• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.
This actually surprises me or perhaps you define the word "attractive" in very different way than I do.

Talking about squats and deadlifts mine are pathetic.

I don't think the problem is the lack of strenght in my legs since I do think I have actually fairly strong ones, but my back and my spine are extremely poor. I honestly do deadlifts and squats with the same weight (10 kilos / 22 pounds) that I have in bench with barbells in one hand.

But shouldn't these actually make my inner corset and core muscles better so if I just stick with this I should be able to add the weight when my back get used to this?

I'll try to keep this somewhat relevant to the topic at hand...

Deal is this: when you're younger it's easy as hell to not be overweight. I used to roll around with a 6 pack when I was 19 and all it took was me going to karate class twice a week. When you get older, all that stupid crap you did bites you in the ass, and hard. So what happens is (in my experience so far) folks filter out to the edges and you have tons of people that rate 5 and below, a lot of whom used to be super attractive. Then you have the ones that are still attractive or put a hell of a lot of effort into getting that way, but have seen and heard literally every pickup approach known to man.

The good news is, it's very no bullshit. The bad news is that you better be good at the approach, because everybody's heard it all before and a lot of us are too damn busy to get to know organically.

I suck at approaching people so... gotta work on that.

Getting back to your back issues, I'd suggest finding yourself a good set of core exercises that include shoulder work (military presses, tons of planks and whatnot.) I wound up getting a personal trainer largely to help with this and it's really, really helped me a lot.

Zoe

Talking about squats and deadlifts mine are pathetic.

I don't think the problem is the lack of strenght in my legs since I do think I have actually fairly strong ones, but my back and my spine are extremely poor. I honestly do deadlifts and squats with the same weight (10 kilos / 22 pounds) that I have in bench with barbells in one hand.

But shouldn't these actually make my inner corset and core muscles better so if I just stick with this I should be able to add the weight when my back get used to this?

My core is terribly unbalanced--squats never helped with that, and I was doing considerably more weight than you are. You should incorporate targeted exercises rather than depend on the squats and deadlifts to fill that gap.

Zero2kz

Office had a bake sale today. My willpower was not strong enough.

x1 Lemon Bar
x2 Buckeyes
x1 Slice of Pumpkin Cake
x1 Slice of Apple Pie

leggo

Szu

November is turning into my early bulk season opener.

I just had another ice cream cake last night for my wife's bday.

In the next two weeks, I'll be celebrating my bdays for my brother and father in law. And thanksgiving is coming up.

There's too much food.

Fit world problems.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I also noticed you're using cross arm grip with the front squats. Did you switch over to it because the grip makes for a better transition to other strongman lifts such as sandbag and possibly atlas stones.

Nah, simply switched because I strained my wrist the other way. Plus I get a better rack like this, but I've come very close to blacking out.

Holy shit thats impressive. How do these feel vs doing standing OHP barbell? Easier or harder with the different hand placement?

edit: You kind of answered it so you don't have to answer mine if you're pressed for time. I'm also curious about your front squat form like Szu.

It feels very similar. And I wouldn't say it's easier or harder, just different.

I filmed myself and you guys were right - I'm not getting parallel on my squats. I went down to 340 lbs and actually went down as far as I could - it took everything I had and I couldn't even do a full set.

Thank you for looking out for me.

I filmed myself and you guys were right - I'm not getting parallel on my squats. I went down to 340 lbs and actually went down as far as I could - it took everything I had and I couldn't even do a full set.

Coming to the realization you aren't using a full range of motion is one of the worst feelings in the short-term, but is awesome long-term. Keep focusing on form, drop the weight as much as you need to break parallel, and you'll be back up in weight with proper form in no time.

Coming to the realization you aren't using a full range of motion is one of the worst feelings in the short-term, but is awesome long-term. Keep focusing on form, drop the weight as much as you need to break parallel, and you'll be back up in weight with proper form in no time.

Yeah for sure. Luckily I already feel like my squat is way ahead of my other lifts (even taking this blunder into account) so it doesn't feel too much like a setback.

Petrie

Banned

See Cooter! Sometimes I'm not just being a dick to people and am actually looking out for them!

My OCD inability to be quiet sometimes can benefit.

I'm genuinely glad to have at least brought the idea to your attention so that you can hopefully drop the weight quite a bit and work on form. form is much more important than numbers.

If I were you I'd drop it to at least 225lbs if not lower and really focus on relearning the form and the cues involved. I've been there on my squats a few years back, so I know it burns the ego, but it will be worth it.

ILoveBish

Brolic, seriously impressive stuff.

I'm going to take a few days off from the gym, have too much life stuff going on atm. I'll be back in Saturday night for bench. I've also got some new recipes to try out, and I'm going to do a writeup with pics on how I eat the same food everyday with calculations.

Looking forward to hitting the gym again, I'm really addicted to it.

CrankyJay

Banned
Brolic, seriously impressive stuff.

I'm going to take a few days off from the gym, have too much life stuff going on atm. I'll be back in Saturday night for bench. I've also got some new recipes to try out, and I'm going to do a writeup with pics on how I eat the same food everyday with calculations.

Looking forward to hitting the gym again, I'm really addicted to it.

I fucking hate it, but I love the way it makes me feel and the end result.

It feels very similar. And I wouldn't say it's easier or harder, just different.

Ah ok thanks.

edit: Has anyone strained the muscle right below your hip and kind in towards your groin? I can't seem to find this muscle's name but it sure as hell makes squats difficult (especially coming out of the hole) but doesn't seem to affect any other lift for me right now. It also seems to take along time to heal.

sphinx

the piano man
November is turning into my early bulk season opener.

I just had another ice cream cake last night for my wife's bday.

In the next two weeks, I'll be celebrating my bdays for my brother and father in law. And thanksgiving is coming up.

There's too much food.

Fit world problems.

I don't know what it is, maybe that november is a month that lends itself good to have a daily routine but I feel like I am riding a "wave of awesome" regarding fitness, I eat more, train more, feel better, like myself better, this has been all 3 novembers since I began working out. Right now I am mega pumped to hit the gym

my new roomate said to me "if I ate like you, I'd look like a cow", I laughed my ass off,

it's just double portion of everything but all I do with that is maintain! I told him "you have not seen what a real bulk looks like my, dear friend"

I hope I can see some substantial progress around Janaury 2015,

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
See Cooter! Sometimes I'm not just being a dick to people and am actually looking out for them!

My OCD inability to be quiet sometimes can benefit.

I'm genuinely glad to have at least brought the idea to your attention so that you can hopefully drop the weight quite a bit and work on form. form is much more important than numbers.

If I were you I'd drop it to at least 225lbs if not lower and really focus on relearning the form and the cues involved. I've been there on my squats a few years back, so I know it burns the ego, but it will be worth it.

I only think you're a dick to people that deserve to be treated as one. Nice work. Although for the record, I did point out how out of proportion his squat was to his DL in my own nicer way. Your method was much more effective however. I think I may have learned my lesson. Be more like Petrie! It's for their own good!

Petrie

Banned
I only think you're a dick to people that deserve to be treated as one. Nice work. Although for the record, I did point out how out of proportion his squat was to his DL in my own nicer way. Your method was much more effective however. I think I may have learned my lesson. Be more like Petrie! It's for their own good!

It's definitely just different method. Your way made it sound impressive, while mine is made to make people perhaps question why something is that way and ensure there's no underlying issue.

But yes, we should all be more like Petrie. That guy fucking rules. :)

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Ah ok thanks.

edit: Has anyone strained the muscle right below your hip and kind in towards your groin? I can't seem to find this muscle's name but it sure as hell makes squats difficult (especially coming out of the hole) but doesn't seem to affect any other lift for me right now. It also seems to take along time to heal.

Bring your stance in and see if the pain goes away, sounds like an enflamed groin. Might need a break from squatting for a bit, but try close stance first.

This happened to me a long time ago when I used to do super wide stance squats.

It's definitely just different method. Your way made it sound impressive, while mine is made to make people perhaps question why something is that way and ensure there's no underlying issue.

But yes, we should all be more like Petrie. That guy fucking rules. :)

I've more or less tired of it. Last one I nailed was ashodin and look how that turned out. He got pissed off thought I was bullying him and ultimately quit anyway. Waste of time to even bring it up.

At least this one turned out better, probsbly.

freshair

I think I may need to change up my grip or stance because I'm having trouble progressing with my squats.

I'm doing lowbar and sometimes I think I lean too far forward, which forces me sometimes push with my toes which is definitely something I shouldn't be doing.

However if I focus on maintaining a tight core and chest upright, it feels like the bar is slipping off my scapula.

Kind of a catch 22. Forward lean to accommodate the bar slipping, bar is slipping because chest is upright.

I should record it. Also I work out in my back gets sweaty. That shouldn't affect the bar though if I have proper form though, right?

Cooter

I've more or less tired of it. Last one I nailed was ashodin and look how that turned out. He got pissed off thought I was bullying him and ultimately quit anyway. Waste of time to even bring it up.

At least this one turned out better, probsbly.
Oh shit. Ashodin. Haha Forgot about that guy. Yeah, we all tried to help him. I guess it's easier to pop into a thread and simply post, "Friday is gym day!! Super pumped!" than actually follow our advice

Bring your stance in and see if the pain goes away, sounds like an enflamed groin. Might need a break from squatting for a bit, but try close stance first.

This happened to me a long time ago when I used to do super wide stance squats.

Ah okay thank you. Hopefully going light on it or taking a break and stretching more will help it heal quick.

Petrie

Banned
Oh shit. Ashodin. Haha Forgot about that guy. Yeah, we all tried to help him. I guess it's easier to pop into a thread and simply post, "Friday is gym day!! Super pumped!" than actually follow our advice

Just the difference between people who truly want to improve and those who want to be able to say "yeah I go to the gym, I got that swoliosis brah!"

SeanR1221

Nice comparison. 4 years ago vs today. Gotta keep moving forward. The past 6 months have really sucked post surgery but I'm staying positive and above all else staying consistent.

I'm no where near my 2014 goals but setbacks happen that you can't help.

sphinx

the piano man

Just the difference between people who truly want to improve and those who want to be able to say "yeah I go to the gym, I got that swoliosis brah!"

it's sad cause that guy reminded me of me when I started, it was all euphoria, plenty of willpower and very little knowledge and I remember I telling him so.

I was actually hoping he'd transform that positive energy into something more meaningfull. I hope he did, even if he left the thread.

______

nice pictures Sean!

As long as a legitimate drive to improve one's self is in there, I'm totally on-board with swoliosis.

it's sad cause that guy reminded me of me when I started, it was all euphoria, plenty of willpower and very little knowledge and I remember I telling him so.

I was actually hoping he'd transform that positive energy into something more meaningfull. I hope he did, even if he left the thread.

I agree with the bolded.

And yeah, solid stuff there to say the least Sean. Small-Guy-Sean has evolved into... SwoleSean!

CrankyJay

Banned
anyone ever feel like they have to crack their knee cap or something? I have a weird senstation in my knee, no pain, but it feels like i need to pop it or something to get it to feel normal.

anyone ever feel like they have to crack their knee cap or something? I have a weird senstation in my knee, no pain, but it feels like i need to pop it or something to get it to feel normal.

I get this. I just squat down and then put pressure onto just that leg and sort of roll my foot forward so I'm just on the balls of my feet while leaning forward and it cracks. Feels amazing.

J. Bravo

i put pressure on my big toe and ball of my foot and kind of cave my knee inwards a little bit and it pops lol. sometimes when i do that my hip/groin also pops. probably isn't good for me at all but it feels amazing.

Been doing GSLP for a couple of weeks now. I like it due to the fact that I'm not really squatting every workout and that I'm micro loading which helps keep me from stalling...

I would recommend that program over SS for novices over 30 yrs old

sphinx

the piano man
on the topic of accessory for delts:

Has anyone here tried the Arnold press over a decent amount of time? How would you rate it?

I'e been doing the DB frontal raise for a while but I really don't feel it on my delts, maybe I am doing it wrong? I always get a pump on forearms and branchialis, that's just it so I am considering putting it away and doing something else.

suggestions for accesory moves for anterior delts are welcome

Oh ya. I've been stretching my knees better lately but for awhile I was getting some odd stiffness. They are much better now though.

Cooter

Has anyone here tried the Arnold press over a decent amount of time? How would you rate it?

I'e been doing the DB frontal raise for a while but I really don't feel it on my delts, maybe I am doing it wrong? I always get a pump on forearms and branchialis, that's just it so I am considering putting it away and doing something else.

I did them for a few months. They work. No need to go very heavy.

Try bending at the elbow a little more on front raises if you are feeling it more in your forearms.

Zero2kz

I love Arnold Presses. I have a rotation when I blast shoulders, bent over raises, side raises, lateral raises and arnold presses. I do them back to back with only a minute rest between cycles.

So I can't necessarily say that it is all due to the arnold presses, but I definitely get a good burn and over time my shoulders have gotten noticeably larger.

3phemeral

While looking for lactose-free quality proteins, I came across this site which seems to do a thorough analysis of powders and the like, but since I'm unfamiliar with reputable websites that test the quality of these products, I was wondering if anyone here heard of them?

PricePlow

Even has a "choose your own adventure" walkthrough where you can find what you're looking for based off your needs. I'm a bit skeptical, however, because my rudimentary research pulled up some inconsistent results.

I tried searching for any mention of this site but came up empty.

Sadetar

SeanR1221, Awesome comparison pics! And even if you are not even near your goals of this year, you look totally swole none the less! Splendid work. :D

Thanks! I hope you're starting on the path to feeling better too. :(

PM me anytime and we can chat. :)
Yep. It is actually starting to feel better. I went light on Romanian deadlifts on Tuesday and that seemed to help a lot.

Also today was a splendid day at the gym! Hahah, I don't know how many of you remember me mentioning Epic Beast and goblet squats some time back, but I actually today talked to the Beast again for like 20 minutes or so. He was extremely friendly and checked my squats and Romanian deadlifts. He gave me couple nice tips to keep the form right and also complimented that my squats seemed so much better compared to the last time I talked to him. I had this stupid smile for the rest of the gym for the compliments and totally new motivation to do those since I now know again better that what I should be paying attention to form wise.

I'll try to keep this somewhat relevant to the topic at hand...

Deal is this: when you're younger it's easy as hell to not be overweight. I used to roll around with a 6 pack when I was 19 and all it took was me going to karate class twice a week. When you get older, all that stupid crap you did bites you in the ass, and hard. So what happens is (in my experience so far) folks filter out to the edges and you have tons of people that rate 5 and below, a lot of whom used to be super attractive. Then you have the ones that are still attractive or put a hell of a lot of effort into getting that way, but have seen and heard literally every pickup approach known to man.

The good news is, it's very no bullshit. The bad news is that you better be good at the approach, because everybody's heard it all before and a lot of us are too damn busy to get to know organically.

I suck at approaching people so... gotta work on that.
It seems that I might hang around with extremely fit people since I generally estimate their ages so much lower (they all seem to be in perfect shape). I realized at some point that my colleague most likely isn't younger than I am, if she already has an 18-year-old son. Oh well, more motivation for me to keep active and keep hitting the gym as well. :D I am sure this all would have been so much easier if I would have started this on early twenties instead of late twenties. But better late than never. :)

Oh and good luck with working on your approaches.

Getting back to your back issues, I'd suggest finding yourself a good set of core exercises that include shoulder work (military presses, tons of planks and whatnot.) I wound up getting a personal trainer largely to help with this and it's really, really helped me a lot.
My core is terribly unbalanced--squats never helped with that, and I was doing considerably more weight than you are. You should incorporate targeted exercises rather than depend on the squats and deadlifts to fill that gap.
I think I wasn't as informative as I should have been what comes to my back issues. I have slight problems with my lower back and couple disks in there. I have been doing core muscle training around the last two years now at home. Admittedly I don't do it daily anymore since it is so much better that I don't feel the need to, but I go to pilates still once a week and do planks and side planks and so forth about twice a week on top of that. Also I do Nordic walking once or twice a week at the moment since according to an orthopedic professor that I went couple times it will benefit the back. These had all helped me a lot and I haven't eaten any pain medication since early May.

Good that you mentioned those though since I think I need to start to do those mentioned core muscle training sessions more often now or at least when needed.

Now when I have changed my gym program to only free weights I have been feeling pain on the back of my tighs and I have been trying to figure out is it nerve pain or muscle pain. I am yet not sure, but of course the back is in new situation since I haven't done that kind of movements before. I am being hopeful that the back and spine will get used to it and that I can start to add weights at some point. I am still not counting this to be the only core work out for me, so no worries. I still very much appreciate both of your concerns and tips. ^_^

They are good. Whenever I do 531 I add those as my accessory lift because I do periodization.

I'd rate it 4 of 5. Better than regular dumbell press but not as good as OHP.

If you are looking to bring up your delts you might want to try pre exhaust. Start with rear and work your way forward. I did this for a while and saw decent results

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
ofcZ3Ot.jpg

And this talk of full ROM when it comes to compound exercises was a revelation to me a while ago with squats. I stated doing ass to grass and couldn't even do 135. I'm now above 200lb at 5 reps.

Nice comparison. 4 years ago vs today. Gotta keep moving forward. The past 6 months have really sucked post surgery but I'm staying positive and above all else staying consistent.

I'm no where near my 2014 goals but setbacks happen that you can't help.

the difference is huge, you look like an alien in your before pic heh

Gonna give this another go since the BS seems to have subsided and EL stepped in. Hopefully we can keep the BS out of here.

Strongman training is going well. Been training without a belt for a while now. Here's the progress. All Beltless.
Log press 195x5
http://youtu.be/_CjoG9vETtM

Front squat 315 deadlift 525 and front squat 250
http://youtu.be/nCJ27brE42E

200lb sandbag and 160lb handles 75 foot. Sandbag is one of the hardest things ive done.

http://youtu.be/c67-KNlYKA0

It can take a while brother. When it feels "okay" start very light and see how it goes. I've taken weeks off for my back and I took more than a month for my shoulder.

this is so damn awesome to me, I love it

I think this is the right thread to ask, but let me know if it isn't.

In order to help mental health issues, I've decided to lose a good amount of weight. I'm 6'2 and started at 244 lbs. I'm now down to around 220 lbs, but I'm plateauing a bit. I've decided to try a weekly refeed day. What kind of food so you recommend I add on that day for it to be most effective in resetting my body?

Also, if anyone cares, my goal is to be 180 pounds.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
For the people doing 531, have you guys done two days on one day off? I know everyone is different but this program emphasizes resting so I'm wondering if I'm kind of going against the intended grain.

CrankyJay

Banned
I think my body is telling me to take a break. Was planning on saving it for the week of Thanksgiving but it seems I may have to move it up. =/

I also think going Tuesday/Thursday/Friday isn't helping either. I really need that rest day between my 2nd and 3rd workouts. Sucks getting old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom