• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cagey

Banned
birthday cheat....

beer
fried green tomatos
bbq shrimp
wings
deviled eggs
ribs
pulled pork
brisket
corn bread
beans
peanut butter pie
caramel cheesecake

ugh, got a buffalo sabres game tonight too. ready to tap out already.

Had a birthday yesterday too, I allowed myself 1/3rd of a giant cookie cake. May or may not have eaten all the icing from the rest of the pieces too.

Wedding tasting tomorrow: cake in the morning, cocktail hour + dinner tasting in the afternoon. Then my family wants to have a cake that I will have to politely accept the smallest of slivers.

All my leaning out gains are officially alreadydead.jpg

How in the fuck can you get any kind of decent macro ratios as a vegan? The only protein source that doesn't have 3-4x as much carbs as protein, or fat as protein, is soy, which everyone says is a terrible idea.

Even as ovo-vegetarian, it seems like there are only so many eggs you can eat in a day.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
My top 3 candy bars:

Baby Ruth
Twix
Whatchamacallit

Because I know everyone was dying to know! Ha.

Szu

My top 3 candy bars:

Baby Ruth
Twix
Whatchamacallit

Sloth-baby-ruth-Pirate.jpg

sphinx

the piano man
DEFINITION! YAAAAY
SKINNY! NOOOO
DEFINITION! YAAAAY
SKINNY! NOOOO
DEFINITION! YAAAAY
SKINNY! NOOOO
DEFINITION! YAAAAY
SKINNY! NOOOO

Fuck lean gains, seriously, I can't wait to see the changes I want in my body and start eating like I mean it, but this time healthier things.

Fitness life is so much more fun eating ridiculous quantities of calories, truthfact.

Twix
Whatchamacallit

THIS, those two are the absolute best. High five Cooter

there was one with a silver/blue/white color wrap named ZERO, that was good too. had some weird nougat or stuff I liked a lot, US-only so I have mostly memories of it. Same with Whatchamacallit, but that one you can buy it in most airports, so whenever I am in transit its one whatchamacallit for me.

Zero is rare, haven't seen it in US airports.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
DEFINITION! YAAAAY
SKINNY! NOOOO
DEFINITION! YAAAAY
SKINNY! NOOOO
DEFINITION! YAAAAY
SKINNY! NOOOO
DEFINITION! YAAAAY
SKINNY! NOOOO

Fuck lean gains, seriously, I can't wait to see the changes I want in my body and start eating like I mean it, but this time healthier things.

Fitness life is so much more fun eating ridiculous quantities of calories, truthfact.

THIS, those two are the absolute best. High five Cooter

there was one with a silver/blue/white color wrap named ZERO, that was good too. had some weird nougat or stuff I liked a lot, US-only so I have mostly memories of it. Same with Whatchamacallit, but that one you can buy it in most airports, so whenever I am in transit its one whatchamacallit for me.

Zero is rare, haven't seen it in US airports.
Wow! You are my candy bar soulmate. I typed out honorable mention for Zero bar but erased it. Nice!

I'm really liking doing tabata intervals after lifting... even if the idea of them makes me feel physically sick. Can't do them every day (would destroy me), but I'm alternating them one day on, one off, with a recovery spin on the alternate days.

J. Bravo

i wish i could eat on these meds. i'm hungry but don't want to eat. it's weird. and i'm about to go lift with this girl from class. so it's not like i'll need the energy.

hey-ooooooo jk jk

J. Bravo

I think the weights at the gym I lifted at today are heavier. My grip is fuckin shot and 3x4 @ 205 on bench was hard. I could barely open my car door lol.

Sadetar

EDIT: It seems I managed to delete the start of my post so I needed to type it in again.

I met my physiotherapist today. It was glorious. She made a me a new gym program that I did today while she showed me how to do everything properly. Now I just need to seriously look very carefully that I am doing everything right and that my form is correct all the time so I don't fuck my back (again).

It takes way shorter time than my previous one and basicly I do it twice a week (plus once a week pilates and once or twice a week Nordic walking / jogging).

Even though it is shorter it feels definitely more effective than my old one with machines. This one doesn't have any machines (except warm up and cooldown are with crosstrainer). I am so dead right now after doing it the first time and muscles I didn't know/remember I own are totally sore and hurting. I can only imagine in what kind of agony I will be tomorrow. I love this already. :D

What do you think about this (I do it twice a week like I said):

5-10 minutes with a crosstrainer
couple quick stretches with a wooden stick (behind back and to the sides)

Back squat 2-3 x 10 repetitions
Bench press with dumbbells 2-3 x 10 repetitions
Romanian deadlift 2-3 x 10 repetitions
Dumbbell bent-over row 2-3 x 10 repetitions
Walking lunges 2-3 x 5 repetitions per leg (10 meters)
Shoulder press with dumbbells 2-3 x 10 repetitions

If I weel like it I can step back and forth to step board in the end 2 x 20 repetitions with both legs.
10-20 minutes with a crosstrainer
stretches

Let me tell you, I don't know the upper limit of how many hot dogs I can cram in my mouth.

tobias_meatymanparts1.gif
Your posts always give me this warm and fuzzy feeling and melt my heart. <3

And yes, they also make me giggle like a little girl.

You are awesome. :D

Looks like I forgot the part where I also did a few stretches with reduced caloric intake, maintaining my normal workout routine, and weight still went up. Overall, regardless of what I have done, not just throwing shit at the wall but turning a knob, seeing what happens, and then turn it back and/or try something else...my overall weight keeps going up. Imagine a huge matrix of caloric intake, calorie sources, volume of exercise, intensity of exercise, and type of exercise.

When this started I was probably at 30% calories from carbs. Figuring that my body was still telling me it was burning muscles for energy I kept increasing the carb ratio.

Since I moved and I'm in temporary housing I don't have my weights and stuff so I'm using the facilities at the apartment. Basically one of those 'all in one' machines plus a treadmill. The plates on the machine doesn't have weights just numbers. Only been here for a few weeks and should be gone in a month.

After doing the resistance training I run 2 miles @ 8 min miles + warmup and cooldown.

1:
3x10 lat pulldown @ plate 10
3x10 'simulated' chin-up @ plate 12
3x10 'simulated' close grip pull-up @ plate 12

3x10 seated leg curl @ plate 12
3x10 seated knee extension @ plate 12
3x10 calf raise w/ belt + plate 8

2:
3x10 seated bench @ plate 11
3x10 military press @ plate 10
3x10 incline @ plate 10

3x10 standing curl @ plate 7
3x10 standing reverse curl @ plate 7
3x10 tricep press @ plate 6

3:
3x10 seated rows @ plate 10
3x10 bent-over row @ plate 10
3x10 lat raise w/ 20lb dumbells

3x10 Flys @ plate 8
3x10 Reverse flys @ plate 6
3x10 hammer curls w/ 20lb dumbells

Prior to this for the past few years I would make a workout from a pool of exercises:
4 exercises @ 16-14-12-10-8-6 reps with a break at the end of each round.
2 ab exercises after finishing that (30 reps/30 sec/1 min/whatever it called for).
Maybe 1-2 from a pool of 'pull-up' like exercises 3x10, prymaid, 30 sec, 1 min, whatever it called for.
Running - ranging from 2 miles @ 8 min miles and up to 4 miles (+ warmup and cooldown).

Diet: I basically cook breakfast, lunch, and dinner with recipes pulled from various websites that have a modern and healthy approach. Typically remove the ingredients that are empty calories or just decadent calorie bombs. For carbs I would try to replace what they recommend with something that has a lower glycemic index, or reduce the amount that it calls for replace with more healthier vegetables.

Nothing processed. Just about everything is made from 'whole' ingredients. Same for snacks. I also have protein powder + milk if I need it. Since I make everything I know how many calories and what percent are carbs/fat/protein.
This may seem hard but just
image.php

I am thinking are you even being serious and I definitely hope not. Still, if you are you have had one or two good answer in here already about you needing a good structured program.

And sweetie, it definitely looks like you don't know what you are doing and need that program. Try not to use the machines, but do free weights instead. If you don't have an access to a proper gym, do body weight exercises. Pick one program and stick to it. It might take months to start to see a good progress, but the gains will come.

Also how did you decide your body was using your muscles for energy? What you need is proteins and good fats. I have been losing weight and gaining a bit of muscles with quite strict carb intake. I recommend this to you as well. Eat a bit more on your work out days compared to the rest days. Running actually doesn't use as much energy as you think. If you want to lose weight, you need to very carefully look your diet.

You know exactly how many calories have in a day. Would you care to share that information with us as well? This would help us a bit to help you.

If you want results, you obviously need to change what you are doing at the moment, since it isn't working. I would recommend you to read the OP and follow the instructions given in here so you don't end up waisting your time. I wish you the motivation to get through the hard times so you can start to flourish. :)

...what did I just watch... :D

Hit 300 lbs in my DL a week ago. Max benched 185x2 yesterday. Feeling good since I missed the last week. Gotta get in winter/lumberjack shape.
It won't be complete without beard.
This.

And we (or at least I) demand photographic evidence of this upcoming lumberjack look. ;)

This sends chills down my spine. In college I had a shower curtain bar fall off. It was a cheap looking metal rod like the one in the gif. When I was trying to put it back in it snapped in my hand and cut my wrist pretty badly. It wasn't deep enough to cut any arteries/veins, but it was bloody as fuck. Scared the shit out of me. Haven't showered since.
Hahah, I just need to say, I loved this post. Awesome story and touching ending.

I am also being serious, I really loved it. :D

How does one accidentally eat a chocolate bar?
It just happens. It is a reflex. If I see a defenceless chocolate bar out of its natural environment out in the open my predator senses just kick in and I have destroyed it before I even realized what happened. Survival instincts you know.

Had a birthday yesterday too, I allowed myself 1/3rd of a giant cookie cake. May or may not have eaten all the icing from the rest of the pieces too.

Wedding tasting tomorrow: cake in the morning, cocktail hour + dinner tasting in the afternoon. Then my family wants to have a cake that I will have to politely accept the smallest of slivers.

All my leaning out gains are officially alreadydead.jpg
On the positive side of things, cakes are awesome and it is definitely worth it. :p

Also late congratulations! Hopefully your birthday was as awesome as it sounds like. :D

My top 3 candy bars:

Baby Ruth
Twix
Whatchamacallit

Twix <3

I even remember the glorious times they were still called Raiders.

I also needed to google is Whatchamacallit a valid name for something. :D Hahah, now I just want to try out Baby Ruths and those Whatcahamacallits. :p

all the gains, friends

feeling oh so jacked, ready to make 2015 my best year ever
<3

Pics? ;)

Tabata Intervals (20s flat out, 10s coasting recovery). Pain lives here:

B04F6MF.png

I've grown to physically dread doing these. It takes a special sort of fucked in the head to intentionally go through that sort of pain. By the 6th set my world is imploding, by the 8th all I can feel is burning everywhere. Amazed I've not been sick yet.

Edit - Lost weight this week. Way to bulk noob. :(

TransTrender

Gold Member
I am thinking are you even being serious and I definitely hope not. Still, if you are you have had one or two good answer in here already about you needing a good structured program.

And sweetie, it definitely looks like you don't know what you are doing and need that program. Try not to use the machines, but do free weights instead. If you don't have an access to a proper gym, do body weight exercises. Pick one program and stick to it. It might take months to start to see a good progress, but the gains will come.

Right now this is all I have in temporary housing and I'm working with what I got. I doubt any of the places around here will let me join their gym for a month. For the past few years, and shuffling the exercises on average every 6 months, this was my regimen 4 days a week:

4 exercises @ 16-14-12-10-8-6 reps with a 15-30 second break at the end of each round.
2 ab exercises after finishing that (30 reps/30 sec/1 min/whatever it called for).
Maybe 1-2 from a pool of 'pull-up' like exercises 3x10, prymaid, 30 sec, 1 min, whatever it called for.
Running - ranging from 2 miles @ 8 min miles and up to 4 miles (+ warmup and cooldown).

Everything was free weights and body resistance stuff.

Also how did you decide your body was using your muscles for energy? What you need is proteins and good fats. I have been losing weight and gaining a bit of muscles with quite strict carb intake. I recommend this to you as well. Eat a bit more on your work out days compared to the rest days. Running actually doesn't use as much energy as you think. If you want to lose weight, you need to very carefully look your diet.
The terrible ammonia sweats after working out, combined with not much growth in muscle mass and gaining much more body fat.

Diet usually is proteins and good fats. Prior to this I was on a low carb diet and everything was working well, but when the ammonia sweats and weight gain started I thought that was my body telling me to eat more carbs because it was cannibalizing muscle.

I was planning on going back to a strict carb diet next week but I posted here first to get some other suggestions on what is happening.

You know exactly how many calories have in a day. Would you care to share that information with us as well? This would help us a bit to help you.
6'2" approximately 235 lbs and 20% body fat, office work during the day, relatively active and outdoorsy (outside of working out) after work and weekends doing hobbies and stuff.
The daily average right now is 2200 calories.

If you want results, you obviously need to change what you are doing at the moment, since it isn't working.
Indeed. I have been turning the knobs of calories, calorie sources, rest, volume/intensity of exercises, and types of exercises for like three years and the flab just keeps coming.

I wish you the motivation to get through the hard times so you can start to flourish. :)
Thanks, and I'm motivated as fuck. I have been trying to crawl out of this hole for a long time and hitting 235 (average weight) is forcing me to re-double my efforts.

Im so narrow and my back genetics are complete shit despite being my most impressive lifts. DL 315 x3 and hypertrophy my way down. 95lbs weighted pull ups X5 too. But I love training back

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
So I really need to up my protein intake and I've been looking toward tuna.

However, I heard you can get mercury poisoning from eating such things. Is this true or another one of those old wives tales?

J. Bravo

Im so narrow and my back genetics are complete shit despite being my most impressive lifts. DL 315 x3 and hypertrophy my way down. 95lbs weighted pull ups X5 too. But I love training back

maybe you're using more bicep in the pullups. ps deadlifts aren't all you need to do for a wide back. it does hit every muscle but you can't expect to get a ton of size that it sounds like you're looking for without doing like lat pulldowns, rows, wide grip pullups, etc. and the pullup number is very impressive, but maybe you should experiment with like 5 sets of 20 or something idk.

Leeness

My diet was quite bad too for a while. Now I cleaned it, but since I have been freezing and down with energy I have added more carbs to it. I so shouldn't have. It doesn't show in scale, but I feel so bloated. Even if I have been eating quite good carbs, like rye bread and what not, it seems it just isn't for me. My skin doesn't look as good anymore and I just feel huge again. Ugh. Roots and veggies are better source and not eating that much of them to begin with so I guess I will go back to that (for a week, then it is my vacation and I will be happily fat again). I have hard time thinking that this used to be my normal state of being.

Haha I'm generally good but I just have such a sweet tooth. It's really awful. It's like...healthy, healthy, healthy, ICE CREAM, healthy.

Arrrrg push ups. So awful.

So I've started a kind of intermittent fast...kind of? I don't eat until around 1:00 pm now and stop at around 8:00 at night. It's kind of the wuss version of fasting I guess, since it's mostly over night. Is there a better way to do it? Should I do it every day? Or do a longer one every few days?

So I really need to up my protein intake and I've been looking toward tuna.

However, I heard you can get mercury poisoning from eating such things. Is this true or another one of those old wives tales?

It is true that it has a lot of mercury. It's effects on health depend on the person, especially on how well the kidneys will get rid of it, so one may actually never see any effect. I have seen safe consumption varies wildly from 2 cans per week to 1 can everyday tops. I just saw in another thread you should not eat it more than once a month, so in that regard there is no consensus. I would say to alternate seafood (because lots of them have heavy metals) everyday with something else just to feel safe if you want to make it a staple in your diet.

So I've started a kind of intermittent fast...kind of? I don't eat until around 1:00 pm now and stop at around 8:00 at night. It's kind of the wuss version of fasting I guess, since it's mostly over night. Is there a better way to do it? Should I do it every day? Or do a longer one every few days?

Sounds like a fairly normal type of intermittent fasting to me. I've seen lots of people say that women are better on 14/10 or 15/11 then anything else though. You seem to be on 17/7.

You might want to read some of the intermittent fasting guides:

http://www.leangains.com/2010/04/leangains-guide.html
http://rippedbody.jp/faq/

This link describes a few different types:

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/intermittent-fasting/summary

demented

I've decided to do keto and cut the fat I've gained over summer because I really really can't stand it, and some pants have gotten too tight for my liking(aka can't wear them without looking bad) so yeah cut is on for a while.
Any place where I can find list of what I can eat or suggested menus, possibly with calories so I can make proper week plan and make food in advance?

Besides whey, any other supplements I should get to further along my fat loss? I'm on a tight budget and whey alone is expensive..

maybe you're using more bicep in the pullups. ps deadlifts aren't all you need to do for a wide back. it does hit every muscle but you can't expect to get a ton of size that it sounds like you're looking for without doing like lat pulldowns, rows, wide grip pullups, etc. and the pullup number is very impressive, but maybe you should experiment with like 5 sets of 20 or something idk.

I do them all. Bent over rows, lat pulldowns, seated rows etc. I work back 2x a week too. My sets range from 5+ on DL and lat pulldowns/pull ups and 3-5 sets for everything else.

Can anyone tell me any chest exercises that are REALLY isolated on the chest. When I finish my chest workout it always feels like where I can really feel it is just on the inside of my shoulder (where my collar bone meets my shoulder) and a little on my upper outside pec.

So far I seem to be unable to find an exercise that I end up feeling on the middle of the chest or underside of the chest. I've tried decline bench / push ups, but I find I have to do them first in my workout as by the end I'm lucky to manage any weight / significant reps at all on them.

Powercast

Can anyone tell me any chest exercises that are REALLY isolated on the chest. When I finish my chest workout it always feels like where I can really feel it is just on the inside of my shoulder (where my collar bone meets my shoulder) and a little on my upper outside pec.

So far I seem to be unable to find an exercise that I end up feeling on the middle of the chest or underside of the chest. I've tried decline bench / push ups, but I find I have to do them first in my workout as by the end I'm lucky to manage any weight / significant reps at all on them.

Paused Bench.

NEO0MJ

I feel like I tire way too fast at the gym. Maybe it's because I'm sickle-cell. Any tips to conserving energy and strength throughout a workout? I usually do 10 minutes jogging before and 15 minutes on the bike after I finish lifting.

Yeah, I'm not so sure I do them right as well.

Titans of GAF Olympus, I come with a plea for your help.

Since my left meniscus is still recovering, compound lifts (benchpress,standing overheadpress, deadlift, squats etc. etc.) or/and any type of lifts that involve leg drive are for the following 6 weeks (1,5~2 months) currently out of the question. I want to approach this rationally, without risking to prolong or further damage the speed of recovery.

But Instead of sitting on my flat ass and do nothing, I ask if any of you know a decent, strictly upper-body routine which can temporarily substitute a strength routine: Texas method routine.

If I can not do a fullbody workout routine, then I will at least be a curlbro for the time being.

Pakoe

? Your favorite...

Pre workout
Post workout
Protien supplement

Go.

I use my own mix of l-arginine powder, beta alanine powder and caffeine.
I just eat.
Local dutch brand which does the work.

I fell in love with cable chest workouts again, it gives me the pump that bench pressing used to give me. Just focus on the chest and squeeze that shit tight.

Should probably have specified that I don't have access to cables.

Only have barbells / dumbells / power rack / bench.

...though I do have some seriously heavy duty resistance bands. Wonder if I could rig something up with those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom