• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I can't see it but nice work Sean! Welcome to the four plate club. Got a feeling you'll be joining the 5 plate club in the not so distant future.

Very interesting read on how taking a break from lifting shouldn't actually harm your progress.

The researchers hypothesized that because atrophy (muscle loss) from stopping weight training occurs at the same rate or slower than it was gained, and previous research had shown muscle growth occurs faster after a detraining period, then the detraining group should still get similar results to the group who trained continuously.

Amazingly, that’s exactly what happened.

Despite having 3 weeks off after every 6 weeks, at 24 weeks the detraining group experienced the same weight, size, isometric strength and one-rep maximum (1RM) gains as the continuous group.

Far more at the link: http://anthonycolpo.com/will-taking-a-break-from-weight-training-hurt-your-progress-in-the-gym/

O.v.e.rlord

Banned
It's instagram, but I couldn't tell if you were joking on it or something.

I love how my face is going with all my dbag comments.

Oh! When I tired to view the post before said It I needed a Facebook. Didn't have one at the time and gave up. Just forgot to congratulate SeanR and just posted that now.

Imm0rt4l

10932325_869541216402028_1534090413_n.jpg

Man, I respect Layne's breadth of knowledge but man this is too accurate lol

Sadetar

Pretty much what I told my wife last night. Which btw, she asked me to train her this year. Gonna be interesting. BW stuff to start and its wrecking her. Easing her into it. Teaching hip hinge is a pain in the ass.
I am always so jealous to the girlfriends/wifes of people in here. They have someone next to them to help them out all the time. Good luck with her. :D

I tried the salt and vinegar and it has a funky aftertaste as well
Dammit. I was looking forward to that and the sourcream and onion one.

Gaining a lot more gym confidence.... had a good session today, noticing little changes and feeling stronger already.
Congratulations. You will feel like home in there in no time! :D

I'm not huge at all. 5'9 190 or so, never been too much over 200. I was a heck of a lot fatter at a couple points though. Maybe I'll do some before and after pics when I'm ready to show face.
Good that Brolic and Cooter already talked to you about your meals. :p

I am none the less overly excited to see your comparison pics! ;)

Anyone have a preference to Optimum Nutrition Performance Whey vs 100% Gold Standard?

Edit: I see the Gold Standard is all isolates, vs the Performance which is a blend of isolates/non. Might just go with the Gold Standard, as the non isolate stuff tends to make me feel bloated pretty badly.

firsy gym session in a while, was very hot workout room. On the plus side I got my sweat on which I havent done in ages.

Might go try a few more gyms before I sign my life away.

danthefan

I've a really really stupid question but would just like clarification anyway, I downloaded that 5x5 app, do they weights they suggest lifting include the weight of the bar or is that left out?

Similarly when someone here says they lifted 300lbs or whatever does that generally include the 45lbs of the bar or is it just the extra weight on the bar?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I've a really really stupid question but would just like clarification anyway, I downloaded that 5x5 app, do they weights they suggest lifting include the weight of the bar or is that left out?

Similarly when someone here says they lifted 300lbs or whatever does that generally include the 45lbs of the bar or is it just the extra weight on the bar?

Yep! Weight in total. So when calculating your weight you'll always be working from the initial 45lbs

That includes the weight of the bar. When someone says they are lifting 135lbs, it's the bar, plus a 45lb plate on each side.

Edit: DESTROYED

sphinx

the piano man
fitgaf, I need your opinion.

So in this dating app every now and then I come across fitness guys (real Pro bodybuilders are way too busy and in-demand to mingle with the commoners) and this was the third time a guy looking really advanced in BB said to me

"changing programs every 6 weeks has done wonders to me".......

that goes against what I believe Fitgaf suggests.

is it that these guys are at a level where doing that makes sense?? Is it a purely bodybuilding thing? cause I don't think changing a strength program every 6 weeks would be a good idea.

we are talking guys darth-level and way beyond, not your amateur standard gym rat

do they mean the exercises themselves, perhaps? like leaving the program as is but exchanging one exercise for another one in similar purpose and value (pec fly machine to lying DB fly, for example)?

SeanR1221

Damn Sean didn't realize you had gotten that high, congrats

Yes it does. Thanks! Looked great. I love the zen like concentration just before the lift.

Looked very solid man, congrats.

SeanR congrats on the new personal best at dead lift!!

Edit : ok just watched lol. It look great bro!

hoorah, next stop is 5 plates
a

Thanks a lot guys! Im really happy I have fresh PRs under my belt leading into my training sessions with Steve P in a couple weeks. It will be interesting to see what I can put up after he tweaks my form a bit.

SeanR1221

So in this dating app every now and then I come across fitness guys (real Pro bodybuilders are way too busy and in-demand to mingle with the commoners) and this was the third time a guy looking really advanced in BB said to me

is it that these guys are at a level where doing that makes sense?? Is it a purely bodybuilding thing? cause I don't think changing a strength program every 6 weeks would be a good idea.

we are talking guys darth-level and way beyond, not your amateur standard gym rat

do they mean the exercises themselves, perhaps? like leaving the program as is but exchanging one exercise for another one in similar purpose and value (pec fly machine to lying DB fly, for example)?

There could be a number of things at play.

1.). Some guys just have "it" no matter what they do. These are typically the worst guys to listen to because they are fitness outliers.

2.) they've been at it a while and have a very solid strength base and now they specialize in hitting individual muscles. A bodybuilder is still a very strong person, they just don't chase 1rms all the time. For example, my one bodybuilding friend at the gym is very happy repping a 405 squat at 180lbs instead of seeing how far he can push a 1rm. He's still a very very very strong guy but his main goal is to look good on stage.

TTOOLL

OK FitGaf, this is what I did today. I mixed the routine they did for me with some of your tips from here. I would like to mention that before doing the plank I did 2 very light shoulder exercises, they call it "shoulder protocol", they said I need it because I do have a problem with in my left shoulder, I don't feel any pain at all but it's just different from my right one.

Code:
FitNotes Workout - Monday, January 12th 2015

** Body Weight: 162.04 lbs **

** Running (Treadmill) **
- 10:00

** Plank **
- 3 reps

** Barbell Squat **
- 66.14 lbs x 12 reps
- 66.14 lbs x 12 reps
- 66.14 lbs x 12 reps

** Flat Barbell Bench Press **
- 57.32 lbs x 12 reps
- 66.14 lbs x 12 reps [PR]
- 66.14 lbs x 12 reps

** Incline Dumbbell Fly **
- 52.91 lbs x 12 reps
- 52.91 lbs x 12 reps
- 52.91 lbs x 11 reps

** Parallel Bar Triceps Dip ** (I actually did it on a bench)

- 12 reps
- 12 reps
- 12 reps

** Crunch **
- 30 reps
- 30 reps
- 30 reps

** Cable Side Bend **
- 132.28 lbs x 30 reps [PR]
- 132.28 lbs x 30 reps
- 132.28 lbs x 30 reps

What do you think?

ps: I forgot to add the bar weight =D

keezy

Been battling issues with knee pain during squats/deadlifts.

Made it my New Years resolution to stretch daily.

That seems to be helping but for giggles I switched my footwear for my leg days. I used to squat in wrestling shoes and switched to a pair of air force ones I have. Holy crap... What a difference. Knees felt better than they have at any point in the last year or so.

Just wanted to mention that in case anybody else is having knee problems. I wouldn't wish that type of knee pain against even my worst enemy :p

What do you think?

Any particular reason for the cable crunches?

That seems to be helping but for giggles I switched my footwear for my leg days. I used to squat in wrestling shoes and switched to a pair of air force ones I have. Holy crap... What a difference. Knees felt better than they have at any point in the last year or so.

On the subject of footwear. I know people recommend "Chuck Taylors", but being a brit I have absolutely no idea what they are, or where you might get them. The ones I looked up looked a lot like vans skateboarding shoes. I've seen full on weight lifting shoes... but in the UK at least they're crazy money.

keezy

On the subject of footwear. I know people recommend "Chuck Taylors", but being a brit I have absolutely no idea what they are, or where you might get them. The ones I looked up looked a lot like vans skateboarding shoes. I've seen full on weight lifting shoes... but in the UK at least they're crazy money.

I have a pair of those. I haven't lifted in them for quite some time. My air force ones have a flat sole like chucks but there's more cushion in the sole. I'm thinking it helped take some of the impact off my knees during those types of lifts. Honestly, I wouldn't recommend chuck taylors. But that's just my opinion.

These are Chucks/Chuck Taylors/Converse Allstars:

Been messing with the IIFYM Calculator to try and work on a cut. So I'm 5'7 and weigh 195. Bulkings alwasy been easy but trying to lost body fat is always a pain for me

2000 Cals a day
Protein 195 g
Carbs 150 g
Fats 70 g

Anyone have any input??

Leeness

I am sure you will be fine wood wise despite the chocolate. :p Just don't eat too little to keep your body burning fat.

5 hours a week is good. If you add, don't add too much. That sounds really good combination in my ears though. :)

Haha I need to eat less. :(

Bah, didn't work out all weekend because I was depressed. Just couldn't find the motivation to get up and do anything. I mostly just slept, ate, watched TV and slept some more. Went to an NHL game though, which was fun at least.

Didn't work out this morning either but I'm forcing myself to hot yoga tonight.

TTOOLL

So, after your help and some good reading I decided to follow this routine. I cut off a bunch of exercises the instructor had put on my routine and added others. I'd love to read your feedback, fitgaf! =D

Code:
Plan A
FitNotes Workout - Monday 12th January 2015

** Shoulder Protocol ** (very light shoulder exercise, it's 4 different movements using just an elastic band)
- 12 reps
- 12 reps
- 12 reps
- 12 reps
- 12 reps
- 12 reps
- 12 reps
- 12 reps

** Plank **
30' - 3 reps

** Side Plank **
30' - 3 reps

** Barbell Squat **
- 30.0 kgs x 12 reps
- 30.0 kgs x 12 reps
- 30.0 kgs x 12 reps

- 26.0 kgs x 12 reps
- 30.0 kgs x 12 reps [PR]
- 30.0 kgs x 12 reps

- 24.0 kgs x 12 reps
- 24.0 kgs x 12 reps
- 24.0 kgs x 11 reps

** Bench Triceps Dip **
- 12 reps
- 12 reps
- 12 reps

** Crunch **
- 30 reps
- 30 reps
- 30 reps

Code:
Plan B
FitNotes Workout - Tuesday 13th January 2015

** Fitness Ball Back Extension **
30' - 3 reps 

** The Hundred **
- 30 reps
- 30 reps
- 30 reps

** Deadlift **
- 24.0 kgs x 12 reps
- 24.0 kgs x 12 reps
- 24.0 kgs x 12 reps

** Assisted Pull Up Machine **
- 6.0 kgs x 12 reps
- 6.0 kgs x 12 reps
- 6.0 kgs x 12 reps

** Scott Curl **
- 16.0 kgs x 12 reps
- 16.0 kgs x 12 reps
- 16.0 kgs x 12 reps

** Fitness Ball Hip Raise And Curl **
- 30 reps
- 30 reps
- 30 reps

** Lunge **
- 20.0 kgs x 12 reps
- 20.0 kgs x 12 reps
- 20.0 kgs x 12 reps

** Knee Raise **
- 30 reps
- 30 reps
- 30 reps

Haha I need to eat less. :(

Bah, didn't work out all weekend because I was depressed. Just couldn't find the motivation to get up and do anything. I mostly just slept, ate, watched TV and slept some more. Went to an NHL game though, which was fun at least.
Didn't work out this morning either but I'm forcing myself to hot yoga tonight.

Live Hockey games are a blast

GO KINGS GO!

BumRush

Some people are freaks of nature, sphinx. Arnold was able to do things in the gym that would (literally) kill most men. That process may work for you, but SS and the other methods are more proven!

SeanR1221

So, after your help and some good reading I decided to follow this routine. I cut off a bunch of exercises the instructor had put on my routine and added others. I'd love to read your feedback, fitgaf! =D

Code:
Plan A

** Shoulder Protocol ** (very light shoulder exercise, it's 4 different movements using just an elastic band)
- 12 reps
- 12 reps
- 12 reps
- 12 reps
- 12 reps
- 12 reps
- 12 reps
- 12 reps

** Plank **
30' - 3 reps

** Side Plank **
30' - 3 reps

** Barbell Squat **
- 30.0 kgs x 12 reps
- 30.0 kgs x 12 reps
- 30.0 kgs x 12 reps

- 26.0 kgs x 12 reps
- 30.0 kgs x 12 reps

- 24.0 kgs x 12 reps
- 24.0 kgs x 12 reps
- 24.0 kgs x 11 reps

** Bench Triceps Dip **
- 12 reps
- 12 reps
- 12 reps

** Crunch **
- 30 reps
- 30 reps
- 30 reps

Code:
Plan B

30' - 3 reps 

** The Hundred **
- 30 reps
- 30 reps
- 30 reps

** Deadlift **
- 24.0 kgs x 12 reps
- 24.0 kgs x 12 reps
- 24.0 kgs x 12 reps

- 6.0 kgs x 12 reps
- 6.0 kgs x 12 reps
- 6.0 kgs x 12 reps

** Scott Curl **
- 16.0 kgs x 12 reps
- 16.0 kgs x 12 reps
- 16.0 kgs x 12 reps

- 30 reps
- 30 reps
- 30 reps

** Lunge **
- 20.0 kgs x 12 reps
- 20.0 kgs x 12 reps
- 20.0 kgs x 12 reps

** Knee Raise **
- 30 reps
- 30 reps
- 30 reps

Why all 3x12s? That's a ton of volume especially on deadlift.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement

Code:
Plan A

- 12 reps
- 12 reps
- 12 reps
- 12 reps
- 12 reps
- 12 reps
- 12 reps
- 12 reps

** Plank **
30' - 3 reps

** Side Plank **
30' - 3 reps

** Barbell Squat **
- 30.0 kgs x 12 reps
- 30.0 kgs x 12 reps
- 30.0 kgs x 12 reps

- 26.0 kgs x 12 reps
- 30.0 kgs x 12 reps

- 24.0 kgs x 12 reps
- 24.0 kgs x 12 reps
- 24.0 kgs x 11 reps

** Bench Triceps Dip **
- 12 reps
- 12 reps
- 12 reps

** Crunch **
- 30 reps
- 30 reps
- 30 reps

Code:
Plan B

30' - 3 reps 

** The Hundred **
- 30 reps
- 30 reps
- 30 reps

** Deadlift **
- 24.0 kgs x 12 reps
- 24.0 kgs x 12 reps
- 24.0 kgs x 12 reps

- 6.0 kgs x 12 reps
- 6.0 kgs x 12 reps
- 6.0 kgs x 12 reps

** Scott Curl **
- 16.0 kgs x 12 reps
- 16.0 kgs x 12 reps
- 16.0 kgs x 12 reps

- 30 reps
- 30 reps
- 30 reps

** Lunge **
- 20.0 kgs x 12 reps
- 20.0 kgs x 12 reps
- 20.0 kgs x 12 reps

** Knee Raise **
- 30 reps
- 30 reps
- 30 reps

Here's the thing, anything will get you results if you do it consistently and have a good nutritional plan. What you posted will work but it is very far from optimal and not the most efficient use of your time IMO. I don't know why 12 reps seems to be the magic number but when you are performing nearly 50 reps of an exercise you will need to lift a very low percentage of what you are capable of.

A few things I noticed:

-The difference in weight between bench press and DB flyes is very small. The BB bench should be much higher than flyes. Mine is well over 200 pounds. To that note, your squat is inline with these two exercises also. It should be much higher.

-I am not a fan of 12 rep deadlifts. At least not every workout. Throw them in to work on speed once in a while but doing 12 every week means you're not pushing yourself like you would in the 3-5 range.

All in all you would be best served doing fewer exercises for fewer reps. Learning the main ones like squat, DL, bench press, overhead press, and pullups will benefit you greatly. This is why Starting Strength in the OP is so great for begginers. It's a steady diet of those exercises and at lower rep ranges. Many times in lifting weights as in life, less is more.

TTOOLL

Here's the thing, anything will get you results if you do it consistently and have a good nutritional plan. What you posted will work but it is very far from optimal and not the most efficient use of your time IMO. I don't know why 12 reps seems to be the magic number but when you are performing nearly 50 reps of an exercise you will need to lift a very low percentage of what you are capable of.

A few things I noticed:

-The difference in weight between bench press and DB flyes is very small. The BB bench should be much higher than flyes. Mine is well over 200 pounds. To that note, your squat is inline with these two exercises also. It should be much higher.

-I am not a fan of 12 rep deadlifts. At least not every workout. Throw them in to work on speed once in a while but doing 12 every week means you're not pushing yourself like you would in the 3-5 range.

All in all you would be best served doing fewer exercises for fewer reps. Learning the main ones like squat, DL, bench press, overhead press, and pullups will benefit you greatly. This is why Starting Strength in the OP is so great for begginers. It's a steady diet of those exercises and at lower rep ranges. Many times in lifting weights as in life, less is more.

Thanks for the input, Cooter! As I said, I kind of mixed what you guys said with things I read and a little bit from the gym's instructor. I've been working out for a month, but I'll try to lower the number of repetitions while increasing the weight!

Why all 3x12s? That's a ton of volume especially on deadlift.

I was trying to follow what I was doing previously, but I'll change that. I'll try 3x5! Thanks, Sean!

Not sure how you all feel about preworkout but looking for something new next cycle.

Coming off Neurocore and I'm up to about 4 scoops with no effect. Probably a sign I should take a break, lol.

Anyways, I've done C4, Assault, N-Explode, Jack3d and a few others in my years with no explicit favorite. They had limited selection while I was deployed a couple of times and I just kind of stuck with what i knew.

Looking at this Jym Pre Jym crap. Any other ones I should try?

What's your leg day like?

Quite a bit different from most in the thread. It's aimed at improving my mountain biking strength / endurance so it's quite high rep squats, lunges, step-ups, calf raises, single leg deadlift etc.

It also absolutely obliterates me. Just finished a little over an hour with an average heart rate of 158 and a max of 186 (about three off my absolute max).

All I want to do now is throw up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom