• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanR1221

Petrie, two things I noticed.

On Deads, you're pulling yourself in more, but now going too low. It's hard to tell but I think your shoulders are actually behind the bar now.

On ohp, the bar path looks like it's going back, when it should be close to your body and straight up.

Our on-site blood work that we do counts as a physical. We can do it on-site or offsite with our usual physicians and just send in the results. Then we have to do a survey.

My blood work comparisons compared to last year have drastically improved.

August of last year while on my 8th month of Keto:
Triglycerides: 131 mg/dL
Total Cholesterol 207 mg/dL
HDL 58 mg/dL
LDL: 123 mg/dL
Chol to HDLC Ratio: 3.6
Glucose: 82 mg/dL
Blood Pressure: 116/70
BMI: 29.9
Height: 6'1"
Weight: 227

This year post bulk:
Triglycerides: 61 mg/dL -70 Ridiculous change
Total Cholesterol 166 mg/dL -41
HDL 59 mg/dL +1
LDL: 95 mg/dL -28
Chol to HDLC Ratio: 2.8 -.9
Glucose: 88 mg/dL +6 (Not surprised it went up since I eat more carbs now)
Blood Pressure: 110/60 -6/-10
BMI: 30.2 +.3
Height: 6'0" I apparently shrunk, must have been all the deadlifts
Weight: 223

Any Brits get this sort of stuff done? Seems to be mostly an American sort of thing. I'd never even heard of "blood work" before House.

I'd be interested, but fuck knows how you'd go about it in the UK.

Is there a reason you prefer to do a dumbbell routine over one of the routines in the OP (Starting Strength, Stronglifts 5x5, or Ice Cream Fitness)?

I would like to do SS but I only have Dumbbells at home and I don't go back to school for another month so no gym until then.

I would wait but I want to start now.

Bowser

I would like to do SS but I only have Dumbbells at home and I don't go back to school for another month so no gym until then.

I would wait but I want to start now.

Ah ok. The only thing that looks a bit weird/off to me is "dumbbell deadlifts" - I don't think you can really replicate deadlifting with dumbbells, but if this is a short-term program until you can get real equipment, it should work fine.

Zoe

How many calories do you burn on one hour doing cross fit?

How many calories burned also for trail hiking?

Depends on your exertion and body composition. If you really want to track it, get a heart rate monitor. If you just want an estimate, take an average of your heart rate throughout the session and plug it into a calculator.

paolo11

Depends on your exertion and body composition. If you really want to track it, get a heart rate monitor. If you just want an estimate, take an average of your heart rate throughout the session and plug it into a calculator.

I got no heart rate monitor but I always do my best doing cross fit. I sweat a lot.

What's the estimate on that?

Bowser

I got no heart rate monitor but I always do my best doing cross fit. I sweat a lot.

What's the estimate on that?

Don't really think you can get a decent estimate. I've read (can't quite remember where, maybe www.bodyrecomposition.com) that heavy weight workouts burn around 4 cal per minute while cardio/HIIT burns ~6 cal per minute. I guess you can try to estimate depending on if it was more of a CrossFit workout incorporating olympic lifts or more of a bodyweight workout. Or you could use a blend of 5 cal per minute and come up with roughly 300 calories burned in an hour (although likely less since you probably weren't exercising for 60 straight minutes, so maybe closer to 250-275).

Ah ok. The only thing that looks a bit weird/off to me is "dumbbell deadlifts" - I don't think you can really replicate deadlifting with dumbbells, but if this is a short-term program until you can get real equipment, it should work fine.

ok thanks. I'm gonna do this and maybe 10 - 20 mins of HIIT (I'm not sure of a good workout time for this) for the next few weeks to try and take off some more weight and then jump into SS when I get to a real gym.

paolo11

Don't really think you can get a decent estimate. I've read (can't quite remember where, maybe www.bodyrecomposition.com) that heavy weight workouts burn around 4 cal per minute while cardio/HIIT burns ~6 cal per minute. I guess you can try to estimate depending on if it was more of a CrossFit workout incorporating olympic lifts or more of a bodyweight workout. Or you could use a blend of 5 cal per minute and come up with roughly 300 calories burned in an hour.

The crossfit workouts normally consist of these:

Chin ups
Medicine ball slams push up.
Kettle Bell Swings
Front Squats
Box jumps
Sled push Pull
TRX Pike
etc.

These are body workouts, no?

Sadetar

I almost missed your post. Nice progress pic.
Yay! Thanks honey! :D

Deadlifts are killer though. In my opinion it's a tie between that and the squat in terms of sucking all the energy out of you
I hate squats. Seriously, I do them with just a bar that weights basicly nothing (because of my back problems) and yet I think they are the main thing that is killing me at the gym. But damn I want that killer ass, so I better just stick with them. :p

Went to HQ pool party in AC on Saturday and some random dude just comes up to me and says "Aesthics, Zyzz, you are aesthetic. Do you know Zyzz? you remind me of Zyzz" I guess I have a European look to me and I spike my hair and wear a satchel at pool parties. Still made my day.
Hahah, there is something wrong in the world at the moment - even I regognized the name Zyzz. This leads to the next point that after telling us that, you kinda need to post a picture of you with spiked hair wearing a satchel. ;)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
This leads to the next point that after telling us that, you kinda need to post a picture of you with spiked hair wearing a satchel. ;)

I swear Sadetar, you have the perfect avatar for some of your posts :D

Bowser

The crossfit workouts normally consist of these:

Chin ups
Medicine ball slams push up.
Kettle Bell Swings
Front Squats
Box jumps
Sled push Pull
TRX Pike
etc.

These are body workouts, no?

Yeah, I'd categorize them as bodyweight workouts (even tho you are using some weight with the kettlebells and sleds).

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Doing crazy hi pull ups today and giving muscle ups rest. Guy comes up to me and asks if I can do a muscle up. Ha. I meet so many people at this gym at the pull up bar. It's really in the dozens at this point.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Anyone know a good body weight routine? Going to be in Orlando for 5 months and don't have a car so my nearest gym is 30 mins away and I won't be able to access it. I can already feel my gains slipping away :(.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone know a good body weight routine? Going to be in Orlando for 5 months and don't have a car so my nearest gym is 30 mins away and I won't be able to access it. I can already feel my gains slipping away :(.

I finished reading Convict Conditioning very recently and have been working on the progression routines it lays out daily ever since. There may be a better book on calisthenics out there, I don't know, but I highly recommend giving Convict Conditioning a read and an honest try. I can already tell I've gained real practical strength even in just the last week. I have a long business trip coming up and won't be able to hit the gym, either. I look forward to going back and seeing how I fair with barbell work after a week + break and doing lots of body weight work.

It's only $10 on Kindle and isn't very long. Give it a try, I say!

J. Bravo

10x3 @ 315 was easy. Felt rested with the 8.5 hours of sleep I got. It also probably helped that I was working in with a trainer who was doing the same reps and sets but with 455 lol. Testing my max on Thursday with him and then moving on to the next phase of smolov!

blackflag

May as well continue this trend. I did mine recently too

Last year was on Keto.

Triglycerides: Too low to register
Total Cholesterol 161 mg/dL
HDL 40 mg/dL
LDL: 45 mg/dL
Chol to HDLC Ratio: 4.0
Glucose: Too low to register
Blood Pressure: 112/64
BMI: 26.0
Height: 6'0"
Weight: 197

This year was coming off being lazier....

Triglycerides: 85 mg/dL +85 I have none when I keto?
Total Cholesterol 163 mg/dL +2 about the same
HDL 43 mg/dL +3 about the same
LDL: 103 mg/dL +58 I have none when I keto?
Chol to HDLC Ratio: 3.8 -.2 good
Glucose: 86 mg/dL +86 I had none on keto
Blood Pressure: 118/70 +6/+6 within average means
BMI: 28.3 +2.3
Height: 6'0"
Weight: 209 +12 I put on some weight.

So my takeaway is when I keto, my glucose, triglycerides and LDL all but disappear.

I did Keto for like a year and a half. I have blood tests that show my HDL at 69 and my total cholesterol at 103.

Zoe

It really sucks when all of the benches are taken up by people spending over 15 minutes on their sets. I was hoping to squeeze everything in before having
Brazilian barbecue for
dinner :(

Leeness

You might seriously need the rest. :) Couple rest days here and there are only good for you. What I have been reading your posts, I think you work out way more than I do and you eat way less than I do. So sweetie pie, try to relax a bit and give your body some rest. And remember moderation with working out when you feel well enough to go back to it. Hopefully you will heal soon!

And thanks dear! Hahah, still planning to lose around 20 kilos / 44 pounds though. So yeah, this is just the beginning. :)

Haha not only am I sick, but my ankle is mucked up. Forced rest-ish days. I'm going to try to do my yoga at least, it doesn't make me breathe so hard that I swallow whatever is in my nose, and hopefully I can hold poses without hurting my ankle. If that doesn't work, I'll just do seated poses. Anything to make sure I don't fall behind.

I eat 1200ish cals a day and work out between 4-5 hours a week. I wish I did more...

44lbs? That's amazing. :) I lost around that the first time I lost weight (from 190lbs to 145ish) and it was so good. Working my way down again slowly. I think I'm under 160 again, which is good. I started at about 170 and I'm probably 158/159 or so, so at least I've gotten into the 50s (10lbs in 5 months though? Lol...). Ideally want to be in the 30s someday, I don't think I have since before highschool. Lol.

ldcommando

Banned
Any Brits get this sort of stuff done? Seems to be mostly an American sort of thing. I'd never even heard of "blood work" before House.

I'd be interested, but fuck knows how you'd go about it in the UK.

This should be the same anywhere in the world. Just ask a doctor.

Sadetar

Haha not only am I sick, but my ankle is mucked up. Forced rest-ish days. I'm going to try to do my yoga at least, it doesn't make me breathe so hard that I swallow whatever is in my nose, and hopefully I can hold poses without hurting my ankle. If that doesn't work, I'll just do seated poses. Anything to make sure I don't fall behind.

I eat 1200ish cals a day and work out between 4-5 hours a week. I wish I did more...

44lbs? That's amazing. :) I lost around that the first time I lost weight (from 190lbs to 145ish) and it was so good. Working my way down again slowly. I think I'm under 160 again, which is good. I started at about 170 and I'm probably 158/159 or so, so at least I've gotten into the 50s (10lbs in 5 months though? Lol...). Ideally want to be in the 30s someday, I don't think I have since before highschool. Lol.
Just make sure if you work out that you are not making yourself more sick or your ankle worse. If I were you, I would definitely just take the rest days and actually rest. There is seriously nothing wrong with taking it easy once in a while, especially if you are sick.

Hahha, and no, I haven't gone down 44 pounds. I have lost around 38-39 pounds, but that 44 is something I am still planning to cut. :p I am aware it will take a way longer time to do that though, since my body will definitely want to hold on to the fat when I am getting smaller. So I would say that if you have managed to change your body composition and lost 10 pounds, that is a good work considering that you didn't have that much to lose in the first place. :)

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Trying to keep the weight on, shits getting difficult. Crawling around in a 8000sqft and 2ft high crawl space with extreme humidity for over a week. This is the only workout Ill be getting, Ill try squats tomorrow but doubt I'll have any energy left and my knees will be sore as usual :(

zPsonwY.jpg

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
New front squat max. 365lbs +10'lbs over last one. Almost lost it on the left side,but corrected just in time.

http://youtu.be/hBe6ETvqizY

Trying to keep the weight on, shits getting difficult. Crawling around in a 8000sqft and 2ft high crawl space with extreme humidity for over a week. This is the only workout Ill be getting, Ill try squats tomorrow but doubt I'll have any energy left and my knees will be sore as usual :(

God damn dude, I think this is the most shredded we've seen you. Absolute monster.

Squatted 120, 122.5, and then 125 kg for triples last night. The set at 125 kg actually felt okay too! Felt like I had at least an extra rep in the tank.

I'm having problems with my deadlift though. I think I need to spend some time relearning it. My lower back starts a bit curled when I begin pulling, and I'm absolutely hopeless at engaging glutes and hips to finish the lift - it all kinda comes down to me using my lower back. Damn entrenched inefficient movement patterns.

Edit: If I post some videos of me deadlifting from last night, are there any people that could provide any tips/cues for me to fix my shit?

SeanR1221

All praise the trap lord. Looking like a monster.

How many calories are you eating a day?

MrToughPants

New front squat max. 365lbs +10'lbs over last one. Almost lost it on the left side,but corrected just in time.

God damn dude, I think this is the most shredded we've seen you. Absolute monster.

Thanks! It's not voluntary though hahaha

Seeing your progress, it's crazy to see how far you are already in such short time and even more to come. You wanted a 400 bench? when you started posting in fitgaf and now you're a DL monster too. Hope to see you put up a 1500+ raw natural total if you compete.

And nice FS, I tried em a few weeks back but they kill my knees now I'll never hit 400 again :( So only backsquats which are pain free and slowly getting back to par. Oh, and no more regular DLs for me as I think I have something worse than SI joint disorder, gonna get a Drs appointment soon. At least rows are pain free. I'm not competing and lift for pleasure plus my lower back gets enough work from my job, can't risk injuries.

I may try creatine again since I believe? it gave a minor strength boost.

All praise the trap lord. Looking like a monster.

How many calories are you eating a day?

Somewhere between 4,500-5,000 on a good day.

I have to eat shit food to keep up. Bought a bunch of brownies for easy calories, swallow in one bite, at work.

SeanR1221

Nice! You continue to inspire with these big lifts

I have to eat shit food to keep up. Bought a bunch of brownies for easy calories, swallow in one bite, at work.

Living the dream. I was just chatting with a guy that has a similar build to you and an active job, and he also eats around 5,000. Says he gets 6 doughnuts every morning from Dunkin Donuts.

Leeness

Just make sure if you work out that you are not making yourself more sick or your ankle worse. If I were you, I would definitely just take the rest days and actually rest. There is seriously nothing wrong with taking it easy once in a while, especially if you are sick.

Hahha, and no, I haven't gone down 44 pounds. I have lost around 38-39 pounds, but that 44 is something I am still planning to cut. :p I am aware it will take a way longer time to do that though, since my body will definitely want to hold on to the fat when I am getting smaller. So I would say that if you have managed to change your body composition and lost 10 pounds, that is a good work considering that you didn't have that much to lose in the first place. :)

Yeah, I will be careful. I may just do sitting yoga today. That won't hurt me. I've already taken two days off, so... :(

Oh, read that backwards. But 38-39 is pretty close anyway! And really great. And yes, it slows down the closer you get...pain in the butt.

I don't know if I've changed my body composition haha. Just managed to get rid of a couple pounds in five months...lol.

Still 30 to go... :( Realistically, I'll probably never hit that. More of a pipe dream.

Sadetar

Ah. I am on my phone ready to fall asleep, but I couldn't help myself and check this before bed. Hahah, it was definitely worth checking though. ;) Damn you are a beast!

And you eat around 4000-5000 cals a day?! To me that sounds totally insane. I just wish I could do that. :p May I ask how tall you are and what do you actually do when you crawl around in that humidity? My imagination is running wild...

iddqd

MrToughPants, one more applause from this side!
Anything you can share that you are doing now that you wished you had known
in the earlier stages of the lifting and "eating 939828 calories a day" career?

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends

Word, I'd be interested too. I'm just stuffing my face with all the protein I can find (moderately) to meet my requirements and not go over calories. Its been going swimmingly but how does one continue on such an arduous task?

Also, did HIIT today correctly for the first time. 20 seconds at max on a bike on 15 resistance and a 1:20 for rest. I gave up after 5 reps, I felt like I was gonna faint and vomit (probably from eating too light of a breakfast). Plus my legs ached so hard.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
If I was a masseuse I would charge you extra for a shoulder massage MTP. Holy crap! Earning your name for sure!

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Nah, I still don't get people who just can't drink water.

That is odd. I was doing some research and didn't find much on sugar cravings until I found a YouTube video (I'll link if it anyone asks), pretty popular bodybuilder says once he eliminated grains from his diet (specifically Barley, Rye, Oats, Wheat and Spelt, he lost all the sugar cravings he had. Maybe its the carb rich diets a lot of people partake in that make them want sugary drinks.

I know it happened to me today and if I didn't have at least something sweet today to drink (usually do it once or twice a week) with dinner, I was not going to enjoy it and probably throw out my food. Oddly enough, what I had for dinner was eggs and chicken with some hummus and cheese on a whole grain/multrigram flatbread. Might cut back on all grains and see what that does by the end of the week.

MrToughPants

Ah. I am on my phone ready to fall asleep, but I couldn't help myself and check this before bed. Hahah, it was definitely worth checking though. ;) Damn you are a beast!

And you eat around 4000-5000 cals a day?! To me that sounds totally insane. I just wish I could do that. :p May I ask how tall you are and what do you actually do when you crawl around in that humidity? My imagination is running wild...

Haha you're too much :)

5'9, 205lbs right now. And I sweat way too much when working :(

Wow thanks for the compliments FitGAF, you're all very motivating :D

I would say learning to squat and deadlift earlier in my "workout" career lol. I'll add that working physical labour helps a great deal for overall conditioning. If I'm putting in a few thousand feet of flooring I'll squat/bend down thousands of times and also carry all the flooring up stairs. If I'm rough-in plumbing a home or apartment building I'll be crawling on my stomach/hand and knees for hours on end, doing muscle ups to get out of the crawl space access or climbing ladders all day with ABS/PVC pipes. After work I'll work out and do a heavy compound like squats, rows, or some kind of press and throw in an accessory exercise or two. I lift about 4-5 hours a week max and I take long rests between compound sets.

Matugi

Knees have been super stiff lately, but everything is much improved. I think the stiffness is due to my knees bearing more pressure while my back heals. I've been able to swing a golf club fine for a couple days now. Got a 110 mph swing off the launch monitor, now just to fix my mechanics (which I haven't the time so therefore not the patience to do lol) so I stop spraying everything. I figure I should be good to go next Monday. The only pain I'm feeling in my back is stiffness and tightness with a little bit of nerve pain when I bend over at the waist, but nothing that should hinder my lifts if I maintain good form

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
How does one achieve ketosis? Seems like all I have to do is cut out carbs indefinitely for my body to only use fat as energy.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Nice! You continue to inspire with these big lifts

Living the dream. I was just chatting with a guy that has a similar build to you and an active job, and he also eats around 5,000. Says he gets 6 doughnuts every morning from Dunkin Donuts.

I'm finding the key to my success is finding SOMEWHERE to make a new PR.

Thanks! It's not voluntary though hahaha

Seeing your progress, it's crazy to see how far you are already in such short time and even more to come. You wanted a 400 bench? when you started posting in fitgaf and now you're a DL monster too. Hope to see you put up a 1500+ raw natural total if you compete.

And nice FS, I tried em a few weeks back but they kill my knees now I'll never hit 400 again :( So only backsquats which are pain free and slowly getting back to par. Oh, and no more regular DLs for me as I think I have something worse than SI joint disorder, gonna get a Drs appointment soon. At least rows are pain free. I'm not competing and lift for pleasure plus my lower back gets enough work from my job, can't risk injuries.

I may try creatine again since I believe? it gave a minor strength boost.

Thanks bud, it means a lot coming from you. You've always been one of the strongest and more knowledgable guys here.

I've secretly been chasing you since I got here, lol.

rage1973

How does one achieve ketosis? Seems like all I have to do is cut out carbs indefinitely for my body to only use fat as energy.

You also need to limit your protein or your body will convert the extra protein to glucose through gluconeogenesis and kick you out of ketosis.

Nelo Ice

Banned
I finished reading Convict Conditioning very recently and have been working on the progression routines it lays out daily ever since. There may be a better book on calisthenics out there, I don't know, but I highly recommend giving Convict Conditioning a read and an honest try. I can already tell I've gained real practical strength even in just the last week. I have a long business trip coming up and won't be able to hit the gym, either. I look forward to going back and seeing how I fair with barbell work after a week + break and doing lots of body weight work.

It's only $10 on Kindle and isn't very long. Give it a try, I say!

Thanks I'll do that. I refuse to go back to not being swole!. Not to mention I'd rather not lose a year of progress :(.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom