• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Anyone here go to a roid gym. By that I mean a gym where a decent amount of the people that train there are on steroids etc. anyone have any sage advice or does it not really matter?

I do. And I actually get a shit load of respect from the guys for the numbers I move while being lifetime natural.

Shit my numbers are better than most of theirs and my deadlift shits on all of them. Even the strongest.

That said, it's a very heavily BB focused gym, but these guys are strong as fuck.

It doesn't matter. Just do you.

ILoveBish

Fair play, you've got some strange eating habits!

By my reckoning, to have that sort of protein content you're looking at about 300g of cooked chicken and 100g of mozzarella. I don't think I could eat half of it! Does sound tasty though.

Its delicious, macro rich food, and keeps me full all day. I'm almost done with the write up for the nutrition thread, i was hoping to have it done last week but just too damn busy. Working on the pics now, then going to do write up.

FWIW, i get 150ish grams of protein a day, i brought it down from the 180-200 i had it at because it was seriously too much. 150 is more then plenty while on a cut to maintain muscle. My problem is still getting enough fat everyday, i need to be at 140+g, im usually at 90-110 when i try. Its a very deep cut atm, but its also been incredibly easy for me, so i'm just going for it.

I also have my next meal planned, going to make a Philly Cheese Steak casserole, onions, peppers, provolgne, mayo and either steak or cheese. I'll give my meal i have now another 2-3 months i think because i love it and its delicious, then move onto the next.

What's the question? Short of the temptation to use, there's really no reason why you shouldn't go to a gym where lots of people are on steroids.

I mean, you'll probably get a whole ton of shit advice that only really applies to people who are on gear, but you'll get a a ton of shit advice at every gym... and here too. :D

Not tempted in the slightest, just figured I'd get some opinions (more about the culture really).

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Not tempted in the slightest, just figured I'd get some opinions (more about the culture really).

It's what you'd expect. Almost stereotypically. And one of them (at least one) will probably approach you to see if you're interested. If you're not, just tell them that. Don't make shit up.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I almost skipped working out today after having a shitty Monday. But I did anyway and now I feel 1000x better. It's getting to where I feel a buildup of tension and stress when I don't stick to my 3 times a week, which I think is a good thing.

I think we have had this conversation earlier. If you eat too little, your body don't want to burn the fat but keep it even more tight.

Also if you are feeling depressed, working out can actually help with that. Rest days are fine as well though.

I am going to gym tomorrow and today I scheduled to go Nordic walking. I should check the weather forecast before deciding to do something like that. It was the worst snow storm of the year. My planned two hours walk changed to one hour walk. Even my eyelashes were frozen when I headed in. My footprints were gone in a matter of minutes.

Snowstorm20150113.jpg

Dammit, I am not always realizing it is you since you are changing your avatar.

Naughty boy.

Hahah, they need more people like you. :D

I'll never complain about living in sunny Arizona again

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Anyone have advice on fatigue?

I'm on day two of my diet/training and I've completley cut out diet sodas and energy drinks. I'm taking green tea extract supplements, but Im really trying hard to not drink sodas and energy drinks.

I know that black coffee is suppose to be okay, but I'm not a huge black coffee fan, though I will force myself to drink it if I have to.

I got about 7 hours of sleep last night, woke at 4 this morning, went to gym and did cardio for half hour. Did the same thing yesterday, now I'm just drained as hell. I hate the sleep feeling because I really need to stay alert at work.

:(

Have you literally only just stopped drinking that stuff? If so, it's going to take at least a couple of weeks for your body to adjust.

Also, not white coffee instead of black? You're only talking about 50ml or so of milk per cup. Assuming you don't drink it like it's going out of fashion then you're probably only talking about 200 kcal or so extra a day.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Have you literally only just stopped drinking that stuff? If so, it's going to take at least a couple of weeks for your body to adjust.

Also, not white coffee instead of black? You're only talking about 50ml or so of milk per cup. Assuming you don't drink it like it's going out of fashion then you're probably only talking about 200 kcal or so extra a day.

There is non-dairy creamer here at my office, but I was trying to stay away from it. I guess a teaspoon wont hurt? And yes, I literally had my last energy drink/soda yesterday morning. I'm usually drinking diet sodas all day and one or two energy drinks a day.

BumRush

Why is eating so difficult FitGAF? I'm only 140 at 5'6 (trying to bulk because I'm skinnyfat) but it feels so difficult to ingest 140g of protein without heavily relying on milk and whey protein. Problem with milk is all the fat that comes with it.

I'm thinking I may just entirely cut cereal out of my breakfast entirely and instead maybe focus on scrambled eggs or something similar (I can't eat sausage or bacon).

Have you tried drinking skim milk? Whey, eggs, low-fat cheese, etc. are all excellent sources of protein.

There is non-dairy creamer here at my office, but I was trying to stay away from it. I guess a teaspoon wont hurt? And yes, I literally had my last energy drink/soda yesterday morning. I'm usually drinking diet sodas all day and one or two energy drinks a day.

So yeah, it's going to take a while for you to adjust. That's a massive drop in caffeine (and additives).

I don't really know what's in non dairy creamer, so I can't comment on that. Easy enough to look up I imagine. I do intermittent fasting so I know what it's like to have to drink black coffee. I have one white coffee in the morning, and that's all I let myself have before breaking my fast around 17:00. I don't hate it, but for me it's no-where near as nice as white coffee.

Unrelated, starting to feel legs seizing up - DOMS city here I come. Have done a bit more foam rolling but I suspect it's not going to make any difference. I guess if I'm lucky this time it'll last a couple of days less.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
So yeah, it's going to take a while for you to adjust. That's a massive drop in caffeine (and additives).

I don't really know what's in non dairy creamer, so I can't comment on that. Easy enough to look up I imagine. I do intermittent fasting so I know what it's like to have to drink black coffee. I have one white coffee in the morning, and that's all I let myself have before breaking my fast around 17:00. I don't hate it, but for me it's no-where near as nice as white coffee.

Yeah...you're right, it's probably the massive drop in caffeine...coupled with waking at 4AM and doing cardio for 30 mins starting yesterday when my wife and I haven't been to the gym in over a month. I did a second cardio session after work yesterday in late afternoon. This morning we woke at 4AM and did another 30 min cardio. Now I'm just feeling the fatigue.

I'm trying to follow Kris Gethin's 12-week program. While I'll admit, I'm not going to be 100% accurate to his instructions, I am trying to cut out sodas and energy drinks, as well as beer :(

I really want to force myself to go through with this and see the results.

Hi Fitness-GAF! I've been body building since September and I wanted some guidance on what my next few steps should be.

So I've always been a skinny guy and I decided late last year to work on changing my frame, mostly to get stronger but also because I've been told I'd look better with a bigger frame (lol). Since September I've been doing a lot of lifting and protein intake (about 1g of protein per body weight), and I've gained 20+ pounds since. I'm proud of that. Of course while I've gained muscle I've gained fat too, and since it's been almost 6 months I'm wondering whether I should take a break from bulking and take a few months to work on definition and burning fat. I keep wavering between the two choices because while I'd be happy with the muscle mass I have now (and I'd look even better without the layer of fat over it) it's still nowhere near my goal and I don't want to get comfortable with making no gains for a while.

A little guidance would be great! And if you recommend that I start trimming, what's a good workout program to follow? Am I still supposed to consume the same amount of protein as I did when I bulked or can I lower the intake? Am I supposed to stay at a calorie deficit the whole time, or can I alternate my diet to reflect my workouts?

Thanks in advance for the help!

O.v.e.rlord

Banned
Welp. I just witnessed a man in flip flops take up a squat rack to do arm curls. -.- yup.

Hi Fitness-GAF! I've been body building since September and I wanted some guidance on what my next few steps should be.

So I've always been a skinny guy and I decided late last year to work on changing my frame, mostly to get stronger but also because I've been told I'd look better with a bigger frame (lol). Since September I've been doing a lot of lifting and protein intake (about 1g of protein per body weight), and I've gained 20+ pounds since. I'm proud of that. Of course while I've gained muscle I've gained fat too, and since it's been almost 6 months I'm wondering whether I should take a break from bulking and take a few months to work on definition and burning fat. I keep wavering between the two choices because while I'd be happy with the muscle mass I have now (and I'd look even better without the layer of fat over it) it's still nowhere near my goal and I don't want to get comfortable with making no gains for a while.

A little guidance would be great! And if you recommend that I start trimming, what's a good workout program to follow? Am I still supposed to consume the same amount of protein as I did when I bulked or can I lower the intake? Am I supposed to stay at a calorie deficit the whole time, or can I alternate my diet to reflect my workouts?

Thanks in advance for the help!

I say keep going till you stop improving. You just started and gained some good weight keep at it. I think for it's to soon for you to start cutting. But that's up to you though :D

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Can anyone explain the curls in the squat rack thing to me? I see literally no advantage in it.

I use the squat rack to do straight arm dumbell curls, but I only do it when no one is using the squat rack. My gym doesn't have a dumbell straight bar to add weights to. They have a straight bar rack with pre-determined weights 20 through 90, but it's missing some like 45, 55, 60.

O.v.e.rlord

Banned
I use the squat rack to do straight arm dumbell curls, but I only do it when no one is using the squat rack. My gym doesn't have a dumbell straight bar to add weights to. They have a straight bar rack with pre-determined weights 20 through 90, but it's missing some like 45, 55, 60.

Well that is understandable. You're kind of forced to. But you're mindful of others when you do it. I think we are talking about who just do it saying to themselves "fuck everybody else I'm doing arm curls here"

I only do curls in the squat rack when there are a lot of people at the gym and there are no other free squat racks. I try and grunt loudly with each dumbbell rep so people know I'm still using the rack and won't be done for a while, you know, for their sake. If they try and talk to me I feel bad sometimes because I just shrug and wave them away because my headphones are too loud for me to hear them and I am in too much of a hurry to take them off ever.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I only do curls in the squat rack when there are a lot of people at the gym and there are no other free squat racks. I try and grunt loudly with each dumbbell rep so people know I'm still using the rack and won't be done for a while, you know, for their sake. If they try and talk to me I feel bad sometimes because I just shrug and wave them away because my headphones are too loud for me to hear them and I am in too much of a hurry to take them off ever.

Z8LVbnE.gif

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Whhaaaaa???
This is a big shock.

Just had smores it's eh. At last is not bad like lemon pie.

Seriously. I had a bunch of friends anticipating it and a local popular sup company was hyping it upm I had to shit on the hype. Cookies and cream, white chocolate raspberry, and apple pie are all superior.

JustinBB7

Hey Fit-Gaf, I'm looking to buy a home trainer, I go running outside and lift weights already, but my feet kinda suck, so while my stamina is good enough to keep on running, I have to take breaks because my feet hurt.

Won't have this problem with a home trainer so I'd like to buy one, I found one for 150 euros, which is one of the more affordable ones, but I dunno if it's any good. Plus, the recommended height is 1.80m and I'm 1.84m. Will those 4cm matter a lot or should I spend even more money?

I was looking at this one, the FitBike Ride 1 Hometrainer

Beefy

Any one got any suggestions on what I can use as a sub for dairy? I can't drink milk so feel I am missing out on a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom