• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I'm shocked you didn't get that Brolic but reading your description it makes sense. It was flying up and all of the sudden you were done. Watching that I'd say you're good for 635 plus.

It felt fine too, but I wasn't gonna tear a pec to get it. Before that I did 495, 545, 565' and 585 with a 10-15 second static hold at the top (was long enough to make everyone in the gym turn around and watch and two dudes ask me to train their deadlift) all of them were fast and nothing felt strained. I've got to credit the Beltless training and strongman training for keeping my DL strong.

Thanks bud.

The grocery store had a 20% off sale today on all sports nutrition, and they carry the Quest protein powder, so we got a tub of peanut butter for $30 and we'll report in later tonight.

In reality compared to goat and almond it's likely that protein powder will work out cheaper anyway, so I doubt I've actually ended up being that much help all told. :D

But yeah, report back with what you end up doing / diet / progress and people will generally be happy to assist. No getting better results than me though, everyone gets better results than me. :(

Been checking out a few gyms lately that do classes (boxing, muay thai etc.), found one today that has a good variety of times etc. and have a massive gym component as well (bikes, weights etc.). I asked if they'd give me a guest day pass so I can try it out, talk about pulling teeth. She literally looked insulted when I asked, she ended up making an exception for me.

Not off to a good start.

The grocery store had a 20% off sale today on all sports nutrition, and they carry the Quest protein powder, so we got a tub of peanut butter for $30 and we'll report in later tonight.

Quest protein powder peanut butter flavor: A+. There is no protein tang to it, very sweet and the aftertaste is actually pretty good, it retains a lot of the peanut taste.

It's protein mix is 50% whey, 40% casein, and 10% milk isolate.

110 calories, 23g protein, about 84% calories from protein. It has stevia and sucralose in it.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
My attempt at a more palatable 12 egg, 1lb meat, 1/2 gallon of milk "meal":

IxrnlrFl.jpg

Sadetar

Going to add Jillian Michaels back in. Probably do this level for a bit before moving to level 2 (which is more cardio and standing abs). I also want to put my strength yoga back in at some point, especially since my hot yoga is running out next week and I'm too poor to get more classes. So, YAYOG, cardio kickboxing, cardio abs, yoga. I really need to do more time at it, though. 5 hours a week isn't enough at all.

I didn't mean to eat that little, it just ended up happening. I ate 1200 yesterday, and today probably 1500 because I depression-ate chocolate. Meh.
I am sure you will be fine wood wise despite the chocolate. :p Just don't eat too little to keep your body burning fat.

5 hours a week is good. If you add, don't add too much. That sounds really good combination in my ears though. :)

The fruit Quest bars, especially the raspberry and apple pie are easiest on my palate. Fuck double chocolate.
I don't think I have ever had the raspberry one. Apple pie is good even though I need to add I love the cookie dough the most. :p

One of you people still needs to send me the quest chips. :mad:

Related, I have to buy some quest bars as I've run out. The last lot I bought in Vegas, at about half the price they cost me in the UK. Grrr.
I am with you there. I can't even order Quest Chips to Finland! :(

I also need to order more bars since I have been eating them way more than I thought I would. :p

Been very strict on diet and it's paying off. Just weighed in at 246.5lbs, new low. Started at 337.5lbs and 0 muscle, so down 91lbs in actual body weight but likely a lot more then that in fat due to the muscle gain. March 1st 2015 will be the three year anniversary of when I started lifting (but not dieting), I hope I'm at 237.5 or less by then to hit the 100lb mark.
That is so awesome! People like you are inspiration and motivation for me! You definitely need to share photos on the anniversary!

I've seen that before. It usually means they're trying to keep their knees behind their toes as the whole "if your knees go in front of your toes during a squat you will hurt yourself" broscience has been floating around for years.
I see. Even if utterly stupid at least they follow some insane inner logic I didn't first realize.

Emphasis on glute bridges, leg curls, deadlifts, and squats is giving me a bubble butt... And I'm ok with this.
I am very ok with that too. Any chances to photographic evidence?

My attempt at a more palatable 12 egg, 1lb meat, 1/2 gallon of milk "meal":

IxrnlrFl.jpg
I now need to ask that how huge you are?

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
I now need to ask that how huge you are?

I'm not huge at all. 5'9 190 or so, never been too much over 200. I was a heck of a lot fatter at a couple points though. Maybe I'll do some before and after pics when I'm ready to show face.

Bud I admire your dedication, but you may be overdoing it. And wasting money.

That's very possible. My only concern is whether I keep getting stronger on my lifts, and if I'm overdoing it then it will be really hard for me to tell. I think if I ate only that in a day it might be enough, but I haven't done the calculations I need to.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I'm not huge at all. 5'9 190 or so, never been too much over 200. I was a heck of a lot fatter at a couple points though. Maybe I'll do some before and after pics when I'm ready to show face.

That's very possible. My only concern is whether I keep getting stronger on my lifts, and if I'm overdoing it then it will be really hard for me to tell. I think if I ate only that in a day it might be enough, but I haven't done the calculations I need to.

What do your macros look like? Including that colon bomb you keep posting?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

I used to eat 250+ grams a day. And I was an uninformed idiot. Now I eat around 150 if that and a fair amount of carbs. You only need a lot,of protein if you're cutting, and even then, you're probably overdoing it.

People like MTP can get away with it because he lifts and he does manual labor for a job.

I'm 240lbs at 5'8" with a high BF% (but by most metrics I'm considered decently strong) and I take in around 130-170 a day and a fair amount of carbs. As your carb intake increases the less protein you need.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I used to eat 250+ grams a day. And I was an uninformed idiot. Now I eat around 150 if that and a fair amount of carbs. You only need a lot,of protein if you're cutting, and even then, you're probably overdoing it.

People like MTP can get away with it because he lifts and he does manual labor for a job.

I'm 240lbs at 5'8" with a high BF% (but by most metrics I'm considered decently strong) and I take in around 130-170 a day and a fair amount of carbs. As your carb intake increases the less protein you need.

Listen to this man Joey. I'm trying to put on muscle right now and succeeding eating somewhere around 150-190 grams a day and I'm about 200lbs. The extra protein is overkill. Keep your calories where they need to be and make sure to get enough protein in the range I mentioned and you will put on muscle. Keep in mind it's slow going for people like us doing it naturally and who have been lifting for years.

Oh, and Brolic, probably the most extreme case of humbleness ever with your decently strong comment. lol

Quest protein powder peanut butter flavor: A+. There is no protein tang to it, very sweet and the aftertaste is actually pretty good, it retains a lot of the peanut taste.

It's protein mix is 50% whey, 40% casein, and 10% milk isolate.

110 calories, 23g protein, about 84% calories from protein. It has stevia and sucralose in it.

I'll add that I got the Chocolate Shake flavor of Quest Protein Powder as a Christmas gift. Tried one scoop in 8 oz of water as suggested and it was pretty good but not amazing. Fairly thick and tasted like chocolate pudding. Gonna dilute it more next time and also try it with milk.

Hmm... when I was in Sweden I was buying a protein drink that had about 40-50g of protein in it and tasted really good. Was going to try and get it in the UK but I can't for the life of me remember what it was called. Bollocks. =/

Was available in just random grocery stores, so I'm surprised that I can't find it by searching as it must be relatively popular.

grumble

Listen to this man Joey. I'm trying to put on muscle right now and succeeding eating somewhere around 150-190 grams a day and I'm about 200lbs. The extra protein is overkill. Keep your calories where they need to be and make sure to get enough protein in the range I mentioned and you will put on muscle. Keep in mind it's slow going for people like us doing it naturally and who have been lifting for years.

Oh, and Brolic, probably the most extreme case of humbleness ever with your decently strong comment. lol

I'd argue that a novice might actually need more protein than an intermediate, just because there's more tissue remodelling going on. When someone is gaining 15 pounds of lean mass in a year they will probably need more raw materials than someone gaining 3.

I've actually been reading some of the research and it was talking about leucine-mediated increases in protein synthesis. If you get enough protein to get 3-5g of leucine at once every 3-5 hours, combined with enough fat and carbs to be in a decent caloric surplus you pretty much optimize nutrition for muscle gain. That works out to maybe 4 meals of 40-50g protein each time, for total of maybe 160-200g/day.

TTOOLL

You guys were talking about milk. Why is it so important? I love milk and it's quite cheap here, I could drink more if necessary =D

I'd argue that a novice might actually need more protein than an intermediate, just because there's more tissue remodelling going on. When someone is gaining 15 pounds of lean mass in a year they will probably need more raw materials than someone gaining 3.

I've actually been reading some of the research and it was talking about leucine-mediated increases in protein synthesis. If you get enough protein to get 3-5g of leucine at once every 3-5 hours, combined with enough fat and carbs to be in a decent caloric surplus you pretty much optimize nutrition for muscle gain. That works out to maybe 4 meals of 40-50g protein each time, for total of maybe 160-200g/day.

Just out of interest, what's your take on this?

http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/

Ahah, I've found the milk I was looking for!

smg92I2.jpg

http://nutramino.com/se/Shakes/4022/Nutramino-Protein-XL-Shake-Chocolate-500ml-6-stk.html

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
You guys were talking about milk. Why is it so important? I love milk and it's quite cheap here, I could drink more if necessary =D

Cheap source of fat (depending on the type of milk), protein, and carbs. All of this make it s very caloric dense source.

Ehhh, milk is just an easy way to pad your calorie intake. It's high in calories, easy to consume, and also has some protein. That's the main reason most people guzzle it down I'd assume. If you're bulking and struggling to reach those macros, milk can help if it has the things you're lacking.

You don't need it though. I haven't had dairy milk in like 5 years. I've never really been a fan of milk. I do consume almond milk though for the flavor.

Also on Quest chips. I have a big box of BBQ and they're okay.... they have a really funky aftertaste that makes them a chore to eat after a few chips. I don't recommend.

I fancy trying the salted. I'm sure they'll get here eventually.

...and yeah, milk was mostly being discussed because it's basically the cheapest bulk calories / protein you can get. It's not an ideal source, but it works in a pinch.

I almost never drink it in significant quantities and only really use it for coffee, porridge and maybe a glass with a handful of almonds. I don't actually drink almond milk though, I think it's foul. :)

Ehhh, milk is just an easy way to pad your calorie intake. It's high in calories, easy to consume, and also has some protein. That's the main reason most people guzzle it down I'd assume. If you're bulking and struggling to reach those macros, milk can help if it has the things you're lacking.

You don't need it though. I haven't had dairy milk in like 5 years. I've never really been a fan of milk. I do consume almond milk though for the flavor.

Also on Quest chips. I have a big box of BBQ and they're okay.... they have a really funky aftertaste that makes them a chore to eat after a few chips. I don't recommend.

I tried the salt and vinegar and it has a funky aftertaste as well

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

If he has less muscle he will have a lower lean body mass anyway. Exceeding 1 gram per lb body weight is a waste. I don't care who you are unless you're on a cycle. Hell I'd say exceeding 1 gram per 70-80% of 1 lb body weight is a waste. As his muscle mass increases his LBM will increase and thus his protein need will increase m

So I'd argue he needs less than an intermediate.

Hilti92

Anyone have advice on eating? It's hard as fuck to eat as much as you're supposed to in one day. I usually take 2 protein shakes a day to help with the consumption but it's hard eating when your gut is feeling rotten. Any suggestions on those days or when you're feeling full?

Cooter

Anyone have advice on eating? It's hard as fuck to eat as much as you're supposed to in one day. I usually take 2 protein shakes a day to help with the consumption but it's hard eating when your gut is feeling rotten. Any suggestions on those days or when you're feeling full?
Add peanut butter, oats, and milk to your shakes. It shouldn't be hard to get each one up to 6 or 7 hundred calories. Besides that bread, pasta, and rice seems to add up to a lot of calories fairly quickly.

Oscar

Started 5x5 (three times a week) via the iOS App on Nov 10th with just a 45lb CAP bar.

It's the 2 month mark now, and my body gives out during the 4th set of 170lbs squats and 170lbs bench press. How do I get past this "plateau"? Do I just keep trying the same weight for 5x5 next time?

Edit: Just googled the faq of the app/site, looks like I'm supposed to keep trying.

Mixed nuts. Very calorie dense and so easy to eat (or rather, overeat).

Oscar

Lol I have the opposite problem. I'm resorting to Caffeine and Yohimbine pills to convince myself to not stuff my face with more servings.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Add peanut butter, oats, and milk to your shakes. It shouldn't be hard to get each one up to 6 or 7 hundred calories. Besides that bread, pasta, and rice seems to add up to a lot of calories fairly quickly.

Pretty much what I told my wife last night. Which btw, she asked me to train her this year. Gonna be interesting. BW stuff to start and its wrecking her. Easing her into it. Teaching hip hinge is a pain in the ass.

Hilti92

Peanut butter is a big part of my diet. Peanut butter toast with probably 3 tbsp of PB on each slice. If not more. I don't add it to my shakes though as I don't have a blender. Does it mix in easily with a shaker cup?

Cooter

Peanut butter is a big part of my diet. Peanut butter toast with probably 3 tbsp of PB on each slice. If not more. I don't add it to my shakes though as I don't have a blender. Does it mix in easily with a shaker cup?
Creamy should mix decently. Each piece of toast should be about 400 so that's 800 right there. How many calories are you aiming for daily? Like mentioned above, nuts add up quickly too. When I need a quick 500 I'll throw some almonds and raisins in a bowl and chow down. Also, I forgot about cereal. I eat a 900 calorie bowl of granola pretty much every day.

SeanR1221

Have to echo the protein talk. I used to religiously eat 220+ grams and it was pretty much a waste.

I usually get 150 or so and I'm stronger than ever. I put more of an emphases on carbs.

Having said that, I just ate 5 pieces of homemade banana bread French toast and 3 eggs. Gotta get ready to deadlift today :)

I can't stand peanut butter (love peanuts and butter, go figure), but I do eat a lot of almonds. Generally no problems hitting my calorie targets though, mostly because I eat about two thirds what some of the monsters here eat. :D

alternade

So I'm going into week 4 and a lot of the workouts are getting more complicated without going to the gym. Im thinking of just repeating the first 3 weeks again.

Chocobro

I need your opinion guys. Would you having to deadlift using hex plates be a deal breaker if you have a company deal with Gold's Gym for a very cheap membership price?

Maybe I'm spoiled by my university gym back in NYC with the circular bumper plates, but fuck. I don't like DLIng with hex plates.

If he has less muscle he will have a lower lean body mass anyway. Exceeding 1 gram per lb body weight is a waste. I don't care who you are unless you're on a cycle. Hell I'd say exceeding 1 gram per 70-80% of 1 lb body weight is a waste. As his muscle mass increases his LBM will increase and thus his protein need will increase m

So I'd argue he needs less than an intermediate.

Doesn't really help that the OP states 1.0g to 1.5g per lb of body weight. I imagine a lot of people are reading that and assuming it's gospel.

IMHO 1.5g per lb is utterly ridiculous. Your whole life will revolve around getting protein in at pretty much every opportunity (and god help you if you're doing intermittent fasting).

As an aside, it's nice to see more people who have a bit of GRRR to them (scientific term!) starting to speak sense on the protein issue. For too long opinions have been based on the PR of sports nutrition companies who have a vested interest, and many of the big guys who are sponsored by them.

Started 5x5 (three times a week) via the iOS App on Nov 10th with just a 45lb CAP bar.

It's the 2 month mark now, and my body gives out during the 4th set of 170lbs squats and 170lbs bench press. How do I get past this "plateau"? Do I just keep trying the same weight for 5x5 next time?

Edit: Just googled the faq of the app/site, looks like I'm supposed to keep trying.

I like that you started with the bar before working up! You could try deloading to 80%-90% of your max and working your way back up again.

SeanR1221

Curious why your bench and squat is the same? If everything started with the bar you add a lot more to your squat per week compared to the bench.

Are you following the program correctly??

I need your opinion guys. Would you having to deadlift using hex plates be a deal breaker if you have a company deal with Gold's Gym for a very cheap membership price?

Maybe I'm spoiled by my university gym back in NYC with the circular bumper plates, but fuck. I don't like DLIng with hex plates.

Hex plates are a little annoying but very workable for deadlifts. My 24 hr fitness has hex plates and yea it sucks but I reset my position instead of touch and go whenever the hex plates get in the way

Oscar

Curious why your bench and squat is the same? If everything started with the bar you add a lot more to your squat per week compared to the bench.

Are you following the program correctly??

I added some weight to the bench after a month because it felt way too light. I felt like I was wasting my time on the bench, didn't feel any resistance.

W17OK6v.png
3lJVWFY.png
YfLHtSM.png

My Squat/Deadlift/OHP/Row have all been a slow and steady climb though, I'm not messing with those.

SeanR1221

I added some weight to the bench after a month because it felt way too light. I felt like I was wasting my time on the bench, didn't feel any resistance.

W17OK6v.png
3lJVWFY.png
YfLHtSM.png

My Squat/Deadlift/OHP/Row have all been a slow and steady climb though, I'm not messing with those.

Well that's your problem with bench. Just because t felt light now doesn't mean you just start adding on weight all willy nilly. Stick to the program.

I'd post form videos so we can first see how this stuff looks. Might be a form issue holdig you back from progressing.

Cudder

W17OK6v.png
3lJVWFY.png
YfLHtSM.png

As someone who's been on 5x5 for the past little while, do not fast forward on your lifts, especially on a strength program. It does you no good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom