• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

BumRush

Sounds like you got your priorities right! Fitness means different things to each of us but to be fit enough to take care of your family sounds really great to me.

I've been lurking here last 3 months as well as my MCL is still healing. 3 months of not touching lower body I have seen a big time deterioration but it's ok. Will be back at it once it heals.

Have been less strict on my diet too because it got way too difficult with schedule and work and all to eat chicken and brocoli for each meal haha.

You guys motivate me! Keep it up!

Sometimes i feel that looking in the mirror after a month or two off or getting winded walking up a dozen flights of stairs is great motivation. You've been an inspiration for me buddy so get back out there when you can...even if it's just to be healthy like me.

Bowser

67kg (147 pounds)
182cm (6ft I believe)

Just going to hazard a guess, but you're probably struggling with your lifts because you're not eating enough. 147 lbs at 6 ft sounds like you'd be wafer thin. I'm 140 and I'm 6in shorter than you. How many calories are you taking in?

Eklipsis

Great man! Best of luck!

Thanks you too...while they are young its hard to find time but now two of mine are in school so it's a lot easier to get to the gym and days I can't get there (like today) I workout in my basement. Got to find that balance....family first

Just going to hazard a guess, but you're probably struggling with your lifts because you're not eating enough. 147 lbs at 6 ft sounds like you'd be wafer thin. I'm 140 and I'm 6in shorter than you. How many calories are you taking in?

That was my thought as well. I'm 5' 5" and weigh as much as him.

danthefan

Have been going with starting strength since the start of the month. Hit 57kg with my squats today and have to say I found it really tough. Have just been adding 2.5kg every time, hope I don't hit a wall already.

On the other hand my deadlift was 77kg and I felt like I certainly could have lifted more. Will keep going with the steady increases though.

What sort of stretches do you guys do before lifting?

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Just wanted to thank FitGAF. I'm 31 now with a wife and a 6 month old and my days of working out for PRs / muscles / aesthetics are over. Fitness, to me, now means staying in shape so I can be around for my family as long as possible. If the other things still come, that's okay too.

I had taken a little break from lifting after my daughter was born, but still lurking in here every once in a while. Seeing the Darths, Brolics, Cooters, Sphinxs, FallingEdges, Seans, Szus (apologies if I left anyone out, you're all incredible) doing it day in day out - real people - gets me motivated as fuck. I've worked out 9 times in the last 2 weeks, am exhausted all over, and it feels amazing.

Thanks.

Anyone who has that avatar is A-OK with me! This place is legit and the people you mentioned motivate me also. Keep at it and don't write PRs off just yet. The first 1.5 years is tough but eventually things fall into place. This comes from a father of three
ranging from 4 to 12. Hang in there.

_____

New PR for deadlifts. 525 lbs. Tried for 545 lbs afterwards and couldn't get it above the shins. Next time baybee!
How'd I miss this? Fucking grown ass man you are!

Dinjooh

I was 140lbs a month ago, so calories aren't an issue.

This was friday, last time I lifted:

Ea5WDzN.png

Ive been keeping at it, though i still struggle to get into the gym at 3 times a week instead of 2. Ive been starting to put together clips of my lifts for a form check. Ill probably share them here once i have all the ones i want.

Have been going with starting strength since the start of the month. Hit 57kg with my squats today and have to say I found it really tough. Have just been adding 2.5kg every time, hope I don't hit a wall already.
It will be OK, don't push yourself so much that you miss having good form. First thing, it can cause injury, second thing you won't train the muscles that need to get stronger. It is OK to miss a rep a time or two if your form is good. Don't get into a mindset that because the program involves adding weight each session that you'll be falling behind if you have trouble. Do good reps, make sure you have enough protein. The gains will happen.

Sad day fitness bros, fitness legend Greg Plitt just died today. Was struck by a train while filming. Can't believe it, he and Rob Riches were the ones who got me into fitness. RIP

what a shitty way to go. I feel bad that as soon as I head he died I assumed it was substance related

New PR for deadlifts. 525 lbs. Tried for 545 lbs afterwards and couldn't get it above the shins. Next time baybee!

BEAST

Ive been keeping at it, though i still struggle to get into the gym at 3 times a week instead of 2. Ive been starting to put together clips of my lifts for a form check. Ill probably share them here once i have all the ones i want.

Smart thing to do

Question for those who do HiiT.

I've been reading up on it and watching videos for the past hour, and many suggest going hard for 15 seconds, then resting for a minute. Others suggest going hard for 30 seconds and resting for 30, then others say going hard for 30 seconds, resting for 10.

Is there a different benefit to each? Any info would be appreciated, thanks.

BumRush

Question for those who do HiiT.

I've been reading up on it and watching videos for the past hour, and many suggest going hard for 15 seconds, then resting for a minute. Others suggest going hard for 30 seconds and resting for 30, then others say going hard for 30 seconds, resting for 10.

Is there a different benefit to each? Any info would be appreciated, thanks.

I can't speak for the health differences but I personally do 30 / 30. 15 / 60 and 30 / 10 both seem too far in either direction. My 15 minute 30 / 30 really gets the juices flowing; it's highly recommended and probably the biggest reason I got in as good of shape as i did.

I can't speak for the health differences but I personally do 30 / 30. 15 / 60 and 30 / 10 both seem too far in either direction. My 15 minute 30 / 30 really gets the juices flowing; it's highly recommended and probably the biggest reason I got in as good of shape as i did.

Good grief. I just got into HIIT myself and am doing 30/30, and I feel like I'm going to die after the 8 minutes that I'm starting at. Thinking about 15 just makes me want to throw up, lol.

Guess I'll go up to 9 minutes next week.

I do 12 mins of 20 secs all out, 10 secs rest (with appropriate warmup / cooldown), which was the setup used for Tabata's experiments. The only workout I've ever done that actually fills me full of dread. It's a whole other world of agony if you're really giving everything you've got.

I started off doing 30/30, then 20/20, which felt bad enough at the time, but with only 10 secs you never really get any sort of meaningful chance to recover which leaves you all but hanging off the bike at the end. Of course, it helps to be doing it on a bike that can measure your power ouput, because sometimes what you perceive as giving your all is actually somewhat less than what you've got to give (I hate it when that happens).

Edit - Oh, and don't lift after doing this. You wont be able to come anywhere close to what you're capable of. :D It's strictly an after lifting exercise.

BumRush

Good grief. I just got into HIIT myself and am doing 30/30, and I feel like I'm going to die after the 8 minutes that I'm starting at. Thinking about 15 just makes me want to throw up, lol.

Guess I'll go up to 9 minutes next week.

I didn't start there. I started by doing 1,000 miles of steady state cardio in one year a few years ago, coupled with a lot of high intensity lifting (super-sets, drop-sets etc.). After that, I started mixing in HIIT but I was already in great cardiovascular shape.

ILoveBish

Body hurts so bad. Need more recovery. Didn't get good sleep Friday but good last night. Still, Monday is 1s week and I'm pumped. Going to destroy.

danthefan

It will be OK, don't push yourself so much that you miss having good form. First thing, it can cause injury, second thing you won't train the muscles that need to get stronger. It is OK to miss a rep a time or two if your form is good. Don't get into a mindset that because the program involves adding weight each session that you'll be falling behind if you have trouble. Do good reps, make sure you have enough protein. The gains will happen.

You mention protein. I haven't been taking any supplements and to be honest I didn't really want to, but are they important? Should I get some whey or something like that?

I guess i'll give 30/30 a try.

Don't know if i'll be able to last out a whole 15 minutes without seriously compromising the intensity near the end, but i'll give it a go.

Thanks!

BumRush

You mention protein. I haven't been taking any supplements and to be honest I didn't really want to, but are they important? Should I get some whey or something like that?

Absolutely. There's nothing wrong with having 100% whey after a workout, as a starter. It will aid in recovery and help muscles grow. It's practically essential unless you're drinking a gallon of milk and / or eating a dozen eggs a day.

Optimum Nutrition (ON) and EAS have relatively cheap whey proteins at amazon, bodybuilding.com, nutraplanet.com, etc.

BumRush

I guess i'll give 30/30 a try.

Don't know if i'll be able to last out a whole 15 minutes without seriously compromising the intensity near the end, but i'll give it a go.

Thanks!

Start with 8-10 min. Try adding some supersets and drop-sets to your non-compound lifts, as well. In some ways, that's even better cardio than HIIT.

iddqd

Wait, are you guys going 12min/15min tabata without a pause?

I had been doing 30sec work, 10sec off, that times 8.
After those 8, around a minute break. And then twice more.

I thought that its alright hard and that next month I would try going for 4 sets.

SeanR1221

I was 140lbs a month ago, so calories aren't an issue.

This was friday, last time I lifted:

Ea5WDzN.png

You might actually need more than that. Everyone is different.

It could also be a form issue. You shouldn't be stalling this early. I'd say post your lifts here and we'll take a look.

Sadetar

Sounds good. :D We will be waiting for them.

Well done!

I am always so amazed what kind of numbers you lads are talking about. You are starting to be quite a big boy. :p

Hahah, oh my gods.

Chocobro

What sort of stretches do you guys do before lifting?

Mostly dynamic stretches. Here's a spreadsheet of what I do. The Evernote link in the OP has a mobility/stretching section if you want to take a look at that; stretches from my spreadsheet are chosen from a lot of those YouTube video links.

EDIT: Feel free to PM me questions about stretching and mobility. It's not really talked about in this thread; the short section in the OP kinda reflects that haha /joke.

You're capable of going flat out for 30 secs x 8 with only 10 seconds rest betweem each... and then repeating it twice more after a break of only a minute? Holy shit. I would literally be dead. Doing 20/10 I've had my heart rate hit, and stay at 189, which is supposedly about 3bpm above my calculated max.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Uni Gym is closed due to MLK day so I have to make due with my home equipment. Working out alone sucks.

BumRush

Wait, are you guys going 12min/15min tabata without a pause?

I thought that its alright hard and that next month I would try going for 4 sets.

I was doing 15 minutes of 30 seconds @ 10.0 MPH (sprint) followed by 30 seconds @ 6.0 MPH (normal jog) at the end of each workout.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
I think something is physically wrong with me but can't tell. I was getting stagnant on lifts while cutting and decided to bulk. Five plus pounds gained later and I've had to try at 10% reset on squats and just failed on my second set progressing five pounds from the reset amount (frustrating). It's to the point where I think that I'm ill. Nothing to do but see a doctor I suppose. My only ray of hope is that I popped some scar tissue in my calf tonight, I felt pain there for the first time since squatting again post-injury.

Zukuu

Banned
After I overcame my bench plateau by replacing incline bench with dual press machine, I now want to tackle my curl plateau. Been doing 22kg ~50lbs for what it seems like forever. Problem is, the next available dumb bells are 24kg...
I don't really see many variances to hit the biceps, so I dunno what I could change.

SZ preacher curls hurt my wrists and using the SZ bar in general is very uncomfortable, so I stick to dumb bell curls and the preacher curl machine.

What's a good, new exercise to shock them a bit?

Internets

Hello GAF, quick and maybe silly question. When I do pushups, one of my hands is slightly (maybe an inch) ahead of the other, is anything wrong with that? In other words, when I place both hands on the ground, my right hand is perhaps just a slightly bit higher up than my left, instead of both hands being symmetrical. Same thing with my legs when I do squats. My right leg is slightly higher ahead than my left. If I try to balance/even out my hands or legs, it feels weird.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Anyone have experience lifting twice a week?

I want to increase my cardio/conditioning/endurance, and I don't think it'll serve me well to lift heavy four times a week like I'm doing now. I'm on 5/3/1, and I know Wendler has a cool two-day program, but are there any others I should consider?

And what are good endurance workouts to intersperse throughout my week? Any proven programs out there that I can combine with strength training?

Will this even work?

ILoveBish

Anyone have experience lifting twice a week?

I want to increase my cardio/conditioning/endurance, and I don't think it'll serve me well to lift heavy four times a week like I'm doing now. I'm on 5/3/1, and I know Wendler has a cool two-day program, but are there any others I should consider?

And what are good endurance workouts to intersperse throughout my week? Any proven programs out there that I can combine with strength training?

Will this even work?

You can do the 5/3/1 as a 2-day as you already know. Personally i find it difficult to mix the 2, i just stick to lifting. All the HIIT talk past few days is getting me itchy but i know i'd suffer greatly on my lifts doing it.

Start with 8-10 min. Try adding some supersets and drop-sets to your non-compound lifts, as well. In some ways, that's even better cardio than HIIT.

I did a few minutes tonight just test it out and there's no way I could last 15 minutes, probably not even 10. So I'll just start with what I can do and slowly work my way up.

Thanks for the tips.

Szu

Just wanted to thank FitGAF. I'm 31 now with a wife and a 6 month old and my days of working out for PRs / muscles / aesthetics are over. Fitness, to me, now means staying in shape so I can be around for my family as long as possible. If the other things still come, that's okay too.

I had taken a little break from lifting after my daughter was born, but still lurking in here every once in a while. Seeing the Darths, Brolics, Cooters, Sphinxs, FallingEdges, Seans, Szus (apologies if I left anyone out, you're all incredible) doing it day in day out - real people - gets me motivated as fuck. I've worked out 9 times in the last 2 weeks, am exhausted all over, and it feels amazing.

Thanks.

Crying-meme.png

You're welcome. As a first time father with an awesome 9-month old son, I'm in a similar situation. I just plan to me as fit as I can so that I can be around my family as long as I can.

I also want to set a good example for my child.

That being said, I plan to record his ATG squats whenever he hits a new PR.

Zukuu

Banned
what do you guys do for a back workout? i want to focus on it while my wrist heals (i cant do pressing movements at the moment)
Upper back: Wide-grip pull downs to chest, Wide-grip pull downs to neck, 'Free-weight' pull back machine
Lower back: Weighted hyper extensions
Traps: Upright rows @ cable machine

+secondary involvement in some other exercises (e.g. rear delts)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom