• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

J. Bravo

Wow. Squatted 335x5 today. That is my absolute 5rm. Pretty much no way I could have lifted more. Came in wanting 275, that was easy. So were 295 and 315. Considering that my 1rm was 375 a couple months ago, getting this today (after 8 hours on my feet at work and only eating one piece of pizza all day, I'll take it. Also i havent squatted consistently since joining my new gym back around thanksgiving. Probably the vyvanse hahaha.

Also met this cool old strong mofo. Pretty much brolic, maybe a lil older. He seemed really happy that I was squatting and squatting heavy and correctly lol.

Edit: Forgot to mention I actually grunted/yelled at the end of my 5th rep. That rep was a struggle. Dude got up and almost spotted me it was so bad. No injury tho, luckily.

RoeBear

Wow. Squatted 335x5 today. That is my absolute 5rm. Pretty much no way I could have lifted more. Came in wanting 275, that was easy. So were 295 and 315. Considering that my 1rm was 375 a couple months ago, getting this today (after 8 hours on my feet at work and only eating one piece of pizza all day, I'll take it. Also i havent squatted consistently since joining my new gym back around thanksgiving. Probably the vyvanse hahaha.

Also met this cool old strong mofo. Pretty much brolic, maybe a lil older. He seemed really happy that I was squatting and squatting heavy and correctly lol.

Edit: Forgot to mention I actually grunted/yelled at the end of my 5th rep. That rep was a struggle. Dude got up and almost spotted me it was so bad. No injury tho, luckily.
Congrats on the pr.

Reminds me of my leg day this week. Got 405 and on the seventh rep I yelled. It was rush hour, my boss came over and said the planet fitness lug alarm was going off. I just laughed.

Wolfe

I just ordered these two bad boys.

Under-Armour-Superhero-Alter-Ego-Compression-Shirts-1.jpg

Gotta love the internet, where else could you order two identical buff dudes in comic book shirts. Here's hoping the box they come in has holes.

Pencils are like time machines. I can go back and pretend I was so much better than I was. :p

Haha good point, and I may not erase but you should see all the scribbles and corrections I've done in my workout log. Still, I don't like mechanical pencils much and regular pencils don't have clips so I can keep it sucked into the spiral binding :p

So uh SpiritReaver....

I was in the Show off your Dragon Age Inquisitor thread and I couldn't help but think this one reminds me of you.

SpiritReaver

/offtopic

I can definitely see it lol!

sphinx

the piano man
I just ordered these two bad boys.

Under-Armour-Superhero-Alter-Ego-Compression-Shirts-1.jpg

Compression this time. A few people wear them when they shouldn't but I look the part. Come on Reaver! If you can't pay your respect to Supes by wearing a tight fitting Superman shirt to the gym than when can you! Besides, I swear it makes me lift heavier.

I would have a blast lifting with you. If you're ever in Reno or the San Francisco area let me know.

I miss having the body for compression shirts, they really are comfortable, I'd say more than tank tops,

I hope I can come back to that in March,

Faiz

Ok, I understand the New Years crowd and the wanting to better them selves. But holy shit my gym can not handle these people! Literally!

The equipment is just being broken by these people from just slamming the weight down. Hell one of the smith machines is wobbling! How do freaking break a smith machine! And not only that, a peg on a leg press SNAPED OFF! And lastly the dumbbells. This aren't solid dumbbells. They are little plates just screwed together and from the constant dropping have come loose and almost unusable. Also No one knows how to rack weights ether.

I know I'm just ranting here or more or less venting. I just wished people just treated the equipment better :(

A few years ago shortly before I moved and consequently left my old gym, there was a guy that came in and benched on the smith machine on the second floor. He'd load it up with weight that was obviously too much for him. In the middle of the eccentric phase he would drop the weight on the rubber capped safety stops, bouncing it off. Of course those stops are meant as a safety measure, not an assistance measure and the machine isn't meant to take that kind of abuse.

Now this was early in the morning, not a lot of people around on the second floor that time of day, even staff. So I never saw anyone say anything to him. I looked it over once before I left... And it was in really rough shape.

I was tempted to try and get a video once but that felt creepy so I refrained, heh.

So today was the first day in breaking in my EliteFTS forever belt. The belt was pinching the front of my stomach when I was getting set up to do deadlifts. Is this normal or part of the breaking in process? This is the first time I've ever used a correct lifting belt (ie its the same width all the way around) so I wasn't sure if it was something that just happens or what. I felt pretty good doing 410 x 3 with it though.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
strict OHP today, was able to do 1x3 @ 115 which is two 35's. Feels good to hit those plate and I felt like I could do more (this week I don't push reps on my strength sets). Gonna do a backflip once I hit 45's

Always had issue with the OHP but recently been paying attention to technique. Mainly dlexing the glutes, abs, and making sure to rack the weight on my chest. The racking has helped a lot in regards to maintaining my energy levels in the set.

Az

Got a pinch in my neck while working shoulders on Tuesday. Shit sucks, but I'll just take it easier at the gym the next couple of days.

Buddy said it could be also a lack of water intake. I drink a decent amount, so I never heard of that being the cause.

GrapeApes

So today was the first day in breaking in my EliteFTS forever belt. The belt was pinching the front of my stomach when I was getting set up to do deadlifts. Is this normal or part of the breaking in process? This is the first time I've ever used a correct lifting belt (ie its the same width all the way around) so I wasn't sure if it was something that just happens or what. I felt pretty good doing 410 x 3 with it though.
Never experienced stomach pain with my belt. Did have the belt pinching above my hips on deadlifts. Very uncomfortable but breaking it in has solved that problem.

Never experienced stomach pain with my belt. Did have the belt pinching above my hips on deadlifts. Very uncomfortable but breaking it in has solved that problem.

Ok thanks. It might just be pinching my fat that I'm carrying on my stomach :( (stupid fat). I'm going to keep breaking it in and hope that fixes it.

Sadetar

All this talk about compression clothing made me do a run to stores as well today. I looked like a ham roll on Christmas, but they they were surprisingly comfortable. I am thinking could I use them under my normal baggy gym shirts. The size that should fit me is somewhat tight on the chest area, but I can still breath and move in it. There weren't that many to choose from (and damn most of them are expensive), but I am at the moment thinking about this:
wa2269a_blkblk.jpg

Does anyone know is 2XU a valid brand and do they do quality clothes?

Szu, your vids never fail to impress. Splendid! :D

My problem was I didn't believe I had GAINED so goddamn much. I was like "yeah I must be like 280 right? Maybe 270?" Fuck you Sunny, you're 320. WHAT

That's what throwing a scale out will do. God DAMMIT. Still, I'm lookin' right and ready to muscle up again.
Well you have done oustanding work with it. Plus I am sure you have had huge amounts of pure muscle or otherwise you can't guess 50 pounds wrong. :p Good to hear that you are back on game though. :D

Gotta love the internet, where else could you order two identical buff dudes in comic book shirts. Here's hoping the box they come in has holes.
After reading your post I think I might need to order them too... ;)

Zoe

All this talk about compression clothing made me do a run to stores as well today. I looked like a ham roll on Christmas, but they they were surprisingly comfortable. I am thinking could I use them under my normal baggy gym shirts. The size that should fit me is somewhat tight on the chest area, but I can still breath and move in it. There weren't that many to choose from (and damn most of them are expensive), but I am at the moment thinking about this:
wa2269a_blkblk.jpg

Does anyone know is 2XU a valid brand and do they do quality clothes?

Not sure about their tops, but their compression socks and calf sleeves are quality.

Wow have I lost a bunch of flexibility. My core strength seems to be down quite a lot too, which is odd as I would have thought the compound stuff would have helped keep that up.

No biggy, Yoga is definitely back into the program and I'll just add some specific abs stuff after some of the weight sessions.

Zoe

Wow have I lost a bunch of flexibility. My core strength seems to be down quite a lot too, which is odd as I would have thought the compound stuff would have helped keep that up.

No biggy, Yoga is definitely back into the program and I'll just add some specific abs stuff after some of the weight sessions.
Yoga did a hell of a lot more for my core than compound lifts ever did.

I actually get running issues because my core and ass are out of balance with my legs :(

J. Bravo

What yoga routine are you doing? And how often each week?

I don't have a 1 week schedule. It's sort of more like 11 days. :D

I'm going to be doing hard yoga on one of the days, and a easier, more stretching orientated yoga on another alongside some turbo trainer work.

As for which routine, the one I keep going back to is the P90X one (which is Hatha / Vinyasa / Ashtanga yoga), but I keep trying different ones to see how I get on with them.

BumRush

Are there any health benefits to working out (lifting) in the cold (sub-45 degrees, Fahrenheit)? My workout set-up is in my garage (in New York) and fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck it's so cold in the morning when I lift. I have noticed though that although I don't sweat nearly as much, I'm much more out of breath.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Is it bad if you're not sore the day after a workout? First couple workouts I got DOMS the next day and a bit after the next but now I barely feel it at all.

Are there any health benefits to working out (lifting) in the cold (sub-45 degrees, Fahrenheit)? My workout set-up is in my garage (in New York) and fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck it's so cold in the morning when I lift. I have noticed though that although I don't sweat nearly as much, I'm much more out of breath.

It's harder initially, because your body is also trying to heat you up. Actually an advantage later as if you get too hot your performance suffers too.

Also, cold air can be harder to breathe (narrowing of airways), which might explain the breathlessness.

Is it bad if you're not sore the day after a workout? First couple workouts I got DOMS the next day and a bit after the next but now I barely feel it at all.

No, usually after a while of getting used to a routine I stop getting DOMS altogether (legs aside). They're not an indicator of how hard you worked out.

I knew you would see the light eventually. Welcome to a happier life.
I'm slowly coming to terms with this too, but it's rough. I have some friends that are forever under 10% some even in the 5-6% range. Good friend of mine is a trainer and he's always lean and shredded and it boggles my mind. He is only 160 lbs but looks 180, it's crazy.

My body sucks.

I say this but I always hear my friend complaining about how he wishes he could be as big as me, so lol.

So, working out when you have a cold really, really sucks... wind, that is. Trying to minimize missed gym time but working out yesterday felt like I was underwater the whole time. Suggestions, fitbros?

Mostly at the dried out dregs stage but... ouch. :|

Too low bodyfat, aesthetically, think just looks weird. Like a muscle exoskeleton. Always thought a constant bit of bodyfat to soften the edges makes a person look stronger.

IMHO Arnold looked most impressive when he was at his training bodyfat. Just plain huge.

So, working out when you have a cold really, really sucks... wind, that is. Trying to minimize missed gym time but working out yesterday felt like I was underwater the whole time. Suggestions, fitbros?

Take a break. Training when you're ill rarely does you much good at all (and can actually stunt your progress for longer than if you just took some time off).

Easy to be all GRRR about it, but sometimes it's sensible not to.

Szu

Mostly at the dried out dregs stage but... ouch. :|

I second Psycho's suggestion. Working while you're sick is counter-productive.

Szu

I'm slowly coming to terms with this too, but it's rough. I have some friends that are forever under 10% some even in the 5-6% range. Good friend of mine is a trainer and he's always lean and shredded and it boggles my mind. He is only 160 lbs but looks 180, it's crazy.

My body sucks.

I say this but I always hear my friend complaining about how he wishes he could be as big as me, so lol.

Time to break out this gif again.

tumblr_lxfwotbdRP1qedb29o1_r3_500.gif

My body sucks.

live life in the 16-18% zone

only negative is fat face

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement

My body sucks.

Yeah... I'm sure it's a majority opinion around here that your body sucks. Ha

With your size and being between 10-12% it's your sweet spot. Just disregard that never satisfied voice in your head and trust me on this.

Putting pressure on your body when it's ill can make the sickness last longer too. Now that one I've had personally happen, with shitty four week colds and precisely zero energy. :(

Must...still...exercise.

/paindungeon

ILoveBish

3s week finished, hit every single rep. I've actually never gone 4 days in a row for 5/3/1, this is the first time and I love it. I usually do a body weight day also with pull ups and dips, not sure if I should do it or take the day off. Body feels good, really strong and ready for more. I'll have to sleep on it.

sphinx

the piano man
being sick and seeing how just in two weeks all your hard work of the last 4 or 5 weeks disappears is one of the most depressing things ever.

I just went through that and getting back on track.

Sadetar

being sick and seeing how just in two weeks all your hard work of the last 4 or 5 weeks disappears is one of the most depressing things ever.

I just went through that and getting back on track.
I am sure it isn't half as bad as you imagine. Still good luck getting back to where you were!

I kinda know the feeling though - my cardio still isn't where it was before the Christmas holidays. I think my gains and better health just disappear...
iqgIIwN.gif

Thank you, I try my best to keep things interesting.
You are doing excellent work!

Not sure about their tops, but their compression socks and calf sleeves are quality.
Thanks for reply! Good to know! :D At least their normal prices are ridiculously high. They better be worth it. :p I am going to go and check them again tomorrow and hope they still have my size on sales. It is good to take it in very fitting thight size, right?

Too low bodyfat, aesthetically, think just looks weird. Like a muscle exoskeleton. Always thought a constant bit of bodyfat to soften the edges makes a person look stronger.
I am with you on this. This might also be the reason why I don't always really appreciate the so called "model body" on either men or women. Or if you maintain with very low bodyfat, you better be a huge beast, imho.

Bleh, that wasn't good. Haven't been on the turbo trainer for over a month so ended up having to clean / oil the bike, fit a different saddle, get it set up on the trainer properly, get my laptop setup, work out why the network wasn't working, try and find my cycling shoes (failed) and then finally change the pedals and do it in trainers. Yay!

lol

3s week finished, hit every single rep. I've actually never gone 4 days in a row for 5/3/1, this is the first time and I love it. I usually do a body weight day also with pull ups and dips, not sure if I should do it or take the day off. Body feels good, really strong and ready for more. I'll have to sleep on it.

I go five days in a row typically on 5/3/1, but I'm an idiot.

edit: fifth day is front squats, pull ups, some row work, and whatever I feel I need to work on/whatever I want to do/call it early.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Since I'm afraid to do OHP because of injuring my shoulder I've been doing seated DB and hit a PR of 100sx5 tonight. Felt solid.

Zoe

Thanks for reply! Good to know! :D At least their normal prices are ridiculously high. They better be worth it. :p I am going to go and check them again tomorrow and hope they still have my size on sales. It is good to take it in very fitting thight size, right?

Yeah, if it's not tight enough to compress, why waste the money--just get a cheapo tech shirt.

Sadetar

Yeah, if it's not tight enough to compress, why waste the money--just get a cheapo tech shirt.
I was thinking along these lines. It will be ridiculously fit on the chest area, but other than that it was superb and it didn't affect my movements. :D Thanks again!

I'm on team four-pack and whatever percentage that has to be. It's the easiest team to be on. It says, "sure I train, but I can't turn down a good meal either."
That sounds awesome team to belong to.

And now I am trying to remember have I seen pics of you. :p

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
EliteFTS sent me fucked up J cups for my yoke. It seems I keep having problems with them. Whether it's a late shipment (most common) the wrong item, or it being completely fucked up.

RBK

Banned
Anything I can do to reduce cravings?

It's probably a mental thing, but doesn't help when I literally sit in the same room 24/7 with absolutely nothing to do.

Would much rather weight lift, but will make a commitment to go back to the track once the weather starts to warm up in the Spring.

ILoveBish

Anything I can do to reduce cravings?

It's probably a mental thing, but doesn't help when I literally sit in the same room 24/7 with absolutely nothing to do.

Would much rather weight lift, but will make a commitment to go back to the track once the weather starts to warm up in the Spring.

Keep yourself busy, enjoy more water, have some tea (with stevia, 0 calorie).

I tend to find that the times im hungry, i am usually just thirsty. Eating for bordem is bad and you should feel bad. Need to not look at eating as something to pass time if you want results unless you are bulking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom