• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I'm looking into another gym and god damn has it been tough but I think I found one that won't break my wallet... Tomorrow might be the last day I go to a PF if I'm able to find that new gym!

sphinx

the piano man
sphinx, I personally think that that was the best photo I have seen of you! I am really liking your facial hair and arms on that one! Great work!

thank you sadetar :) I think arms is where I have seen more progress in the last months.

you've got nice curves, one day I'll share my butt pics with you hehe

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
can i replace barbell squats with dumbell squats and do dips instead of bench presses? plan B in case finding another gym doesn't work out.

can i replace barbell squats with dumbell squats and do dips instead of bench presses? plan B in case finding another gym doesn't work out.

Dumbell squats really aren't even close to the same thing. If you were doing down that road i'd probably look to do completely different exercises all together. Dips are great exercises so i'd recommend doing them either way.

Obviously if you can't access a gym or a barbell you can only do what you can do. I think it would be difficult to just substitute the exercises in SS though, you'd probably need a completely different approach focused on dumbells and body weight exercises.

Faiz

I just split the seat of my favorite pair of pajama pants doing squat warm ups. :/. Really thought they were stretchy enough...

Go_Ly_Dow

So much broceps. No curls for the girls for me tho until my bicep strain is 100℅ gone.

Oh and final questions RE creatine to make sure I dont waste my money.

1. Simply take 5g before workout and 5g after?
2. No loading or cycle phase neccesary?
3. Consume workout days only or everyday?

Bowser

So much broceps. No curls for the girls for me tho until my bicep strain is 100℅ gone.

Oh and final questions RE creatine to make sure I dont waste my money.

1. Simply take 5g before workout and 5g after?
2. No loading or cycle phase neccesary?
3. Consume workout days only or everyday?

5g only, everyday, timing is inconsequential. Don't worry about loading.

Started 5x5 this morning and will probably do it until I plateu and then probably switch to 3x5

Whats the best % of 1RM should you start on? I winged it this morning and just went with 50% but it felt too light.

ILoveBish

Gym went great, i got a total of 17 pull ups over 3 sets, 16 dips over 3 sets and 12 chin ups over 3 sets. I just went AMRAP and i did them all superset (which is likely a bad idea since i was toasted by the time i got to my chin ups). Incredible progress from when i couldn't even hold myself in the air for 1 single dip. 2-3 days off for now then start eating at maintenance and try to hit new PRs for 1s week.

Oh and we doing selfies?

zzWrmwe.jpg

Sweet cheers.

If I followed the advice posted around the internet I would piss away this tub in 10 days.

What did you buy? I get my Creatine from myprotein as I was under the impression it doesn't matter what you get. I don't think I've paid more than a fiver for a bag that lasts me about 2 months. Plus they sometimes do deals where you spend more than a tenner, and you can get some things for free.

I am so happy; today was heavy squats day (I'm doing Candito) and I got 132.5 kg for 4 reps. Seeing as my 1RM four weeks ago was 135 kg, I'm super happy. Almost certainly at 3 plates for a single now :) Goal for the year was 150 kg so not too far away. Bodyweight 77 kg.

AlienShogun, that bench press is off the chain.

Go_Ly_Dow

What did you buy? I get my Creatine from myprotein as I was under the impression it doesn't matter what you get. I don't think I've paid more than a fiver for a bag that lasts me about 2 months. Plus they sometimes do deals where you spend more than a tenner, and you can get some things for free.

This stuff as recommended by a few people here on the previous pages.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002DYIZEE/

Think it was recommended as it is 'micronized' creatine and not totally for value. (Although the price seems decent).

I do however get my whey from myprotein. Choc caramel flavour. Mixes great and after a year of drinking it still have to get sick of it.

Faiz

Started 5x5 this morning and will probably do it until I plateu and then probably switch to 3x5

Whats the best % of 1RM should you start on? I winged it this morning and just went with 50% but it felt too light.

If you have a firm grasp of what your 1RM truly is, starting with 50% is about right. Don't worry about it feeling "too light". It adds up fast and it will start feeling heavy very soon. Better to start "too light" than peg out too early.

That said, and I'm not saying you because I don't know you and this is just a word of caution, most people don't really know what their 1RM actually is, and often overestimate it.

So I have a couple of questions about benching for you guys. On bench days do you start with flat or incline? I feel that when I start with incline my flat ends up being a little weaker and vice versa. Is there any way to help combat this or do I just need to power through? The second thing is do you recommend not doing decline. I'm doing 5/3/1 and Jim Wendler doesn't recommend doing them but I just wanted to see what all of you thought.

So I have a couple of questions about benching for you guys. On bench days do you start with flat or incline? I feel that when I start with incline my flat ends up being a little weaker and vice versa. Is there any way to help combat this or do I just need to power through? The second thing is do you recommend not doing decline. I'm doing 5/3/1 and Jim Wendler doesn't recommend doing them but I just wanted to see what all of you thought.

Your opinion on things. There is no right or wrong, just want you want to focus on.

Bench press 365x5. +10 lbs over last 5 rep max. This is pretty huge.

http://youtu.be/iY5wRYaI7lM

Nasty!

Matugi

Alright, first day back, and I feel really, really good. Just trying to get the form down for sumo deadlifts before I hit the ground running; I think it looks pretty good, although my neck positioning could be much better. Critique is really, really needed. Not trying to have a repeat of my injury.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2Bn9zs-vps

I felt no pain in my lower back and, having not lifted in 3 weeks and deadlifting in over a month, felt some pretty good work in my lower back (above my slipped disc) despite it just being 135lbs. Light weight, baby.

Anything?

Started 5x5 today. Squat, bench, row. Benched more than I squatted, but I'm keeping all lower body stuff light for now. Feeling pretty good.

Pete Rock

Anything?
I remember Brolic mentioned starting to incorporate sumo but I think we might be the only two who DL that way. I think that's the main reason our form checks fell off the wayside. That being said, the only thing I could suggest is that when you get your back tight and take the slack out of the bar you will want to have it tighter against your body - directly against your legs throughout the entire range of motion. Your ROM looks solid and balanced but the bar is a few inches away from your legs off the floor position which is going to pitch you forward, or rather keep you from generating the best initial load transfer with the pull when things get heavier. Based on what I see here if your legs are in a comfortable position then you may need to adjust your grip width inwards a little bit so your hands aren't fighting your knees for position at any time. Low back stayed flat and locked out for the entire ROM and that is definitely what you are trying to maintain going forward.

Bowser

Anything?

Started 5x5 today. Squat, bench, row. Benched more than I squatted, but I'm keeping all lower body stuff light for now. Feeling pretty good.

Don't have anything to say on your form as Deadlifts aren't my strong suit and I've never Sumo Deadlifted, but...love that shirt!

RoeBear

I switch up doing flat and incline. I don't really do decline as I feel upper chest is something that is harder to get, so I see it as superfluous. As Edge said though, opinions, so do whatever you think will be best.

Im going to try reverse grip close grip bench press on my arm day for a nice tricep burn. Figure ill add in something I've never done before.

Sad that there is only 2 more weekends left for the summer and than Ill pretty much be a borderline recluse for the next few months. Going to end the last few weekends with a bang and party. On the plus side of the summer being over is that Ill be able to focus on my fitness goals 24/7. Not going to be boozing on the weekends once September hits....hell I wont even go out on dates. Just gym, work and video games till December.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Dumbell squats really aren't even close to the same thing. If you were doing down that road i'd probably look to do completely different exercises all together. Dips are great exercises so i'd recommend doing them either way.

Obviously if you can't access a gym or a barbell you can only do what you can do. I think it would be difficult to just substitute the exercises in SS though, you'd probably need a completely different approach focused on dumbells and body weight exercises.

Okay, lets see how much the gym next to my place is... I hope they haven't closed down with PF taking control of my area.

Zero2kz

Don't mind me, just joining the GUN TRAIN.

QCGeaxE.jpg

I have been mostly out of the gym for awhile now due to injuries. Still cutting. Curious to see what my arms look like once I get back on my routine and cut down to 180.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Where I'm at right now is $10 a month, which is $120 a year, PF is manageable. The gym that used to be the go to place is $45 bucks a year or $545 a year with pool, gym and basketball court... I have to find another gym on a broke college graduate's budget.

Sadetar

[whine] I have been hopeful that losing fat would make buying clothes easier since I would nicely fit in to normal sizes. It seems this doesn't apply to bras. I needed to buy couple new ones since my old ones had too loose circumference... So I went to a fancy store where they measured me and came to fitting room with me to make sure they were the right size. Apparently I am not that typical size around here and I think there were like two bras in the whole store on my size ( 80G EU / 36E US ). I so need to lose more weight and get that smaller in general. I don't always want to pay this much for bras. I might need to buy couple more when I go to UK for a vacation since according to my understanding they actually carry bigger sizes on affordable prices in there. Leeness, I am sure you understand me even if the bra markets are so much better in US as well... [/whine]

Bench press 365x5. +10 lbs over last 5 rep max. This is pretty huge.

http://youtu.be/iY5wRYaI7lM
You are pretty huge! You man beast made that look so easy... Congratulations!

Gym went great, i got a total of 17 pull ups over 3 sets, 16 dips over 3 sets and 12 chin ups over 3 sets. I just went AMRAP and i did them all superset (which is likely a bad idea since i was toasted by the time i got to my chin ups). Incredible progress from when i couldn't even hold myself in the air for 1 single dip. 2-3 days off for now then start eating at maintenance and try to hit new PRs for 1s week.

Oh and we doing selfies?
Yay! Nice to hear that you were doing great at the gym. :)

Even nicer to see that arm of yours. ;) Looking good!

Might as well get in on an arm shot

http://i.imgur.com/cqix4ns.png
Ooooooooohhh! ;p

Damn those veins... Very nice, very nice indeed. :D

And your plan for the rest of the year sounded quite solid. I think mine will include, work, writing graduating thesis, gym and if I once in a while have luxury called free time, I will definitely play video games. I think I am going to die though. I should write around 120 pages of academic text to get master's degree from university. Ugh.

thank you sadetar :) I think arms is where I have seen more progress in the last months.

you've got nice curves, one day I'll share my butt pics with you hehe
Oh you are very welcome! And yep, I think you have managed to make great progress. Keep it up sweetie!

Hahah and awesome! Now I have something to wait for in the future! ;)

Sigh... I guess I just need to work harder then because you look much better with less work.

Really going to get back into it tomorrow, this weekend was a shitshow.

And ick, that BF% picture. I'm probably 40-45 still. I'd be happy to even be 35 :|

Ugh. Going to bed. :(
You silly, you very well know I didn't mean it like that. What I was referring to was that you don't need to work as hard to have results. Also like said, your ass looks phenomenal already! You need to take tons of belfies in Europe! :p

I also think that you have a very wrong body image about yourself. Have you ever lost weight so rapidly that you had hard time knowing what size you were? I really think you don't see yourself like everyone else is seeing you. That is really sad and I think you should do something about it.

Don't mind me, just joining the GUN TRAIN.

QCGeaxE.jpg

I have been mostly out of the gym for awhile now due to injuries. Still cutting. Curious to see what my arms look like once I get back on my routine and cut down to 180.
If you wouldn't have told me that you have been out of the gym for a while, I wouldn't have ever quessed. With all honesty, I love your guns. :p Hahah, I would say they are quite much perfect.

Bowser

Where I'm at right now is $10 a month, which is $120 a year, PF is manageable. The gym that used to be the go to place is $45 bucks a year or $545 a year with pool, gym and basketball court... I have to find another gym on a broke college graduate's budget.

Isn't that the place where they say "No Lunks Allowed," no grunting allowed, and throw pizza parties every Friday or something like that?

lol

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Awesome. Made that shit look easy.

Your opinion on things. There is no right or wrong, just want you want to focus on.

Nasty!

Sweet!

You always set up your lifts with such a calm demeanor, but after the lift, you look like the Red Skull.

That's some super solider serum there.

That went smooth as hell, good job

Body weight day at the gym, nothing crazy tonight, then 2-3 days off and i start my 10th 1's week.

Incredible work, you really are making great progress.

Dude that control!!!! Awesome job.

Thanks guys and I was surprised in how "easy" it felt. I am dealing with a little bit of what I think is impingement in my left shoulder though.

Levi

Banned
Pendlay rows are really fun to do, especially compared to bent over rows.

My pendlay and deadlifts aren't that taxing, but I've progressed to where squats, bench, and especially OHP are getting really difficult. I keep feeling like I'm going to have to deload next session but then not having to because I keep finishing all my sets.

Feels good.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Pendlay rows are really fun to do, especially compared to bent over rows.

My pendlay and deadlifts aren't that taxing, but I've progressed to where squats, bench, and especially OHP are getting really difficult. I keep feeling like I'm going to have to deload next session but then not having to because I keep finishing all my sets.

Feels good.
I had to Google them and they don't look much different from my bent over BB rows at all except the weights hitting the floor. Is there any functional difference between the two? I keep my back about parallel to the ground when doing my bent over rows anyway. Does starting from the floor and hitting it every rep make that much of a difference?

EDIT: No need for a new post to declare I'm addicted to Greek yogurt and protein powder. I've got banana peanut butter and mint chocolate I rotate. You guys are the best! Thanks for the recommendation.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Hit 235 on the bench today. Weakling in this thread, but making gains. Was amazed to look at my fitocracy from a while back, forgot just how weak I used to be.

Levi

Banned
I had to Google them and they don't look much different from my bent over BB rows at all except the weights hitting the floor. Is there any functional difference between the two? I keep my back about parallel to the ground when doing my bent over rows anyway. Does starting from the floor and hitting it every rep make that much of a difference?

Conventional wisdom is bent over rows for bodybuilders, pendlay rows for power lifters. "Deloading" after each rep (i.e. releasing tension by setting the bar completely down) means you can handle more weight. I'm a noob so I can't say which is better, but Pendlay rows are more fun to do because of the tension release and the explosive lift that immediately follows.

http://stronglifts.com/how-to-perform-the-pendlay-row-with-correct-technique/

Strong lifts recommends Pendlay rows over bent over, which is why I switched.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Conventional wisdom is bent over rows for bodybuilders, pendlay rows for power lifters. "Deloading" after each rep (i.e. releasing tension by setting the bar completely down) means you can handle more weight. I'm a noob so I can't say which is better, but Pendlay rows are more fun to do because of the tension release and the explosive lift that immediately follows.

I love me some explosive lifting! I'll give them a shot. My gym frowns on weights hitting the floor upstairs in the weight area but they'll get over it. I don't feel like going downstairs to the platforms to do them.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

I love me some explosive lifting! I'll give them a shot. My gym frowns on weights hitting the floor upstairs in the weight area but they'll get over it. I don't feel like going downstairs to the platforms to do them.

Pendlay rows for life. I'm up to 335x5 right now and I feel it's massively improved my deadlift and bench.

Here's 315 a while back.
http://youtu.be/ibUiXvwMYWA

Levi

Banned

Pendlay rows for life. I'm up to 335x5 right now and I feel it's massively improved my deadlift and bench.

Here's 315 a while back.

Let us know what you think, Cooter.

Impressive as ever, Brolic. Feel like I'm on the right track if you're vouching for Pendlay rows!

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
By the way, as I've gotten bigger lifts the haters have started to come out and bash my videos. So far I've got two, not on YouTube yet, on the gym page on Facebook.

Makes me feel like I've entered a next level.

Let us know what you think, Cooter.

Impressive as ever, Brolic. Feel like I'm on the right track if you're vouching for Pendlay rows!

I love them, but your results may vary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom