• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBY

Banned
my nightmare... actually the worst thing that's happened to me was on a shoulder press, going to put the bar back, I over shot it on one side and it ripped my arm back. Luckily it was light enough that I could bring it back, but damn if I overshoot with heavy ass weights it could tear my shoulder right out of the socket.
That's why I shoulder press standing up, never understood bar placement on those racks

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
That's why I shoulder press standing up, never understood bar placement on those racks

I wish I could, Ceilings a bit too low in my lift room :(

edit-
I clicked and closed immediately, I don't dare see it.

can someone please summarize??

It's not gruesome, just scary. The guy lucked out big time, a seemingly endless list of dangers he missed out on there.

Imm0rt4l

What in the love of fuck did the spotter think he was doing? What, was he expecting him to power out of it at that point?

Idiot. Could have killed him.

To be fair I'm not sure there's anything the spotter could have done, and the weight is apparently something the guy can handle for triples on a good day. Dude misgrooved, and fell forward. Maybe the spotter could have helped pull the weight off his back so he can dump it?

edit: on 2nd viewing the spotter could have definitel been closer, might have helped him fix the misgroove

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
To be fair I'm not sure there's anything the spotter could have done, and the weight is apparently something the guy can handle for triples on a good day. Dude misgrooved, and fell forward. Maybe the spotter could have helped pull the weight off his back so he can dump it?

edit: on 2nd viewing the spotter could have definitel been closer, might have helped him fix the misgroove

It happened fast, I don't necessarily blame the guy, once that momentum kicked he wouldn't have saved it. He definitely could've done better, but he's probably seen him hit that on a regular basis.

Thing is, if you're not going to be ready for it then you shouldn't be there in the first place really. Wouldn't have taken much assist at that first grunt to have put him back on track.

All things considered though, I'm glad I use a power cage rather than a human though. :D

Matugi

In reality, the only thing that could've been different was the direction he failed. I've always been told bail by tossing it behind you. That' obviously an issue with the spotter there buy the spotter basically should've pulled it off his back while he threw it up.

Ric Flair

Banned
What are some good bulking exercises for the pectorals? I'm benching and using various chest machines throughout the gym. Are there any free-weight exercises in particular that work really well with bench presses? I'm building muscle, just wondering if there's anything I can throw in there that'll really work out well for me. Thanks gaf!

Matugi

What are some good bulking exercises for the pectorals? I'm benching and using various chest machines throughout the gym. Are there any free-weight exercises in particular that work really well with bench presses? I'm building muscle, just wondering if there's anything I can throw in there that'll really work out well for me. Thanks gaf!

My best chest gains have come from simply bench press and incline press, not millions of different accessories. But in general, unless you're doing cable crossovers, you can get better work from free weights. Flyes (flat and incline), incline dumbbell press, plate presses are all solid

So I do wide arm pull-ups and chin ups for lats but I want to hear some accessory exercises that people like. Lat pulldowns never really did it for me. I see Rope Straight-Arm Pulldowns are rated very highly.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
It's so funny to me when people ask what's the best way to get a big chest or big arms. A young kid who asked for my help deadlifting asked me Saturday if BB curls are best for getting big arms. Ha. My response to anyone who asks similar questions is always the same. Just eat man. Eat peanut butter. Eat meat. Eat veggies. The particular exercises you perform matter very little as long as you do them consistently. That being said, I always stress the critical importance of doing compounds.

So I do wide arm pull-ups and chin ups for lats but I want to hear some accessory exercises that people like. Lat pulldowns never really did it for me. I see Rope Straight-Arm Pulldowns are rated very highly.
Weighted pull ups, a variation of bent over rows, and heavy deads is all you need for back IMO.

So today I visited Gold Gym to start working with the kettle ball for squats, along with deadlifts and bench pressing. I realized quickly that I didn't do nearly as much reading on the kettleball squats so I wasn't really ready for the different style of lifting (if you recall I originally planned to do Squat+DL+BP as per starting strength, but the gym in question didn't have a squat or power rack, and I didn't want to use their Smith Machine).

In the end, I was crash coursed on some squatting calisthenic/stretching by one of the gyms personal trainers, which was nice (although awkward because I had a previous encounter with this lady that ended with me telling her that she looked 7 years older than she actually was...but I'll save that story for another time :p ). She set me up for a "free consultation" for their personal training program, which I'll take advantage of, although I was unsure on if I'd commit to it.

After that date was set and I realized that I COULD potentially be spending more money on doing things than I had originally planned, I decided to check out a certain smaller gym the next town over that I saw good reviews for online. I actually really like it. It's size and smaller clientele allows for more one on one time with the staff. The owner is a powerlifter on the side, and his son works there as well and apparently started competing himself. They don't have many multiples of equipment besides the cardio stuff, but they have most of what I think I'd want for starting off (including the ever elusive power rack). The main downside is that joining their gym would cost over 3 times as much as Gold's Gym's crazy 10 dollar a month thing, plus the family spot has a 1 year contract period. Still, I get the impression that compared to your typical membership, the family owned gym is pretty reasonable, and they do have the ability to be used 24 hours a day, which is handy since I work overnights and might be restless sometime on my day off.

I did bar lifts of the squats and benchpress to focus on form. I kinda wish I took the Starting Strength suggestion of building up in that 1st exercise session to find my initial working weight, but I decided to play it conservatively. Maybe next time. I deadlifted about 1/2 a plate so I could get a feel of lifting the bar closer to its proper starting position. The owner's son said that my bench and squat form seems adequate, but I'd need to work on my deadlift form and not lifting my back out too much.

Overall, I loved my experience at gym 2. I'm still going to check out the consultation at Gold's Gym but I'm really seeing myself sticking with the family spot. I'll have to make sure I adjust my budget to take on the new funds though since my current job is pretty low-paying.

On a related note, concerning that video, it reminds me of what was suggested at the family spot with squats. I was told that the holding rack should ideally be a little above your squat height because its more stable to raise up to put it in place than to drop down to land it in the holder. After watching that video, I feel like I'm going to hold onto that advice.

CrankyJay

Banned
Have a weird sensation in my left knee. No pain. It just feels loose and like it's not tracking properly. Occasionally when I step it's like there is a small feeling like a ligament is catching on something.

Wondering if I should avoid squatting tomorrow.

When I readjusted my diet and pushed too hard on squats, I failed and fell very similarly. Thankfully I was in the cage. Always protect yourselves brosephs.

Agreed. I don't understand why anyone would even want to try and hit their max outside of a cage. Just put the safety bars right below where you hit parallel. Boom, done.

Chocobro

Didn't think I would see this happen at my university gym... Some guy was doing incline bench presses and he had five 10 lb plates on each side lol.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Didn't think I would see this happen at my university gym... Some guy was doing incline bench presses and he had five 10 lb plates on each side lol.
I had a guy genuinely attempt to explain to me that nine 10lb plates on each side is heavier than two 45s because the weight is distributed over a greater area. I shit you not.

sphinx

the piano man
I had a guy genuinely attempt to explain to me that nine 10lb plates on each side is heavier than two 45s because the weight is distributed over a greater area. I shit you not.

I have to confess that at one point I thought that could be true. I remember benching with 2 plates (one 20kg plate on each side) and then trying with other weight distribution (four 10kg plates, I think) and with the single, bigger plate it felt easier :D dunno why

I concluded it doesn't make sense and that in one day I just had more energy than in the other.

To be fair, it could make a difference in more real-world situations, like if a person is carrying a small box vs a large box, both weighing the same amount. Perhaps these guys are thinking about that context when they put the weights on how they do.

So when I went to GG, I saw a guy benchpressing, and the "spotter" looked like he was actually lifting the bar up while the presser was pushing it up. I know that this is essentially wrong, but is it also common?

To be fair, it could make a difference in more real-world situations, like if a person is carrying a small box vs a large box, both weighing the same amount. Perhaps these guys are thinking about that context when they put the weights on how they do.

So when I went to GG, I saw a guy benchpressing, and the "spotter" looked like he was actually lifting the bar up while the presser was pushing it up. I know that this is essentially wrong, but is it also common?

It's all you bro.

Me: "I don't need help with the lift-off or re-racking and please don't touch the bar unless I ask for help."
Random gym spotter: "OK bro I got you."

The spotter proceeds to lift 50% of the weight on each rep for the next 5 reps. I proceed to imagine what it'd be like to slam a 10 lbs plate into the guy's face.

the 9-plate set-up should be heavier, not because it's distributed over a wider area though.

weight plates will lose trace amounts of mass over time, so in a way to future-proof them, manufacturers ship out weights that are 1 - 2 lbs heavier than what's is read on the plate.

So if you set up a weight with 2 plates, that's a potential error of 4lbs, but if you set it up with 18 weights that's a potential error of 40lbs.

the 9-plate set-up should be heavier, not because it's distributed over a wider area though.

weight plates will lose trace amounts of mass over time, so in a way to future-proof them, manufacturers ship out weights that are 1 - 2 lbs heavier than what's is read on the plate.

So if you set up a weight with 2 plates, that's a potential error of 4lbs, but if you set it up with 18 weights that's a potential error of 40lbs.

So you're saying a half pound weight is more like 1.5 lbs? I think that's incorrect. I believe that manufacturers increase the weight of each plate by a flat % if they do any such future-proofing at all. So if you have two 10 lb weights that are 5% heavier then it'll weigh a total of 21 lbs. If you have four 5 lb weights that are 5% heavier then it'll still weigh 21 lbs. Using anything but a flat percentage as extra to future proof doesn't make sense... If they actually do as you say, they need to fire their engineers.

So you're saying a half pound weight is more like 1.5 lbs? I think that's incorrect. I believe that manufacturers increase the weight of each plate by a flat % if they do any such future-proofing at all. So if you have two 10 lb weights that are 5% heavier then it'll weigh a total of 21 lbs. If you have four 5 lb weights that are 5% heavier then it'll still weigh 21 lbs. Using anything but a flat percentage as extra to future proof doesn't make sense... If they actually do as you say, they need to fire their engineers.

The manufacturing process for creating weights isn't as consistent as you seem to think it is. And a commercial gym isn't going to pay the premium it costs for plates that are perfectly weighted.

Chocobro

I don't think manufacturers intentionally increase the weight to counter against loss of mass over time. At the time of creation there'll be a deviation in weight due to mechanical errors and what not. A 45 lb plate could range from say 42 - 48 lb.

EDIT: After thinking about it some more, manufacturers could be intentionally increasing the weights for the iron plates, but no so much with the rubberized plates.

e96087eebc0dd7fbcd58b322eceb452d3171e958d379d12df1a523d3a2c02be1.jpg

I've been away on a work trip for 2 weeks, gym handed me my ass yesterday and doms today were like "oh hey we missed you mahfucka!" :'(

Petrie

Banned
1 down, 2 to go when it comes to hitting the weights needed for my 1000lb total Dead/Squat/Bench.

390 x 6 on deads today.

Bench is up next on Thursday. Let's go!

Petrie

Banned
He could've been doing drop sets.

I'm always adding odd plates and people look at me weird. For instance on 5/3/1 for my deadlifts, between sets I have to add 20lbs to each side. And I typically do this with 4 10lb plates. Why would I strip and add plates when there are plenty to go around?

Tried two a day training for the first time today (arm day plus endurance training on turbo trainer). Really hard, the weights took far more out of me than I thought they would.

Might have to scale back the power levels on the bike to compensate a bit.

Sadetar

I'm glad you two found the spreadsheet helpful; I make things like that often.

And I'm so jealous and mad at this:

These are the adidas adiStar, before the adiPower came. These retailed for $200 and were discontinued many years ago. This guy scored one for $22...and it looks almost brand new.
Yep. That was super helpful indeed! ^_^

Also somebody was ridiculously lucky... I am slightly jealous myself as well. :p

Phew, I'm back fit-bros (and gals).

Wife and I took a trip with the whole family to Disney World this past week. The food on the Disney dining plan...D: let's just say it was an epic week for eating.

Back to reality now. I'm ready to start up Iron Sport method again, but might just do 3 days a week (Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, Squat, Bench, Dead and then the next week OHP, Squat, Bench and keep cycling like that). I also gotta email Stevie P and set up my 3 personal training sessions :)
Yay! Good to have you back!

I also needed to do a reality check and get my diet back on track after the holiday. From the sound of it it seems you have it all planned up already. :)

I've been away on a work trip for 2 weeks, gym handed me my ass yesterday and doms today were like "oh hey we missed you mahfucka!" :'(
Oh yes, join the club.

After vacation and not going to gym for two weeks did that to me as well. Add a new gym program on top of that and the results were the worst doms of my life. They are actually still worse than they used to be even if I have been going again for two weeks. I don't know do bigger movements compared to machine work need more time to get used to or are they just generally worse with free weights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so27-EFsMPw

someone needs to tell this Lenny guy to hang itup.

it's a wrap
What the actual fuck did I just watch...

I now want to carve my innocent little eyes out and put them into therapy and hope that they forget.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPVBYI4N3Js

new broscience on the pump

the realest shit I've watched this week.
<3

Can any of you guys recommend a heart rate strap for the iPhone 5s? Need to get one for the missus and I only really know the ANT+ ones rather than Bluetooth LE.

P44

I...I dunno.

Sort of goes back to levers and moments maths. Those 45's are going to be as close as they can be to you, but the 10's bookending each side will be further away. The force you need to exert to lift the 10's at the end would be more than the 10's very close to you - it would be minor, but I think it would be harder; the distance wouldn't be enough to make it much harder though.

Slurmer

Banned
I sometimes get pain/burning in my elbows when working out my chest (bench and flys mostly.). I'm always worried about my form and was curious if someone here might be able to pinpoint that as a possible form issue. Thanks!

I...I dunno.

Sort of goes back to levers and moments maths. Those 45's are going to be as close as they can be to you, but the 10's bookending each side will be further away. The force you need to exert to lift the 10's at the end would be more than the 10's very close to you - it would be minor, but I think it would be harder; the distance wouldn't be enough to make it much harder though.

There is no difference. The bar weighs the same no matter where the weights are on it. The position of the weights will have an effect on its rotational inertia, but the force up and down is the same no matter what. And if the bar is balanced, there is no rotational inertia.

meow

Hi everyone, just a quick question. I've always been thin, but I've also never been particularly fit (didn't exercise much). I wanted to change that so really for the past year or 1.5 years I've started to go to the gym regularly. I started off just cardio, but soon learned I needed to add strength training, so about the first half of 2014, I added leg workouts, and since this late summer, added more arm/core exercises.

I think I've made progress, no weight loss but my legs definitely look better and I know I have better core/upper body strength. My problem is I just have the most stubborn belly pudge (I feel like it's actually getting worse). Is this diet related? I know you can't spot reduce so wtf can I do to get this down? Can answer questions and appreciate any advice, if this isn't the correct thread to ask please let me know if there is a more appropriate OT!

Yes, diet related. The only real answer is eating less than you're using for a while, though it may take you a few weeks to work out what that is.

ILoveBish

Got 450x1 on deadlift today. I was going to go for more but was so thrilled I got that much I just did my accessories which beat me up good. I got it over halfway up and didn't know if I had it in me, but I channelled the power of Vince while he is banned and got it clean. Waiting for you keto bro.

Hit a new low of 249lbs today also. That is with the weight I gained with creatine. I'm 88.5lbs down, still a lot more to go, but loving the journey so much.

what motivates you guys to keep lifting? I haven't been to the gym in 3 months now, just can't find the motivation

I used to be very into my lifting, always sticking to schedule, taking supplements, good diet, always reading about routines and theory, but I've completely lost my passion for it.

My motivation before was sport, but I'm out of Uni now, and local teams aren't as competitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom