• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.
only eating about 1400-1600 calories on keto. It's so hard to eat now, never hungry

That's really, really low for someone your size that isn't adding exercise calories on top. How much weight are you losing on that?

Also, weights aren't always low calorie burn, depends entirely what you're doing. I've had (leg) days where I've burned over 900kcal from weights alone (admittedly that's an hour and a half of weights), and that's not a random guess, that's using a high end polar HRM that has my correct VO2max plugged into it.

ILoveBish

That's really, really low for someone your size that isn't adding exercise calories on top. How much weight are you losing on that?

Also, weights aren't always low calorie burn, depends entirely what you're doing. I've had (leg) days where I've burned over 900kcal from weights alone (admittedly that's an hour and a half of weights), and that's not a random guess, that's using a high end polar HRM that has my correct VO2max plugged into it.

I've just recently gotten more strict about my diet, losing 1-2lbs per week at this rate from my calculations, but again this is new territory for me to be so strict. Before I'd eat extra high fat stuff if I felt like it, hard for me to do now.

And I don't put much stock into calories burned measured from hrm. They're wildly inaccurate, IMO.

Not in my experience, after years of training I can pretty much put myself within 100-200kcal a day and know if I'm going to gain or lose weight. I'm not talking about random shitty machines in the gym (yes, they're a complete joke), or HRMs that guess based on your age / sex, but ones that work by taking into consideration your (tested) VO2Max, weight, fat, height, age etc.

They're certainly far less useful for weights vs cardio though.

Eklipsis

I really need some dedicated gym shoes... Id like some cheaper/reasonably priced ones not necessarily weightlifting and I have big feet so I need my size. My work boots are 14 wide. Any suggestions?

AnAnole

1) Hard to tell, but I was probably just maintaining strength during those 8 weeks, since there is an adjustment period once you go carb-less. The first 2-3 weeks I definitely saw a decrease in reps/weight I could do, roughly around 5-10%. The last month I've returned to normal strength levels, however.

2) I wasn't measuring calorie burn at all. The keto calculator I linked to earlier lists various activity levels in order to provide a caloric estimate. I chose "moderately active" because it fit the description (I do weight training 4x/week, staying in the 8-12 rep range). But as I said, even if I choose "sedentary," I get ~2550 cal as a daily estimate on a 20% deficit. I still should have been losing weight according to the calculator/common sense.

3) Highly unlikely. I was very, very strict with entering info and measuring my food.

Obviously I can (and probably will) just cut calories further, maybe to around 2250/day and see what happens.

Unfortunately, due to adaptive thermogenesis due to losing > 10% of your initial weight, your weight maintenance is actually ~20% lower than what it should be according to calculators. A 20% deficit is actually weight maintenance for you.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
If any of you are regularly having Quest bars, I highly recommend breaking them into three squares and baking them at 350 for 8 minutes.

Trust me, your life will never be the same and you'll wonder why you've been eating Quest bars wrong this whole time. Go with Cookie Dough first.

ILoveBish

Not in my experience, after years of training I can pretty much put myself within 100-200kcal a day and know if I'm going to gain or lose weight. I'm not talking about random shitty machines in the gym (yes, they're a complete joke), or HRMs that guess based on your age / sex, but ones that work by taking into consideration your (tested) VO2Max, weight, fat, height, age etc.

Ok, well all the ones I've tried were bunk, perhaps you are correct, but I'm not at the point where I need to calculate calories to gain weight yet. So I haven't looked into it as deeply as you obviously have.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
If any of you are regularly having Quest bars, I highly recommend breaking them into three squares and baking them at 350 for 8 minutes.

Trust me, your life will never be the same and you'll wonder why you've been eating Quest bars wrong this whole time. Go with Cookie Dough first.

I've read that cooking whey might make some of the protein non-bio available. Not sure if that's true or not. I doubt it, but I wonder if that effects the quest bars too.

SeanR1221

Friends and I are having a mini meet this Saturday for fun. Squat, bench, dead and then a big lunch after.

Should be a lot of fun, but I'm ready for all those 1rm attempts to kick my ass. Id imagine it's VERY different from what I'm used to and you're probably beat as hell by the end. I'm the only one of the 4 who has never actually competed.

Eklipsis

Beverly international has a bunch of recipes baking with their powder. Like pancakes and brownies and such on their website

Anyone have any suggestions for decent tricep exercises? Dips are working pretty well for me, but I'm struggling to find much else. Skull crushers are ok, but I'm not sure my form is particularly good. Tricep kickbacks don't seem to be doing much for me at all.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Anyone have any suggestions for decent tricep exercises? Dips are working pretty well for me, but I'm struggling to find much else. Skull crushers are ok, but I'm not sure my form is particularly good. Tricep kickbacks don't seem to be doing much for me at all.

Overheads dumbbell tricep presses? Basically sit down and hold up the dumbbell, laterally, behind your head with both hands. Lower the weight down and bring it back up. These usually burn em good.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

Rolling DB extensions. I love them.

Overheads dumbbell tricep presses? Basically sit down and hold up the dumbbell, laterally, behind your head with both hands. Lower the weight down and bring it back up. These usually burn em good.

Oops, should have included that one. Cheers though. Yeah, they're a lot like skull crushers, noticeable weakness in my left arm when I do those.

Talking of which, do people generally try and fix those weaknesses, or just assume they're always going to have some imbalance, and let one side limit the other?

Rolling DB extensions. I love them.

Not heard of that one. The rolling part already makes it sound hard. :D

Edit - Looked it up, that's a really interesting movement.

Does anyone meal plan for the entire week on Sunday? And not only plan but to actually bake your chicken or whatever you plan to eat and set up portions in tupperware? I am thinking of trying this and just stocking my fridge with plastic containers I can take out and heat up each night.

Cudder

Smores and Cookie Dough are pretty much tied in 1st place for me.

Also, those Adipower shoes, are they recommended for squats or just deadlifting?

G-Pink

I think this is my first post in the Fitness thread, and ya'll seem pretty friendly, so I thought I'd post and see if I could get a few suggestions.
I've been on a specific workout circuit now for about 4 months, and I've been keeping to it fairly strictly. It's at the point where I'm working out 4 days a week, and I feel guilty if I break from that, so I'm really feeling like I can make some progress. My diet is one lacking part of my plan, and I'm certainly not seeing as many gains as I would if I ate better, but I've introduced whole milk into my diet, I eat as much as I can to feel full during the day, and I have a protein shake after every workout.

When I made the plan, I used this plan as a template, and took into account all the reading I've been doing, with Starting Strength and other plans, in order to make this one. I wanted something that would help me build muscle mass and strength, up to my goal weight of 180 (at 165 now, 5'11"), then transition nicely over to toning, when I felt like my goals for strength had been met. So far, here's the plan:

Day 1: Chest & Triceps
Barbell Bench Press 4x5
Incline Dumbbell Bench Press 3x5
Incline Dumbbell Flyes 3x6
Triceps Pressdown 4x6
Lying Triceps Extension 3x6

Day 2: Back & Biceps
Deadlift 4x6
Wide Grip Pulldown 3x6
Barbell Curl 4x6
Incline Dumbell Curl 3x6
(Crunches & Oblique Crunches at the end)

Day 3: Shoulders & Abs
Dumbbell Shoulder Press 4x6
Dumbbell Flyes 3x6
Dumbbell Shrug 4x8
(Crunches & Oblique Crunches here)

Day 4: Legs
Barbell Squat 4x6
Leg Extensions 4x6
Lying Leg Curls 3x6

Couple questions for you guys/gals. Anything glaring that I'm missing, that I would benefit from greatly by adding to the plan? As far as equipment, I have a Barbell/Squat rack, with cable attachment, various free weights, and a bench, with leg attachment for the aforementioned leg extensions and lying leg curls. If at all possible, I'd like to stick with that equipment, since going to a gym in this weather is a no-go.

Any additional advice would be awesome if you guys think of anything. Thanks in advance!

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Yoke is getting better, but this damned thing will smoke the shit out of your legs abs and back. Spent 40min with this bitch today.

Starts at 415 ends at 485.

http://youtu.be/57BpUASOnM4

This may have been a bad idea. I'm already feeling wrecked.

I've been loving them.

Cookies and Cream is my top tier. Then cookie dough and snores next tier. After that comes cinnamon and brownie. Then I'm willing to do PB or PBJ but unlikely to buy either.

PB is good but not worth buying a box.

Also, those Adipower shoes, are they recommended for squats or just deadlifting?

I bench, log press, and squat in them. Deadlifting is barefoot.

Chocobro

Squats. Generally recommended for HBBS, not so much for LBBS; some people like it for LBBS, some don't.
You can try to deadlift in them, changes the biomechanics slightly. I'm still DLing in them because I'm experimenting. I feel I'm stronger off the ground because of the extra leg drive.
In general, I do pretty much all of my lifts in adipowers.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD

In my experience the shoes I have (Inov-8) really helped my poor ankle flexibility and depth on high bar squats. I haven't experimented too much with them on low bar.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I think this is my first post in the Fitness thread, and ya'll seem pretty friendly, so I thought I'd post and see if I could get a few suggestions.
I've been on a specific workout circuit now for about 4 months, and I've been keeping to it fairly strictly. It's at the point where I'm working out 4 days a week, and I feel guilty if I break from that, so I'm really feeling like I can make some progress. My diet is one lacking part of my plan, and I'm certainly not seeing as many gains as I would if I ate better, but I've introduced whole milk into my diet, I eat as much as I can to feel full during the day, and I have a protein shake after every workout.

When I made the plan, I used this plan as a template, and took into account all the reading I've been doing, with Starting Strength and other plans, in order to make this one. I wanted something that would help me build muscle mass and strength, up to my goal weight of 180 (at 165 now, 5'11"), then transition nicely over to toning, when I felt like my goals for strength had been met. So far, here's the plan:

Day 1: Chest & Triceps
Barbell Bench Press 4x5
Incline Dumbbell Bench Press 3x5
Incline Dumbbell Flyes 3x6
Triceps Pressdown 4x6
Lying Triceps Extension 3x6

Day 2: Back & Biceps
Deadlift 4x6
Wide Grip Pulldown 3x6
Barbell Curl 4x6
Incline Dumbell Curl 3x6
(Crunches & Oblique Crunches at the end)

Day 3: Shoulders & Abs
Dumbbell Shoulder Press 4x6
Dumbbell Flyes 3x6
Dumbbell Shrug 4x8
(Crunches & Oblique Crunches here)

Day 4: Legs
Barbell Squat 4x6
Leg Extensions 4x6
Lying Leg Curls 3x6

Couple questions for you guys/gals. Anything glaring that I'm missing, that I would benefit from greatly by adding to the plan? As far as equipment, I have a Barbell/Squat rack, with cable attachment, various free weights, and a bench, with leg attachment for the aforementioned leg extensions and lying leg curls. If at all possible, I'd like to stick with that equipment, since going to a gym in this weather is a no-go.

Any additional advice would be awesome if you guys think of anything. Thanks in advance!

Is this for bodybuilding or strength? It does neither well. No sense or way for progression, arbitrary reps/sets. No weights denoted and you used the word "tone." Not to mention "ab and shoulder day." And movements you've selected are at random.

Have you read the OP?

ILoveBish

Being home after work, and having gone to the gym during work hours, i dont know what to do with my life right now. I've been stressing about what time at night im going to hit the gym after work for over 2 years, not having to do this is weird.

G-Pink

Is this for bodybuilding or strength? It does neither well. No sense or way for progression, arbitrary reps/sets. No weights denoted and you used the word "tone." Not to mention "ab and shoulder day." And movements you've selected are at random.

Have you read the OP?

Thanks for the reply, I have indeed read the OP. Apologies if I've left some information out, I didn't want my post to be too long and drawling.
Ideally, I'd like to build strength as I reach closer to my goal weight, but the bodybuilding aspect is the one I'd most like to focus on until I do. Through reading, I've come across the idea that changing the number of reps per set is a good way to challenge your muscles, which is the reason some of those numbers might seem to be nebulous. As for weights, I often don't obsessively track them, and unfortunately, because of equipment limits, they're not as high as I think they might be if I had easy access to a gym, but here's a couple to give you a better idea of where I'm at:

Barbell Bench Press: 135
Deadlift: 170
Squats: 100

I should mention that this particular plan is certainly not perfect, in fact, like you say, it's very likely ineffective, but I've tried Starting Strength, and it's so dreadfully boring, it's hard to stay with it. I need more variety than a workout like that, and if you feel strongly that something closer to the Upper/Lower Split is more worth my time, I'll certainly listen. I'm just here to learn.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Thanks for the reply, I have indeed read the OP. Apologies if I've left some information out, I didn't want my post to be too long and drawling.
Ideally, I'd like to build strength as I reach closer to my goal weight, but the bodybuilding aspect is the one I'd most like to focus on until I do. Through reading, I've come across the idea that changing the number of reps per set is a good way to challenge your muscles, which is the reason some of those numbers might seem to be nebulous. As for weights, I often don't obsessively track them, and unfortunately, because of equipment limits, they're not as high as I think they might be if I had easy access to a gym, but here's a couple to give you a better idea of where I'm at:

Barbell Bench Press: 135
Deadlift: 170
Squats: 100

I should mention that this particular plan is certainly not perfect, in fact, like you say, it's very likely ineffective, but I've tried Starting Strength, and it's so dreadfully boring, it's hard to stay with it. I need more variety than a workout like that, and if you feel strongly that something closer to the Upper/Lower Split is more worth my time, I'll certainly listen. I'm just here to learn.

I'm not saying you need to do SS. I sure as hell didn't but your plan needs structure and clear progression, neither of which your plan has. Also at your strength level you're doing too much bullshit. You'd be better off hitting the main lifts hard and frequently, picking one or two accessory movements (no more) and hit some ab work (roll outs and hanging leg raises). And have a clear plan of progression. (Add weight each workout/week/etc).

Build a base in strength, then progress to BB in my opinion.

Less is more, especially for a beginner. At your level you don't need to be spending even an hour in the gym.

This was a surprise to my wife (I'm training her). She's a complete untrained and her training lasts about 15-20 min right now and the next day she's wrecked.

G-Pink

I'm not saying you need to do SS. I sure as hell didn't but your plan needs structure and clear progression, neither of which your plan has. Also at your strength level you're doing too much bullshit. You'd be better off hitting the main lifts hard and frequently, picking one or two accessory movements (no more) and hit some ab work (roll outs and hanging leg raises). And have a clear plan of progression. (Add weight each workout/week/etc).

Build a base in strength, then progress to BB in my opinion.

Less is more, especially for a beginner. At your level you don't need to be spending even an hour in the gym.

This was a surprise to my wife (I'm training her). She's a complete untrained and her training lasts about 15-20 min right now and the next day she's wrecked.

Awesome, thanks for the advice. I think I'll try working on the Upper/Lower Split, with some auxiliary movements (not many). Didn't realize the progression aspect was so important to track, I'll make up a tracking sheet and write down my max weights, and work to add to that constantly. It's good to know. I'll work on this for a couple weeks, and report back. Thanks again.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Getting into PR territory for Deadlift according to my app, which is only 255 lbs. At least my lift strength levels are starting to normalize.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Has anyone here gone through a strict cutting phase? As in, just cardio, and strict low-fat dieting?

Curious what your experience was like.

I thought it was a little odd that two people from a thread decided to watch a random 1977 documentary in 24 hours. :D

Has anyone here gone through a strict cutting phase? As in, just cardio, and strict low-fat dieting?

Why would you do just cardio? Unless it's only for a very short time period it's best to keep doing resistance training whilst cutting.

Have done plenty of cuts, but the last low fat / pure cardio ones I did were about 10 years ago, when I didn't know better... and I lost a TON of strength.

When you say low fat, just how low do you mean? Drop it too low and you'll significantly reduce testosterone output (which will already be reduced by the calorie deficit). You'll need to drop it a bit (as with others) to hit your calorie targets, but don't forget that fat is an important component of any diet.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick

Are you trying to preserve muscle? As suggested, put an emphasis on weightlifting, cardio secondary. Make sure your protein intake is consistently high (.8 to 1:1 your bodyweight in lbs). Maybe think about high fat, protein and low carb.

Loki

Count of Concision
Honestly, the calculators are not to be taken as pure gospel, they are starting points to work with. When it comes to keto, the main things are the macros.

Carbs should be 30g net or less (I like under 20), you're protein should be .5 to 1.0 of lean body mass, so if you're 200lbs, with 30% body fat, your lean mass is 140lbs. I like to hover around .7 to .8 myself, it's all personal preference. Darthluiggi from reddit does .5g per lean pound in protein and he gains muscle just fine. The rest of your calories come from fat.

Yeah, I was at 30g or less of net carbs per day (most days under 25g), and my macros were ~185g protein/190g fat since my lean weight is around 200 pounds.

And lifting weights does not burn many calories. I go with sedentary on any calculators I use and the calories burned while lifting are just icing on the low carb cake.

I initially selected "moderately active" because their description of it seemed to fit the best. When I select "sedentary" I get ~2100 cal/day as my estimate at a 20% deficit.

Also since like myself you were obese, the fat doesn't want to leave easily. Just keep tracking and keep going. I weighed in at 246lbs this morning, lift heavy on 5/3/1 and only eating about 1400-1600 calories on keto. It's so hard to eat now, never hungry.

I would definitely lower the calories if I were you personally, protein and fat.

Yeah, I'm planning on going down to around 2200 cal/day. 1400-1600 cal sounds pretty extreme - my friend who's knowledgeable about these things told me that 1800 cal/day is a hard lower limit for males, going below which will be counterproductive or have other health consequences.

AnAnole said:
Unfortunately, due to adaptive thermogenesis due to losing > 10% of your initial weight, your weight maintenance is actually ~20% lower than what it should be according to calculators. A 20% deficit is actually weight maintenance for you.

Can you elaborate on this? Both the concept of adaptive thermogenesis, and why whatever it is wouldn't be accounted for when I plug my current values in to the keto calculator? Like, even though I've lost >10% from my starting weight (~308 -> 260), why wouldn't this be accounted for when I plug the values of 260 lbs/~25% body fat into the calculator, thus giving me an accurate caloric estimate?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Yes, I just got done losing about 70 lbs. I was on the ol' "Four Quesaritos at lunch while lifting" diet and it got out of control. Can't outwork a shit diet.

So I stopped lifting for a couple reasons - one was I'm focus-driven and have a very hard time ignoring my body's screams for more quesaritos when I'd lift heavy. That, and I had some medical issues. So I ran, I ran a lot.

I won't lie, going strict keto diet and running...that shit melted off. But I've been losing strength. And it fucking sucks. But it worked. No cheat days. Head down. Run, eat, sleep, suffer. FUCK cardio.

So in Feb, it's time to get back to lifting. I'm ready.

EDIT: Also, fuck low-fat, that shit doesn't make sense. Eat fats forever. They are unfairly vilified.

Bowser

Yes, I just got done losing about 70 lbs. I was on the ol' "Four Quesaritos at lunch while lifting" diet and it got out of control. Can't outwork a shit diet.

So I stopped lifting for a couple reasons - one was I'm focus-driven and have a very hard time ignoring my body's screams for more quesaritos when I'd lift heavy. That, and I had some medical issues. So I ran, I ran a lot.

I won't lie, going strict keto diet and running...that shit melted off. But I've been losing strength. And it fucking sucks. But it worked. No cheat days. Head down. Run, eat, sleep, suffer. FUCK cardio.

So in Feb, it's time to get back to lifting. I'm ready.

EDIT: Also, fuck low-fat, that shit doesn't make sense. Eat fats forever. They are unfairly vilified.

Damn 70 lbs? You take before and afters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom