• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Update time. I've been running quite a bit lately and kept my diet in check. I'm down almost sixty pounds, which sounds ridiculous to me, but it's the goddamn truth. I had to face facts - a "bulk" was a good excuse to be strong and fat.

So right now I'm at 255. @ 6'7". And I'm very happy so far. Don't know why I felt the need to post about it since it's not helpful to people, but you folks have always been really supportive and great through the beginning and more of my Muscle Quest. I will go back to it after I enjoy the lean life some more.

Mentally I'm still fucked though, and my therapy isn't supported by my goddamn insurance so I'm in a bit of a hole. Sucks, because it was helping. Still DOES help, I just can't go back to it, and that's upsetting. Not really fitness related.

Update time. I've been running quite a bit lately and kept my diet in check. I'm down almost sixty pounds, which sounds ridiculous to me, but it's the goddamn truth. I had to face facts - a "bulk" was a good excuse to be strong and fat.

So right now I'm at 255. @ 6'7". And I'm very happy so far. Don't know why I felt the need to post about it since it's not helpful to people, but you folks have always been really supportive and great through the beginning and more of my Muscle Quest. I will go back to it after I enjoy the lean life some more.

Mentally I'm still fucked though, and my therapy isn't supported by my goddamn insurance so I'm in a bit of a hole. Sucks, because it was helping. Still DOES help, I just can't go back to it, and that's upsetting. Not really fitness related.

In this thread, we obviously focus on fitness in terms of our physical selves, but I certainly think that mental fitness is very important. It's a bummer, to say the least, that you can't get your insurance to work with you. Did the therapist you were working with give you anything you can do at home to try and improve yourself? If not, any chance you could call them, explain the situation, and ask if they have any advice?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
In this thread, we obviously focus on fitness in terms of our physical selves, but I certainly think that mental fitness is very important. It's a bummer, to say the least, that you can't get your insurance to work with you. Did the therapist you were working with give you anything you can do at home to try and improve yourself? If not, any chance you could call them, explain the situation, and ask if they have any advice?

Yeah she's sent me away with a lot of stuff to do in my time away, but I know therapy is a long, long road. She's gotta get paid too. This Monday I'll be saying "hey I can't afford this" and see what happens.

frontieruk

Sorry to hear that :( at least the therapy is helping you, my insurance covered my therapy, three therapists later I actually asked them to stop sending me to them as they weren't improving my demeaner, well the first one kind of did in saying there's actually nothing I can teach you, that you aren't already doing to work through the accident, prescribing drugs would just be counter productive. I thought I was off that roller coaster at that point, I hope something can be arranged for you though as you are responding positively to it.

Hit 295x1 on deadlifts today. 315 is in sight!

We're gonna make it bro (I'm at 295 for 6)!

Power shrugs are wrecking my upper traps, been doing them for over a month and I'm still getting sore the next day. Fun times! For the first time ever they actually are starting to look a little bigger but I've been focusing on back a lot (for posture as well as vanity)

Heysoos

So I'm having some issues that's got me a little worried. I'm hoping to go see someone soon, but in the mean time I guess I'll post here. I've been dealing some pain somewhere between my right hamstring and glute. It's most apparent during squatting and deadlifting. It doesn't really affect any of my day to day activities and the only time I've noticed it when I wasn't lifting was when I sit with my wallet, so I've resorted to keeping my wallet in my backpack for the time being. Any thoughts on what it could be? :/ It's really bumming me out. I probably should have completely stopped once it started hurting but I kept going. So I probably aggravated whatever I have even more.

I was told by a friend of mine who works as a trainer to use a foam roller. I'll try that tonight with a tennis ball.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Swolfie because I love the mirror at work.

Need to work on my biceps, my arms are 17.5-18" and they look small. Maybe the traps are overpowering :/

meCZ12a.jpg

GrapeApes

Ego got boosted at work today. Took off my coat went to the bathroom and came back. Some lady noticed and told my coworker "He's got a body on him under that coat. Shit." Of course this lady like 50 something. Only wish younger broads were saying this out loud.

You shouldnt be spending more than one hour on your workout routine.

I disagree with this statement. I mean, I think on average 45-60 minutes is considered optimal for a training session, but there's certainly wiggle room in that. I think there are a few people in this very thread that regularly lift for 90 minutes at a time and seem perfectly healthy and quite strong.

Oh I will add that yeah, regularly doing 3 hours of lifting is probably a waste of time for all but maybe 0.01% of the lifting population.

I disagree with this statement. I mean, I think on average 45-60 minutes is considered optimal for a training session, but there's certainly wiggle room in that. I think there are a few people in this very thread that regularly lift for 90 minutes at a time and seem perfectly healthy and quite strong.

Oh I will add that yeah, regularly doing 3 hours of lifting is probably a waste of time for all but maybe 0.01% of the lifting population.

Imo 1 hour accumulates for the total estimated time spent spread across all exercises. Pauses inbetween sets will naturally start to stretch the heavier you lift in order to fully recharge and perform to one's personal maximum capability.

Also I went by the assumption that the addressed poster is a beginner. Imo 3 hours for a beginner workout seems needlessly unecessary and an inefficient use of time.

Of course eveybody has an individual unique composition and starting point that may challenge or inhibit a timely efficient workout, which in return may require extra time fully complete. But imo a sum of 60 minutes performance seems like a reasonable standard.

McLovin

Anyone in here doing keto? It pushed me to get the lowest I've ever been 240 25% body fat (I'm 6'1"), but I lost some strength(not that much) and stamina(lost a lot here). Also recovery seems to take longer, but it manage to push through and work out 5 days a week. I haven't done any refeeding since I started like 2 months ago until today. I got a little desperate since I've been stuck for 2 weeks at the same weight. Does anyone know if it's better to eat carbs on heavy workout days or to just do a carb day once a week? Internet has a bunch of conflicting opinions. I'm not sure what to trust :/

Imo 1 hour accumulates for the total estimated time spent spread across all exercises. Pauses inbetween sets will naturally start to stretch the heavier you lift in order to fully recharge and perform to one's personal maximum capability.

Also I went by the assumption that the addressed poster is a beginner. Imo 3 hours for a beginner workout seems needlessly unecessary and an inefficient use of time.

Yes, I definitely agree three hours is unnecessary for a beginner. Probably unnecessary for almost anyone even.

Of course eveybody has an individual unique composition and starting point that may challenge or inhibit a timely efficient workout, which in return may require extra time fully complete. But imo a sum of 60 minutes performance seems like a reasonable standard.

I guess I needed to be more clear, but I'm agreeing with you in that 60 minutes is a pretty good goal for a lifting session. I just didn't like the idea of a blanket statement that more than one hour is bad in all cases, which is how I interpreted your first post. I basically just wanted to say that there are exceptions and absolutely people can push a lifting session beyond 60 minutes given their goals, nutrition, fitness level, routine, etc.

Matugi

Whatever semblance of abs I had is gone, but I don't give a shit, that's some summer shit. My only goal right now is to lift big as fuck and get big as fuck and go full mountain man. Bitches love mountain man. My ex-girlfriend hated mountain man, that's why she's my ex (also because she was insane, but that's another story)

162.5 lbs of carnage

Evo X

Hey guys and gals, this is my first time posting here. I was going to wait until I was stronger, but just wanted to introduce myself to you lovely folks and thought I'd share my progress update.

I randomly clicked on this thread a little over a month ago and decided to start doing the Starting Strength program. I just want to thank everyone because I've gotten a lot stronger than I thought I could, especially in such a short amount of time!

I have mainly been focusing on lower body, but throwing in some benching, bicep curls, and military shoulder presses into the workout as well.

I'm a pretty small guy. 25 years old, 5'8" and 156lbs.

This is what I was lifting the first day when I was totally out of shape. Keep in mind I never did squats before in my life and was mostly focusing on perfecting form.

Squat – 65lbs 5x3
Bench Press – 85lbs 5x3
Deadlift – 85lbs 5x1

This is what I just lifted tonight.

Squat – 165lbs 5x3
Bench Press – 115lbs 5x3
Deadlift – 185lbs 5x1

Holy Shit. I mean, I know that doesn't seem like much compared to some of you beasts and greek gods in this thread, but that kind of progress is insane from my point of view.

Is this normal?

Not doing anything special except for trying to eat better and get decent sleep. Only supplements I'm using are protein shakes, creatine, daily vitamin, and fish oil.

The lifts are getting much more difficult, so how much should I slow down at this point? I could also use some tips for upper body exercises as I feel that's what I should start focusing on.

Thanks Again!

Whatever semblance of abs I had is gone, but I don't give a shit, that's some summer shit. My only goal right now is to lift big as fuck and get big as fuck and go full mountain man. Bitches love mountain man. My ex-girlfriend hated mountain man, that's why she's my ex (also because she was insane, but that's another story)

162.5 lbs of carnage

Looking flat out awesome on the last pic m8. What is your benchpress milestone atm?

TransTrender

Gold Member
Well, it seems you are soon moving out again and getting perhaps more permanent place so you can go back to gym again. Your situation definitely seems to be quite complicated. Have you been really stressed and having high cortisol levels or have you been having some hormonal imbalances? Three years sounds like a really long time so there is most likely something behind it. Have you got your thyroxine levels checked?
I had my cortisol checked in all sorts of conditions and it's above average but not hitting the high limit. Like 18ug/DL with 22 ug/DL the high threshold.
T4 Thyroxine has been right in the middle consistently.

Also I know that on catabolic state the body starts to use muscles for energy but I assume that generally the weight should be going down at the same time so this all in all sounds really odd to me. Perhaps I just don't fully understand the catabolic state correctly at the moment. Hopefully you will anyways manage to get your body back on track so you can continue with your gains.
Yeah I don't understand it either:shrug:

Matugi

Looking flat out awesome on the last pic m8. What is your benchpress milestone atm?

I hit 305 earlier in the year but haven't maxed in awhile. I breezed through 3x280 with no issues at all on my first cycle of 5x5, so I figure I'm somewhere around 315 right now.

So I'm having some issues that's got me a little worried. I'm hoping to go see someone soon, but in the mean time I guess I'll post here. I've been dealing some pain somewhere between my right hamstring and glute. It's most apparent during squatting and deadlifting. It doesn't really affect any of my day to day activities and the only time I've noticed it when I wasn't lifting was when I sit with my wallet, so I've resorted to keeping my wallet in my backpack for the time being. Any thoughts on what it could be? :/ It's really bumming me out. I probably should have completely stopped once it started hurting but I kept going. So I probably aggravated whatever I have even more.

I was told by a friend of mine who works as a trainer to use a foam roller. I'll try that tonight with a tennis ball.

Sounds like a trigger point which may or may not be birthing more trigger points.

Get in there, find the spot where it hurts really bad (but in a good way) and try either short, quick massaging strokes or just static pressure. You'll probably be better off with the tennis ball than a foam roller for this anyways so you can get right on the spot. Finish up with a couple minutes of static stretching and see how you feel the next day.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Hey guys and gals, this is my first time posting here. I was going to wait until I was stronger, but just wanted to introduce myself to you lovely folks and thought I'd share my progress update.

I randomly clicked on this thread a little over a month ago and decided to start doing the Starting Strength program. I just want to thank everyone because I've gotten a lot stronger than I thought I could, especially in such a short amount of time!

I have mainly been focusing on lower body, but throwing in some benching, bicep curls, and military shoulder presses into the workout as well.

This is what I was lifting the first day when I was totally out of shape. Keep in mind I never did squats before in my life and was mostly focusing on perfecting form.

Squat – 65lbs 5x3
Bench Press – 85lbs 5x3
Deadlift – 85lbs 5x1

Squat – 165lbs 5x3
Bench Press – 115lbs 5x3
Deadlift – 185lbs 5x1

Holy Shit. I mean, I know that doesn't seem like much compared to some of you beasts and greek gods in this thread, but that kind of progress is insane from my point of view.

Is this normal?

Not doing anything special except for trying to eat better and get decent sleep. Only supplements I'm using are protein shakes, creatine, daily vitamin, and fish oil.

The lifts are getting much more difficult, so how much should I slow down at this point? I could also use some tips for upper body exercises as I feel that's what I should start focusing on.

Thanks Again!
Are you kidding me? That's after 1 month?!! Well done sir. Keep working and welcome to FitGaf. :)

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

162.5 lbs of carnage

Damn Matugi. You're a good lookin' dude. Mirin' on multiple levels my friend. Keep doing what you're doing.

Squat – 65lbs 5x3
Bench Press – 85lbs 5x3
Deadlift – 85lbs 5x1

Squat – 165lbs 5x3
Bench Press – 115lbs 5x3
Deadlift – 185lbs 5x1

Is this normal?

Thanks Again!

Welcome goddammit welcome! You're doing a great job. Stay the course.

Squat – 65lbs 5x3
Bench Press – 85lbs 5x3
Deadlift – 85lbs 5x1

Squat – 165lbs 5x3
Bench Press – 115lbs 5x3
Deadlift – 185lbs 5x1

Is this normal?

Thanks Again!
That's pretty damn impressive. Good shit. Keep at it and run SS to the ground and eat more. One of the things I love about being a novice lifter is the rapid progression

Szu

Squat – 65lbs 5x3
Bench Press – 85lbs 5x3
Deadlift – 85lbs 5x1

Squat – 165lbs 5x3
Bench Press – 115lbs 5x3
Deadlift – 185lbs 5x1

Is this normal?

Thanks Again!

Dem awesome newbie gains!!!

I miss those days.

Matugi

Damn Matugi. You're a good lookin' dude. Mirin' on multiple levels my friend. Keep doing what you're doing.

Thanks, bud. Unfortunately it hasn't quite paid off yet because earlier this year I was stuck in a love triangle, and now I'm in a very precarious situation with one of my good friends who continues to tell me she broke up with her boyfriend, yet follows that up with avoiding me like the plague for a week. IDK man, my fraternity has its semi-formal coming up so I've gotta figure something out soon. Rando women don't take me seriously because of my height but it's whatever. I don't lift for anybody but myself, tho

Squat – 65lbs 5x3
Bench Press – 85lbs 5x3
Deadlift – 85lbs 5x1

Squat – 165lbs 5x3
Bench Press – 115lbs 5x3
Deadlift – 185lbs 5x1

Is this normal?

Thanks Again!

Welcome to FitGAF. That's above-average gains in that timeframe I'd say. You're either working very hard or have awesome genes. Probably a combination of the two!

As far as slowing down... I wouldn't slow down in terms of adding more weight until you can't successfully complete your sets. Have you purchased the Starting Strength book (or E-book)? There should be a section in there about progression and failing sets. I highly, highly recommend that if you're doing the SS program you take the extra time to read the book and especially read the parts about proper form for each lift very closely.

By the way, if you have a chance, I would encourage you to record yourself for your major lifts (bench, squat, deadlift, military press) and share the videos here. Even people that have been lifting for years usually can find ways to improve their form, so I figure it'd be better for you to receive constructive comments sooner rather than later. My largest regret of my lifting career is not showing form check videos to Gaffers until I'd already been lifting for a few years. I'm not claiming your form is bad, just that most people new to lifting will make small (or sometimes large) mistakes and never realize it until they've injured themselves. Just a suggestion of course.

For upper body, pull-ups are king. Chin-ups too. I also like bent-over barbell rows.

Szu

Thanks, bud. Unfortunately it hasn't quite paid off yet because earlier this year I was stuck in a love triangle, and now I'm in a very precarious situation with one of my good friends who continues to tell me she broke up with her boyfriend, yet follows that up with avoiding me like the plague for a week. IDK man, my fraternity has its semi-formal coming up so I've gotta figure something out soon. Rando women don't take me seriously because of my height but it's whatever. I don't lift for anybody but myself, tho

Just like your torso and chest hair, the plot thickens.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery

Squat – 65lbs 5x3
Bench Press – 85lbs 5x3
Deadlift – 85lbs 5x1

Squat – 165lbs 5x3
Bench Press – 115lbs 5x3
Deadlift – 185lbs 5x1

Is this normal?

Thanks Again!

This was your progress after a whole month?

I really hate you.

Evo X

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

Glad to hear I'm making good progress. Them Kryptonian genetics doing work! (lol jk, although listening to the Man of Steel theme has helped me through some of the tougher sets)

Not gonna lie, I have been busting my ass this past month, but it's totally worth it for the results. I have a tendency to become single minded when I have a goal which has been quite helpful.

Checking in on this thread and seeing other people's progress has been a great motivation as well.

I have been reading the SS book and have had others at the gym keep my form in check, but I'll still try to get some videos to post on here.

A quick question. When did you start using belts for your lifts? I feel like doing these heavy squats and dead lifts 3 times a week is putting a lot of stress on my lower back.

I'm probably going to be Chris Redfield.

Great choice. You could definitely pull off RE5 Chris.

I'd look pretty similar to RE4 era Leon Kennedy if I could find a blonde wig.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Anybody suggestions? Continue to get a quick pain in my lower back after deads, and today it happened after my max on bench.

Matugi

Anybody suggestions? Continue to get a quick pain in my lower back after deads, and today it happened after my max on bench.

Likely just tightness of those lower back muscles pushing against your nerves (or pushing the disc against your nerves). Are you getting any sort of radiating pain down your leg?

I'm not sure what to be for Halloween. I was going to be Jules from Pulp Fiction, not sure now though.

I'm stuck, too. Chapel Hill has a huge Halloween celebration on Franklin Street. Last year I went as Carl from Caddyshack and I was originally gonna go as cokehead Billy Mays but now I'm not sure.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Likely just tightness of those lower back muscles pushing against your nerves (or pushing the disc against your nerves). Are you getting any sort of radiating pain down your leg?

I'm stuck, too. Chapel Hill has a huge Halloween celebration on Franklin Street. Last year I went as Carl from Caddyshack and I was originally gonna go as cokehead Billy Mays but now I'm not sure.

No radiation. It feels like a pinch almost. I've gotten it plenty of times in the past, just wondering what it is in my form that's wrong. It's not lingering either in that it's just a sharp pain, but after that it disappears completely until strained again.

Matugi

No radiation. It feels like a pinch almost. I've gotten it plenty of times in the past, just wondering what it is in my form that's wrong. It's not lingering either in that it's just a sharp pain, but after that it disappears completely until strained again.

Hard to tell what is wrong with your form unless you post a video. A vague description ain't gonna help.

grumble

Glad to hear I'm making good progress. Them Kryptonian genetics doing work! (lol jk, although listening to the Man of Steel theme has helped me through some of the tougher sets)

Not gonna lie, I have been busting my ass this past month, but it's totally worth it for the results. I have a tendency to become single minded when I have a goal which has been quite helpful.

Checking in on this thread and seeing other people's progress has been a great motivation as well.

I have been reading the SS book and have had others at the gym keep my form in check, but I'll still try to get some videos to post on here.

A quick question. When did you start using belts for your lifts? I feel like doing these heavy squats and dead lifts 3 times a week is putting a lot of stress on my lower back.

Great choice. You could definitely pull off RE5 Chris.

I'd look pretty similar to RE4 era Leon Kennedy if I could find a blonde wig.

Hey, nice progress. That's standard ss progression. Keep at it! Love that program.

If the deadlifts are killing you you could switch to power cleans and alternate, but it's up to you. You could probably get up to 225+ before you really have to consider alternating. If you want a belt then use one, though I argue that lifting shoes are more important. Try best belts, they are awesome.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
The always and forever goal of most of Fit-GAF would be to do the best goddamn Gear that you love from Gears of War cosplay ever.

SeanR1221

I can't come up with any good costume ideas that won't result in freezing my ass in late October in ny.

Get a giant diaper and put your son in a buisness suit. Great role reversal.

I remember you saying this on Instagram. Please tell me you'll carry a boulder to punch.

I'm not sure what to be for Halloween. I was going to be Jules from Pulp Fiction, not sure now though.
You said this last year! :p

The always and forever goal of most of Fit-GAF would be to do the best goddamn Gear that you love from Gears of War cosplay ever.

Yes! I could also see Brolic doing this.

As for me, I got a full yoshi body suit. My wife is gonna be a slutty mario and ride me. :-D

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'm just a little speechless at that suit Sean. Is that for Halloween or uh...?

Sadetar

We appreciate all you do as spokeswoman of FitGirlGAF. :)

As for my fitness progress, I've been continuing to work on bodyweight moves, along with my usual weighted moves. If nothing else, the calisthenics seem to aid in recovery. I was thinking earlier today that I haven't had any random aches in a while.
I am just being loud and annoying. According to rumours I am brilliantly good at both of those. :D But hey, thanks, that really made my day. ^_^

The lack of random aches sounds absolutely marvellous! I still once in a while have the radiating pain to the back of my leg and random numbness, but those are getting rarer and rarer.

I saw this mega sexy girl at the gym doing body weight movements, standing on her hands and free style dance moves. I talked to her a while and it was extremely inspirational. I might need to try calisthenics after my back is better and I need something new to keep me motivated. :)

I did ! :D
This is the recipe I used, It can be cleaned up a bit,I'm sure. But I figured I was going to be squatting heavy so might as well go all in.
If possible, I like you even more at the moment. <3

I am definitely going to try to make a low carb version out of that awesomeness. :p

Ego got boosted at work today. Took off my coat went to the bathroom and came back. Some lady noticed and told my coworker "He's got a body on him under that coat. Shit." Of course this lady like 50 something. Only wish younger broads were saying this out loud.
Hahahah. That is awesome!

On that note I need to say that it is basicly only 50+ men that seem to comment me... I haven't yet figured out does my body type appeal to only them or are the youngsters just too polite and/or shy to say anything
(or then they are like my friend just imagining I will end up killing them with my legs...)
. But hey, a nice comment is a nice comment and I do appreciate every positive word I manage to get. Admittedly it feels good. :D

Anyone in here doing keto? It pushed me to get the lowest I've ever been 240 25% body fat (I'm 6'1"), but I lost some strength(not that much) and stamina(lost a lot here). Also recovery seems to take longer, but it manage to push through and work out 5 days a week. I haven't done any refeeding since I started like 2 months ago until today. I got a little desperate since I've been stuck for 2 weeks at the same weight. Does anyone know if it's better to eat carbs on heavy workout days or to just do a carb day once a week? Internet has a bunch of conflicting opinions. I'm not sure what to trust :/
As far as I am concerned ILoveBish is our official keto pro. I have been having a very low carb diet also for couple months (lately not so much so, I will go back to it after like under two weeks). I have once in a while been eating more carbs on my gym days though (twice a week).

Swolfie because I love the mirror at work.

Need to work on my biceps, my arms are 17.5-18" and they look small. Maybe the traps are overpowering :/
Who wouldn't love a dirty mirror. :p

I just realized that you look like a bulked, younger version of my friend's father. Odd...

Also yes, your traps are obviously huge, but that is in no way a bad thing. :D

162.5 lbs of carnage
Oh yes. :p I heartily agree that yes, we (or at least), love mountain men. Looking very good sweetie pie. ;)

Hey honey and welcome! :D

I think you have managed to impress us already. That is some awesome progress for a month! Just make sure your form is good.

Sounds totally awesome that you are planning to send us perhaps couple form check videos. (I know that a curiosity might kill the cat, but this is a perfect excuse for me to know what he/she looks like). ;)

I already think he/she is absolutely adorable, this can only get better. :D I think we have a new baby beast in here that is on its way to be big. ^_^

I had my cortisol checked in all sorts of conditions and it's above average but not hitting the high limit. Like 18ug/DL with 22 ug/DL the high threshold.
T4 Thyroxine has been right in the middle consistently.

Yeah I don't understand it either:shrug:
Well, it sounds like you have tried to figure out what is wrong. Like said, that sounds extremely odd. I assume you have had all your other blood work checked as well. Good luck none the less.

If you do, you so need to share that awesomeness with us! <3

We are always happy to hear how you have been doing. Also the mental side is at least as important as the rest. Good to hear you have something to do on your own, but hopefully you will figure this out somehow. Please share with us how it goes. I hope you will get better! <3

Oh and that weight lost is incredible! I am in awe! :D You are still huge, but in a very good way I am sure. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom