• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zero2kz

I think I may be a member now, if not now, I will be shortly. Slowly getting there. Couldn't do it without the Fitness thread. lol

300 posts and at least 3 months right? This is my 300th.

Anyways, anyone here have tendinitis in any of their joints? My shoulder is flaring up again, and I don't know what I could do to help manage it a bit better. I usually have to stop lifting if it flared up in the gym in fear of it making it worse. Outside of the gym I am icing it a few times throughout the day.

J. Bravo

Got denied out of the uni gym today, apparently I showed up too late for the classes, as they close the gates 20 min after the classes start (I learned this today).

It would have been ok if it hadn't been 10:19 according to my phone and 10:17 according to their clock. And even then I wouldn't have been the last one out of gym. I may have gotten in if I had thrown a fit but I decided against. The shitty thing is that I won't go to gym on friday either (important gig, I don't want my muscles to act against me) and I have missed a few fays in the past weeks as well.

I haven't done squats in weeks as my left hip gets painful when I get down, I hope I can get it sorted out soon. Been still doing deadlifts though.

Since Im completely oblivious to most lifts, are barbell shrugs a rotary movement or a simple up-down with your shoulders? I don't do them, but I've seen people do and am just wondering what is the correct technique.
Up down

edit: now that i'm not laying in bed half asleep. what i do is up, 3 second pause, down. count to 30. so up 123 down up 456 down up 789 etc

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone who has had Asian friends has had to suffer through a so bad its good movie with hopping vampires.

Szu

Fuck the diet police!

These diet comments remind me of a conversation that I had with a regular female gym rat.

This woman is awesome. She's probably in her early 50's. She's about 5'5" and weighs probably 145 lbs. But she sumo deadlifts 315 for reps. Major respect for her.

Another huge gym rat asked her for some advice on diet.

She said that she doesn't care about that shit. She eats whatever she wants and lifts heavy. However, she doesn't want carbs so she cut that out.

Matugi

Now that my back is healthy and my hip is fucked up, I'm gonna temporarily switch back to conventional deadlift. Working on sumo has had the added effect of making my conventional form better, too

ILoveBish

These diet comments remind me of a conversation that I had with a regular female gym rat.

This woman is awesome. She's probably in her early 50's. She's about 5'5" and weighs probably 145 lbs. But she sumo deadlifts 315 for reps. Major respect for her.

Another huge gym rat asked her for some advice on diet.

She said that she doesn't care about that shit. She eats whatever she wants and lifts heavy. However, she doesn't want carbs so she cut that out.

Sounds like a smart lady.

Szu

Though without genitalia... I'm quite interested as to how far Szu is willing to go for a cheap Chipotle.

My back plan would just to go topless and wear a headband. When it's my turn to be served, I'll menacingly point at them and say "I am necks."

Cooking this tonight, though with normal sausage as apparently the only place I can get (non nasty hot dog style) chicken sausage is online.

Cast Iron Kitchen Sink Frittata

P1183324.jpg

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I think I may be a member now, if not now, I will be shortly. Slowly getting there. Couldn't do it without the Fitness thread. lol

300 posts and at least 3 months right? This is my 300th.

Anyways, anyone here have tendinitis in any of their joints? My shoulder is flaring up again, and I don't know what I could do to help manage it a bit better. I usually have to stop lifting if it flared up in the gym in fear of it making it worse. Outside of the gym I am icing it a few times throughout the day.
I get sore joints which I assume is tendinitis. I can usually manage it by lowering the weight and staying away from certain exercises that aggravate it. Eventually it goes away. Hope that helps.

Pinewood

Up down

edit: now that i'm not laying in bed half asleep. what i do is up, 3 second pause, down. count to 30. so up 123 down up 456 down up 789 etc

Thats what I thought. Its just that I've only seen people do it with a rotary movement (at least thats how it looked) and it looks like it puts more strain on your shoulder joints.

Tater Tot

"My God... it's full of Starch!"
Did Squats and Deadlifts today. I have a small pain on my left ass check, where it connects to the lowerback. Normally, after performing the exercises I don't really feel anything until the next day but today and last week I usually get a small pain. I actually wouldnt call it pain just a sensation, and I normally feel it when walking or standing up from a sitting position. Something to be worried about? It normally goes away after 2-3 days.

And I only get it after doing Squat/Deadlift day.

CrankyJay

Banned
Did Squats and Deadlifts today. I have a small pain on my left ass check, where it connects to the lowerback. Normally, after performing the exercises I don't really feel anything until the next day but today and last week I usually get a small pain. I actually wouldnt call it pain just a sensation, and I normally feel it when walking or standing up from a sitting position. Something to be worried about? It normally goes away after 2-3 days.

And I only get it after doing Squat/Deadlift day.

try ibuprofin (i take 600mg, but i weigh over 200lb) and ice on the spot for 20 minutes

Zoe

Stretch out your hip flexors and IT band. I've been getting treated for pain in the same region, and my progress gets checked with squats.

Feeling a bit better now. All I could taste was blood for about half hour. Unpleasant.

Glad tomorrow is a rest day.

On the subject of the frittata, it was ok... but to be honest I don't think it was anything special. I'd have it again at a push but I think I'd have to go in a different direction with the spices.

Speaking of food, my wife recommended breakfast for dinner tonight... But I already had prepped stuff for chili cheese dogs.

...why not both, you ask? Good question. Gonna get fat tonight.

demented

How do I stop these sugar cravings :(

Dropped everything and going cold turkey and it's like a drug addict going in withdrawal lol

Any keto friendly food that can help me ? Eating walnuts to fit my macros but can't overeat them tho I love em.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Been making a lot of progress, 5 more weeks until the end of my cut. How long should I wait to cut again though?
Did a 16 week cut, its hellish.

Leeness

Been sick the last few days...no working out. :(

So...only been doing You Are Your Own Gym and definitely look like I'm getting fatter around my stomach again...sigh. Time to add cardio back in with a vengeance. Once I'm not sick, I think I'll do YAYOG in the morning, and a cardio at the end of the day.

Doesn't help that I've been eating like total shit lol. Still staying around 1200-1400cals, but it's all garbage.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Been sick the last few days...no working out. :(

So...only been doing You Are Your Own Gym and definitely look like I'm getting fatter around my stomach again...sigh. Time to add cardio back in with a vengeance. Once I'm not sick, I think I'll do YAYOG in the morning, and a cardio at the end of the day.

Doesn't help that I've been eating like total shit lol. Still staying around 1200-1400cals, but it's all garbage.
When it comes to weight loss, you can't outwork a bad diet. The reverse is true for pretty much every other aspect of fitness (cant rely on diet to gain strength, endurance, mobility, lean mass etc... if your program is poor), but for fat loss, diet is paramount.

My grip is starting to fail on my deadlifts. Otherwise they still feel quite easy on the rest of my body. I'm adding on farmers walks to try and help (which are fantastic btw wish i had tried them earlier). Otherwise not sure what else is good for grip strength.

On my bench i'm really trying to rework my form. I'm having trouble keeping my shoulder blades together. Going to do a bit of a deload to work on my form i think.

Edit: I still haven't tried the overhand/underhand grip. I'll give that a go next workout and see how it pans out.

Dropped everything and going cold turkey and it's like a drug addict going in withdrawal lol

Any keto friendly food that can help me ? Eating walnuts to fit my macros but can't overeat them tho I love em.

Sugar is your body's prefered source of energy, that's why you keep getting cravings.

If you are doing one of those low-carb atkins type diets, then there is a 1-2 week adjustment period where you feel like shit. Once your body is used to it you don't feel so bad though.

My grip is starting to fail on my deadlifts. Otherwise they still feel quite easy on the rest of my body. I'm adding on farmers walks to try and help (which are fantastic btw wish i had tried them earlier). Otherwise not sure what else is good for grip strength.

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2011/11/10/molding-a-mighty-grip-strength/

I find it quite hard to fit them into my routine though, so I've only been doing grip exercises sporadically. I tend to end up just using wraps for deadlifting.

Unrelated to that... I've really got to stop drinking water after say, 2 hours before bed. I've been drinking huge amounts to stay properly hydrated, but I think I'm tending to drink too much of it late in the day rather than throughout the day. Lost count of the amount of times I've ended up waking up to go to the toilet lately, and I don't think I'm quite of that age yet!

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member

On my bench i'm really trying to rework my form. I'm having trouble keeping my shoulder blades together. Going to do a bit of a deload to work on my form i think.

Edit: I still haven't tried the overhand/underhand grip. I'll give that a go next workout and see how it pans out.
At some point you will have to switch to mixed or hook grip (or straps). If you keep using double overhand for you warm-ups your grip will still get stronger without limiting your ability to progress on the lift. Don't forget chalk either, assuming your gym allows it.

sphinx

the piano man
At some point you will have to switch to mixed or hook grip (or straps). If you keep using double overhand for you warm-ups your grip will still get stronger without limiting your ability to progress on the lift. Don't forget chalk either, assuming your gym allows it.

confession time: I do mixed grip at all times, warm-up and main sets alike. Same with chalk, I use it from the very first set.

I read the reasoning about strengthening grip but I wasn't convinced, I don't feel any difference at all in my body, regarding the effort I am putting into the lift.which is what matters to me.

it makes DLifting a lot easier, I am not sure if it's considered cheating.

Regarding Chalk, with the lack of ventilation in my gym and having sweaty hands at all times, DLing turns very fast into an exercise in futility without it

guilty as charged I guess.

Don't know if I every knew there was an OT for fitness... or maybe I just forgot. I should stay posting here more.

Anyway I run 4-6 miles, lift (mostly upper body due to limitations in my buildings gym), and just started doing yoga 2 months ago. I do one a day and typically go 5 or 6 days a week unless something really busy is happening. Glad to be here! Will be asking for advice soon!

Petrie

Banned
confession time: I do mixed grip at all times, warm-up and main sets alike. Same with chalk, I use it from the very first set.

I read the reasoning about strengthening grip but I wasn't convinced, I don't feel any difference at all in my body, regarding the effort I am putting into the lift.which is what matters to me.

it makes DLifting a lot easier, I am not sure if it's considered cheating.

Regarding Chalk, with the lack of ventilation in my gym and having sweaty hands at all times, DLing turns very fast into an exercise in futility without it

guilty as charged I guess.

I think you'll only notice it when the lift starts to get really heavy and if you continue trying to progress. It definitely makes a difference, and the difference in effort would only be felt in your actual grip, not the lift itself. Eventually you'll stall based on grip even with a mixed grip and chalk, and you likely wouldn't have that same issue occur so soon had you gone through the standard progressions of standard, mixed, chalk on your sets.

Yeah i knew i would have to change but today was the first time i've really felt like my grip was having trouble. I'll definitely try mixed grip next workout. I've seen someone else using chalk so i think its probably allowed, that was actually a big part of my problem it's ridiculously hot at the moment and i was sweating a lot. Will try not to use chalk if possible though.

Had no idea about doing warmup sets with normal grips so i'm glad you said that. Now if i can just work out my bench..........

Hmm... today is a rest day but I really feel like I want to be lifting or doing something.

That doesn't seem like a good thing. Has never happened before.

Zero2kz

Peanut Butter all day every day for sugar cravings. Obviously very sweet without having any significant amount of sugar.

But same issue with just eating nuts, easy to overeat. I caught myself eating 600-800 calories of peanut butter in a sitting every once and awhile lol.

My water weight game is too good.

I went ham on carbs the other day. Was really craving some so I ate a huge plate of rice before bed. Dat 5 pound gain overnight.

Fit-GAF.

I'm thinking about purchasing that new 'Microsoft Band'. I'm a health nut, so it wouldn't go to waste. Plus, it has other functionalities outside of fitness which sound cool.

Anyone have any experience with similar fitness bands? Or opinions on fitness tracking technology?

They have no means of identifying how many plates you're squatting, therefore they are useless.

Band: "Are you even lifting?"

On topic. The real key will be how well the optical heart rate sensor works. Some of them can be really flaky because of light leaking in down the side of the band.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom