• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chocobro

Well did the 90% deload twice for 190 on bench and still couldn't hit that 3x5. Do I do it a third time or is there some next step after that routine

Talking about starting strength in the OP

Start microloading; increase in increments of 2.5 lbs instead of 5 lbs. This'll require you to buy microplates, ankle weights, or be creative and make your own weights.

Matugi

Failed on my last rep of 270x5 bench today, but my last set of the progression before this was 265x5 so I think I need to space out my ramped sets better. For those of you doing similar 5x5 variants, what percentage do you guys do for each of your ramp sets? I started at 225x5 but I'd probably be better off at doing like 185ish then going up 15lbs (7.5%ish) on each set so the last set before the max set doesn't lay so close in weight.

Monday morning weigh in...was fucking elated to see I dropped 4 pounds in the last week.

Then I realized one of my kid's foam bathtub letters was under one corner of the scale...lol

I lost .8 pounds. I'll take it.

Ive been there. Before I tried dieting I was just weighing myself everyday. I thought I was losing weight when I had really been edging the scale more and more onto the bathtub rug.

You know... the beta alanine tingle is nice, but fucking strange when you're just sat there and not exercising. Still, most places recommend using it x times a day, so I'm going to stick with it.

Sadetar

Edit. Oooh, I forgot to mention that I posted a punch of photos of my awesome vacation to FaceGAF.

Glad to see you return! I think if your dedication to the thread is any indication, you are back on track :) <3
Indeed I am. :D I had 1,5 week break while I was in York. I walked extremely much and climbed stairs, but other than that I was a happy fat and ate everything I craved for. When I got home I weighted 11 pounds more than when I left. I got back on Tuesday but went back to my normal routines on Wednesday. I managed to get rid of the extra weight within couple days though so all is good. :) I also bought new gym pants and sport bras so I feel like a winner when I work out and my motivation is high as sky again. :D

Also good to have you back! I was couple weeks ago thinking where you went. Missed you. <3

My bi-weekly bulk recipe continues to improve. Added a jar of curry paste to the mix, yummm. Also added a coconut milk, curry paste and fish sauce to my weekly rice intake. Eating the first meal of the batch today. Squatting tonight. Life is amazing.
Listening about your diet just made me soooo hungry. :p

Squatting is still somewhat challenging to me. I had a new program couple weeks ago with only free weights. I am super excited about it (had a gym day today), but getting the form and depth right is still a work in progress. I am sure I will get there with time. At the moment my gym program looks like the following and I do it twice a week along with Nordic walking and pilates.

5-10 minutes with a crosstrainer
couple quick stretches with a wooden stick (behind back and to the sides)

Back squat 2-3 x 10 repetitions
Bench press with dumbbells 2-3 x 10 repetitions
Romanian deadlift 2-3 x 10 repetitions
Dumbbell bent-over row 2-3 x 10 repetitions
Walking lunges 2-3 x 5 repetitions per leg (10 meters)
Shoulder press with dumbbells 2-3 x 10 repetitions

If I weel like it I can step back and forth to step board in the end 2 x 20 repetitions with both legs.
10-20 minutes with a crosstrainer
stretches

Oh crap. Totally forgot about the leg pic. Give me a week of healthy eating and I will display these chopsticks this weekend!
I will be waiting. I actually even checked this thread quickly every day when I was in there just hoping you would have been a good boy. :p

Also since you are basicly our official piss-like-a-fountain miracle and you drink a lot can you tell that will the body get used to drinking huge amounts of water? I used to go to bathroom like three times a day, but now when I have increased my water intake I feel like I would need to be there all the time.

...and yes, I am talking about underwear pics and pissing in the name of science and general well being. :D

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I will be waiting. I actually even checked this thread quickly every day when I was in there just hoping you would have been a good boy. :p

Also since you are basicly our official piss-like-a-fountain miracle and you drink a lot can you tell that will the body get used to drinking huge amounts of water? I used to go to bathroom like three times a day, but now when I have increased my water intake I feel like I would need to be there all the time.

...and yes, I am talking about underwear pics and pissing in the name of science and general well being. :D

Oh man. No pressure or anything...

Nope. No way around it. You are going to pee and pee often. If you're not then I reckon there's a problem.

Sadetar

Oh man. No pressure or anything...

Nope. No way around it. You are going to pee and pee often. If you're not then I reckon there's a problem.
Hahah, oh yeah, no pressure, no pressure at all. This is stress-free and supporting environment and all that. ;)

Good to know. And nope, no problems then. :D I am just not going to be as easy company as I used to be if I am ever going to go to another roadtrip in my life. :p

Szu

P.S. anyone hear from Brolic recently? Maybe I am just missing his posts but I haven't seen him post for weeks.

Same here. Last time we heard from him, he said that he was transitioning to a strongman routine.

I'm waiting for him to post videos as he lifts atlas stones, tossing beer kegs, and pulling semi trucks.

Zero2kz

Was planning on going ham and blasting legs today after work. I haven't had this kind of motivation since before I got injured, but I forgot today was my work's blood drive and I was scheduled to give blood.

Oh well. It's for a good cause. Don't want to accidentally pass out and die while squatting.

Petrie

Banned
P.S. anyone hear from Brolic recently? Maybe I am just missing his posts but I haven't seen him post for weeks.

We're friends on the Facebook and I'm pretty sure he's just knee deep in the new Call of Duty.

Sorry if I am crossing a boundary making this known.

Astral

I gained 5 pounds last week and I'm freaking out. I messed up my first bulk by starting at a high body fat percentage, I don't wanna mess up again. It's been a month of reverse dieting and a week of a small surplus and I'm already fatter. I do feel stronger but still feels bad.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I gained 5 pounds last week and I'm freaking out. I messed up my first bulk by starting at a high body fat percentage, I don't wanna mess up again. It's been a month of reverse dieting and a week of a small surplus and I'm already fatter. I do feel stronger but still feels bad.

Water weight, just be concerned if you keep moving up.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Funny I come check in and see this.

No, I've been posting videos, just not here. The transition is going great actually, slowly working up beltless and actually today I'm making a 200lb sandbag.

I've not posted here because there's some stuff going in I don't like and find pretty annoying and there's really no way to avoid it other than to simply avoid the thread for the most part.

No need to worry about me, I ain't giving up this lifestyle, I just won't be posting here much anymore.

I know me doing strictly cardio is weird, but..we do miss you.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
We're friends on the Facebook and I'm pretty sure he's just knee deep in the new Call of Duty.

Sorry if I am crossing a boundary making this known.

Search says he's not posted for just over a month.

Same here. Last time we heard from him, he said that he was transitioning to a strongman routine.

I'm waiting for him to post videos as he lifts atlas stones, tossing beer kegs, and pulling semi trucks.

No, I've been posting videos, just not here. The transition is going great actually, slowly working up beltless working some "event" stuff and actually today I'm making a 200lb sandbag. I'm also looking into getting a yoke and some other equipment around tax return time.

I've not posted here because there's some stuff going in I don't like and find pretty annoying and there's really no way to avoid it other than to simply avoid the thread for the most part.

No need to worry about me, I ain't giving up this lifestyle, I just won't be posting here much anymore.

yogloo

No, I've been posting videos, just not here. The transition is going great actually, slowly working up beltless working some "event" stuff and actually today I'm making a 200lb sandbag. I'm also looking into getting a yoke and some other equipment around tax return time.

Keep us updated once in awhile. I like reading about your progress,

Pyrokai

Hey guys,

I'm trying to find some cheaper fitness equipment (mainly weights and a bench), but I'm not sure where to look. I've heard craigslist, but I don't really see a section with a lot of fitness equipment. What exact section of craigslist do you guys check? I was checking in the "sporting" section of craigslist and found like 4 listings related to fitness equipment.

I also can't seem to find a used fitness equipment store in my area....sigh.....

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Trying to hit the 1000lb club before the end of my deployment.

So far my 1 rep max deadlift is 350, bench 265, and squat 300.

I've got a ways to go. And 2 months left to do it in (working each area once a week).

edit: for reference, I'm at ~180lbs, 5 foot 9. 3 months ago I was 165lb and could barely do 185 bench 5 times.

Trying to hit the 1000lb club before the end of my deployment.

Solid numbers. Keep it up and good luck.

Makes me sad we're losing Brolic because of certain thread-crapping nonsense.

Miss you buddy.

I am extremely appreciative of Brolic's contributions to this thread. He is (was?) a massive asset and it's a bummer to lose him. With that said, if he has an issue with how the thread is being ran, I wish he would either PM the individual poster/posters and explain his complaint to see if things can be resolved or that he would just post in this thread to discuss the problem. I don't know what the issue is, but I don't want it silently killing FitGAF.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
FitGAF will be just fine but it's a massive downer losing Brolic. You will be missed big guy.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Solid numbers. Keep it up and good luck.

I am extremely appreciative of Brolic's contributions to this thread. He is (was?) a massive asset and it's a bummer to lose him. With that said, if he has an issue with how the thread is being ran, I wish he would either PM the individual poster/posters and explain his complaint to see if things can be resolved or that he would just post in this thread to discuss the problem. I don't know what the issue is, but I don't want it silently killing FitGAF.

The issue was already discussed briefly on page 83 and 84 (100 posts/page).

Yeah, same issue and it's only gotten worse. Better to just remove myself.

FitGAF will be just fine but it's a massive downer losing Brolic. You will be missed big guy.

Yep, it was around before me and will be around long after. No doubt about that.

Keep us updated once in awhile. I like reading about your progress,

I know me doing strictly cardio is weird, but..we do miss you.

Makes me sad we're losing Brolic because of certain thread-crapping nonsense.

Miss you buddy.

You guys and anyone else who wants to can feel free to add me on FB just let me know who you are. You can also follow me on YouTube. I follow a few others here there as well like cooter, MTP and FE.

And even though I don't post here, feel free to shoot me a PM here or anywhere else if you need/want advice. Some people already do this. I have absolutely no problem helping people and it's one of the main reasons I even posted here anymore.

I'll link to my latest FB pic and latest video for anyone that wants to sub/FR.

https://www.facebook.com/JWFJR/posts/10205323997770406:0

http://youtu.be/xgVx2mPK4Cw

Wolfe

it helps engage the lats more

That's great and all but without elaboration I'm still in the dark here, give me some details :)

Edit: I understand if it seems like it should be an obvious thing but it's not something I've ever heard before, I mean for example what direction are you "bending" it towards, anything else that goes into it?

I'm genuinely curious, thanks.

The issue was already discussed briefly on page 83 and 84 (100 posts/page).

I see it now. I was on my honeymoon at the time so admittedly wasn't checking into GAF, let alone the internet, too often.

There's not much to update as for my lifting progress. I had to cut back everything by 10-20% after going nearly 6 weeks without lifting due to my wedding/honeymoon/travelling for 4 other weddings, but the past few weeks have been much better. Going Monday Tuesday Thursday Friday consistently around lunch time, dialing in my eating back to normal, and most importantly, feeling good about myself and enjoying each lifting session. My old leg day was back squats, front squats, leg press, and barbell lunges and to be honest it was too much for me to get through in one hour without feeling like shit each time or having to cut the weight down too much. I basically dropped the lunges and leg press and just added in more time for stretches/brocurls and it makes the day much more effective. Able to push more from my squats/front squats too.

Chocobro

That's great and all but without elaboration I'm still in the dark here, give me some details :)

Edit: I understand if it seems like it should be an obvious thing but it's not something I've ever heard before, I mean for example what direction are you "bending" it towards, anything else that goes into it?

I'm genuinely curious, thanks.

You're bending it so your right hand turns clockwise and your left hand turns counter-clockwise. It promotes external rotation and it happens to engage your lats more, as ipitydatfu posted.

Brolic, I really appreciate your guidance in my bench press and OHP form half a year ago. I subscribed to you on YouTube because I'm interested in how the strongman training goes, even though I don't plan on getting into it myself.

Yeah, same issue and it's only gotten worse. Better to just remove myself.

Yep, it was around before me and will be around long after. No doubt about that.

You guys and anyone else who wants to can feel free to add me on FB just let me know who you are. You can also follow me on YouTube. I follow a few others here there as well like cooter, MTP and FE.

And even though I don't post here, feel free to shoot me a PM here or anywhere else if you need/want advice. Some people already do this. I have absolutely no problem helping people and it's one of the main reasons I even posted here anymore.

I'll link to my latest FB pic and latest video for anyone that wants to sub/FR.

https://www.facebook.com/JWFJR/posts/10205323997770406:0

http://youtu.be/xgVx2mPK4Cw
I know I'm probably a contribution to the stuff you don't like seeing in this thread, but if I can say one thing. Don't walk away, in fact it should encourage you to post most and contribute to what you feel this thread should be about for you.

As you have seen already, many people here, myself included, look toward your posts for guidance, motivation, and inspiration. To take it out of the thread hurts everyone.

That all being said. I'm doing the same thing. I felt like I was stepping on toes so I don't post much anymore here myself.

Sadetar

I am sure we all appreciate Brolic's helpful advices and wide knowledge.

We are all adults here. I don't say we need to all deeply love and care for each other (I kinda do though) but I was hoping we could all get along despite that.

It saddens me to see this kind of escalation in the situation.

I know I'm probably a contribution to the stuff you don't like seeing in this thread, but if I can say one thing. Don't walk away, in fact it should encourage you to post most and contribute to what you feel this thread should be about for you.

As you have seen already, many people here, myself included, look toward your posts for guidance, motivation, and inspiration. To take it out of the thread hurts everyone.

That all being said. I'm doing the same thing. I felt like I was stepping on toes so I don't post much anymore here myself.
Sweetie, I can't imagine anybody would have anything against you - you are one of the most sincere, helpful and likeable person there can possibly be. You have no need to feel you are stepping on anyone's toes so keep posting and sharing. Please.

I also think that Brolic should stick around and post things that he thinks the thread should be about. If he don't like me / my posting style he can easily but me on ignore. No need to make this bigger than it really is. I never thought that my light-hearted comments and compliments could be taken that seriously. To me this place, this thread, is all about good vibes, nice words, motivation and encouraging athmosphere. I am still hoping we could understand or at least tolerate everyone in here.

But.. but... words are important!

Thank you! :)
Hahah, they are indeed.

And you are very welcome. :)

rokkerkory

Took my bodyfat % test today via hydrostatic. First time ever.

It's nice for me to gauge my progress and goal. Got under 10% BF as I head into bulk up season. I also know the amount of calories I need per day to maintain so adding bulking calories on top will be easier to determine.

7590_10152782877653758_8234713953564397855_n.jpg

Sadetar

I bought a new work out pants a little while ago and now I am trying to figure out are they not as good quality as my old ones or is my new gym program just so much better.

I have always sweat a lot at the gym but nowadays I seem to do it so much more than I used to and I feel way hotter (temperature wise) when I work out (and also yes, more out of breath). I mean there is drops of sweat around me when I squat or deadlift and my new pants don't seem to breath perhaps as much. So yeah, I am just mainly thinking that it is possible that the pants are actually as good as the oldies were but because I do free weights instead of machines and isolated work it just actually makes me sweat more. It might be also a little bit of both. Hmmm.

Hi GAF. I need some help hitting my goals. For background I tore my ACL over a year ago. i am 15 months post surgery and recovering nicely (did a half marathon a few weeks ago, albeit slowly). I ended up injuring my foot on my surgery leg from trying to ramp up too quickly.

So goal wise: I am 5'9" and 172 lbs. According to my Aria scale I am about 20-21% body fat. What I want to ideally be around 162 and 14% body fat. I do like longer distance running, but honestly right now I don't have time. So I would like to focus on doing more 5/10k's. I have some running experience, but honestly I haven't done a program that results in a markedly faster pace.

My surgery leg is getting better and better. But if i go downstairs and focus all my weight on my surgery leg my quad will "shake" a bit still. So again, I know I have work there.

Here is my current regiment:

Run on treadmill/outdoors 3x a week
Cross train (my road bike, indoor bike, and now trying out row machine) 1-2x a week

Exercises:

What I call "calf raises" on the stairs using bodyweight first with both feet, then single leg on each size 3x sets 10 reps each

Ankles on exercise ball, lift body and curl exercise ball toward my butt emphasizing left left.

Single and double leg press

squat and hold on an upside-down boss ball 60 seconds at a time going far down enough to where both of my quads physically shake

Not as often but I know i should do more:

Box jumps from box @ knee height. 3x sets and 15 jumps each
Monster walks with 1-2 resistance bands around ankles
3x jump and lands on "surgery" size to build confidence on landings. (Basically single leg push off and go as far as I can forward, push off opposite leg, and then land on the original leg)
Ankle weight leg lifts (i need a heavier ankle weight to do this anymore).

Most of the exercises listed above are what I did in PT, but I am open to new plyo/cardio suggestions to start improving cardio wise. I am not really interested in bulking up at all. Instead I want to build flexibility and cardio capability as I love outdoor cycling and jogging over lifting. Thanks guys/gals.

rokkerkory

^ Sounds good in terms of workout. What about your diet?

I am your height but went from 162lbs now down to 150ish really but changing diet and keeping working same.

^ Sounds good in terms of workout. What about your diet?

I am your height but went from 162lbs now down to 150ish really but changing diet and keeping working same.

I'm counting calories as best as I can in myfitnesspal. I gave up soft drinks a few years back and I barely drink alcohol. I also have reduced my meat consumption to 1 meal a day. Trying to eat more meals consisting of different types of vegetables. I'm down from 177 at my peak to my current weight.

My starting sefecit is about 500 cal/day. Is that too little or too much?

Wolfe

You're bending it so your right hand turns clockwise and your left hand turns counter-clockwise. It promotes external rotation and it happens to engage your lats more, as ipitydatfu posted.

Cool thanks for the explanation, I'm interested in testing it out tomorrow.

Karak

Received my versaclimber and for the first time in over a decade I am a bit nervous. I am stubborn and the machine kills professionals daily ha! It can only end in one of two ways.

CrankyJay

Banned
Does anyone know if MFP lets you set different daily calorie goals...such as, bump up calories on specified work out days? That would be awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom