my flooring/padding).

Anyways here's the bid. It looks like I'm not "finishing" at the top but that's because of my failing double overhand grip, not the heaviness of the weight. Make fun of my terrible form and minor injury, a/o give advice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RI2Xgl0q7VM

Go_Ly_Dow

My hometown gym has 1 squat rack.

Its the only gym in town and they charge £38 a month for membership. ($64)

Personally think its a bit of a joke. The gym in my college town has two and is less than half the price.

ILoveBish

Haven't been to the gym in a week, started eating badly tonight, been such a busy week. Almost done. Look in mirror after shower and think "I might be more muscular then I ever wanted to be in the first place". Mirin but can't wait to get back on track. Buying 40lbs of chicken thighs sunday along with 20lbs of spinach.

ldcommando

Banned
Haven't been to the gym in a week, started eating badly tonight, been such a busy week. Almost done. Look in mirror after shower and think "I might be more muscular then I ever wanted to be in the first place". Mirin but can't wait to get back on track. Buying 40lbs of chicken thighs sunday along with 20lbs of spinach.

Kind of jealous of all that fridge space you have. Cant buy that much meat at once because I dont have where to keep it.

Faiz

Just bought the Valor Fitness BD-7 power rack and now I want to find a good 300lb olympic barbell set. Should I try to hunt one down on craigslist? Or is there somewhere online or offline you can recommend that won't break the bank?

- KJ

"Break the bank" is gonna be variable. But I'll say this, a bar is not the place to skimp. Plates you can be cheap with, but don't be cheap with a bar. Expect to spend in the $250-$300 range for a decent one.

When it comes to cable crossover how much difference is there between the different angles? At the moment i haven't really tried the incline or decline ones, not sure if it's really worth worrying about.

GabDX

Banned
I finally finished reading through Convict Conditioning, and it certainly has me considering dumping the weights and going full time to calisthenics. I know the back story to the book is most likely fiction, but the training philosophy and progression steps seem sound. Honestly, the argument that basically asks "If you can't even effectively manipulate the weight of your own body, then what business do you have loading up external weights?" kind of resonates with me.

I certainly won't drop the gym membership, but I have a long business trip coming up, which will require me to be absent from the gym anyway, so I think I'm going to give this calisthenics thing a serious go for a little while and see how it goes.

I'm following this program and it's a lot of fun. From what I've read and from my own experience, you should also do dips and inverted rows.

Pete Rock

Ughhhh these are the best goddamn things, I wish my gym wasn't built in 1963 with a retrofitted weight room from 1982, this is some bullshit.

Much like others, my gym situation is 1 cage and 1 open rack. Since they replaced the old cable station, there is now only one straight bar to do legit dead-hang pull ups/chin ups on and it is in the front of the cage.

Last night dudebro was doing 175 lb overhead squats out the front of the cage. He would pick it up in high bar squat position, duck underneath it and raise it up, then squat and bring it back up before dropping it to the ground. Then he would powerclean it back up and put it back on the front rack pins.

He did 1 set of this every 5 minutes and was literally there for 50 minutes and I could not work in chin ups and I had to do them on the weird ass fucking squiggly bar. Ughhhhh

Also there is one bench out of three that has face-savers, so I can use it without a spotter. So it is the only one I can use.

The cages in your images are like quadruple function - you can do chin/pull-ups on them, you can squat on them with adjustable safety bar positions, you can deadlift and powerclean on the front area with the rubber pads on the side AND you can bench heavy off the "back" side with the bench right there.

Long story short yes you should feel spoiled! Probably got a bunch of legit bumper plates all over that shit too and I am stuck with rusty hex plates :::(

The cages in your images are like quadruple function - you can do chin/pull-ups on them, you can squat on them with adjustable safety bar positions, you can deadlift and powerclean on the front area with the rubber pads on the side AND you can bench heavy off the "back" side with the bench right there.

That's the sort I'm buying for my home gym. Really good use of space.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Take a look at this motherfucker. I work and occasionally train with this animal; this is some of his tamer shit.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10204085521646018
He trains calisthenics all the time, then will go in the gym and press 365 decline, while I'm still struggling with the 200s. He inspires me though; very passionate about what he does.

The link isn't working (maybe it's private?), but I'll take your word for it. People who are really good at calisthenics make it look like magic.

It does seem like the strength definitely translates to weight training (to an extent) like your example with the 365 lb. press.

My best bench (5 rep max) is only 145 lbs. Squat (5 rep max) is only 215 lbs. Overhead Press (5 rep max) is 105 lbs. and Deadlift (5 rep max) is only 245 lbs. so it's not like I'm doing anything crazy when it comes to weights. Considering I weigh around 175 lbs. right now, I imagine by the time I can master a single arm pushup, my strength will have increased a ton and that will translate to barbell work, too. I may be wrong, but if nothing else, I won't have to worry about injuring myself nearly as much.

I certainly don't plan on quitting the gym yet, but am excited to see if I can make some good progress doing body weight stuff. I never really thought of it before, but mastering your own body weight before moving onto external weights does come across as very intuitive to me.

I'm following this program and it's a lot of fun. From what I've read and from my own experience, you should also do dips and inverted rows.

Yeah, I like doing dips, so I'll incorporate them. They just feel cool as hell. What do you think you gain from inverted rows that you aren't getting more of from standard pull ups?

Piecake

alright, I think I will practice more with just the bar and then deload to make sure that my knees are properly in-line with my feet. I was a bit resistant at it at first because I feel that if I just remind myself to do it I can consistently do it, but it is pretty stupid to prioritize pride over the long-term health of your knees. And it is a lot easier to work on proper form with weight that takes no effort than weight that takes a decent amount.

I think my problem was that I was just trying to fix every little thing at once and didnt really get anything solidly perfect. So when I went to focusing on depth or a straight back I forgot about going with the hips first and making sure the knees were over my feet. I think solely focus on getting my knees in proper position and get that down pat because that definitely seems like the aspect that, if done wrong, can fuck me up the most.

Oh, and my gym has like 5 power racks and like 10 different spots to deadlift, OHP, etc. I've never waited for someone to finish. Its awesome

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
it is pretty stupid to prioritize pride over the long-term health of your knees.

It really is, and it's exactly why so many people injure themselves lifting weights. They don't want to look weak or something and end up fucking their bodies up and never even lifting anything impressive anyway.

God damn leg day kills me. I only have to do a few reps and my heart is right up into the 170s. Going to go and sit under a cold shower. lol

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
God damn leg day kills me. I only have to do a few reps and my heart is right up into the 170s. Going to go and sit under a cold shower. lol

I sweat and breath heavily but god damn, 170 is scary. I know the pain too, my arms from doing negatives on pull ups are still recovering.

Ashodin

This is gud advice

GabDX

Banned
Yeah, I like doing dips, so I'll incorporate them. They just feel cool as hell. What do you think you gain from inverted rows that you aren't getting more of from standard pull ups?

I just wanted to have a pulling and pushing exercise up, down and horizontally.

Push, up: handstands
Push, horizontal: push-ups
Push, down: dips

Pull, up: pull ups
Pull, horizontal: inverted rows
Pull, down: Whenever I do the groceries, I don't use a cart but instead I carry everything in two large shopping bags. I eat a lot so they get pretty heavy. Not a bodyweight exercise but oh well.

Piecake

So, with my sore knee, should I take a few days off and wait until it is feeling better or get in there and just focus on proper technique with the squat. I would prefer to go since that will make it harder to keep going with the habit again, but if I don't do squats or any leg exercises that just leaves a press, which really isnt worth it...

Bowser

More like just EC, no need for the A:

Lyle McDonald said:
Note that some studies suggested the addition of aspirin (making it an ECA stack) would improve the effect. But this was only shown for obese individuals and taking 300 mg of aspirin three times per day is a good way to burn a hole in your stomach/get an ulcer. Whether lower doses of aspirin (say the 81 mg children’s size) would have the same effect is unknown.

CrankyJay

Banned
So, with my sore knee, should I take a few days off and wait until it is feeling better or get in there and just focus on proper technique with the squat. I would prefer to go since that will make it harder to keep going with the habit again, but if I don't do squats or any leg exercises that just leaves a press, which really isnt worth it...

I'm doing press because it's better than nothing and taking a break from squats since my lower back has been stiff. Going to need to take Evilore's advice of tearing it all down and adding reps instead of weight.

The link isn't working (maybe it's private?), but I'll take your word for it. People who are really good at calisthenics make it look like magic.

It does seem like the strength definitely translates to weight training (to an extent) like your example with the 365 lb. press.

Yeah, that was a bad link. Here's something from his YouTube channel. He does muscle ups as effortless as anyone I've seen.
http://youtu.be/adL9KD2ayVg
I've done calisthenics most of my life. I didn't start lifting weights until very recently. Body weight definitely has it's place in developing strength. I even get a different pump from calisthenics than from lifting. I like the combination of the two, but I don't get too crazy or else my lifts suffer sometimes.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Yeah, that was a bad link. Here's something from his YouTube channel. He does muscle ups as effortless as anyone I've seen.
I've done calisthenics most of my life. I didn't start lifting weights until very recently. Body weight definitely has it's place in developing strength. I even get a different pump from calisthenics than from lifting. I like the combination of the two, but I don't get too crazy or else my lifts suffer sometimes.

I'm pretty sure I can do all that with about 3 months of training. I just can't bring myself to abandon weights. I love them too much!

I'm pretty sure I can do all that with about 3 months of training. I just can't bring myself to abandon weights. I love them too much!
Yeah, at this point in my life weights are priority. He helps me out with the muscle ups and handstand advice, but this dude is an adrenaline junkie. He does handstands on crazy shit, at crazy heights, on a whim. His balance is unreal though.
http://youtu.be/zwJvUJOrYuI
I'm a little too old to try some of that crazy shit though; can't afford to hurt myself at 45, I might never get it back!

Sadetar

Ah, today was way better than yesterday. The nerve pain seems to be mostly gone and I slept and ate more. :D I had a small cheat day today as well, since I went to capital city and my friend gave me a small piece of her pizza (just rucola and parmesan cheese on a thin bottom). I was also hopeful I would find some new clothes, but surprisingly enough I didn't. I kinda need to buy myself at least a new jacket and new dresses / tops at some point, since every damn thing I own at the moment is just huge (not that I would be whining about it, on the contrary). :D

Umm, so selfie Sunday. Finally I am wearing something somewhat fitting in a photo. (I didn't buy that knitwear though, since I decided that turtle neck and butterflies just aren't my thing.) Still a long way to go, but at least I am working on it. :)
neule1.jpg

Hope it gets better Sadetar ;)
Awww, thanks sweetie, I am feeling a whole lot better! ^_^ Sleeping and eating does miracles. I also had absolutely splendid day today.

EviLore, did you change your avatar? Looking good there cutie.

I'm feeling whiney crybaby too today. I feel like I'm coming down with a cold and working out made me feel so gross. Breathing in kind of felt like breathing in chlorine? And then it made me nauseous as fuck. I don't think I'll have dinner tonight... Thought of it is making me sick.
Yep, we all have that kind of days once in a while. Hopefully you didn't skip your dinner though - that will only make you feel worse. Are you feeling any better? Have you had any proper rest days?

Thank gods it seems I managed to get rid of that nerve pain. I don't deal with pain well at all.

Damn. That kind of body control is extremely sexy. Is it hot in here or is it just me... ;)

Sweetie, yep, you better not change anything. You are adorable and looking extremely edible as you are. :p

I think I might try some of that convict conditioning stuff when I'm away next week. I was going to take some bands but no harm in giving that a go I reckon.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
You're looking dope Sadetar. Stay the course, everything is working for you!

EDIT:

I regret to inform everyone we temporarily lost agrajag today, we wish him the best of luck in his future endeavors.

Sadetar

You're looking dope Sadetar. Stay the course, everything is working for you!
Yay! Thanks darling! ^_^ Very sweet of you to say so.

I also realized that I think I haven't posted the starting point from the side. So yeah, here we go. Left is late January 2014 and right it somewhat early August 2014. Lights, place, clothes and so forth are different, but I am sure you get the general idea what is going on. :D
vertailu_vartalo_sivusta_2014_1_8.jpg

Leeness

Yep, we all have that kind of days once in a while. Hopefully you didn't skip your dinner though - that will only make you feel worse. Are you feeling any better? Have you had any proper rest days?

Thank gods it seems I managed to get rid of that nerve pain. I don't deal with pain well at all.

I skipped dinner and slept at 8:30. ._. Still sick today. Been taking cold meds and no working out again. Bleh.

Glad your nerve pain got better. And you look fucking fabulous. <3

SeanR1221

Pizza, fish and chips, deep fried Reese's, beer...0 fucks given at the beach today.

I also got a print on a tank top that Edge posted here before about eat, train, sleep, repeat

Bowser

Pizza, fish and chips, deep fried Reese's, beer...0 fucks given at the beach today.

I also got a print on a tank top that Edge posted here before about eat, train, sleep, repeat

Nice! Probably way cheaper than my Brock Lesnar(tm) Eat Sleep Conquer Repeat shirt that I got specifically with the gym in mind:

1000x1000.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom