• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matugi

One more week and I'll be able to get back at it, albeit light. I'll give myself a week to readapt/test where I'm at then jump into 5x5. Hopefully it won't take too long to get my lifts back where they were, although teaching myself sumo style deadlift is gonna obviously delay that

SeanR1221

One more week and I'll be able to get back at it, albeit light. I'll give myself a week to readapt/test where I'm at then jump into 5x5. Hopefully it won't take too long to get my lifts back where they were, although teaching myself sumo style deadlift is gonna obviously delay that

Hop on board the light weight train, brother.

The ticket price is just your ego, but it will make its final stop in the land of gains.

Pizza, fish and chips, deep fried Reese's, beer...0 fucks given at the beach today.

I also got a print on a tank top that Edge posted here before about eat, train, sleep, repeat

Swole and swollette

I want this damn shirt
forest_large.jpg

I'm having trouble keeping my shins straight on deadlifts. I find they tend to lean ever so slightly forward, if i force them straight i find my lower back rounds just a little bit. It's not impacting my progress and i've had no back soreness whatsoever but i feel like i should work on it now before the weights get too high.

I'm at least getting out of the squatting position now.

SeanR1221

I'm having trouble keeping my shins straight on deadlifts. I find they tend to lean ever so slightly forward, if i force them straight i find my lower back rounds just a little bit. It's not impacting my progress and i've had no back soreness whatsoever but i feel like i should work on it now before the weights get too high.

I'm at least getting out of the squatting position now.

Post up a video.

J. Bravo

My knees hurt for the first time from squatting. Idk how I'm going to do my workout today. Luckily is the last one of this phase so I'll probably just grind it out.

Bowser

entremet

Pizza, fish and chips, deep fried Reese's, beer...0 fucks given at the beach today.

I also got a print on a tank top that Edge posted here before about eat, train, sleep, repeat

You guys make a cute couple.

Yay! Thanks darling! ^_^ Very sweet of you to say so.

I also realized that I think I haven't posted the starting point from the side. So yeah, here we go. Left is late January 2014 and right it somewhat early August 2014. Lights, place, clothes and so forth are different, but I am sure you get the general idea what is going on. :D
vertailu_vartalo_sivusta_2014_1_8.jpg

Fucking impressive. Congrats.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
I'm pretty sure I can do all that with about 3 months of training. I just can't bring myself to abandon weights. I love them too much!

I always found bodyweight shit I get good at doing them from practice but that's about as far as it goes. I did 40 deadhang pullups months ago at a similar bodyweight and since I quit doing them I barely hit 15. Yet my rowing and back keep getting stronger.

Zero2kz

So, my application to become a resident of Snap City just moved a few extra steps in the approval process.

I tweaked my back about 3 weeks ago doing squats and it was very slowly getting better, but I was feeling good the past few days. Thought it was time to do some lightweight deadlifting, WRONG. On my 8th rep of 225 a shock just shot up and down my body and my lower back instantly tensed up. Now I am sore as fuck again.

TLDR; I am a dumbass

oneHeero

Yay! Thanks darling! ^_^ Very sweet of you to say so.

I also realized that I think I haven't posted the starting point from the side. So yeah, here we go. Left is late January 2014 and right it somewhat early August 2014. Lights, place, clothes and so forth are different, but I am sure you get the general idea what is going on. :D
vertailu_vartalo_sivusta_2014_1_8.jpg
First time poster in this threead but awesome improvement, very motivating. Great work!

Those workout tees people are posting are cool, that triforce one haha

sphinx

the piano man
I want this damn shirt
forest_large.jpg

I absolutely love it, Zelda is my dearest videogame series but I can't forgive that the lack the overhead press.

all things saids, fitness shirts with some message are kind of tacky, I'd use them in he gym and even then...

guys at my gym wear that "you get what you work for, not what you wish for"... and somehow it doesn't resonate with me. Sure, that's a fact, but feels like teenager talk to me.

So, my application to become a resident of Snap City just moved a few extra steps in the approval process.

I tweaked my back about 3 weeks ago doing squats and it was very slowly getting better, but I was feeling good the past few days. Thought it was time to do some lightweight deadlifting, WRONG. On my 8th rep of 225 a shock just shot up and down my body and my lower back instantly tensed up. Now I am sore as fuck again.

TLDR; I am a dumbass

you don't want to go that way, I don't know how long have you been training but some of us have injuries that extend over half a year or more and it's discouraging and depressing.

so I repeat you DO NOT FUCKING WANT to got that path, take 2 weeks rest, whatever it takes until you are certain there's absolutely nothing wrong, otherwise do not do a single rep of an exercise that cause even the slightest pain.

Zero2kz

you don't want to go that way, I don't know how long have you been training but some of us have injuries that extend over half a year or more and it's discouraging and depressing.

so I repeat you DO NOT FUCKING WANT to got that path, take 2 weeks rest, whatever it takes until you are certain there's absolutely nothing wrong, otherwise do not do a single rep of an exercise that cause even the slightest pain.

I have been training seriously for about a year and a half. Been all good up until recently, where I have been getting injured a few times.

I am really considering taking a minimum month off the gym and just stick to yoga and cardio in the mean time. Just completely reset.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Alright guys... I think I'm gonna try to become a regular in here and get some help. Sorry but this post is going to be kinda long, but I greatly appreciate any input you guys may have in any aspect of this!

I've decided that I actually need to get in shape. I've tapdanced around it for awhile, but I've got a few things going on here:
  • Need a better job
  • Need to increase the quality of women I'm dating (not saying that women won't date fat guys, but cool women clearly want someone who cares about themselves, I think)
  • Need to not die in 15 years. I turn 31 at the end of the month with a family history of diabetes and heart problems. I'm also single and would like to know that if I do decide to have kids, I'll be around to see them into college.
All of these things are done more easily if I'm in shape.

So anyways, I know that calorie control is going to be a big thing. I'm 6'2" and about 280 and have a pretty big bone structure. (When I was in the best shape of my life, I was 210 and still had a 54" chest.) So I'm not looking to get ripped. But I do know that I need to drop weight while I'm lifting. I also really don't pay any attention right now to what I eat, except that over the last 6 weeks I've cut out all caffeine so that I can now cut out pop more easily.

The last time I lost weight I did it with a heavy protein diet, just pounding tons of protein five or six times a day and eating hardly any carbs. However, I was 18 when I did that, haha, and I'm told that this stuff is WAY different at 30 than at 18.

• Do you guys recommend an 1800 calorie diet or 2000 calorie/day diet?
  • Do you recommend 3 meals or 6 smaller meals?
  • Protein intake-- yay or nay? Heavy intake? Carbs?
  • My plan is to start with going to the gym 3-4 times a week, and within a couple weeks to get up to 5 times a week. Good idea?
  • I just read yesterday that it's not a good idea to work the same muscle group more than once a week. This seems ridiculous. I've always been taught that as long as you get a couple days break in between your groups, you're good to go 2 or 3 times a week on one group (i.e. chest.) Have you guys heard anything like that?
  • I'm starting with 20 minutes of cardio per session, and increasing it week by week until eventually I'm up to 45 minutes of cardio every time I work out. Good idea? (I want to run my first ever 5k this summer.)

Anyways, I look forward to this challenge, I think. I appreciate any input you guys have and I'll be sure to nag you guys with tons more ridiculous questions. :)

Alright guys... I think I'm gonna try to become a regular in here and get some help. Sorry but this post is going to be kinda long, but I greatly appreciate any input you guys may have in any aspect of this!

I've decided that I actually need to get in shape. I've tapdanced around it for awhile, but I've got a few things going on here:
  • Need a better job
  • Need to increase the quality of women I'm dating (not saying that women won't date fat guys, but cool women clearly want someone who cares about themselves, I think)
  • Need to not die in 15 years. I turn 31 at the end of the month with a family history of diabetes and heart problems. I'm also single and would like to know that if I do decide to have kids, I'll be around to see them into college.
All of these things are done more easily if I'm in shape.

So anyways, I know that calorie control is going to be a big thing. I'm 6'2" and about 280 and have a pretty big bone structure. (When I was in the best shape of my life, I was 210 and still had a 54" chest.) So I'm not looking to get ripped. But I do know that I need to drop weight while I'm lifting. I also really don't pay any attention right now to what I eat, except that over the last 6 weeks I've cut out all caffeine so that I can now cut out pop more easily.

The last time I lost weight I did it with a heavy protein diet, just pounding tons of protein five or six times a day and eating hardly any carbs. However, I was 18 when I did that, haha, and I'm told that this stuff is WAY different at 30 than at 18.

• Do you guys recommend an 1800 calorie diet or 2000 calorie/day diet? Depends on how many pounds you want to lose. Generally on lifting days you need more calories than non lifting/exercise days
  • Do you recommend 3 meals or 6 smaller meals? Doesn't matter as long as you meet your macros and caloric intake
  • Protein intake-- yay or nay? Heavy intake? Carbs?High protein and fat and low carb for losing weight
  • My plan is to start with going to the gym 3-4 times a week, and within a couple weeks to get up to 5 times a week. Good idea? 3-4 should be fine. Maybe one day dedicated to some light HIIT
  • I just read yesterday that it's not a good idea to work the same muscle group more than once a week. This seems ridiculous. I've always been taught that as long as you get a couple days break in between your groups, you're good to go 2 or 3 times a week on one group (i.e. chest.) Have you guys heard anything like that?Doesn't matter as long as you make time for your whole body to recover. The OP program works on a one day on, one day off schedule
  • I'm starting with 20 minutes of cardio per session, and increasing it week by week until eventually I'm up to 45 minutes of cardio every time I work out. Good idea? (I want to run my first ever 5k this summer.)HIIT might be better to increase your conditioning

Anyways, I look forward to this challenge, I think. I appreciate any input you guys have and I'll be sure to nag you guys with tons more ridiculous questions. :)

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.

Awesome! Thanks for the advice! I'll make sure to keep referencing the OP, and I'm investigating HIIT now before I go to the gym.

I really want to run a 5k, just to say I've done it. But maybe I can work in HIIT stuff when I'm not doing distance running, like on off days? I dunno.

I think it's awesome the community you guys have built in here.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Deloaded for deadlifts yesterday. Didn't even do them. Low back is irritated. I did however hit 335x5 on pendlay rows and I surprised myself that I can actually snatch grip shrug 485. It's only for 7 but shit man! that's 5 plate snatch grip shrug.

My row is getting strong as hell.

I always found bodyweight shit I get good at doing them from practice but that's about as far as it goes. I did 40 deadhang pullups months ago at a similar bodyweight and since I quit doing them I barely hit 15. Yet my rowing and back keep getting stronger.

Same, shit, I can't even remember last time I did a pull-up. I really do need to get a pull-up bar installed in my garage.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Awesome! Thanks for the advice! I'll make sure to keep referencing the OP, and I'm investigating HIIT now before I go to the gym.

I really want to run a 5k, just to say I've done it. But maybe I can work in HIIT stuff when I'm not doing distance running, like on off days? I dunno.

I think it's awesome the community you guys have built in here.
It really is. I would strongly encourage you to stay connected with this thread as it does have a direct correlation with your progress. Post accomplishments, questions, or any other fitness related stuff rattling around in that head of yours. Before you know it 2 years will have gone by and you'll look back and the transformation you have made will really hit home. Good luck!

Hey, so I'm looking to gain some weight/muscle. I work out regularly and have been pushing myself a lot better lately, but I'm thin and really have a hard time gaining weight. I'm between 5'7 and 8 and weigh around 130 lbs.

I had gotten a jug of musclemilk gainer powder which was easy to finish but I'm not sure how effective it was. Should I continue with that or are there much better options for powders? I also just got a box of pure protein bars as well.

I don't want to go crazy with gaining weight, but just a little help would be a great improvement I think, so any suggestions are welcome

abuC

All this weight lifting has paid off, been working with a friend that has a delivery business and he's been calling me a lot because of my ability to lift heavy ass dressers, cabinets, couches etc. and it pays incredibly well. So I have a good amount of side money thanks to it.

Felt kind of weird about it today though, this woman was trying to flirt with me while her husband was there. Kept staring at me, and said I looked like someone famous.

Go_Ly_Dow

Hey, so I'm looking to gain some weight/muscle. I work out regularly and have been pushing myself a lot better lately, but I'm thin and really have a hard time gaining weight. I'm between 5'7 and 8 and weigh around 130 lbs.

I had gotten a jug of musclemilk gainer powder which was easy to finish but I'm not sure how effective it was. Should I continue with that or are there much better options for powders? I also just got a box of pure protein bars as well.

I don't want to go crazy with gaining weight, but just a little help would be a great improvement I think, so any suggestions are welcome

Here is the nutrition thread my friend - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=869633

There's a section on weight gain/bulking.

Personally would recommend calorie counting and gradually adding the number of calories you consume each week.

Maybe week 1 start off by adding 200-300 extra calories to your daily intake.

Week 2 - 300-500

Week 3 - 500-700 etc......

Weight gainers can help you achieve that however I personally find it more cost effective to invest a good quality tub of smooth peanut butter, choc whey protein and make choc and peanut butter shakes using milk.

Once your stomach expands and appetite increases I would recommend doing what I do which is consuming something every 3 hours.

9am (breakfast + yoghurt)
12pm (lunch + snack)
3pm (shake)
6pm (dinner+dessert)
9-10pm (shake)

You might struggle to do that at first but once you really get in to the swing of it you will find its pretty easy long as you can prep the food.

Also at 130 pounds would recommend consuming around 90-110grams of protein a day. If you're just starting out then no need to go overboard.

After nearly 3 weeks full of all kinds of sin on my adventureous vacation in Poland whilst visiting my family and acquaintances, Im getting back to the workout schedule again on monday.

I feel that I lost some weight and strength. I feel incredibly weak compared to prior to my departure. Kind of a unfortunate start to my bulk.

Looking forward to a new year of lifting!

I read the first posts, but I'm still somewhat confused - I'm looking for some dietary advice, but I have no plans on lifting for the time being. Is this the right thread?

can anyone recommend me a good dumbbell workout routine?

also is HIIT + dumbbell strength training a good way to cut fat off?

(I'm assuming yes but I thought I'd ask)

edit: When I'm counting calories for home made meals what do I do if nutrition info isn't included? I'm making shrimp stir fry tonight and want to log it on MFP. Is google's general info reliable?

I calculate the ingredients and combine. It's a pain in the arse (which is why if I like something I make sure to note it all down somewhere I can refer to it).

can anyone recommend me a good dumbbell workout routine?

also is HIIT + dumbbell strength training a good way to cut fat off?

(I'm assuming yes but I thought I'd ask)

edit: When I'm counting calories for home made meals what do I do if nutrition info isn't included? I'm making shrimp stir fry tonight and want to log it on MFP. Is google's general info reliable?

I guess doing sport in general is a good way to burn fat. You don't have to stick on hiit and dumbbells purely.
MFPs database is huge. You should easily "recook" your meals but calorie tracking is just a soft guideline to help someone keeping an overview of his intake. That's at least how I see calorie tracking.

I guess doing sport in general is a good way to burn fat. You don't have to stick on hiit and dumbbells purely.
MFPs database is huge. You should easily "recook" your meals but calorie tracking is just a soft guideline to help someone keeping an overview of his intake. That's at least how I see calorie tracking.

thanks. I'm not a huge fan of sports so I'd rather do exercises like this. I'm kind of trying to burn fat but also at the same time maintain, or build a little muscle, which I've heard is kind of complicated. I cut my carb intake to less than 75g the other day, so I'm rolling with that and hopefully I'll see some more pounds come off in the next few weeks, but I still need to find the right exercises to do since I've hit a wall with "normal" cardio for about an hour a day.

SeanR1221

Just came here to post about that thread. I'm not going back. People are treating soda addictions like heroine.

Now now. They just can't help going to the grocery store. And the soda isle. And putting soda in your cart. And scanning it. And paying it. And unbagging it. And drinking it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom