• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enco

Really need to sort my fitness out in 2015.

Feel like I've made nearly no progress the past 3 years. Some of my lifts have slightly increased and others are still pathetic. My diet has been on and off and I've been skipping workouts every now and then for various reasons (e.g. exams, holiday)

Feelsbadman

No more though. I think my biggest problem has been not eating enough. I just get scared of getting fat and I don't get that hungry. Going to work on that though and force my self to eat more. Need to start making gains like my first 6 months.

SeanR1221

I was off of lifting for a few weeks due to vacation followed by illness. Deadlifts are feeling off and getting back up to speed feels rough. Which brings me to my first ever form check here. Sorry for the poor video (lighting/vertical). Conditions in my basement aren't ideal.

240x3. Bar path looks bad. Also doesn't look like I'm pre-pulling but I swear I am :/ ugh.

http://youtu.be/IZvK5AYYQyY
The speed and strength is there but the starting position isn't. Your basically doing a straight leg deadlift with how high up your butt starts.

I threw this picture together.

Notice the ideal way vs your way?

If you get the chest up (think nipples to the wall) it should force your to sit back into it more and that will get your butt lower. Then, you don't pull straight up, you pull into yourself. That prevents your butt shooting up early from the start. Finally, at the end, you hump the bar to finish the lockout.

Edit: I don't know why the ideal model got so zoomed in

Faiz

The speed and strength is there but the starting position isn't. Your basically doing a straight leg deadlift with how high up your butt starts.

I threw this picture together.

Notice the ideal way vs your way?

If you get the chest up (think nipples to the wall) it should force your to sit back into it more and that will get your butt lower. Then, you don't pull straight up, you pull into yourself. That prevents your butt shooting up early from the start. Finally, at the end, you hump the bar to finish the lockout.

Edit: I don't know why the ideal model got so zoomed in

Yeah you are right, butt starts a little too high. I think it originates from an over correction - a while back I had the opposite problem and now I'm too conscious of it. Time off has me exaggerating it quite a bit.

I'll get another of 250 and post next week. Thanks!

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Hahaha. I will be waiting for those! :p

Also nobody could ever think you would be an egotistical meatheads since you are such a sweetheart. ;)
Assuming you've been a good girl obviously!

My gym is open from 7-1 today?? WTF?!

Eating like a pig. Stupid lack of places open over Christmas. =/

Can't even get healthy food in advance as no space in hotel fridge (full of overpriced snacks and drink).

sphinx

the piano man
Eating like a pig. Stupid lack of places open over Christmas. =/

Can't even get healthy food in advance as no space in hotel fridge (full of overpriced snacks and drink).

I forgot to buy in advance so I am headed to mcdonalds :(

it tastes very good in Germany, real tomatoes and stuff but far from ideal.

You know my fridge is just like that!

:D

Wouldn't be so bad but it's the sort that charges you automatically when you remove them so if I clear out the fridge I then have to argue at checkout that I actually didn't eat any of it.

I forgot to buy in advance so I am headed to mcdonalds :(

it tastes very good in Germany, real tomatoes and stuff but far from ideal.

I've done Burger King a couple of times. Not quite as nasty as McDonalds.

alternade

Subbing to this thread.

Getting back on the wagon after I realized that 90% of my closet doesn't fit and I cant afford to keep buying new clothes. Always being physically uncomfortable and depressed with my image is getting tiring as well. Dropping all fast food and soft drink from my diet. I bought a dumbbell set and bench press for my room.

Currently I am 6'2'' 280~. Ideally would like to drop 60lbs but would be happy with 30-40.

I'm following the Buff Dudes 12 week plan on Youtube for the workouts and just trying to eat less bread, rice and pasta and bring in more vegetables and lean meats.

Wish me luck FitGaf!

Azulsky

So it looks like I am just stuck with knee issues at this point, aside from losing more weight there is nothing I can do about it except not agitate it and wait for science. In the meantime Orthopedist doesnt want me to do anything that will overload my knees. This kills the prospect of doing many fundamental lifts.

The only leg exercise he is really condoning, more like prescribing is the Leg Extension. He said I should be fine using my legs to balance myself on other things like the bench press but to take my time trying each one out.

I really would like to improve my torso, mostly arms/shoulders to try to fill out skin. I guess what I was thinking was getting some kind of dumbbell set or adjustable set and a bench. Does anyone know of any routines tailored for people with knee issues? I'm hoping that I am not the only person with this problem?

You know you're de-conditioned when you can't even foam roll your quads for more than 2-3 minutes before your upper body and core give up!

A tweaked shoulder last spring, then taking too much time off by reading and playing video games for months, I finally am becoming inspired to start strengthening my shoulder and weak parts. So here I am smaller and so weak I can't even foam roll without getting winded, haha.

At least I know I only have 1 direction to go from here.
Was wondering why you weren't posting. Good to see you're getting back on track.

Subbing to this thread.

Getting back on the wagon after I realized that 90% of my closet doesn't fit and I cant afford to keep buying new clothes. Always being physically uncomfortable and depressed with my image is getting tiring as well. Dropping all fast food and soft drink from my diet. I bought a dumbbell set and bench press for my room.

Currently I am 6'2'' 280~. Ideally would like to drop 60lbs but would be happy with 30-40.

I'm following the Buff Dudes 12 week plan on Youtube for the workouts and just trying to eat less bread, rice and pasta and bring in more vegetables and lean meats.

Wish me luck FitGaf!

Good luck and welcome. Let us know if you have any questions and we'll do our best to help you achieve your goals.

As for me... I am at the in-laws for a few days. Brought some Questbars to hold me over because breakfast and most meals with them are just carbs on carbs on carbs. Breakfast today was cereal (no more than 2g protein per 1 cup serving), muffins, and bananas. Had a banana with a big-ass glass of milk and snuck a Questbar when I was showering... Don't want to offend them. But, shit, I am fine eating carbs but fuck let's get some protein in these meals please. I miss my daily breakfast bowl of oatmeal/Greek yogurt and scrambled eggs.

New personal record on bench press: 205 for 3 sets of 5, without a spotter. Feels good. I'm trying to get it up as much as I can before I start cutting on January 4th.

Mr.Swag

Banned
How bad is it to only work out the pecs with the sit up chest press, pec fly, and push UPS? Like, do I need to bench as well?
I dont like benching.

O.v.e.rlord

Banned
Freaking busy as hell right now at my gym!! New Years started early or what? I don't know 95% of these people and I've been going to the same gym for 3 years!

How bad is it to only work out the pecs with the sit up chest press, pec fly, and push UPS? Like, do I need to bench as well?
I dont like benching.

It's not bad but also not that good as well. From my experience you have to vary your workout to stimulate muscle growth. Doing the same thing over and over you'll hit a wall and never get over it. (There's term for this just can't spell it)

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I dont like benching.

Benching is a nice compound movement. Pushups are similar in regards the group of muscles they hit but if strength for that specific movementis your goal you'd need to bench.

If you're trying to grow your pecs specifically, then what you're doing is fine. Just program accordingly.

SeanR1221

Freaking busy as hell right now at my gym!! New Years started early or what? I don't know 95% of these people and I've been going to the same gym for 3 years!

It's not bad but also not that good as well. From my experience you have to vary your workout to stimulate muscle growth. Doing the same thing over and over you'll hit a wall and never get over it. (There's term for this just can't spell it)

Yeah I'm afraid to go. I might go an hour and a half before closing, around dinner time. Gotta bench and it's probably swamped right now.

So I wont be going back to that gym... I have a massive fear of falling and all the equipment bar one bit (rowing machine) looks out of full length windows on the top floor of the skyscraper.

I can't even tell you how freaked out I was getting. =(

My gym was a wasteland today. It was just me and 2 other guys in the weight room. Its weird to see you all talking about how packed your gyms are

TxdoHawk

So when do gyms start throwing deals in the path of the herd of resolutioners?

I did a week of free pass at 24 Hour Fitness, really liked it, but there's no deals and I am trying to hold out for them. Am I literally going to have to wait for next Thursday? You'd think gyms would be trying to offer deals post-Xmas to beat others to the punch.

I would do the Costco thing, but they have a specific ban on NJ/NY gyms. :|

So I wont be going back to that gym... I have a massive fear of falling and all the equipment bar one bit (rowing machine) looks out of full length windows on the top floor of the skyscraper.

I can't even tell you how freaked out I was getting. =(

So what's your plan going forward? Able to find another gym?

BadTaste

My fingers genuinely feel like they're gonna fall off when doing DB Front Raises, only starts to hurt during the end of the 2nd set, so the rest of the sets are excruciating.

I do alternating raises so it's twice as long, I blame my grip strength tbh.

So what's your plan going forward? Able to find another gym?

Tomorrow I'm going to do some body weight stuff in the hotel room then the next day I'm heading back to the UK so not a problem any more. Bit annoying though as it took ages to find hotels with semi-decent gym facilities.

sphinx

the piano man
Is there a fake tomato epidemic in Germany?

well I can only compare the tomatoes I get in the burger here and the ones I get in Mexico or the airports in Houston, Atlanta and Dallas.

those are 2 year old tomatoes that shouldn't be put on anyone's food.

the ones I get here are surprisingly fresh

Palpable

Hey guys, I'm in dire need of some serious motivation to get to the gym. I don't know if anyone has seen my recent threads about the current situation I'm in, but it's making it that much harder to get motivated and go. I feel as though I need a gym buddy (always have) and I want to get swole again. I miss taking swelfies and shit like that. In general I just felt better about myself. That being said, does anyone live in Las Vegas that would be willing to take me under their wing at the gym? I'm a member at LVAC.

Here are some pictures from mid 2013 when I was working out regularly.

H8lc1m.jpg

RzVsxf.jpg

Just wait! January is coming!
Yep. I'm going back to lifting at 2-3am next month to avoid the flood. It really isn't a fun time to lift when it's packed like that.

I know it makes me sound like a dick, but I already have issues with a normally packed gym. (Mostly people getting in my way coupled with anxiety issues). So yeah, I'll pass.

frontieruk

Hey guys, I'm in dire need of some serious motivation to get to the gym. I don't know if anyone has seen my recent threads about the current situation I'm in, but it's making it that much harder to get motivated and go. I feel as though I need a gym buddy (always have) and I want to get swole again. I miss taking swelfies and shit like that. In general I just felt better about myself. That being said, does anyone live in Las Vegas that would be willing to take me under their wing at the gym? I'm a member at LVAC.

H8lc1m.jpg

RzVsxf.jpg

Depression is a bitch, but I've found relying on others to pick yourself up ends up with you either losing an important person or burning through goodwill so quickly that you have to rotate through friends.

I've been there, probably been in darker corners than yourself having read your threads. But the truth sadly it's though others make you feel better for a while, only you can bring yourself out of the slump, an exercise regime is a great start, and a supportive environment to help motivate you is a nice crutch when you can't bring yourself to face the world.

Yep. I'm going back to lifting at 2-3am next month to avoid the flood. It really isn't a fun time to lift when it's packed like that.

I know it makes me sound like a dick, but I already have issues with a normally packed gym. (Mostly people getting in my way coupled with anxiety issues). So yeah, I'll pass.

I go at 6am, for some reason at my gym at New year you get meat head uni students, or hot young ladies, either way you get some entertainment.

sphinx

the piano man

I really feel bad for what I am going to say.... :(((

but I am relieved that most resolutioners are afraid of free weights... when you have no idea what you are doing and you take equipment, bars, plates, etc.. just to learn and at peak hours on Monday and Tuesday... :( that's very hard on everyone.. waiting for equipment is ok when everybody knows what it's about.

on the other hand, people gotta learn somehow, I also was a absolute newb at some point and I am sure I had to annoy someone else.

it's just how it is.

my wish is that a portion of those resolutioners learns and then stay for good in free weights.

Sadetar

I do my stretches every single day. I still feel like a statue. I am waiting this to get better.

tumblr_lzqf3bj19I1qbf57ro1_400.gif

Assuming you've been a good girl obviously!

My gym is open from 7-1 today?? WTF?!
I am always a model example of good behaviour. Like a baby angel to be honest. :p

At least your gym is open. I am a bit jelly now. Mine will be open on 5th of January. This wait is killing me. Also I am fairly sure it is killing numerous other people as well and I am already afraid of the herd of braindead zombies that will be hitting the gym the day it opens...

I know. It is scary.

H8lc1m.jpg

RzVsxf.jpg
You had a very nice tummy and chest back then.

I don't know what dark places you are in, but listen to what frontieruk said. Nobody else can make you happy other than yourself. You just need to get in touch with your inner beast again and win what ever you are up against. I wish you all the strenght and positive energy for you to do so. I am sure that you will. Gym is a great place to start to feel better about yourself. :)

Hey man! Long time!

Yeah, injured my shoulder a few times in the last 2 years so it's been mostly time off and rehab so nothing really exciting. How have you been?
My back is probably the same and Ive just gotten used to it, but I'm getting stronger and can do more so I'm happy.

I have gotten injured a few times in the last couple of years (inflamed rib cage lining for no apparent reason, sprained wrist power cleaning, tore up hand falling down a 10 foot rock wall while hiking) that took me off my gym program so I'm only lifting a little more than I was a year ago, but when I couldn't lift I focused on hiking. have done some long (for me) hikes that across along the koolau summit ridge. I stopped doing Koko crater so much cuz it has gotten insanely crowded. I hear there's a large bee nest under the bridge now.

Was hoping to get a hike in this weekend but right now I'm in bed sick.

O.v.e.rlord

Banned
Ok so, I've been going to the gym since I was a fat 14 year old and I've seen a lot of funky workouts. Looking at you crossfit nut jobs!! But this guy here takes the cake. I have never once in my life taken video of anther person's workout but THIS!!!! IS BY FAR THE WEIRDEST SHIT I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!!
I even shown this to Troy Alevs (he's won a lot of body building contest) and he could not stop laughing.

The video is 11 mins. And oh yes there is a lot more to this guys "workout". Like three hours worth of it. This is just a small taste of the madness. http://youtu.be/wy_dPojPD4c

(The guy in grey tank top and Budweiser hat is me)

Highlights are around the 7 min maker.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Ok so, I've been going to the gym since I was a fat 14 year old and I've seen a lot of funky workouts. Looking at you crossfit nut jobs!! But this guy here takes the cake. I have never once in my life taken video of anther person's workout but THIS!!!! IS BY FAR THE WEIRDEST SHIT I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!!
I even shown this to Troy Alevs (he's won a lot of body building contest) and he could not stop laughing.

The video is 11 mins. And oh yes there is a lot more to this guys "workout". Like three hours worth of it. This is just a small taste of the madness. http://youtu.be/wy_dPojPD4c

(The guy in grey tank top and Budweiser hat is me)

Highlights are around the 7 min maker.

I want to thank you for entertaining me and my family for 11 minutes tonight. Thanks man. That was a sight to behold. It's even funnier knowing it's only 11 minutes of a 3 hour workout. I almost feel like it is a prank.

O.v.e.rlord

Banned
I want to thank you for entertaining me and my family for 11 minutes tonight. Thanks man. That was a sight to behold. It's even funnier knowing it's only 11 minutes of a 3 hour workout. I almost feel like it is a prank.

Your welcome! Yeah, it's really something alright and it's no prank. I wish it was though. This is not the first time seeing him do this ether. Even the staff call him "dancing dude"

maybe its that narrow camera view but that gym is pretty packed, lol. Maybe he thought with so many other people they wouldn't pay his dance moves any mind

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom