• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astral

Is it normal to look and feel fatter and even gain a bit of weight while reverse dieting? I'm only on my 3rd week slowly moving up to a lean bulk but I already feel terrible. Is water weight that much of a bitch?

image.php

No, they're not. I actually quite like deadlifts. I really, really hate lunges though.

I think the main problem is I'm doing a lot of high rep stuff at the moment for endurance, which is just destroying me.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
No, they're not. I actually quite like deadlifts. I really, really hate lunges though.

I think the main problem is I'm doing a lot of high rep stuff at the moment for endurance, which is just destroying me.
Stop doing lunges. They're not necessary. Bam! I fixed your hatred of leg day.

I'm sure they're not as a general rule, but this is related to mountain biking rather than bodybuilding, and I'd rather not mess with the program... at least not short term.

I think perhaps I do need to drop the weights a bit though.

Cudder

I really, really hate massages. Find them extremely uncomfortable during, and afterwards my muscles just feel odd. I think my body just likes being tense.

They can be uncomfortable, but that is just your knots being worked out in your muscles. The pain is good, I find. Also, going to a chiropractor can also be godlike. I went only once, but when they were finished with me I swear I felt more relaxed than I ever have.

So I am still working on fixing my deadlifts, taking it slow as my back seems to not like being straight, not sure it is a posture issue or something else. Right now I am just working on bending down with my back straight any back workouts for the back to do in the mean time?

CrankyJay

Banned
Not looking forward to the gym today...I normally do mornings but I had a blood test this morning and I had to fast for it. I didn't want to be on a 16 hour fast with a workout under my belt and not eat anything for an extra 2 hours.

I'm sure I'll encounter some of the afternoon dudebros.

Imm0rt4l

Is it normal to look and feel fatter and even gain a bit of weight while reverse dieting? I'm only on my 3rd week slowly moving up to a lean bulk but I already feel terrible. Is water weight that much of a bitch?

Maybe you started off a bit too high on your reverse diet? Water weight can certainly be a bitch though, makes me look fluffy. Could be that, sodium, hormones maybe? I dunno

sphinx

the piano man
Are deadlifts on your leg day? If yes then you should be ashamed!

for what is worth, www.exrx.net says the one main thing you are working on when doing deadlifts is glutes, with other parts of the legs being synergists. The back muscles are only stabilizers, according to the link:

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/GluteusMaximus/BBDeadlift.html

I remember looking like crazy up and down in the "back" directory and somehow found it by chance looking for isolation leg things. I was like "ooohhh, there it was"

it sucks cause if I do DL on leg days, I have to alternate between squats and DLs, and back days then have no main compound...on the other hand Pullups and deadlifts the same day spells death for my grip and mean I'll get major calluses on my hands...

Matugi

Second round of PT went well yesterday. Leg is definitely getting stronger. Can now at least hit depth in a squat position without too much pain. Should be back at it in a couple of weeks.

Astral

Maybe you started off a bit too high on your reverse diet? Water weight can certainly be a bitch though, makes me look fluffy. Could be that, sodium, hormones maybe? I dunno

We I only gained two pounds so it's probably just water weight, but yeah I look fluffy.

grumble

for what is worth, www.exrx.net says the one main thing you are working on when doing deadlifts is glutes, with other parts of the legs being synergists. The back muscles are only stabilizers, according to the link:

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/GluteusMaximus/BBDeadlift.html

I remember looking like crazy up and down in the "back" directory and somehow found it by chance looking for isolation leg things. I was like "ooohhh, there it was"

it sucks cause if I do DL on leg days, I have to alternate between squats and DLs, and back days then have no main compound...on the other hand Pullups and deadlifts the same day spells death for my grip and mean I'll get major calluses on my hands...

Join us on the non body part split side of the fence, it's nice over here. Seriously, it's a different way of working out that has proven extremely effective over what is more than a century of research. Power lifters, strong men, Olympic lifters, and most old school bodybuilders all did/do full body workouts.

The deadlift of course works your quads, hamstrings, adductors, abductors and glutes intensely in a concentric fashion, but the isometric action of your midsection, lower back, upper back, rear shoulders, forearms and a pile of smaller stabilizing muscles works them intensely. You can't fit it into an isolation system.

My system is to alternate between dead lifting and squatting. Day 1 is bench, squat and some assistance work like chins, rows, whatever. Day 2 is overhead press then deadlift and other assistance like curls, dips, etc. You can alternate that until you've got a dl in the high 300s. Things get a bit trickier after, but a great book called practical programming for strength training third edition outlines the whole thing.

Leeness

I have also hyper mobility in quite many places like ankles, knees and elbows. I always need to remember to have soft knees for example and remind myself not to lock my joints. Hopefully your ankle will be better after you have managed to strenghten your muscles around it a bit. Go show your calf it you think it isn't getting any better and bothers you. If you keep working out like you do you will soon have a steel body. :p

Normally physiotherapist are really good and they have helped me a lot. ^_^

I think it was kind of tough for the physio because I didn't come in injured haha. She could figure out my ankles because you can see it and feel it, but the calf thing is just weird and I'm not surprised it was tough for her to tell. We'll see! Doing my little exercises, though.

Hm...what could be a decent substitute/easier move that does the same thing as a military press? I can't do them at all. Haha.

Tater Tot

"My God... it's full of Starch!"
I am happy that I am improving in my lifts. I recently hit a PR on the bench press but the bar did not touch my chest on all the reps. Should I

A) reduce the weight and make sure the bar touches my chest for each rep and gradually improve.

or

B) Continue using the same weight but reduce the reps and ensure that the bar touches my chest and gradually increase the reps.

Right now, I am mainly lifting for strength with long rest periods and short reps. I typically have a 3 minute rest period and my max rep range is Six on my work sets.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

sphinx

the piano man
Join us on the non body part split side of the fence, it's nice over here. Power lifters, strong men, Olympic lifters, and most old school bodybuilders all did/do full body workouts.

I am not sure I follow, by full-body workouts you mean, I should try a routine based solely on compound lifts with no regard to isolation moves? or that I shouldn't divide my routine in days by bodyparts, like "leg day", "back day" and so on?

sorry, I am probably too slow today

CrankyJay

Banned
Back on my cut. Started at 213, down to 210 already.

This time I'm cutting out whatever dairy I can (mostly cheese).

Will attempt gluten free again as well.

Bench is at 225 x 2 as of last night, going to try to build on that or at least maintain that.

Low carb on non-lifting days.

Wish me luck.

sphinx

the piano man
Back on my cut. Started at 213, down to 210 already.

This time I'm cutting out whatever dairy I can (mostly cheese).

Will attempt gluten free again as well.

Bench is at 225 x 2 as of last night, going to try to build on that or at least maintain that.

Low carb on non-lifting days.

Wish me luck.

good luck!

the best thing I've done while cutting has been to get rid of rice and potatoes... veggies are the best side to meat, that or a reasonable (small) amount of pasta with butter. I am seeing notably results right now, I think for the first time ever. I think I am 2 kilo/4.5lbs away from a six pack...

I am thrilled but scared at the same time, every time I try to cut, I am horrified at the thought of getting/looking "small". This time I think I passed that barrier for the first time and I am actually seeing some definition, I am comfortable with how I feel and look at the moment so I am motivated to keep a strict eye on my diet.

Out of interest... do you guys do that just to make it easier to hit your calorie targets / macros, or do you do it because you believe that you're more likely to retain fat if you eat certain types of carbs?

CrankyJay

Banned
Out of interest... do you guys do that just to make it easier to hit your calorie targets / macros, or do you do it because you believe that you're more likely to retain fat if you eat certain types of carbs?

I personally think it's dairy and certain types of carbs that is holding me back. But I can see cutting most dairy out as a way to hit your numbers.

freshair

Dem feels when you haven't seen someone in a year and the first thing say to you is "wtf, you're buff!". :')

#datmotivation

I am thrilled but scared at the same time, every time I try to cut, I am horrified at the thought of getting/looking "small". This time I think I passed that barrier for the first time and I am actually seeing some definition, I am comfortable with how I feel and look at the moment so I am motivated to keep a strict eye on my diet.

I call it the unswoley valley, kudos for sticking it out and getting through. It's worth it. Also your muscles will fill out a bit once you get back to maintenance calories and get a little more carbs in your diet (which = replenished muscle glycogen).

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I got to my knees trying the Aztec pushup. I was pretty tired and beat yesterday though and I didn't stretch or warm up. With some practice I think I got this!

Emwitus

Hi gaf. Trying mostly to cut some weight/add muscle. Two months ago I was 204 lbs at 6'1 and 29yrs . Now flactuating between 190 and 194. Only exercise I've been doing is cardio. ( running an hour a day on random trails).

My goals now are to cut about 15 more pounds (hopefully the tummy also) and add some muscle. Is running and push ups/sit ups a good start? Can any one recommend good weight lifting workouts that do not put a strain on the abdominal muscles? (Medical reasons)

Sorry if it sounds like I'm all over the place. Never weight lifted in my life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom