• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrankyJay

Banned
Sorry. The strain from the situps(only do 10 and I cheat by being on a springy bed lol) isnt too bad.
I had a hernia removed a few months ago and I'm approaching it lightly.

You don't really need to do much ab work, your diet will mostly take care of how your abs will look.

J. Bravo

Hi gaf. Trying mostly to cut some weight/add muscle. Two months ago I was 204 lbs at 6'1 and 29yrs . Now flactuating between 190 and 194. Only exercise I've been doing is cardio. ( running an hour a day on random trails).

My goals now are to cut about 15 more pounds (hopefully the tummy also) and add some muscle. Is running and push ups/sit ups a good start? Can any one recommend good weight lifting workouts that do not put a strain on the abdominal muscles? (Medical reasons)

Sorry if it sounds like I'm all over the place. Never weight lifted in my life.

all the good lifts put a ton of strain on your core (bench, squat, dead, row, ohp, etc). you'll have to stick to isolation stuff with machines most likely.

Emwitus

You don't really need to do much ab work, your diet will mostly take care of how your abs will look.
Alrighty. Thanks! I'll cut out all ab work. Running has been awesome so far but I feel like its taking a lot longer than I thought. I haven't been very attentive with my diet. I'll work on that.
all the good lifts put a ton of strain on your core (bench, squat, dead, row, ohp, etc). you'll have to stick to isolation stuff with machines most likely.
Bummer. I was afraid so. So mostly the ellipticals and the treadmills I suppose.

Szu

Dem feels when you haven't seen someone in a year and the first thing say to you is "wtf, you're buff!". :')

#datmotivation

Yeah, that's pretty sweet.

On the other end of the spectrum, I bumped into a friend who hasn't seen me a few years and he said I look exactly the same. Considering my injuries, I'll take it.

sphinx

the piano man
Yeah, that's pretty sweet.

On the other end of the spectrum, I bumped into a friend who hasn't seen me a few years and he said I look exactly the same. Considering my injuries, I'll take it.

this.

it's a double-edged sword, it's one of the things that annoy me each time I visit friends and family in Mexico, they see me once or twice a year and always before I go there I wonder whether they'll notice changes...

fortunately a fitness friend of me told me last summer the moment he saw me "why the hell do you complain you don't see gains in our FB group? you have improved a lot" and I thanked him and it made my day :p but other fitness friends didn't say a word, so who knows.

I really shouldn't care, either way and yet I sorta kinda do, boo me.

Sadetar

Second round of PT went well yesterday. Leg is definitely getting stronger. Can now at least hit depth in a squat position without too much pain. Should be back at it in a couple of weeks.
That sounds awesome.

I have been jumping up and down in excitement - on Friday I will finally meet up with my physiotherapist and hopefully will have a new gym program. She was the one that encouraged me to start going to the gym in the first place and she hasn't seen me since. She knows I have lost around 45 pounds, but hasn't seen it. I know already it will be emotional meeting. :)

Nah. I've got quick hands. I've never fallen on my face
Cooter and quick hands... ;)

Hahah, but hey, just remember there is first time for everything. Be careful :p

A good sports massage can work wonders on any muscle group, legs included.
Thanks! That is awesome to hear. I know what I will be asking for Christmas. :D Now I have just been using those foam rolls.

Dem feels when you haven't seen someone in a year and the first thing say to you is "wtf, you're buff!". :')

#datmotivation
That is so great! Positive feedback always feels so good. :)

I met one of my formed colleagues last week when I was shopping to get a new jacket for jogging and Nordic walking and I could see the discomfort in her face. With a free translation she said to me "Oh. Hi... I didn't expect to see you in a sport equipment store... it seems you have started to work out. Well, it isn't wrong for any one of us to try I guess." And then she continued looking at me with this extremely pissed face. She is fit and have been working out for couple years and it seems she is annoyed by the idea that someone else is trying to better themself as well.

Based on my own experience men might take these kind of things better than females (even though I need to add that couple of my friends and former colleagues are so adorable and have started to work out as well because of my "good example" so they say).

Talking about starting to work out. A male friend of mine, age 27, 160 pounds / 73 kilos is planning to start to go to gym as well. I am thinking what program could I recommend for him. He is in a very good shape even if he hasn't never gone to gym. Does push ups, pull ups and chin ups quite much on daily basis. Can also do muscle ups without any discomfort and one handed pull ups. Veins are visible in the arms and upper body so I assume that the body fat percentage is quite low. So he is lean but he hopes to get more muscle mass. Can you recommend some program that I could say to him to check out?

Oh yes, delts are getting some solid gains this bulk.
Sweetie, you are looking extremely fine. :p

I think it was kind of tough for the physio because I didn't come in injured haha. She could figure out my ankles because you can see it and feel it, but the calf thing is just weird and I'm not surprised it was tough for her to tell. We'll see! Doing my little exercises, though.

Hm...what could be a decent substitute/easier move that does the same thing as a military press? I can't do them at all. Haha.
Chocobro already helped with the military press substitute. :p

Good that you are back on the gain train. :D I am sure that if you continue doing everything your physio told you to, it will start to heal and be better in no time.

this.

it's a double-edged sword, it's one of the things that annoy me each time I visit friends and family in Mexico, they see me once or twice a year and always before I go there I wonder whether they'll notice changes...

fortunately a fitness friend of me told me last summer the moment he saw me "why the hell do you complain you don't see gains in our FB group? you have improved a lot" and I thanked him and it made my day :p but other fitness friends didn't say a word, so who knows.

I really shouldn't care, either way and yet I sorta kinda do, boo me.
Come on, we are only puny mortals - we all care. It is normal to want positive feedback and people to notice how much you have been putting time and effort into yourself. And trust me with this one, it is showing. I am sure your cut is going to be glorious! :D

Alrighty. Thanks! I'll cut out all ab work. Running has been awesome so far but I feel like its taking a lot longer than I thought. I haven't been very attentive with my diet. I'll work on that.

Bummer. I was afraid so. So mostly the ellipticals and the treadmills I suppose.
Can you ask your physiotherapist's opinion and ask him/her to do you a gym programm? I am fairly sure you can do isolated movements with machines to build up your muscles. They aren't as effective as free weights are, but will get you started. If you want, I can write you my gym program that I started with when my back was absolutely awful.

It is quite hard to actually cut fat while same time gaining muscles. If you are a newbie, you can do it for a while though, so better take everything out of that precious time. :D

CrankyJay

Banned
Public Service Announcement

Shrimp cocktail is a bomb ass protein snack if you can afford it.

$26 for a 2lb bag of frozen cooked jumbo shrimp. Serving is 5 shrimp, 18g protein, 1g fat. 11 servings per bag.

Leeness

You can look into dumbbell press. Last year, CanditoTrainingHQ made a video why he does (seated) dumbbell press instead of military press.

Thank you! This is what I did! :)

Chocobro already helped with the military press substitute. :p

Good that you are back on the gain train. :D I am sure that if you continue doing everything your physio told you to, it will start to heal and be better in no time.

I hope so! Keep going at it!

Tired arms nooooow... :( Haha.

Still eating ice cream though lmao. Oops. I have no will power against ice cream right now.

Szu

Public Service Announcement

Shrimp cocktail is a bomb ass protein snack if you can afford it.

$26 for a 2lb bag of frozen cooked jumbo shrimp. Serving is 5 shrimp, 18g protein, 1g fat. 11 servings per bag.

Conveniently, my ass is allergic to shellfish.

I'm going to hold my quest bars and cry.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
I am happy that I am improving in my lifts. I recently hit a PR on the bench press but the bar did not touch my chest on all the reps. Should I

A) reduce the weight and make sure the bar touches my chest for each rep and gradually improve.

or

B) Continue using the same weight but reduce the reps and ensure that the bar touches my chest and gradually increase the reps.

Right now, I am mainly lifting for strength with long rest periods and short reps. I typically have a 3 minute rest period and my max rep range is Six on my work sets.

Help would be greatly appreciated.
Depending on your build, you may not need to touch the bar to your chest every rep (for some it's more trouble than it's worth) unless you're planning on competing, in which case it's required. If your programming is on point you shouldn't be sticking at the same weight too long anyway, so don't worry about your PR, just choose a form and stick to it. If you decide to opt for bar to chest but can't do it some sets then a deload may be in order.
Conveniently, my ass is allergic to shellfish.

I'm going to hold my quest bars and cry.
This makes it sound like you don't have a problem eating them but once they make their way through the trouble begins.

For those bulking (slow or otherwise), how much weight are you generally looking to put on a week?

I understand that there's a physical limit to how much muscle a body can gain per week, and that most of the upper numbers I see are generally understood to only be achievable via the use of steroids. To my knowledge, putting on much more than about a lb a week is generally considered just a way to get fat, but I'm no expert on the subject.

Any input?

Cudder

5x5 is taking its toll on me. Spent almost 2 and a half hours in the gym yesterday. Taking long breaks inbetween sets to make sure I get all my sets. Almost got 5x5 at 280lbs on Bench but needed help with the last rep on the last set. Can't wait until I drop down to 3x5.

Visceir

For those bulking (slow or otherwise), how much weight are you generally looking to put on a week?

I understand that there's a physical limit to how much muscle a body can gain per week, and that most of the upper numbers I see are generally understood to only be achievable via the use of steroids. To my knowledge, putting on much more than about a lb a week is generally considered just a way to get fat, but I'm no expert on the subject.

Any input?

I'm aiming for 500 g/week, that's close to a pound.

MrMuscle

Any input?

I aim for around 1kg a month.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Fucking hell, I lost 5 pounds!!! How the hell did that happen! I'm drinking protein shakes and eating lasagna for dinner!

Last week, I stopped my max bench press cuz my left shoudler suddenly gave out and started to hurt. Rested over the weekend, came back and pushed through a deload on the bench/squat both Mon and Wed. Shoulder is better.

Woke up today, goddamn left shoulder blade is on FIRE. Moving from a relaxed position to an upright position is a trip. Not exactly lookin forward to Bench/Squat/Deadlifts day tomorrow. If I don't come back, tell Sunflower I'm sorry for calling him fat, and I'm sorry FallingEdge is so fat

MrMuscle

Last week, I stopped my max bench press cuz my left shoudler suddenly gave out and started to hurt. Rested over the weekend, came back and pushed through a deload on the bench/squat both Mon and Wed. Shoulder is better.

Woke up today, goddamn left shoulder blade is on FIRE. Moving from a relaxed position to an upright position is a trip. Not exactly lookin forward to Bench/Squat/Deadlifts day tomorrow. If I don't come back, tell Sunflower I'm sorry for calling him fat, and I'm sorry FallingEdge is so fat

Be careful bro, better to skip a workout then having to skip a months worth.

Szu

An Asian allergic to shellfish? That's swful.

Yeah, imagine I'm at a big family dinner at some restaurant.

And stuff like this is sitting in front of you.

c9ce652f44a7ec22_m.jpg

7544271bd7d9eac3_m.jpg

China_Harbor_023.112124504_std.jpg

I might as well have a shellfish allergy for how much I hate the stuff. I guess that's what happens when you don't eat certain things growing up.

Szu

We all know allergies suck. The worst is when they kick in later in life. I was able to eat shellfish when i was a kid.

I also developed an allergy to cats too.

Edit: The cat comment is in reference to petting them.

Szu

I might as well have a shellfish allergy for how much I hate the stuff. I guess that's what happens when you don't eat certain things growing up.

I usually eat one shrimp, then I drown myself with chicken, pork, and beef for the next hour to keep myself from going into shock.

grumble

Fucking hell, I lost 5 pounds!!! How the hell did that happen! I'm drinking protein shakes and eating lasagna for dinner!

Protein shakes are low cal and lasagna in moderation wont't make up the difference? Also a difference in water weight, fecal matter etc can cause the swing.

Eating 'clean' food is so overrated. As long as you're eating mostly nutritious food and the rest falls into your macros, why not have a little fried chicken wings and ice cream? You only live once and it works perfectly fine!

Zoe

Running really doesn't burn that much in the grand scheme of things. You would need to be doing several miles every day to overcome a bad diet.

Groof

FitGAF, how do you deal with gym fatigue? For a week or so, instead of the usual feeling of working out because I want to, it's starting to feel more like a chore and filled with a sense of dread. I've tried to just do lower weights to just take it easy but still keep going, but it hasn't helped.
Should I take a break for a week or two?

grumble

Sorry. The strain from the situps(only do 10 and I cheat by being on a springy bed lol) isnt too bad.
I had a hernia removed a few months ago and I'm approaching it lightly.

A few months ago? Was this an inguinal hernia repair with a reinforcing mesh? I wouldn't be worried about it reopening after a few months if that is the case. I was back to full workouts after six weeks, and it was good for me as it kept the scar tissue from getting too uppity.

I guess there is always the risk of the other side going, but it'll go anyways in short order if one side went. Might as well get it over with. I told the doc to jam the mesh in the other side when he did the first one and I anticipate no problems from now on.

A mesh reinforced repair is generally seen as very stable.

CrankyJay

Banned
FitGAF, how do you deal with gym fatigue? For a week or so, instead of the usual feeling of working out because I want to, it's starting to feel more like a chore and filled with a sense of dread. I've tried to just do lower weights to just take it easy but still keep going, but it hasn't helped.

Depends. How long have you been going?

Some mornings I don't want to go and force myself and end up having a great workout and glad that I went.

If you've been going for a long while with no break, take one.

Szu

I would take a break. Maybe for a week. Any longer than that I might get a bit nasty.

Groof

Depends. How long have you been going?

Some mornings I don't want to go and force myself and end up having a great workout and glad that I went.

If you've been going for a long while with no break, take one.
Been working out seriously for some two years now, only breaks being when I'm sick or gone on short trips. Guess it's break time for me.

This happens to me, but for a different reason. Basically, when I start hitting my maxes during a new program, I don't feel so confident in going as I train on my own now. I've been doing 5x5 for the last 2 or so months, after a break from 5/3/1. All's good building up from 50% but now I'm reaching my max, I don't have the drive to jump out of bed anymore. Plus it's dark and freezing cold every morning, which doesn't help either.

But when I drag my ass down and have a good sesh, it's feels great. I've not had a break since April, but I don;t feel like I need one either. Switching programs is like a break, I suppose.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Watch a Brolic video or have Imm0rt4l post a pic so you realize how much farther you have to go.

Impossible to know without knowing you but I'd hazard a guess it has more to do with what's going on the other 23 hours of your day.

Petrie

Banned
Running really doesn't burn that much in the grand scheme of things. You would need to be doing several miles every day to overcome a bad diet.

You'd need to do a lot more than several miles to overcome a bad diet. You likely burn at best around 160 calories per mile, so 2 miles burns a small slice of pizza if you're lucky.

Groof

I would take a break. Maybe for a week. Any longer than that I might get a bit nasty.
Yeah that's what I was afraid of, it getting a habit. But will power has been strong before !
Watch a Brolic video or have Imm0rt4l post a pic so you realize how much farther you have to go.
Can't compete with gods, man.
Impossible to know without knowing you but I'd hazard a guess it has more to do with what's going on the other 23 hours of your day.
True. But would you in a similar situation take a break or would you keep going?

Yeah that's what I was afraid of, it getting a habit. But will power has been strong before !
Can't compete with gods, man.

True. But would you in a similar situation take a break or would you keep going?

For me I find a deload usually refreshes me enough but you said you already tried that. I wouldn't take more than 5 days completely off though, beyond that I end up having to deload anyways. 3-5 days usually helps me recover and I can jump right back where I left off, anything longer and I have to drop down a bit to complete my sets.

CrankyJay

Banned
birthday cheat....

beer
fried green tomatos
bbq shrimp
wings
deviled eggs
ribs
pulled pork
brisket
corn bread
beans
peanut butter pie
caramel cheesecake

ugh, got a buffalo sabres game tonight too. ready to tap out already.

entremet

Trying to. First time I've ever actively tried to put on weight... is strange.

It makes lifting fun. Gains are so easy on bulks. I'm talking about on adding weight to the bar.

First time I bulked I gained too much fat. Rookie mistake I needed to diet longer to get back to decent shape.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
birthday cheat....

beer
fried green tomatos
bbq shrimp
wings
deviled eggs
ribs
pulled pork
brisket
corn bread
beans
peanut butter pie
caramel cheesecake

ugh, got a buffalo sabres game tonight too. ready to tap out already.

Happy birthday! Minus the disgusting ass beer that is one hell of a menu. Have a good time!

entremet

Happy birthday! Minus the disgusting ass beer that is one hell of a menu. Have a good time!

Not a beer fan, Cooter?

For shame :p

I love me a good IPA, but I stay away mostly since beer is so damn high calorie. Twice a month is fine for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom