• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
bf tore his in Japan and was recommended surgery there, but when he came back the doc said rehab would be enough. Now it's a crutch excusing him from stuff :
Rehab won't change the fact that his ACL will be forever torn. It is a valid excuse if the stuff involves any type of quick lateral movement. My knee buckles from time to time and it's sore for a few days. Running football routes with my son, playing basketball, or any other similar activity is just not possible for me at the moment. Maybe I'll get it fixed for the 2nd time eventually but right now it would require 2 surgeries, a decent chunk of money, and a sizable amount of time off work. Just not a good time unfortunately. :-(

I believe they don't heal on their own because there's little blood flow to the knee in general.

That's exactly what I was told too.

CrankyJay

Banned
Rehab won't change the fact that his ACL will be forever torn. It is a valid excuse if the stuff involves any type of quick lateral movement. My knee buckles from time to time and it's sore for a few days. Running football routes with my son, playing basketball, or any other similar activity is just not possible for me at the moment. Maybe I'll get it fixed for the 2nd time eventually but right now it would require 2 surgeries, a decent chunk of money, and a sizable amount time off work. Just not a good time unfortunately. :-(

That's exactly what I was told too.

Shit, did you retear?

While mine was torn, my knee would buckle when I turned corners in my office. Was wild, to say the least.

Cooter

Shit, did you retear?

While mine was torn, my knee would buckle when I turned corners in my office. Was wild, to say the least.
Oh yeah. About 14 months after my surgery. This was, oh...about 8 years ago now. Been managing it ever since. I miss basketball sooo much!

Just went to the gym for the first time in my life. Pretty tired. Guy told me to go on the treadmill for 10 minutes as a warmup, then I tried to do a pushup. Failed. A pull up. Failed. So I went to the machine where you sit down and pull the bar down towards your chest as many times until I got tired, at 35KG. I then went to the bench press machine and did the same thing. Took a break then did then workout again.

Will be going again on Wednesday and try new workouts.

Cooter

Just went to the gym for the first time in my life. Pretty tired. Guy told me to go on the treadmill for 10 minutes as a warmup, then I tried to do a pushup. Failed. A pull up. Failed. So I went to the machine where you sit down and pull the bar down towards your chest as many times until I got tired. I then went to the bench press machine and did the same thing. Took a break then did then workout again.

Glad you posted in here. You quite possibly just saved yourself a year or two of wasted time! If you continue down the path you are on you probably will see some quick progress and maybe even get a few comments. However, you will quickly plateau and before you know it those dozens of hours at the gym you spent sweating and working will be worthless besides maintaining what little progress you gained. It's time to get an organized and clear plan with specific goals and defined instructions. Read the OP. It's called Starting Strength. Follow it. You will progress very quickly and be very happy. Learn about nutrition to speed the process up even more. Ask questions here. Bam! You can thank me in a year when you're ripped or a strongman. Whatever goal it is you're going for. Good luck!

Glad you posted in here. You quite possibly just saved yourself a year or two of wasted time! If you continue down the path you are on you probably will see some quick progress and maybe even get a few comments. However, you will quickly plateau and before you know it those dozens of hours at the gym you spent sweating and working will be worthless besides maintaining what little progress you gained. It's time to get an organized and clear plan with specific goals and defined instructions. Read the OP. It's called Starting Strength. Follow it. You will progress very quickly and be very happy. Learn about nutrition to speed the process up even more. Ask questions here. Bam! You can thank me in a year when your ripped or a strongman. Whatever goal it is you're going for. Good luck!

Thanks for the tips! Today, Wednesday and Friday are more of a get-to-grips with the machines more than anything else. I plan to follow the guidelines in the OP, I just need to know how every machine works :p

But again, thanks. Your post reminded me not to get carried away with the routine I was working today.

Cooter

Thanks for the tips! Today, Wednesday and Friday are more of a get-to-grips with the machines more than anything else. I plan to follow the guidelines in the OP, I just need to know how every machine works :p

But again, thanks. Your post reminded me not to get carried away with the routine I was working today.
Good to hear. Heads up though, you won't be using those machines once you dig into the OP. I would take a week to get familiar and comfortable with the gym. Use the machines to get your muscles going and then you're off to the real hard work and the ever growing list of FitGaf's transformations.

Good to hear. Heads up though, you won't be using those machines once you dig into the OP. I would take a week to get familiar and comfortable with the gym. Use the machines to get your muscles going and then you're off to the real hard work and the ever growing list of FitGaf's transformations.

Question: It would be a good idea to use the machines until I'm strong enough to do the pull ups and such listed in the OP, yes? Because right now I'm not at the strength level I need to be in order to do those things.

Cooter

Question: It would be a good idea to use the machines until I'm strong enough to do the pull ups and such listed in the OP, yes? Because right now I'm not at the strength level I need to be in order to do those things.
No. pull ups aren't necessary right now. You will be doing other things. The sooner you read Starting Strength the sooner you will have a leg up on 95% of the people you see at the gym. It's that important. At this stage you need to be learning the important compound lifts and practicing them. That is objective number one.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Just went to the gym for the first time in my life. Pretty tired. Guy told me to go on the treadmill for 10 minutes as a warmup, then I tried to do a pushup. Failed. A pull up. Failed. So I went to the machine where you sit down and pull the bar down towards your chest as many times until I got tired, at 35KG. I then went to the bench press machine and did the same thing. Took a break then did then workout again.

Welcome goddammit welcome. Listen to Cooter and eat and sleep. Simple guidelines.

Mr. X

Hello Fitness GAF, would like to introduce myself

Been going to the gym since January this year. Was 169, got down to 135 and now I'm at 139-140.

My routine currently is Push, Cardio/Abs, Pull, Cardio/Abs, Legs, Cardio/Abs

I aim for 6 but usually get 5 days a week in.

i5ui0v8OdHGLf.jpg

ibhGa9tqoFCrJY.jpg

progress pic at month 6
ieu9HYagioKlh.png

My goal is the cliche Bruce Lee motivation, trying to maximize strength with low reps, high weights. Think I'm going to aim to bulk soon (at least I think I should). Looking here for the knowledge from the Older Gods.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Welcome Mr. X. You've got the right notebook my friend! Keep working, you're looking great. Dope traps.

Szu

Hello Fitness GAF, would like to introduce myself

Been going to the gym since January this year. Was 169, got down to 135 and now I'm at 139-140.

My routine currently is Push, Cardio/Abs, Pull, Cardio/Abs, Legs, Cardio/Abs

I aim for 6 but usually get 5 days a week in.

My goal is the cliche Bruce Lee motivation, trying to maximize strength with low reps, high weights. Think I'm going to aim to bulk soon (at least I think I should). Looking here for the knowledge from the Older Gods.

Welcome. You need to add another abs workout. I barely see a 10 pack.

J/k - welcome and nice progress.

Mr. X

Welcome Mr. X. You've got the right notebook my friend! Keep working, you're looking great. Dope traps.
Super impressive Mr.X

Welcome. You need to add another abs workout. I barely see a 10 pack.

J/k - welcome and nice progress.

Thank you all.

I just wanted to just say how much better I feel mentally as well since I've begun. I feel so much better about myself now than I ever have.

Matugi

Squatted for the first time since injuring my leg today. Hip feels fine but I'm still not totally comfortable with my form to the point where I feel like I need to adjust it every set. Gonna get my friend who's a bikini competitor (moving up to physique, she's legit) to come in on Wednesday to help get it. I'm dropping into the hole fine I think but I just am not feeling like my hips are open enough, and when they are I feel like I can't get into the hole properly. It's weird. I'll try to get a video to show y'all.

Szu

Squatted for the first time since injuring my leg today. Hip feels fine but I'm still not totally comfortable with my form to the point where I feel like I need to adjust it every set. Gonna get my friend who's a bikini competitor (moving up to physique, she's legit) to come in on Wednesday to help get it. I'm dropping into the hole fine I think but I just am not feeling like my hips are open enough, and when they are I feel like I can't get into the hole properly. It's weird. I'll try to get a video to show y'all.

Will the videos include said friend?

Cooter

She'll be the one recording lol.
Tell her to stay in bikini class because some loser on an Internet forum prefers women less muscular. I'm sure that will convince her! And get the video up ASAP. We'll fix that shit quick!

Matugi

Tell her to stay in bikini class because some loser on an Internet forum prefers women less muscular. I'm sure that will convince her! And get the video ASAP.

Oh she doesn't have to worry about that, she and her boyfriend (one of my good friends) are super into lifting and all of us support her fully. She talks regularly about how people give her weird looks in the gym and she seriously doesn't give a fuck. But yeah, I'll get that video on Wednesday. It's a lighter set and I'm supposed to do a ramped set on Friday so I want to make sure I have my form right going into it. I think a lot of the issue right now is a balance thing since I'm still weaker on my left side than my right side, so I'll focus on that for sure.

Also, thinking I'm making good progress on Starting Strength four months in. Got up to 190 on bench, 235 on squat, and 250 on dead lift. Had to go down to dead lift once a week with 5 pound jumps instead of ten like the first few months, so my squat and DL are getting close to each other. Up to 193 lbs now, should be able to hit 200 by the end of the year. I'm 6'3" so that really ain't shit but niggas got yo start somewhere man

Left shoulder blade is straight, but left shoulder is still a bit sore after bench especially. I take like 5 minutes in between sets now, everybody hates me cuz I take so damn long on the one squat rack, but fuck em

Cooter

Also, thinking I'm making good progress on Starting Strength four months in. Got up to 190 on bench, 235 on squat, and 250 on dead lift. Had to go down to dead lift once a week with 5 pound jumps instead of ten like the first few months, so my squat and DL are getting close to each other. Up to 193 lbs now, should be able to hit 200 by the end of the year. I'm 6'3" so that really ain't shit but niggas got yo start somewhere man

Left shoulder blade is straight, but left shoulder is still a bit sore after bench especially. I take like 5 minutes in between sets now, everybody hates me cuz I take so damn long on the one squat rack, but fuck em
Those numbers are solid as shit for only 4 months brother. Keep it up! Yeah, eventually we all have to slow down on our progression. Can't keep going up forever unfortunately or I'd be squatting 3,000 pounds!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

It's good, you're good. And take your time. Lots of people have weird expectations for others. Fuck it.

You're gettin' there on bench. Plateau usually happens a little past your bodyweight.

Let's say Chris Hemsworth as Thor is my dream body to have, would doing the novice workouts as listed whilst also watching my diet get me close to it eventually? I plan to go exactly how it says in the OP, 3x a week every week.

Also I'm a little overweight now, but that goes away with the workout, right?

Sorry for the noob-ish questions, haha.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Let's say Chris Hemsworth as Thor is my dream body to have, would doing the novice workouts as listed whilst also watching my diet get me close to it eventually? I plan to go exactly how it says in the OP, 3x a week every week.

Also I'm a little overweight now, but that goes away with the workout, right?

Sorry for the noob-ish questions, haha.

If you're looking to look like someone who is using gear, you gotta reset your expectations. Not to say you can't get there with a lot of time and discipline, but definitely get your expectations right.

Years.

If you're looking to look like someone who is using gear, you gotta reset your expectations. Not to say you can't get there with a lot of time and discipline, but definitely get your expectations right.

Years.

Cool, good to know, thanks. I'd rather be told straight by you guys than be lied to by some gym staff that I'll definitely get it. I do however plan to get some nice muscle, but I think that's obvious, otherwise I wouldn't be in this thread :p

Also, does gear mean stuff like steroids?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Cool, good to know, thanks. I'd rather be told straight by you guys than be lied to by some gym staff that I'll definitely get it. I do however plan to get some nice muscle, but I think that's obvious, otherwise I wouldn't be in this thread :p

Also, does gear mean stuff like steroids?

Yep. One thing about lifting I've discovered is that your goals when you start vary wildly to what you'll discover you actually want. Just be diligent, keep working towards it hard (and smart) and you'll get somewhere that truly makes you happy.

Yep. One thing about lifting I've discovered is that your goals when you start vary wildly to what you'll discover you actually want. Just be diligent, keep working towards it hard (and smart) and you'll get somewhere that truly makes you happy.

I think I fell into that old "I now lift, therefore I can be as big as anyone" mindset. Once I get started properly, I think I will get the right idea of what I want, as you said.

I really like this community, everyone helps each other in a friendly manner and replies are always so fast. Also, everyone really knows what they're talking about.

Cooter

I think I fell into that old "I now lift, therefore I can be as big as anyone" mindset. Once I get started properly, I think I will get the right idea of what I want, as you said.

I really like this community, everyone helps each other in a friendly manner and replies are always so fast. Also, everyone really knows what they're talking about.
Much of it has to do with diet. It's that important. The other equally important half is a willingness to truly push yourself in the gym. Excel at those two things and not much will stop you. Sure genetics will play a part to a certain extent but that mostly has to do with particular aesthetic attributes. Also be careful with expectations. As Vince mentioned, steroids are popular for a reason, they work. You will see people blow up in a matter of months. These people had help. Just know that. Be patient and the results will come. Promise.

And yes, FitGAF I'd best GAF!

Quixzlizx

Hey FitnessGAF, I'm actually just starting out on trying to get myself into shape. At the moment, I'm not even trying to add muscle, but simply trying to shake off the atrophy of a sedentary lifestyle.

Right now, I'm just running a block around my neighborhood every morning after I wake up, which is about 1/4-1/3 mile by my estimation (very humble beginnings). My muscles are fine with this, but it takes me around 5 minutes for my breathing to return completely to normal when I finish. I'm not flopping on the ground gasping for breath or anything, but it is pretty annoying. I guess the only way to improve this is to keep at it with cardio.

Also, if I want to add crunches and pushups to my morning routine to get some work for my muscles in, would I need to alternate these, or is it basically only major weight lifting that requires rest days? Are there any other simple exercises I can do that don't require barbells? I do have a resistance spring and a set of cheap clip-style dumbbells, but I haven't used them in years. If higher-quality/less-unwieldy dumbbells would help me get into it easier, I'd be willing to pick up a set.

For reference, I'm 6' and around 130 pounds. I've been around this weight since I turned 16 (I'm in my early 30s), but only around 6 months ago have I tried to eat more consistently nutritiously. And only a couple of weeks ago did I get the motivation to work on my fitness. I don't even really have any desire to get swole; I just don't want my physical condition to be a minus.

blackflag

I want to lift. It's been a month. I went to the gym Monday and bench pressed and I can barely walk again. 1 gym session after my back felt fine for 2 weeks. I'm getting frustrated and I'm not eating very good either.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I want to lift. It's been a month. I went to the gym Monday and bench pressed and I can barely walk again. 1 gym session after my back felt fine for 2 weeks. I'm getting frustrated and I'm not eating very good either.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

I miss you buddy. Fuck food, eat for utility. Hang in there. You'll be back.

blackflag

I miss you buddy. Fuck food, eat for utility. Hang in there. You'll be back.

Yes brother I'll be back. I gonna start stretching and yoga tomorrow. It feels like a pull and it's not on my spine. It always reoccurs in the same spot, I gues I should go back to the doctors even though none of them have done anything to help.

sphinx

the piano man
wow, I just came from the gym and on my way I was thinking I should ask here how to come back to real strength training after injury and the last page has plenty of examples, so I got that covererd.

my last injury didn't allow me to bench press any weight that would bring me near my 10 rep range.... so I was basically fucking around with that exercise thinking I could work on form and take it as theraphy. lately I've been working on improving said 10 rep range and it's been an interesting thing, and was wondering whether that's a good approach post-injury.

I miss the days when I could lift more than my own weight for reps... I wanna get back on track but I don't want to get injured again...

damn, injuries suck :/

Other than that you've made awesome progress, looking gargantuan. But where's the progress shot of the wheels, man? We all know you don't skip leg day.

one thing FE has going for him is the very visible V shape from the front.

Plenty of shredded guys would like to have that. .

very nice Before/After, Falling Edge :) inspiring

Years.

to complement the bolded, I'd say you'll need.

.- be young, preferably (under 30), otherwise there are a couple of hurdles on your way, nothing insurmountable but there's a handicap there.

.- have discipline. Have an incredibly, ridicously, mindblowing, earth shattering, out-of-this-world discipline in the three main areas of this discipline: Lifting, Eating, Sleeping. that's waaay easier said than done and I don't question your character, I question whether life will allow you to keep up with everything but that's how this rolls :) you'll have plenty of fun.

For those of you with the unlimited freedom of college (you damn kids with your music), home/workplace gyms, or even just a decent range of DBs laying around in your garage underneath the pull-up bar (i.e. me) you may be interested in checking out Lyle McDonald's new series on how to properly implement working out twice a day. Right now he's covered the rationale, the basics, and bodybuilding/general size & fitness. I think power training is the next part.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/two-a-day-training-in-the-weight-room-part-1.html/

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/two-a-day-training-in-the-weight-room-part-2.html/

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/two-a-day-training-in-the-weight-room-part-3.html/

I know a lot of people only think of him as a nutrition guy and like to post that 20 year old shot of him deadlifting 175 or something as an excuse for dismissing his training advice but what can I say, I'm a devotee and most of his stuff makes sense and is hard to argue with. The above series is certainly worth looking at if you've been considering working out twice a day. I've been following the guidelines just for back & arms over the 6 weeks and I'm happy with my results thus far.

Quoting this for future reference (there should be a LIKE button). I wonder if this could be a good approach for splitting deadlifts and squats? Though both would be heavy workouts, so maybe not, but I will experiment on that soon.

I really need to just start meal prepping. My workouts can be very long when I include cardio in the session. I spend 1.5 hours lifting then 20-45 cardio and I get home exhausted. I tried breaking up the workouts, but it just becomes too easy for me to ditch the cardio session.

I could just adjust my diet to eliminate cardio, but I want to eat more.

Sucks. Also I know I lift for far too long, but I'm not gonna change what I do unless a coach tells me to. I am in the gym an average of 2-2.5 hours and it works for me. The big reason is I take longer rest periods than most people, not that I overtrain. I've tried shortening it, but it just doesn't click. I dunno.

Cooter

I really need to just start meal prepping. My workouts can be very long when I include cardio in the session. I spend 1.5 hours lifting then 20-45 cardio and I get home exhausted. I tried breaking up the workouts, but it just becomes too easy for me to ditch the cardio session.

I could just adjust my diet to eliminate cardio, but I want to eat more.

Sucks. Also I know I lift for far too long, but I'm not gonna change what I do unless a coach tells me to. I am in the gym an average of 2-2.5 hours and it works for me. The big reason is I take longer rest periods than most people, not that I overtrain. I've tried shortening it, but it just doesn't click. I dunno.
I take my time too Darth. Especially on heavy compounds. Although I'm almost certain you do 2 or 3 times the volume I do. If I did 4 exercises per muscle I would be there 2 or 2.5 hours also. And lol about the cardio. Ha I've started running 5 times a week so I can eat an extra 2 or 3 hundred calories. With my cheat days once a week I need it to maintain visible abs that I am happy with. Why must we love food so much? Sometimes I wish I was like the people who really don't derive much pleasure from eating. It would be so much easier but at the same time I feel I would be missing out on one of the few things that make life so special.

I take my time too Darth. Especially on heavy compounds. Although I'm almost certain you do 2 or 3 times the volume I do. If I did 4 exercises per muscle I would be there 2 or 2.5 hours also. And lol about the cardio. Ha I've started running 5 times a week so I can eat an extra 2 or 3 hundred calories. With my cheat days once a week I need it to maintain visible abs that I am happy with. Why must we love food so much? Sometimes I wish I was like the people who really don't derive much pleasure from eating. It would be so much easier but at the same time I feel I would be missing out on one of the few things that make life so special.

Reasons I lift weights, starting with the most important:

1) So I can eat more food but not get fat
2) Be strong
3) Look good

For real, food is my top motivation. Sounds kinda messed up when I say that out loud but whatever, I love eating and I've maintained a healthy body composition while eating tons of food. Winning at life if you ask me.

sphinx

the piano man
Reasons I lift weights, starting with the most important:

1) So I can eat more food but not get fat
2) Be strong
3) Look good

For real, food is my top motivation. Sounds kinda messed up when I say that out loud but whatever, I love eating and I've maintained a healthy body composition while eating tons of food. Winning at life if you ask me.

1) Is definitely a reason of mine, I hated dieting to lose weight and look thin back in the day, hated it with a passion. I prefer running for 90 minutes or going up and down stadium stairs 20 times than refraining from eating any particular piece of food.

CrankyJay

Banned
I seem to be having some success with eating slower (I honestly need to force myself to do this, otherwise I will wolf down my food and not feel food and grab more). This is kind of helped to make my portions half-sized.

I seem to be having some success with eating slower (I honestly need to force myself to do this, otherwise I will wolf down my food and not feel food and grab more). This is kind of helped to make my portions half-sized.

This should be true for almost anyone. As we eat, our body sends chemical signals to our brain to tell us that we're becoming full and can stop eating... but this process takes a bit of time, so if you eat fast enough you can eat more than necessary before your brain catches up. Good on you for figuring it out. It's amazing how easily you can fill up if you just eat a bit slower.

On the other hand, I tend to eat very fast right now so that I can make sure I am eating excess calories.

CrankyJay

Banned
any thoughts on having my protein shake after my workout with or without some solid food (carbs maybe)? i usually just do shake and nothing else.

any thoughts on having my protein shake after my workout with or without some solid food (carbs maybe)? i usually just do shake and nothing else.

Intaking some carbs post-weight training is supposed to be beneficial. If you're doing some ketogenic diet then I have no idea of course, but for standard diets, I'd try to throw in a bit of carbs if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom