• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sadetar

Hatha should hopefully be really relaxing!

It definitely looks great on you :)

I've done two of the You Are Your Own Gym workouts. It huuuuurts haha. My arms and legs hurt like crazy. First one was more arms and had some pull ups using a table and they hurt so much lol. Today was legs and had lots of squats and lunges.

Nothing tomorrow cause I'll be going to physio after work. Woo.
Hahah, hurting sounds good. :p At least you know you are doing it right.

Let us know how the physio went!

October is my fitness anniversary month!! my gym membership started in Oct. 2012, happy anniversary, to me, lol.

progress is what matters, not raw numbers.

today I am 13'5 (cold) but I when I started I was 11.
Yay! Attaboy! Keep up the good work! :D

It is quite challenging but I also try to see my progress based on how I feel and not only about what the scale is showing.

I've gone in a completely different direction. I used to be able to eat like a monster, but now, I can barely finish normal meals in restaurants.

Oh, and to the guys complaining about 17" biceps. Try having my frame... mine are big compared to my arms (and far more defined than most people I know), but break the tape at a massive 13.5".

As I've said before. Even if I was a woman I'd still be classed as a small frame. Yay genetics. =/
I am quite jealous, I would love to have a small frame, but even how little I would weight I will never be petite. I have more or less accepted that fact. Damn genetics.

I know you're a corrections officer, but no need to play thread cop. If you don't like her posts put her on ignore.
Crankyyyy! I was worried for a while that where did our superhero daddy go when you got banned and I wasn't sure how long ban did you get.

What on earth did you do? Steal from the rich and give to the poor?

CrankyJay

Banned
Crankyyyy! I was worried for a while that where did our superhero daddy go when you got banned and I wasn't sure how long ban did you get.

What on earth did you do? Steal from the rich and give to the poor?

Got banned for trolling in the iPhone 6 thread...

Which is quite odd, I'm an iPhone user

Wolfe

Question time, I've been kinda broke lately and therefore haven't been eating nearly enough to gain weight, lifts are starting to stall out. I'm curious if anyone has any suggestions for easy cheap calories before I jump back on the GOMAD train.

Anyone?

Peanut butter. Yoghurt is also pretty cheap and can get very high cal if you don't mind carbs but even greek yoghurt is pretty dense. Greek Yoghurt + Peanut butter + protein scoop + full milk can get to 1000+ depending on quantities and is pretty cheap and easy to eat. Can even throw in some granola if you want to.

Matugi

This is kinda more to Pete Rock, but anyone that is familiar with sumo deadlift can answer: how open are my hips supposed to be (aka how far should my shoulders be over the bar, how far feet turned out)? I think the biggest problem I have with getting off the floor right now is that I my hips aren't open enough.

Sadetar

There has been quite many good ones already. I haven't never had problems with gaining weight or getting enough energy, but beanut butter, oils, nuts, milk and cottage cheese should be all quite alright and cheap.

Class of 92!
I now feel like a baby.

Got banned for trolling in the iPhone 6 thread...

Which is quite odd, I'm an iPhone user
Hahahah, I see. Well, you were a better troll than you thought. :p

not gonna lie i skip most posts with a picture in them. check the pic, notice who it is, move on. flirting online is stupid.

although sadetar, i'd (i'll pm you the next part)

lol

(hypocrisy)
How on earth I managed to miss this. Golden response.

Sadetar

I told you I was old! I benched 285 in 95. Now I can barely put up 275. Sucks getting old. :-(
You aren't old, you just started early. :p

Hahahah, and 275 is more than enough to get me up
and down, up and down... Sorry, couldn't resist. ;)

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
You aren't old, you just started early. :p

Hahahah, and 275 is more than enough to get me up
and down, up and down... Sorry, couldn't resist. ;)
Ha! If I meet a woman I can't toss around like a rag doll she is officially out of my range! ;-) You are well within.

I meant more generally.

But for me it was probably back in 2000. Missus was studying in Italy and I surprised her by getting RIPPED to meet her. Funny thing was, I changed so much that she walked right past me at the airport.

Sadly I'll never get back to that sort of shape (short of surgery), but thankfully (sort of), no photos of it exist for me to look back and feel sad about it.

sphinx

the piano man
Class of 92!

I said wow.

that was a year after I started playing the piano.... that's a fucking long time ago, lol

how old were you that year, 14?

and you have never gone a complete year without hitting a gym? can you remember what was your longest break?

Cooter

I said wow.

that was a year after I started playing the piano.... that's a fucking long time ago, lol

how old were you that year, 14?

and you have never gone a complete year without hitting a gym? can you remember what was your longest break?
Maybe 6 months. I got an Olympic weight set on my 13th birthday. I was OCD about lifting even back then. We went on a family vacation for 2 weeks in Hawaii and I made my grandparents get me a temp membership to a local gym. Yeah... issues

sphinx

the piano man
I started in 09.

2011 for me.

no breaks whatsoever? my longest must be...... probably 7-8 days.....I don't think I have spent, say, 2 weeks without going to a gym to workout in the last 2 years.

I know cause by the 4th day I start getting very uneasy.... at 2 weeks I'd be hysterical.

Maybe 6 months. I got an Olympic weight set on my 13th birthday. I was OCD about lifting even back then. We went on a family vacation for 2 weeks in Hawaii and I made my grandparents get me a temp membership to a local gym. Yeah... issues

with 13 and so determined and commited, wow.. your parents surely were/are proud of you.

J. Bravo

no breaks whatsoever? my longest must be...... probably 7-8 days.....I don't think I have spent, say, 2 weeks without going to a gym to workout in the last 2 years.

I know cause by the 4th day I start getting very uneasy.... at 2 weeks I'd be hysterical.

with 13 and so determined and commited, wow.. your parents surely were/are proud of you.
Started 2nd semester of senior year. Gained 40 pounds. Quit until midway thru freshman year, but all we did was jack around at the campus gym. After school I haven't really taken a break at all. So pretty much 4 years straight.

Wolfe

Peanut butter. Yoghurt is also pretty cheap and can get very high cal if you don't mind carbs but even greek yoghurt is pretty dense. Greek Yoghurt + Peanut butter + protein scoop + full milk can get to 1000+ depending on quantities and is pretty cheap and easy to eat. Can even throw in some granola if you want to.

Yeah. Calorie dense foods. PB. Milk. Cottage cheese and yogurt. Cheaper cuts of meat if you can afford it. You could probably get a pork shoulder for cheap and cook a weeks worth of meat if you make pulled pork in a slow cooker.

Yeah as I said I'm planning on jumping back on the GOMAD train (hard to beat 2500 cal for 3ish bucks) but was just curious if anyone else had any suggestions that I may not have heard of/be aware of. I have tons of PB and pick up yogurt now and then. Thanks for the replies.

There has been quite many good ones already. I haven't never had problems with gaining weight or getting enough energy, but beanut butter, oils, nuts, milk and cottage cheese should be all quite alright and cheap.

I don't have that luxury, it's a huge chore for me to gain weight until I get into the 3500-4k calorie range :(

I've taken 3-4 weeks off at a time each year. Didn't plan on it, just kinda happened.

grumble

I've taken 3-4 weeks off at a time each year. Didn't plan on it, just kinda happened.

I'm taking time off right now. My shoulders, hip and knee are in bad shape. A little time to heal up my connective tissue isn't a bad call. Plus it's cardio training time!

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
for christ sake, none of the gyms near my area have a proper squat rack! WHAT DO I HAVE TO DO TO GET PROPER GAINZ?!?! If I only didn't live in an apartment, I would make my own station...

Sadetar

Ha! If I meet a woman I can't toss around like a rag doll she is officially out of my range! ;-) You are well within.
Lol. Duly noted.

I think I need to add to my selection criteria that if a man can't toss me around like a rag doll, he is officially out of my range. ;)

I meant more generally.

But for me it was probably back in 2000. Missus was studying in Italy and I surprised her by getting RIPPED to meet her. Funny thing was, I changed so much that she walked right past me at the airport.

Sadly I'll never get back to that sort of shape (short of surgery), but thankfully (sort of), no photos of it exist for me to look back and feel sad about it.
Hahah, my bad. At nearly 6 am I think I have quite a one track mind.

That is by the way awesome story! I am extremely disappointed that there is no photographic evidence of that historical awesomeness of you (not that there would be anything wrong with you at the moment either). Talking about photos I am bit annoyed with myself that I didn't take more comparison pics of me before I started. There is few photos of me that time in general where I wouldn't be wearing a corset.

I don't have that luxury, it's a huge chore for me to gain weight until I get into the 3500-4k calorie range :(
I can imagine how frustrating that must be. Then again it is a huge chore for me to lose weight, until I get into around 1250-1500 calorie range. I also need to pay attention to my macros, since it seems that big amounts of carbonhydrates will only fuck with my body and make me totally bloated and feeling bad. It seems that we all have our own wars to win. Good luck with yours! :D

Cooper

I've done two of the You Are Your Own Gym workouts. It huuuuurts haha. My arms and legs hurt like crazy. First one was more arms and had some pull ups using a table and they hurt so much lol. Today was legs and had lots of squats and lunges.

Bodyweight exercises can definitely be a challenge. I do body weight rows like you are on the Smith machine, and it's humbling how hard they get after 10 reps. :p On the plus side, I can now do 5 chin-ups and 4 neutral/hammer grip pull-ups, so improvement is happening. Best of luck with the program!

Wolfe

I can imagine how frustrating that must be. Then again it is a huge chore for me to lose weight, until I get into around 1250-1500 calorie range. I also need to pay attention to my macros, since it seems that big amounts of carbonhydrates will only fuck with my body and make me totally bloated and feeling bad. It seems that we all have our own wars to win. Good luck with yours! :D

To be honest I start to feel silly complaining about things like that but as you said everyone has their own battles to win. Growing up as someone abnormally skinny I definitely empathize with anyone overweight, being skinny may be the more socially acceptable option but it doesn't stop being from being a dick to you about it at times.

@Petrie: You sure managed to create a divisive topic with your birthday massage talk, hopefully the people giving you a hard time aren't getting to ya.

Szu

I told you I was old! I benched 285 in 95. Now I can barely put up 275. Sucks getting old. :-(

So, you lost ten lbs on your bench over the course of 20 years. At this rate, you'll be benching about 245 when you in your 90's.

For those of you with the unlimited freedom of college (you damn kids with your music), home/workplace gyms, or even just a decent range of DBs laying around in your garage underneath the pull-up bar (i.e. me) you may be interested in checking out Lyle McDonald's new series on how to properly implement working out twice a day. Right now he's covered the rationale, the basics, and bodybuilding/general size & fitness. I think power training is the next part.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/two-a-day-training-in-the-weight-room-part-1.html/

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/two-a-day-training-in-the-weight-room-part-2.html/

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/two-a-day-training-in-the-weight-room-part-3.html/

I know a lot of people only think of him as a nutrition guy and like to post that 20 year old shot of him deadlifting 175 or something as an excuse for dismissing his training advice but what can I say, I'm a devotee and most of his stuff makes sense and is hard to argue with. The above series is certainly worth looking at if you've been considering working out twice a day. I've been following the guidelines just for back & arms over the 6 weeks and I'm happy with my results thus far.

for christ sake, none of the gyms near my area have a proper squat rack! WHAT DO I HAVE TO DO TO GET PROPER GAINZ?!?! If I only didn't live in an apartment, I would make my own station...

If you just want big legs you can get there any number of ways without barbell squats. Bulgarian split squats with DBs and plain old leg press can add plenty of size. Stay away from the smith machine though, that's for calves and gravity boots only.

ILoveBish

Thanks! :D I wonder if there anyone else here that is "class 2012".

I started going to the gym since March 2012, but I did a crappy bro routine, ate like crap and didn't get results for the first year. Then in April 2013 I found sl5x5, then I found fitgaf, and then everything came into place then. Realistically, its been about 1.5 years of proper training, and progress has been insanely good for that time frame.

I've taken months off at the gym but I wouldn't recommend it. I usually take 1 to 2 week breaks if I feel the need to and that never bothers me. Plus I'm old, just recently turned 36, need the rest.

j-wood

It's been hard work, but I've made huge progress.

I started the summer at 198 pounds (5'10 height). Through a combination of cutting out soda and fast food (except on occasion, or something like Chipotle or chick fil a, decent quality fast food), I'm down to 172 lbs.

Workout included playing ultimate frisbee 3 times a week, not eating like shit (started eating organic foods, stopped over eating).

On the off days from frisbee I do a fast routine of squats, crunches, push ups and whatnot, basically just at home exercises.

I would like to get down to 160, but i've been stuck at 172 for a couple of weeks now. I assume I just need to up the workout?

I've been sticking to the following macros roughly, weighted towards carbs because of all the running for frisbee:

2,000 calories
175g carbs
75g of fat
60g of protein

ampere

Been reading through the OP a bit since I'm trying to re-educate myself on health.

But holy shit at the GOMAD thing... is such a thing even possible? I have problems digesting milk so I obviously wouldn't do that, but holy shit that seems like way too much milk for anyone to digest daily.

It's been hard work, but I've made huge progress.

I started the summer at 198 pounds (5'10 height). Through a combination of cutting out soda and fast food (except on occasion, or something like Chipotle or chick fil a, decent quality fast food), I'm down to 172 lbs.

Great work man, impressed but not surprised that those diet changes helped. Beer is my empty calorie vice, but I try to limit how much I have.

Petrie

Banned
@Petrie: You sure managed to create a divisive topic with your birthday massage talk, hopefully the people giving you a hard time aren't getting to ya.

haha. Not at all. I didn't expect it to get people so riled up, but that can be fun sometimes.

I guess I'm a giant homophobe. Who knew?

CrankyJay

Banned
haha. Not at all. I didn't expect it to get people so riled up, but that can be fun sometimes.

Last year I got a massage...I don't even remember asking for a guy or girl. I ended up getting a pretty butch woman who proceeded to beat the living shit out of me. I was fucked up for a day or two afterwards.

Cooter

So, you lost ten lbs on your bench over the course of 20 years. At this rate, you'll be benching about 245 when you in your 90's.
I think your formula is off due to missing variables. Recalculate now when I tell you I put up 370 last summer...

Exokell

Banned
Did high reps yesterday. Fuck mane feels good. Cannot believe I wasn't doing this shit before. Can't wait for my heavy days

Szu

Last year I got a massage...I don't even remember asking for a guy or girl. I ended up getting a pretty butch woman who proceeded to beat the living shit out of me. I was fucked up for a day or two afterwards.

In some states, you have to pay extra for that.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Could be worse, you could be the topic creator of "The Booty-Eating Renaissance"

Szu

Gosh, you guys are all awfully heavy. Well, I'm awfully light, too. 126lbs, to be precise. How can I raise this number?

Eat everything. I don't know what type of training you use at the moment, but a weights program would be the ideal choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom