• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Not a beer fan, Cooter?

For shame :p

I love me a good IPA, but I stay away mostly since beer is so damn high calorie. Twice a month is fine for me.
It's my least favorite food or beverage on earth. Probably fortunate based on how many people love it. It may have something to do with the 18 Red Dogs I consumed when I was 13 and didn't stop puking until 2 full days after? Idk... Just taking a stab in the dark here!

CrankyJay

Banned
It's my least favorite food or beverage on earth. Probably fortunate based on how many people love it. It may have something to do with the 18 Red Dogs I consumed when I was 13 and didn't stop puking until 2 full days after? Idk... Just taking a stab in the dark here!

no wonder you're cut, you're impervious to the temptations of a good beer

J. Bravo

lolwut. how did u not pass out at like beer number 12??? at 18 beers now, i'd be blacked the fuck out and my friends would be tempted to call 911 if i started puking lol.

Cooter

lolwut. how did u not pass out at like beer number 12??? at 18 beers now, i'd be blacked the fuck out and my friends would be tempted to call 911 if i started puking lol.
I don't have a clue. It was the first time I ever drank too. I remember bits and pieces but it was a blur. It was at a friends brother's college party. Apparently I stripped down to my underwear and went swimming. Haha. Don't remember that at all! Couldn't score any college girls though. Damn!

For what it's worth I metabolize drugs well. When I was 5 I needed 3 times the novacain (sp) to get numb. It was cool when I was young for bragging purposes but now it just sucks. Needed 30mgs of percocet when I had my knee surgery just to take the edge off.

sphinx

the piano man
Any of you guys bulking now that its getting colder in the Northern Hemisphere?

I think my next concerted effort to bulk will begin in December. Until then I will clean my diet, lose a couple of kilos, try to work on endurance and get back some strength I lost due to injury which is now part of the past.

my first bulk, which was basically from the point I applied for a gym memebership 2 years ago to the next 12 months was succesful in the sense that I see radical senses really fast, but I didn't get a truly aesthetic body, I did see certain kind of gains but not the ones I was and still am looking for, so I have to step my game this time and pay attention to detail.

What I am certain of, is that I'll stay relatively far from carbs, in my personal opinion carbs are phenomenal for strength but if you care for aesthetics, they are awful, just my impresion though. Not sure, I have to come up with the plan, any ideas are welcome.

I am looking to put on 4 or 5 Kilo from december til late spring, about 1kg/2.2 lbs per month, I am currently 70 and want to see a solid no-water/feces/retention 75 kilo next March/April, not more. If I don't achieve that, then that's a massive failure. While I've been seeing certain body changes, what I want is size, but quality size. My bodyweight has remained constant so whatever the mirror or the pics want to convince me of, I've been maintaining, period. Time to take action.

and fuck fat in the lower back, I know I am 36 and should learn to live with it but fuck no, I refuse, I'll do whatever it takes to bring down that fat in the next 4 or 5 weeks, run, do Hiit, lift more, I don't care.

Only noticed this till recently but is there a reason why people "swing" or kinda "wiggle" their body when doing pullups? Sometimes even extending the chin so it clears the bar? My friend said it was some kind of crossfit or mma pullup, whatever that means.

Sadetar

I hope so! Keep going at it!

Tired arms nooooow... :( Haha.

Still eating ice cream though lmao. Oops. I have no will power against ice cream right now.
My diet was quite bad too for a while. Now I cleaned it, but since I have been freezing and down with energy I have added more carbs to it. I so shouldn't have. It doesn't show in scale, but I feel so bloated. Even if I have been eating quite good carbs, like rye bread and what not, it seems it just isn't for me. My skin doesn't look as good anymore and I just feel huge again. Ugh. Roots and veggies are better source and not eating that much of them to begin with so I guess I will go back to that (for a week, then it is my vacation and I will be happily fat again). I have hard time thinking that this used to be my normal state of being.

We all know allergies suck. The worst is when they kick in later in life. I was able to eat shellfish when i was a kid.

I also developed an allergy to cats too.
I think there is officially something badly wrong with me, since I don't even like shellfish. I think it is something to do with the texture and not that much with the taste though.

Edit: The cat comment is in reference to petting them.
Before I read this I was thinking that this must be some extremely gross Asian thing. :p

Thank you <3
<3

I blame this place for giving me unrealistic expectations about male body.
I love it.

birthday cheat....
HAPPY-BIRTHDAY-GIF-IMAGES-26.gif

no wonder you're cut, you're impervious to the temptations of a good beer
I can't drink any alcohol. Where are my cuts?

Crying on the inside.
Join the club Szu.

With that logic I should be extremely cut as well.

But nope.

you sure are good at getting stuffed with meat huh
This whole discussion has been so golden. I have been giggling like a little girl. :D

Cooter

Only noticed this till recently but is there a reason why people "swing" or kinda "wiggle" their body when doing pullups? Sometimes even extending the chin so it clears the bar? My friend said it was some kind of crossfit or mma pullup, whatever that means.
It makes them easier.

sphinx

the piano man
Glad it's not just me then. =/

most stubborn fat ever, but I shall prevail.

regarding pull-ups, what makes me wonder whether there's something odd going on is when people go from rep to rep in a continous movement.... It's not that there's a poor range of motion, but they definitely aren't hanging from their arms like in a starting position on each rep,

for each rep I do, I just hang down there in starting position for a sec. I just can't keep moving it's like restarting all over.

today I broke my unassited, unweighed, bodyweight-only Pull-up record by the way... 14 in a single set, (I call it 13.6 cause I didn't liek the last rep lol).

It makes them easier.

Growing up I was taught to keep your body straight. I just switched gyms from YMCA to 24hr and never seen anyone do swinging pullups at the four years I been going to the Y. Honestly I was a little confused seeing a good handful of people doing swinging pullups at 24.

Just did a search on Google and they are called kipping pullups. Seems like my friend wasn't joking about it being related to crossfit.

most stubborn fat ever, but I shall prevail.

regarding pull-ups, what makes me wonder whether there's something odd going on is when people go from rep to rep in a continous movement.... It's not that there's a poor range of motion, but they definitely aren't hanging from their arms like in a starting position on each rep,

for each rep I do, I just hang down there in starting position for a sec. I just can't keep moving it's like restarting all over.

today I broke my unassited, unweighed, bodyweight-only Pull-up record by the way... 14 in a single set, (I call it 13.6 cause I didn't liek the last rep lol).

Too be honest I'm not sure if I go all the way back to my starting position, but my arms are almost straight after each rep.

I been doing Lseated pullups lately. I try some tomorrow and really keep an eye on my start position after each rep.

Zoe

You'd need to do a lot more than several miles to overcome a bad diet. You likely burn at best around 160 calories per mile, so 2 miles burns a small slice of pizza if you're lucky.

I was thinking the 8+ mile range. At least over 1200 calories is a big deal for me. I would never do that more than once a week though, much less every day. Not just because of the time it eats up, but the toll it takes on your body.

TransTrender

Gold Member
I think I have been stuck in a catabolic state for like 3 years.
Any suggestions on how to get out of it?

Basically I think I have been catabolic for like 3 years because I would (typically) get the ammonia sweats after working out and I basically put on 30 lbs.

Was: 205 with 16% body fat.
Now: 235 with 20% body fat.
Want I want: 205 with 16% body fat.

Background: I never did big weight power lifting. Just freeweight and body resistance stuff. Overall it has always been easy for my body to put on muscle mass.

What I think I did wrong - Workout routine. I increased intensity, then I added running, then I increased the intensity of running, then I increased the duration of the running, then I dropped resistance training and went all cardio. Regardless of how long or hard I ran my weight went up and basically got fatter.

Things I tried to get out of it:

Maintaining calories and taking a break from working out. Breaks were like 2 weeks, 4 weeks, 1 month, and 2 months. Tried a few of these over the years.

Throwing diet out the window, maintain a relatively active lifestyle, but not explicitly working out for periods of 2 weeks, 4 weeks, 1 month, 2 months.

Increasing calories - various ratios of more fat, protein, and carbs. Right now I would say close to 50% of my calories are now from carbs, with the bulk of the balance being protein.

At this point it feels like I'm consuming more than enough calories, and carbs, to satisfy my body, but I still have the stink sweats and my weight still keeps going up.
My workout is pretty tame at this point. 3 or 4 time a week with 6 exercises, 3 sets of 10 reps, and then running for 2 miles + warmup and cooldown. Door to door is less than 1 hour.

Any suggestions? I have been Googling it but I haven't come across anything worth mentioning at this point.

I think I have been stuck in a catabolic state for like 3 years.
Any suggestions on how to get out of it?

Basically I think I have been catabolic for like 3 years because I would (typically) get the ammonia sweats after working out and I basically put on 30 lbs.

Was: 205 with 16% body fat.
Now: 235 with 20% body fat.
Want I want: 205 with 16% body fat.

Background: I never did big weight power lifting. Just freeweight and body resistance stuff. Overall it has always been easy for my body to put on muscle mass.

What I think I did wrong - Workout routine. I increased intensity, then I added running, then I increased the intensity of running, then I increased the duration of the running, then I dropped resistance training and went all cardio. Regardless of how long or hard I ran my weight went up and basically got fatter.

Things I tried to get out of it:

Maintaining calories and taking a break from working out. Breaks were like 2 weeks, 4 weeks, 1 month, and 2 months. Tried a few of these over the years.

Throwing diet out the window, maintain a relatively active lifestyle, but not explicitly working out for periods of 2 weeks, 4 weeks, 1 month, 2 months.

Increasing calories - various ratios of more fat, protein, and carbs. Right now I would say close to 50% of my calories are now from carbs, with the bulk of the balance being protein.

At this point it feels like I'm consuming more than enough calories, and carbs, to satisfy my body, but I still have the stink sweats and my weight still keeps going up.
My workout is pretty tame at this point. 3 or 4 time a week with 6 exercises, 3 sets of 10 reps, and then running for 2 miles + warmup and cooldown. Door to door is less than 1 hour.

Any suggestions? I have been Googling it but I haven't come across anything worth mentioning at this point.

Like most posts of this sort there is a serious lacking of specific details. If you want actual advice my first suggestion would be to post your actual routine and diet. What 6 exercises are you doing? How much weight are you using? Exactly what foods are you eating, 50% of your diet from carbs sounds like a fair bit.

In general though it seems pretty easy to pin point what caused your weight gain. You were taking breaks as big as 2 months and just continued to eat too many calories.

My advice would be the same that i would give most people. Stop throwing shit at the wall with regards to your diet and workout. Stop googling for random information that is probably terrible (not sure what you could even be googling for).

Start a structured program like the one in the OP and actually stick to it. Work out a diet that you can stick to reasonably well (lets face it we all cheat for the most part). There is a nutrition thread on GAF to help get you started and i'm sure there are people on in this thread who can give you advice as well. Also make sure you get enough sleep. You can still add in some cardio if you want but make sure you are getting enough calories and don't burn yourself out.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Like most posts of this sort there is a serious lacking of specific details. If you want actual advice my first suggestion would be to post your actual routine and diet. What 6 exercises are you doing? How much weight are you using? Exactly what foods are you eating, 50% of your diet from carbs sounds like a fair bit.

In general though it seems pretty easy to pin point what caused your weight gain. You were taking breaks as big as 2 months and just continued to eat too many calories.

My advice would be the same that i would give most people. Stop throwing shit at the wall with regards to your diet and workout. Stop googling for random information that is probably terrible (not sure what you could even be googling for).

Start a structured program like the one in the OP and actually stick to it. Work out a diet that you can stick to reasonably well (lets face it we all cheat for the most part). There is a nutrition thread on GAF to help get you started and i'm sure there are people on in this thread who can give you advice as well. Also make sure you get enough sleep. You can still add in some cardio if you want but make sure you are getting enough calories and don't burn yourself out.

Looks like I forgot the part where I also did a few stretches with reduced caloric intake, maintaining my normal workout routine, and weight still went up. Overall, regardless of what I have done, not just throwing shit at the wall but turning a knob, seeing what happens, and then turn it back and/or try something else...my overall weight keeps going up. Imagine a huge matrix of caloric intake, calorie sources, volume of exercise, intensity of exercise, and type of exercise.

When this started I was probably at 30% calories from carbs. Figuring that my body was still telling me it was burning muscles for energy I kept increasing the carb ratio.

Since I moved and I'm in temporary housing I don't have my weights and stuff so I'm using the facilities at the apartment. Basically one of those 'all in one' machines plus a treadmill. The plates on the machine doesn't have weights just numbers. Only been here for a few weeks and should be gone in a month.

After doing the resistance training I run 2 miles @ 8 min miles + warmup and cooldown.

1:
3x10 lat pulldown @ plate 10
3x10 'simulated' chin-up @ plate 12
3x10 'simulated' close grip pull-up @ plate 12

3x10 seated leg curl @ plate 12
3x10 seated knee extension @ plate 12
3x10 calf raise w/ belt + plate 8

2:
3x10 seated bench @ plate 11
3x10 military press @ plate 10
3x10 incline @ plate 10

3x10 standing curl @ plate 7
3x10 standing reverse curl @ plate 7
3x10 tricep press @ plate 6

3:
3x10 seated rows @ plate 10
3x10 bent-over row @ plate 10
3x10 lat raise w/ 20lb dumbells

3x10 Flys @ plate 8
3x10 Reverse flys @ plate 6
3x10 hammer curls w/ 20lb dumbells

Prior to this for the past few years I would make a workout from a pool of exercises:
4 exercises @ 16-14-12-10-8-6 reps with a break at the end of each round.
2 ab exercises after finishing that (30 reps/30 sec/1 min/whatever it called for).
Maybe 1-2 from a pool of 'pull-up' like exercises 3x10, prymaid, 30 sec, 1 min, whatever it called for.
Running - ranging from 2 miles @ 8 min miles and up to 4 miles (+ warmup and cooldown).

Diet: I basically cook breakfast, lunch, and dinner with recipes pulled from various websites that have a modern and healthy approach. Typically remove the ingredients that are empty calories or just decadent calorie bombs. For carbs I would try to replace what they recommend with something that has a lower glycemic index, or reduce the amount that it calls for replace with more healthier vegetables.

Nothing processed. Just about everything is made from 'whole' ingredients. Same for snacks. I also have protein powder + milk if I need it. Since I make everything I know how many calories and what percent are carbs/fat/protein.

demented

Quick question:

I'm around 85 kg right now (haven't weighed myself in a while but don't have a scale at the moment) and I'm around 183-4 cm tall. I've gained some weight over summer and fall due to not working out anymore and I moved so been eating shit food but I want to start going to gym on Monday again. I plan on doing 5x5 routine for strength and later switch to something less time consuming and more focused on aesthetics over strength. But since I've gained some weight I really want to get rid of that so my question would be if I should start cutting right away until I drop some fat I've gained that has caused some clothes to become tighter, or should I start clean bulk and hope I burn it off? My worry is if I start with cutting I won't have energy to progress through 5x5 like I should be?

Longer question:

Since I'm living alone finally I have more freedom when it comes to food now, but also I have no idea what my diet should consist of. I've been reading a bit and got some ideas but I still don't know. Based on answer on question above I'll know if I should cut or bulk, and that's +- 500 on my daily calorie intake, and my TDEE is around 3000. My problem is I have no idea what to eat. I'm thinking oats, whey, eggs, chicken(breasts?), fish(what kind, made how?, canned tuna with veggies ok?), broccoli, cauliflower? Need more kinds of food I can eat, preferably not to eat same things every day or every other day, like 10 eggs every day and stuff like that. Then it comes to portions, I'm ready to make all the meals for next or two next days ahead but I don't know about portions, sizes, grams etc. So please help me out with that I really wanna change and get more serious both about lifting and my looks that will result from it and proper diet.

Szu

Quick question:

I'm around 85 kg right now (haven't weighed myself in a while but don't have a scale at the moment) and I'm around 183-4 cm tall. I've gained some weight over summer and fall due to not working out anymore and I moved so been eating shit food but I want to start going to gym on Monday again. I plan on doing 5x5 routine for strength and later switch to something less time consuming and more focused on aesthetics over strength. But since I've gained some weight I really want to get rid of that so my question would be if I should start cutting right away until I drop some fat I've gained that has caused some clothes to become tighter, or should I start clean bulk and hope I burn it off? My worry is if I start with cutting I won't have energy to progress through 5x5 like I should be?

Longer question:

Since I'm living alone finally I have more freedom when it comes to food now, but also I have no idea what my diet should consist of. I've been reading a bit and got some ideas but I still don't know. Based on answer on question above I'll know if I should cut or bulk, and that's +- 500 on my daily calorie intake, and my TDEE is around 3000. My problem is I have no idea what to eat. I'm thinking oats, whey, eggs, chicken(breasts?), fish(what kind, made how?, canned tuna with veggies ok?), broccoli, cauliflower? Need more kinds of food I can eat, preferably not to eat same things every day or every other day, like 10 eggs every day and stuff like that. Then it comes to portions, I'm ready to make all the meals for next or two next days ahead but I don't know about portions, sizes, grams etc. So please help me out with that I really wanna change and get more serious both about lifting and my looks that will result from it and proper diet.

Just my two cents, stick with clean bulk for now.

agrajag

Banned
I swear squats and deadlifts are making my cakes grow. At the very least, they are getting a work out, as they are pretty sore after doing those two lifts, especially the deadlift.

Szu

I swear squats and deadlifts are making my cakes grow. At the very least, they are getting a work out, as they are pretty sore after doing those two lifts, especially the deadlift.

I'm assuming you mean calves. If not, then a good workout will compliment a good appetite. I guess cakes are a good choice.

Szu

Haha! Sometimes my phone's auto correct will make my posts more amusing than they should be.

On a serious note, depending on the depth of your squat and the drive in your dead, everything under your knee is getting hit except your toes.

Don't hit your toes.

Growing up I was taught to keep your body straight. I just switched gyms from YMCA to 24hr and never seen anyone do swinging pullups at the four years I been going to the Y. Honestly I was a little confused seeing a good handful of people doing swinging pullups at 24.

Just did a search on Google and they are called kipping pullups. Seems like my friend wasn't joking about it being related to crossfit.

Too be honest I'm not sure if I go all the way back to my starting position, but my arms are almost straight after each rep.

I been doing Lseated pullups lately. I try some tomorrow and really keep an eye on my start position after each rep.

you're not impressed? lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp7-5gbtfOY

Booties

Banned
Hit 300 lbs in my DL a week ago. Max benched 185x2 yesterday. Feeling good since I missed the last week. Gotta get in winter/lumberjack shape.

It doesn't really look healthy for your shoulders. The main thing i noticed though was those blisters, damn. Like do they have to take a few days off after they do something like that, i don't think it's worth fucking your hands up like that.

Crossfit madlibs!

It doesn't really look healthy for your [BODY PART(S)]. The main thing i noticed though was [INJURY], damn. Like do they have to take a few days off after they do something like that, i don't think it's worth fucking your [BODY PART(S)] up like that.

Booties

Banned
Why I won't do kipping pull ups.

pull_up_fail-58062.gif

This sends chills down my spine. In college I had a shower curtain bar fall off. It was a cheap looking metal rod like the one in the gif. When I was trying to put it back in it snapped in my hand and cut my wrist pretty badly. It wasn't deep enough to cut any arteries/veins, but it was bloody as fuck. Scared the shit out of me. Haven't showered since.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom