• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
what they say?

Said I was cheating with my "knee wraps." Which are knee sleeves. Not the same thing at all.

Other guy said my "back isn't in contact with the bench" in my recent bench video. Then when I corrected him he said he used to do powerlifting and the problem is I'm not focusing in chest,but rather using shoulders and triceps to bench press. To which I basically replied "lol wut".

He them went on to say my ass left the bench. Which it clearly doesn't.

Hater stuff.

Its a law that every YouTube video of somebody lifting weights has at least one expert formchecker in the comments to shit on you

And they typically can't do what you just did.

This is not to say I'm not open to criticism. I am, when it's warranted. It's how my squat got fixed.

Aye fitgaf, trynna get in shape and my Dad gave me this Hydroxycut Acai supplement and I'm not sure if its worth taking. I've had it for like a week and haven't taken any. I have been walking/jogging kinda regularly for the last couple days and wondering if I should start taking it.

Leeness

[whine] I have been hopeful that losing fat would make buying clothes easier since I would nicely fit in to normal sizes. It seems this doesn't apply to bras. I needed to buy couple new ones since my old ones had too loose circumference... So I went to a fancy store where they measured me and came to fitting room with me to make sure they were the right size. Apparently I am not that typical size around here and I think there were like two bras in the whole store on my size ( 80G EU / 36E US ). I so need to lose more weight and get that smaller in general. I don't always want to pay this much for bras. I might need to buy couple more when I go to UK for a vacation since according to my understanding they actually carry bigger sizes on affordable prices in there. Leeness, I am sure you understand me even if the bra markets are so much better in US as well... [/whine]

Looool I understand. Also, the US/Canada market is the worst for bras. I either shop online or there is ONE chain in Canada that I can get bras from. No, US sizes are the worst. My actual size is 32i, but if I were to try to buy at, say, La Senza, I'd have to buy like a 40DD (and they barely have any lol). It sucks.

Thank god for Brastop online and Change chain in Canada. Otherwise I was relegated to buying ~specialty~ bras that only came in nude and cost me upwards of $150. Now I have bras with colours and polka dots :')

You silly, you very well know I didn't mean it like that. What I was referring to was that you don't need to work as hard to have results. Also like said, your ass looks phenomenal already! You need to take tons of belfies in Europe! :p

I also think that you have a very wrong body image about yourself. Have you ever lost weight so rapidly that you had hard time knowing what size you were? I really think you don't see yourself like everyone else is seeing you. That is really sad and I think you should do something about it.

I went back to cardio tonight and oh god. Even though it's only been two weeks or so since I've done cardio (since I was doing strength stuff), my normal routine kicked my ass. I almost puked ._. Gotta work harder and get my endurance for cardio back. I think these last couple weeks before I go, I'm just going to rotate. Cardio - Strength Yoga - Strength circuit - rest, repeat. See where that gets me before September 3.

I didn't lose that fast last time. I went from a size 14 (... :((((((...) to a size 7/8 in like 10 months. Not that great.

Hey fit gaf I want to take my "home/neighborhood" workout routine up a notch. IE to the beginner level.

Been doing a long walk/run routine for about a full year plus (about 2-4 miles simply because of the walk home and or to school) and basic gym and yoga bs for about 4 months of that. Now that I'm done with school none of this stuff is free to me aside from walking and running, which is awesome since school started for the kiddies this week and the area is EMPTY! But I noticed my arms and stomach are starting to go a bit.

Anyone have some basic at home "routines" I can do to tone up/maintain? All I really have here are flat surfaces for basic stuff, pairs of 20lbs dumbbells and lots of time and space. Just would like some basic advice or tips on stuff I could do. Also examples (pics/vids) would be appreciated.

No job = no money = no membership workout places or added home equipment :/

Hey fit gaf I want to take my "home/neighborhood" workout routine up a notch. IE to the beginner level.

Been doing a long walk/run routine for about a full year plus (about 2-4 miles simply because of the walk home and or to school) and basic gym and yoga bs for about 4 months of that. Now that I'm done with school none of this stuff is free to me aside from walking and running, which is awesome since school started for the kiddies this week and the area is EMPTY! But I noticed my arms and stomach are starting to go a bit.

Anyone have some basic at home "routines" I can do to tone up/maintain? All I really have here are flat surfaces for basic stuff, pairs of 20lbs dumbbells and lots of time and space. Just would like some basic advice or tips on stuff I could do. Also examples (pics/vids) would be appreciated.

No job = no money = no membership workout places or added home equipment :/

Push ups, wall sits, planks, hill runs, pull ups (if you can find a play ground or some bar). Any body weight exercise should do you good.

Levi

Banned
Aye fitgaf, trynna get in shape and my Dad gave me this Hydroxycut Acai supplement and I'm not sure if its worth taking. I've had it for like a week and haven't taken any. I have been walking/jogging kinda regularly for the last couple days and wondering if I should start taking it.

"No studies have supported the claims that acai can directly prevent or cure any disease. At this point, consuming acai berries appears to have the same benefits as consuming other antioxidant-rich foods, such as blueberries and red grapes." - livestrong.com

Green tea extract has more science behind it, but why not see what you can do with diet and exercise?

As far as supplements, you should probably take 3 grams of fish oil daily unless you eat a lot of fatty fish. For the rest of your dietary needs, eat whole foods and lots of veggies and cut added sugar and processed food.

OHP is hard

72-als-ice-bucket-challenge-fail.gif

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
"No studies have supported the claims that acai can directly prevent or cure any disease. At this point, consuming acai berries appears to have the same benefits as consuming other antioxidant-rich foods, such as blueberries and red grapes." - livestrong.com

Green tea extract has more science behind it, but why not see what you can do with diet and exercise?

As far as supplements, you should probably take 3 grams of fish oil daily unless you eat a lot of fatty fish. For the rest of your dietary needs, eat whole foods and lots of veggies and cut added sugar and processed food.

Well how about canned tuna? It has sooooo muchhhhh protein dawg

Been doing some cardio (about 10k per week) and lifting weights at the gym (gradually adding) to cut down on my belly.

Not only has my stomach has been getting smaller but my arms have been getting bigger :)

Need to run more before winter kicks in, some of the apps such as Runkeeper have been immensely motivating.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Pfft! Intense workouts with under 75gs of carbs and on a 18 hour fast! I don't need yo stinkin carbs!

CrankyJay

Banned
Pfft! Intense workouts with under 75gs of carbs and on a 18 hour fast! I don't need yo stinkin carbs!

I suck =(

revised my game plan anyway...was going to try to do a cut...didn't like how it was going or how i felt, decided to just eat about 2000cals a day but lift heavy and see what happens.

Anyone got any good videos for OHP? I'm doing stronglifts but I'm stuck at 32.5kg. 5,5,3,5,4 last week then 5,4,4,4,3 this week. I probably could've gotten 4 in the last set but I was just so annoyed with the lift that I just gave up. I'm thinking that maybe my form in wrong somehow so any explanatory vids would really help.

Cagey

Banned
Carbs are fantastic. I am never doing anything below 150g ever again. I look and feel better on a med to high carb diet.

Amen. I did a nutso Berardi lowcarb diet in early 2013, the 50g carb sort of diet. This time around, 150-200g carbs. Feel so much better day-to-day.

Zero2kz

Carbs are fantastic. I am never doing anything below 150g ever again. I look and feel better on a med to high carb diet.

I did under 50g carbs for the majority of the time when I lost 140 lbs. But when I tried to do it when I increased my frequency and intensity of lifting, ughhh.

I rarely go below 100g on rest days, usually around 150-200g on lifting days.

I just can't go any lower.

Chocobro

Anyone got any good videos for OHP? I'm doing stronglifts but I'm stuck at 32.5kg. 5,5,3,5,4 last week then 5,4,4,4,3 this week. I probably could've gotten 4 in the last set but I was just so annoyed with the lift that I just gave up. I'm thinking that maybe my form in wrong somehow so any explanatory vids would really help.

Below is what helped me.
Overhead Presses:
Remember to squeeze your glutes (clench your butt cheeks together) and to perform the valsalva maneuver/breath properly when doing the lift.

Here's an old post I made for someone else regarding OHP videos. I also bolded an important part of the lift; you want to stay tight.
If it isn't form: Is it your rest time between sets too short? Getting enough sleep? Eating enough? Thoughts on getting micro-plates to increase the weight in smaller increments?

sphinx

the piano man
I have the impression that carbs define your look or style:

hi-carb people look chunky and bulky, even if they hit the gym 5/7 and do cardio. Low-carb look lean and take forever to see noticeable gains but they are regarded as the pinnacle of male beauty with definition everywhere and abs. .

is there at least some truth to this or am I just talking nonsense?

CrankyJay

Banned

hi-carb people look chunky and bulky, even if they hit the gym 5/7 and do cardio. Low-carb look lean and take forever to see noticeable gains but they are regarded as the pinnacle of male beauty with definition everywhere and abs. .

This guy seems to eat 320g carbs on workout days and 100g carbs on rest days and is cut up....

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=124258349&postcount=5391

Zero2kz

Eh, well. Mostly everyone will do an extremely low carb diet near the end of their cutting when they are preparing for a bodybuilding show. If you consider that the pinnacle of male beauty, then, I guess?

People can still be shredded and eat carbs though. You just won't be able to count the individual muscle fibers on their asses

ILoveBish

I look best after some carbs and then hit the gym, but then after I look and feel bloated and hate the way I feel. Being in ketosis just feels awesome. YMMV.

Setre

I’ve got a stupid question that I hope you guys/gals can answer.

I started my current routine on the 7th of August and do it every other day. I know that after 6 weeks, or less, you’re supposed to start adding more to your current routine. My question is when is that 6 week period up?

Since I started on the 7th I’ve been going for about a week and 6 days. I’ve only actually worked out for 7 days of that though. Do I start doing more at the 6 week period regardless of how many days I’ve actually worked out or do I start once I’ve reached a full 6 weeks of work out days?

sphinx

the piano man
This guy seems to eat 320g carbs on workout days and 100g carbs on rest days and is cut up....

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=124258349&postcount=5391

Mr Muscle is definitely a special case, he's basically a longtime pro at this point. we (I) can't compare our(my)selves to that

Eh, well. Mostly everyone will do an extremely low carb diet near the end of their cutting when they are preparing for a bodybuilding show. If you consider that the pinnacle of male beauty, then, I guess?

I meant regular gym goers who seem to avoid carbs at all costs at all times.

I have friends how just stopped eating bread and/or pasta alltogether because of the carbs, they rather eat small portions of rice or sweet potatoes and just because they have to, They seem very carb-conscious (more so than fat) and they look lean. That's why I have the impression that lean gains with abs showing equals invariably Low carb diet.

J. Bravo

pulled something in the arch of my left foot. there is a nice bruise there now and it's kind of swollen. this sucks. hopefully it's better by fri/sat so i can start squatting again. in the meantime, maybe i'll get some upper body done lol

MBR

Banned
Hello all you wonderful people.

I finally started going back to the gym last week after 1,5 months of laziness in the heat.
I started out with a session to check how I feel, and after that I've been doing the full body plan from the OP, along with a promise to cut down on alcohol. It's been going good, with friends saying my form looks good when I've asked them.

Today though, I decided to record my one set of deadlift since I've already surpassed my workload from before my lazy period, from 70*5 to 80*5 kg in 3 sessions, and even got 100kg up last session without any snapping.
Either way I'm not sure what to think of my form: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UiuMMuyfr4&feature=youtu.be
It looks like the lower part of my back is very rounded (Esp. rep 2), and my legs are moving too much before my upper body starts lifting sometimes? It might be minor since it still felt good, but I dunno, so I thought I'd show it here.

Also, I made a quick 10 week template for the (Slightly altered) full body program in the OP: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9a1tec6o628qzqu/FullBodyBeginnerOriginal.xlsx

Cudder

I’ve got a stupid question that I hope you guys/gals can answer.

I started my current routine on the 7th of August and do it every other day. I know that after 6 weeks, or less, you’re supposed to start adding more to your current routine. My question is when is that 6 week period up?

Since I started on the 7th I’ve been going for about a week and 6 days. I’ve only actually worked out for 7 days of that though. Do I start doing more at the 6 week period regardless of how many days I’ve actually worked out or do I start once I’ve reached a full 6 weeks of work out days?

There is no 6 week rule. I don't know what you're talking about.

Setre

There is no 6 week rule. I don't know what you're talking about.

I've read on various sites that after a certain point your body gets used to your workout. In order to keep making gains you've got to increase what you're doing. Some sties said you start doing it a 3 week period, another said for beginners you start at 6.

Hope that helps clarify.

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
Alright. Finally decided to make this post so I can commit.

Currently 5' 8" and 210. Most I've ever weighed.
Since I got back from deployment and got out a couple of years ago, I've let myself go.
This will also be the first time I've been on a workout plan since my divorce.
So I'm making this post to track my progress and maybe get some help with accountability from FitGAF so I don't give this one up.

I have no access to a gym but I do have 50 lbs of adjustable hand weights, a pull-up bar, and a punching bag.

I plan on starting 5 day splits this Sunday.

Day 1: Legs/Abs
Day 2: Chest
Day 3: Back/Abs
Day 4: Rest
Day 5: Shoulder/Abs
Day 6: Arms
Day 7: Rest

Most likely after week one I'll start into day on day off long cardio. (I want to get back to doing 10 miles every other day)

At 210 lbs I figure I can get a lot of work done with body weight (more so than with the weights I have) and will probably be asking for some advice on methods to get the best bang for my buck in different body weight exercises.

I'll also probably be posting in Nutrition OT tonight or tomorrow to work on the same accountability there.

I hope, with the help of the fine GAFers here, I can stick this one through.
Wish me some tenacity.

J. Bravo

I've read on various sites that after a certain point your body gets used to your workout. In order to keep making gains you've got to increase what you're doing. Some sties said you start doing it a 3 week period, another said for beginners you start at 6.

Hope that helps clarify.
Just add weight every workout for bigger movements(bench, squat, etc), and maybe every other workout for accessory stuff (curls, chest flyes)

Petrie

Banned

Hope that helps clarify.

It doesn't. Those sites are full of bullshit broscience. Have you read the OP?

Go_Ly_Dow

Hope that helps clarify.

its crazy how many times i've heard people tell me this however there's no research or studies on it and no backing at all.

Setre

Sorry guys, I should have read the OP before posting.

I'm also not really doing what any of the rest of you are. I'm just trying to get in shape and am mostly using my body (sit ups, squats with no weights, and wall push ups since I'm to weak to do regular push ups right now) instead of equipment, save for curls.

Again sorry to bother everyone.

Pete Rock

It looks like the lower part of my back is very rounded (Esp. rep 2), and my legs are moving too much before my upper body starts lifting sometimes? It might be minor since it still felt good, but I dunno, so I thought I'd show it here.
I would recommend basic SS for programming but do whatever you want.

Your video is private instead of unlisted so we can't view it to comment on your form. Good on you for getting back on the grind.

its crazy how many times i've heard people tell me this however there's no research or studies on it and no backing at all.
People love to have ideas and opinions about how things play out, even though they have zero functional experience. Why? I have no fucking clue. I would rather plead ignorance any day of the week than act like an expert for the sake of my own ego display.

A friend recently asked me where I trained and I told her the YMCA as it has everything I need and nothing I don't. The question was rhetorical and she immediately used this as a springboard to mention her current "trainer" who operates out of his garage. Near as I can tell it's Crossfit-lite complete with tire flips and rope ladder agility "drills", etc.

"Yeah it's like really intense, some days you leave feeling totally smoked other days it's not so bad, the important thing is he always mixes it up and keeps things different so your muscles can't get used to..." at which point I just kind of scoffed and said "yeah that sounds great" thumbs up lol

Samara

1653979_593160784093909_1028507925_n_zps10ac550b.jpg

Wish could say this was what my arm still looks like :(

lost ALL my gains....

I gained 15 pounds since ( I got carried away with my bulk and got a back injury on top of it)

So now I can't really lift too much but I'm hoping to lose only 6-8 pounds cause my booty looked fine as hell with a little weight on (squat gods, thank you)

I feel like a huge fucking cow so hopefully looking at this thread will motivate me to get back there

Go_Ly_Dow

Sorry guys, I should have read the OP before posting.

I'm also not really doing what any of the rest of you are. I'm just trying to get in shape and am mostly using my body (sit ups, squats with no weights, and wall push ups since I'm to weak to do regular push ups right now) instead of equipment, save for curls.

Again sorry to bother everyone.

no you're fine

all of us here have had to ask such questions and most are still learning as we go

MBR

Banned
I would recommend basic SS for programming but do whatever you want.

Your video is private instead of unlisted so we can't view it to comment on your form. Good on you for getting back on the grind.
I did regular SS before, and thought I'd do something different for a start now. I'll definitely change my program if it doesn't work or I want something else.

Oops, fixed*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom