• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tonight's meal:

DtDyjwjl.jpg

Hopefully this is enough for a full day. I know that I'll be good on protein. I'll probably do eggs and meat again tomorrow.

Dat fiber. RIP toilet

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I doing normal with the bar and incline with db. I'll drop the pushups.

I'd drop the DBs then. You're doing both at 3x5s? Just do one of them for 3x5. Go up in weight every workout until you stall.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'm doing 3x12 both and I felt good today. If I do only normal bench press will it be enough for chest?

If you're doing it heavy enough and looking to make strength gains, yes.

keezy

Fell victim to the influx of new girls at the the past week or two. Went against my golden rule of not asking girls out at the gym. We'll have to see how this goes.

I wanna bulk up and also lose a little BF. I looked at my initial report from December 2nd and I was at 17% BF.
Depends on how much weight you bench for 10 reps. If you're only doing 135 x10 you won't really get anything unless you have a really high volume like 10 sets of 10 or some shit

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
!

No snacking on the resolutioners!
Haha. If he's lucky they'll be temporary in his life just like how they will be temporary in the gym. If not maybe he'll gain a stalker that will thus be motivated to continue to visit the gym just in the hopes of seeing him, thus indirectly instilling a more permanent role of fitness in a stranger's life. Everybody wins!

TTOOLL

Depends on how much weight you bench for 10 reps. If you're only doing 135 x10 you won't really get anything unless you have a really high volume like 10 sets of 10 or some shit

I've been working out for a month now, I was doing normal bench with DBs, today I did it with the bar for the first time, I lifted 24kg total, about 52 pounds, 3 sets of 12. I know it's not a lot but I believe I can gradually increase the weight until 40kg (88 pounds) by the end of February.

J. Bravo

I've been working out for a month now, I was doing normal bench with DBs, today I did it with the bar for the first time, I lifted 24kg total, about 52 pounds, 3 sets of 12. I know it's not a lot but I believe I can gradually increase the weight until 40kg (88 pounds) by the end of February.

On my max effort chest days, I typically start off going for a 3-5 rep max effort on flat barbell bench, followed by 3-4 sets of 6-10 reps on incline dumbbell bench. Those are the only two chest movements I do on my heavy day, that are actually part of the routine I'm following. I add in a max set of dips and a few sets of flyes because I'm vain :).

For instance, on Tuesday, I got 215 up 3 times, then used the 50s for 3x10 and 1x9. Next Tuesday, I'll attempt 225 for 3-5 and use the 55s.

But I've been lifting a while, not as long as a lot of posters here, but considerably longer than 1 month. I think for you it will be best to give Starting Strength or another novice program a go for several months and build up some strength before moving on to an intermediate program.

GrapeApes

The feel when you hit a PR and it feels like you have more in the tank. Trying to hide my kool aid smile in the gym. Just know I'm going to demolish it on the next cycle of my programming.

TTOOLL

On my max effort chest days, I typically start off going for a 3-5 rep max effort on flat barbell bench, followed by 3-4 sets of 6-10 reps on incline dumbbell bench. Those are the only two chest movements I do on my heavy day, that are actually part of the routine I'm following. I add in a max set of dips and a few sets of flyes because I'm vain :).

For instance, on Tuesday, I got 215 up 3 times, then used the 50s for 3x10 and 1x9. Next Tuesday, I'll attempt 225 for 3-5 and use the 55s.

But I've been lifting a while, not as long as a lot of posters here, but considerably longer than 1 month. I think for you it will be best to give Starting Strength or another novice program a go for several months and build up some strength before moving on to an intermediate program.

I have no idea what Starting Strengh is lol. Also, my goal is somewhat humble, gain 4 kg. by the end of February. I don't know if I'll be able to work out after this because of my work schedule.

Fell victim to the influx of new girls at the the past week or two. Went against my golden rule of not asking girls out at the gym. We'll have to see how this goes.
I wish I could do this at my gym sometime, but in the gay world it's either one extreme or another. Either there ain't shit to pick up or the gym is overly cruisy no respectable person would workout there.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I have no idea what Starting Strengh is lol. Also, my goal is somewhat humble, gain 4 kg. by the end of February. I don't know if I'll be able to work out after this because of my work schedule.

What! Totally read the OP, it'll help you better manage your time and results in the gym. Less wasted time + more efficient work = good things all around.

Yea do SS for 6months-1 year and eat eat and eat.

Basically its like this: Workout A and B 3 times a week

A
Squat 3 sets of 5
Bench Press 3 sets of 5
Deadlift 1 set of 5

B
Squat 3x5
Military press 3x5
Power Clean 5x3 (I would suggest doing barbell rows instead 3x5)
-All exercises should be done with a barbell although you can use dumbbells/an empty bar
-Alternate between A and B each workout day
-Add more weight after you finish an exercise (meaning completing the sets of five reps). 10 lbs for Squats and deadlifts and 5 lbs for the bench and military. Keep adding until you fail to hit your reps.

You will see dem noob gainz
If you need resources (exercise form etc) hit up Chocobro (he has a great archive through Evernote) or pm anyone of us (including me)

LevelNth

Banned
Anyone know the best/most reliable way/method of calculating body fat %?

Are the calcs online and inputting your various body measurements pretty much just as good?

TTOOLL

ihavenoideawhatimdoing.jpg then. It's few exercises only, right? I have never seen something like it before, maybe because where I live (small city in Brazil) but it makes sense since my focus is strength. It's seems like a very short trip to the gym, which would be awesome after I return to work =D
It's very common here to have a person at the gym do your program for you and you just follow it for months.....

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
ihavenoideawhatimdoing.jpg then. It's few exercises only, right? I have never seen something like it before, maybe because where I live (small city in Brazil) but it makes sense since my focus is strengh. It's seems like a very short trip to the gym, which would be awesome after I return to work =D

It is, but it builds the most important lifts and WILL get tough very quick, so be prepared - but it fucking WORKS, so even if you feel like you can do more (and you probably could) - don't. Stick to the program. Make sure you're doing it right, get us form checks as well, and you will see results, provided you're eating well and sleeping good.

Are the calcs online and inputting your various body measurements pretty much just as good?
The water tank things. Some gyms offer them, some hospitals/clinics do too. I've never done one nor do I know how much they cost.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
The feel when you hit a PR and it feels like you have more in the tank. Trying to hide my kool aid smile in the gym. Just know I'm going to demolish it on the next cycle of my programming.

Or that feeling when you accidentally did too many reps. Yesterday I did 5 power cleans at my target weight in the first set and blasted through the others.

Felt awesome, not a PR though. Looking back on it, lifting weights at an extreme caloric deficit sucked.

TTOOLL

It is, but it builds the most important lifts and WILL get tough very quick, so be prepared - but it fucking WORKS, so even if you feel like you can do more (and you probably could) - don't. Stick to the program. Make sure you're doing it right, get us form checks as well, and you will see results, provided you're eating well and sleeping good.

Nice! I'll start next week for sure. Hey, power cleans look fucking advanced uhn? Don't know if I can do it properly. I'll try the barbell rows.
These forms, are they excel worksheets?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Nice! I'll start next week for sure. Hey, power cleans look fucking advanced uhn? Don't know if I can do it properly. I'll try the barbell rows.

No, video of you doing the movement, so we can tell you how to improve it so your actual form on the lift itself looks right. It's humbling because yours WILL suck, but it's the way to doing it right, which is INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT.

They're actually videos of each movement. I would advise you to watch them first before attempting to do them and record yourself with an empty bar like Vince said so that we can correct your form if needed. Trust me, form will save you from injuring yourself

The power clean is a combined movement which consists of motions that closely resemble part front squat and part clean. It's a difficult exercise to master. If you want to, I'd suggest practicing each motion separately in their own respective exercises (Front squat and clean) to get a feeling of how those two can get chained together.

Zoe

The navy formula pretty much matches what my Tanita scale says.

Water submersion is the most accurate though.

I thought the DEXA Scan was more accurate and can even give details on each body part. I've been tempted to ask my doctor for one to check my body f.. *cough* osteoporosis.

demented

And if there isn't one anywhere near you or it's too expensive stick with posting pictures online and letting other judge for you haha, that's what I do at least plus got one of those shitty calipers.

I thought the DEXA Scan was more accurate and can even give details on each body part. I've been tempted to ask my doctor for one to check my body f.. *cough* osteoporosis.
In a fairly exhaustive article roundup, this boffin came up with skinfold and hydrostatic as the best options (not including doing a bunch of them and some clever math): http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=283

You can find the detail parts here: http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?s=Pitfalls+of+Body+Fat+Measurement&searchsubmit=

...and the DEXA analysis here: http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=260

I'm going to start counting calories next week.

One thing I have a hard time with is getting enough carbs. Right now I get it from pasta and potatoes...but it isn't enough

whats an easy way to get carbs? Am I supposed to eat much bread? Like only bread?

Its nice to be back. I've always wanted to do the water tank thing to see my BF % but at the same time I really do not want to see how high it is :(.

Cooper

The accuracy probably won't make any difference to you ultimately. I've had three "accurate" body fat tests performed over the past year - 1 BodPod at a university kinesiology lab, and two DEXA scans by a local company (2nd one a complimentary "thank you" sent to prior customers).

All three gave me the same result, telling me I was 16-17%, body fat. That's quite lean for a woman, and I don't actually believe it's my real number. I haven't really been able to use the numbers for anything. The bone mass information provided by DEXA was interesting though, and probably the main reason I might get future scans.

In the end, I think the mirror and the way you feel are better guides than what these various tests spit out. If you just want a measurement you can track over time, the online calculators are good enough.

Precision is all you need. Knowing the exact number isn't important if you are still able to see the changes in your bodyfat over time. You can do that with pretty much anything. I agree with just eyeballing your measurement for the number and using some cheap tool or calculator to track your progress.

Unless you have some reason you need to know the exact number.

You do realize that you're not submerged underwater. You just kinda float there.
Hmm... you are in the pic I saw:

925_full.jpg

Anyone who has been weighed underwater will tell you that it’s not a very comfortable process. You have to get in a swimsuit, get as much air as possible out of your swimsuit when in the water, get as much air bubbles as possible off of your skin, blow out as much air as possible, and then submerge underwater while sitting on a “swing”. You have to remain steady as the person takes the measurement. You will often need to repeat this numerous times to get a decent measurement. A lot of things can contribute to error in the measurement, such as not successfully blowing out all the air in your lungs, or having air bubbles trapped in your hair.

Maybe you had a slightly different process?

Yea do SS for 6months-1 year and eat eat and eat.

Basically its like this: Workout A and B 3 times a week

A
Squat 3 sets of 5
Bench Press 3 sets of 5
Deadlift 1 set of 5

B
Squat 3x5
Military press 3x5
Power Clean 5x3 (I would suggest doing barbell rows instead 3x5)
-All exercises should be done with a barbell although you can use dumbbells/an empty bar
-Alternate between A and B each workout day
-Add more weight after you finish an exercise (meaning completing the sets of five reps). 10 lbs for Squats and deadlifts and 5 lbs for the bench and military. Keep adding until you fail to hit your reps.

You will see dem noob gainz
If you need resources (exercise form etc) hit up Chocobro (he has a great archive through Evernote) or pm anyone of us (including me)

dont forget warmup reps, thats where you get to practice form, and get some extra volume in

Zoe

This is the kind that's easily found around here, except I believe you can lie face up. There's a guy who has this set up in a truck, and he hits all the crossfit gyms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUgwaXnxaPQ

All three gave me the same result, telling me I was 16-17%, body fat. That's quite lean for a woman, and I don't actually believe it's my real number. I haven't really been able to use the numbers for anything. The bone mass information provided by DEXA was interesting though, and probably the main reason I might get future scans.

You think you should be more? You're quite lean from what I remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom