• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pete Rock

Also met a girl that lifts and fully understands the magic of squats. :)
Oh yeah that is whatsup! Good for you!

Saw my gym gf yesterday and asked if she was using the fat bar in the rack and she said "yeah I'm using both of them, but you can take that one, I've done enough legs today and I can do leg press instead" and I almost tripped over myself trying to cut off my brain from saying out loud "I'd rather see you squat any day" - instead I had to modify this to "I try not to do anything that keeps someone from squatting, so if you need it go ahead, I can use another bar" - but she insisted I take it anyways. /swoooon lol

I suppose the voice of reason has spoken, no more complimenting each others pictures unless the statements are purely objective and platonic! Don't want anyone coming down with a case of the vapors, after all.

Move ya body!!!

keezy

Time to switch off my shitty EAS bullshit...and go to ON.

Just did EAS out of convenience because it's available in 5lb bags from BJ's Wholesale.

Best source to get ON?

Try allstarhealth.com

That's where I get all my supps from. Good prices and fast shipping.

dpsnutrition.com is good for supplements as well, usually have 5% off for orders over $25 and 10% off for orders over $75. 5lb gold standard is also $57.99, the 10lb bag is $111.99 at 10% off its $100.80. no tax but they charge shipping, usually get some free shit thrown in on top of that. Compare to $137 on amazon

they have some deals with certain companies where you'll get an additional 10% if you buy $75 worth of that brand.

Zero2kz

I usually use TigerFitness.com, but just because it is located in the same state (Ohio). Even choosing standard 5-7 day shipping, I often get it 2 days after ordering.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
185 lbs. on my deadlifts. Fuck YEAH. Goal is to surpass 200, which would be the first of my lifts to cross such a barrier. After that I'll never have to do deadlifts again. Woo!

One slight problem though...

My grip really started to give way once by my second rep. I was able to do all my reps sure, but my grip was really loose. Any tips on how to fix that?

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Why can't every day at the gym get me as excited as deadlift day? This is the one day of the week that I actually look forward to now. That's probably not a good sign. It's not that I don't enjoy the other days once I get there and get going but I actually think about DLing throughout the day when it's Thursday. Anyone else starting to get to a point like this regarding their lifting?

Deadlift day is the best. I got 405x4 beltless today. I'm so glad I reset my weights and decided to go as far as I can without a belt (without hurting myself).

Zero2kz

Why can't every day at the gym get me as excited as deadlift day? This is the one day of the week that I actually look forward to now. That's probably not a good sign. It's not that I don't enjoy the other days once I get there and get going but I actually think about DLing throughout the day when it's Thursday. Anyone else starting to get to a point like this regarding their lifting?

I had to stop being so excited about Deadlift day at least temporarily until I work my way back up from my back injury.

I am trying to divert my excitement to my bench press, but I just can't do it. Deadlifts are just too much fun.

Chocobro

185 lbs. on my deadlifts. Fuck YEAH. Goal is to surpass 200, which would be the first of my lifts to cross such a barrier. After that I'll never have to do deadlifts again. Woo!

One slight problem though...

My grip really started to give way once by my second rep. I was able to do all my reps sure, but my grip was really loose. Any tips on how to fix that?

Never have to do deadlifts again? Whatttttt? :( Aim for 225, 315, and so on after 200!

One thing you can do is include static hold at the very end of the set. If your set calls for 5 reps, do five deadlifts and on the fifth one, hold it at the top. Here's an example from my DLs yesterday. You'll have to forgive me for how long my set is and for my form at the end because AMRAP deadlifts is just fatiguing.
The last couple of months I followed Ben Rice's advice on developing grip strength and it could be helping me. Get a lacrosse ball and squeeze it 100 times for each finger and with your whole hand; so it is 600 squeezes per hand. You can do it every night, while you watch videos or read, whenever. Be consistent about it.

EDIT: Could do dead hangs from a pull-up bar or farmers walk with DBs. If all of these doesn't help, then consider hook grip, alternating grip, chalk, or straps.

Grip will get stronger the harder you work it during deadlift, of course, but what's also been helping me is adding barbell shrugs as an accessory lift at the end of the workout. The lift and the static hold at the top of shrug both work your grip very hard.

I must try some full on deadlifting. I've only been doing the dumbbell sort for a while, would be interesting to see what I can lift.

Oblivion

Never have to do deadlifts again? Whatttttt? :( Aim for 225, 315, and so on after 200!

Haha, just a little fitness-gaf joke. For better or worse, I've learned when you lift, you lift FOREVER.

One thing you can do is include static hold at the very end of the set. If your set calls for 5 reps, do five deadlifts and on the fifth one, hold it at the top. Here's an example from my DLs yesterday. You'll have to forgive me for how long my set is and for my form at the end because AMRAP deadlifts is just fatiguing.
The last couple of months I followed Ben Rice's advice on developing grip strength and it could be helping me. Get a lacrosse ball and squeeze it 100 times for each finger and with your whole hand; so it is 600 squeezes per hand. You can do it every night, while you watch videos or read, whenever. Be consistent about it.

EDIT: Could do dead hangs from a pull-up bar or farmers walk with DBs. If all of these doesn't help, then consider hook grip, alternating grip, chalk, or straps.

Grip will get stronger the harder you work it during deadlift, of course, but what's also been helping me is adding barbell shrugs as an accessory lift at the end of the workout. The lift and the static hold at the top of shrug both work your grip very hard.

Cool beans, thanks!

Chocobro

Haha, just a little fitness-gaf joke. For better or worse, I've learned when you lift, you lift FOREVER.

Yeah, my squats and deadlifts take quite a bit of time. Upper body lifts are really fast, but lower body lifts are so much more technical in terms of technique for me, I try to make sure everything is followed.
I might have to change where I DL because that mat or specific part of the ground is a bit convex so the weight would shift around and I would have to either roll the weight or move my feet, both of which adds time between the reps. Getting air, following Rippetoe's steps, and pulling the slack out of the bar are important for me as well.
Anyway I might see how much I can speed it up next week with 200 lb DL AMRAP.

Szu

Just took a bday selfie of this 41 year old bastard.

f5KbLXl.jpg

Oblivion

I like deadlifts just cause it's the only lift where I've been able to progress at a non-shitty clip.

Szu

So, I had a bday dinner on sun and my in-laws brought a cake. It was a tiramisu cake.

My cousin also wanted to help celebrate, so she brought a green tea Chiffon cake.

My coworker got a cheesecake for me today.

When I got home, I found out my parents got me an ice cream cake.

Screw the Konami code for this week.

Game over, man. Game over.

You all heard me right. I'm complaining about having too much cake.

Szu, your biceps remind me of a story I meant to share with FitGAF. Basically I had a dream two nights ago that my wife told me she wished I had biceps like her high school boyfriend. That was all I remember from the dream. The next day I told my wife, jokingly, that she needs to not be such a jerk in my dreams.

...and also my body dysmorphia has clearly entered my dreams.

sphinx

the piano man
still haven't made up my mind regarding when I'll begin to increase my cals... I need to take breakfast for that and as I have mentioned, I hate eating in the morning, coming to terms with it.

and it sucks how much strength I lost post-injury and post -flu, my 5 RM on Bench, just for an example, completely plummeted.... well, just work my way up again I guess.

Just took a bday selfie of this 41 year old bastard.

Bday as in "birthday"? Congrats! I hope you celebrated accordingly

EDIT= oh just read you did, ;)

I would like to have your cellphone, or Sean's or Fallingedge's, I only get to take crappy blurry pics with my Samsung Galaxy 2... *hides in shame under the table.

I wanted to see how the shirt looks on bench day and got this.

it couldn't be any more offtopic but will share this gif I made of my left hand while practicing, which I posted in another thread,

if I can't get swole arms at least swole fingers

lefthand_zpsjm6545q1.gif

Zero2kz

So, I had a bday dinner on sun and my in-laws brought a cake. It was a tiramisu cake.

My cousin also wanted to help celebrate, so she brought a green tea Chiffon cake.

My coworker got a cheesecake for me today.

When I got home, I found out my parents got me an ice cream cake.

Screw the Konami code for this week.

Game over, man. Game over.

You all heard me right. I'm complaining about having too much cake.

If you need any help with those cakes, lemmie know.

PadPoet

505 Games Ltd
Decided to start dieting again for Xmas. I know it makes no sense right? :p

I'm on 2500 calories a day since November the 1st. Let's see how this goes :)

Wanna get that summer look again

10514703_659147054203138_8809880962668145834_n.jpg

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Simple question (I think), red meat (without fat) vs white meat, which one's better generally (for builking especially)? "Red meat's gonna give you cancer and and heart attack!" aside.

Matugi

Finished probably the most killer week I've ever had of chest. Failed 270x5 on Monday then only hit 5x5x5x4x3 at 255 today. It's aight though, gonna try to take it on again next week and hopefully I can hit it. Chest is gonna feel like hell this weekend. It's unsurprising though because this was the week I was supposed to hit my 1x5 and 5x5 PRs. So until next week, pesky PRs.

Simple question (I think), red meat (without fat) vs white meat, which one's better generally (for builking especially)? "Red meat's gonna give you cancer and and heart attack!" aside.

Red meat without fat? Is that like... lean steak? Or something highly processed? I mean, if I were bulking, I'd not really worry about it. Just buy whatever is fresh and tastes good. Track your macros (fat, protein, and carbohydrates) and make sure they fit within your goals and total calorie needs and you'll be fine.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Red meat without fat? Is that like... lean steak? Or something highly processed? I mean, if I were bulking, I'd not really worry about it. Just buy whatever is fresh and tastes good. Track your macros (fat, protein, and carbohydrates) and make sure they fit within your goals and total calorie needs and you'll be fine.

I meant lean yeah. :lol
Good, I'm tracking macros and calories, I was just curious.

Just to be sure I'm doing things the right way... I calculate calories and proteins/fat/carbs based on the weight of the food before cooking it, right?

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Sorry I'm late Szu. Happy birthday to one of my favorite people in here! Hope it was fun! First one with a child I believe? Yeah? I'm sure it was extra special.

So I was talking to a kid at my gym who did a powerlifting event recently. He weighed in at 181 and told me his number was 1017 and that he was in the top five. The entire time I'm thinking I'm pretty sure I can get 1250-1300 at 175 but I didn't want to be a selfish jerk and rain on his parade.

Szu

Sorry I'm late Szu. Happy birthday to one of my favorite people in here! Hope it was fun! First one with a child I believe? Yeah? I'm sure it was extra special.

So I was talking to a kid at my gym who did a powerlifting event recently. He weighed in at 181 and told me his number was 1017 and that he was in the top five. The entire time I'm thinking I'm pretty sure I can get 1250-1300 at 175 but I didn't want to be a selfish jerk and rain on his parade.

Thanks Cooter and everyone else.

Yep, my first one as a dad. The little guy was staring at me when I was eating the cake. I felt so sorry for him, but he get plenty of cake in the years to come.

demented

I'm doing keto, 2g protein/kg and 1g fat. Carb up day coming on Sunday, I'm doing 4g/kg but am I supposed to eat everything I already do and carbs on top of it? Because I'll go out of deficit but maybe I'm supposed to?

Recently, I had an epiphany when I discovered that Dijon mustard actually contains a decently high amount of protein pr. 100 gram.

Combined it with homemade hamburger meat for my whole wheat pita burgers.

sogood.gif

In other news: Had my first check-up at the physiotherapist regarding my torn ACL. Apparently Im back on the squat and deadlift team. Low volume and light lifting though whilst gradually increasing intensity at a much slower pace than previously.

If it drops to $30/2 lbs on a sale I'll try it some day, but I certainly agree... Their current price is about double what I normally expect to spend.

Oh so today after the gym I walked to a local gumbo place. There was a huge line so I walked a little further to a good pizza-by-the-slice place and had a big slice of cheese pizza. On my walk back I noticed the line to the gumbo place had cleared... So I stopped in and grabbed a big bowl of red beans and rice to eat back at my office.

The winter accidental bulk is here.

Matugi

Kinda? They priced their own funeral with the powder. Two pounds for 40 bucks? Yeah no thanks.

It'll get put on BB.com and be heavily subsidized, probably to $25 or so for two pounds which is still more than I want to pay. On the other hand, it is hard to find good isolates that are lactose free.

sphinx

the piano man
with all the recent talk about protein powders, I want to ask:

is this brand known in America?

that's exactly the one I use but Have no idea what kind of reputation it has. there's probably better than that but here in Germany I wouldn't know...

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm doing keto, 2g protein/kg and 1g fat. Carb up day coming on Sunday, I'm doing 4g/kg but am I supposed to eat everything I already do and carbs on top of it? Because I'll go out of deficit but maybe I'm supposed to?

You're not doing keto if your primary macronutrient is protein. 1g fat per kg of body weight sounds extremely low.

When it comes to carb ups, I think the best way is to just not think about it too much. Lots of people cut fat on their carb days/meals, but you probably won't notice too much of a difference either way.

Mr. X

Happy birthday Szu! With a name like that, you wouldn't happen to be a fan of the Wu too?

What's the verdict on the Samsung S Health app? Is the way it calculates and calorie recommendation accurate? Seems to put my BMI high but I dunno how accurate those things you hold out with arms extended are.

Successful keto isn't just low carb, it's high fat. A good rule of thumb (for lifters) is equal grams of fat and protein. For example:

- 200 grams of fat (1800 cals)
- 200 grams of protein (800 cals)
- (for many people) around 20 grams of carbs

For those doing keto that are not lifting, the fat to protein ratio can be increased.

Man, does anyone struggle with eating as a means to cope? Whenever something triggers a bad mood I get the worst cravings for the worst foods. It's a leftover from my overweight days and dealing with constant stress and depression. I just don't know how to deal with it sometimes.

It's hitting me hard as fuck tonight. I haven't even hit the gym today.

Usually I try to distract myself until all the delivery places close, then I'm OK, but it's not helping tonight, lol.

RoeBear

Man, does anyone struggle with eating as a means to cope? Whenever something triggers a bad mood I get the worst cravings for the worst foods. It's a leftover from my overweight days and dealing with constant stress and depression. I just don't know how to deal with it sometimes.

It's hitting me hard as fuck tonight. I haven't even hit the gym today.

Usually I try to distract myself until all the delivery places close, then I'm OK, but it's not helping tonight, lol.
When I get depressed I don't want to eat at all. It's probably not as bad as wanting unhealthy food, but it's still bad.

Someone brought me wings the other night at work. Since I'm at a gym everyone kept saying "cheat meal ehh?". I just nodded my head and kept on eating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom