• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

sphinx

the piano man
What is your goal? You're super lean and if that's your goal, you're doing really well. If you want to bulk up then we got some work to do!!

this is what I was wondering the whole time,

if the goal is to remain lean and cut, it's done already, maintain forever now.

if goal is to put on muscle.... let's just keep it short and say it will take a while to achieve that.

Heysoos

I've been stuck at 198 for the past two months, so I figured I'd take a closer look at my diet. I've never really used calorie calculators too in depth before, so I have a quick question. According to MFP, I should be eating around 2000 calories a day to lose 2 lbs a week. My fitness level is set to active, since I'm currently doing 5/3/1 on a 4day a week basis. Currently my weight is at 198 and I'm 5'10. With all that in mind, do these amount of calories seem correct?

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
No, and I told you this in the other thread too.

Months don't make results. Years do.
Unless of course you have top of the line genetics in which case a body like Henry Cavill in Man of Steel should be achievable in just shy of 8 weeks 100% drug free.

ny_illmatic

Neo Member
I'm currently lean bulking properly for the first time and trying to gain as little fat as possible. I'm eating pretty well food wise when it comes to eating 'clean', but will add the occasional donut or pop tart here and there. Does sugar intake matter much while bulking? Seems like I'm getting a little too much..anywhere between 80-100 grams for the most part. The donut or pop tart takes up about 10 to 15 grams, but the rest I believe comes from fruits/organic jam, peanut butter, kashi cereal and granola. Just wondering if it matters much on a lean bulk.

BumRush

I've been stuck at 198 for the past two months, so I figured I'd take a closer look at my diet. I've never really used calorie calculators too in depth before, so I have a quick question. According to MFP, I should be eating around 2000 calories a day to lose 2 lbs a week. My fitness level is set to active, since I'm currently doing 5/3/1 on a 4day a week basis. Currently my weight is at 198 and I'm 5'10. With all that in mind, do these amount of calories seem correct?

2,000 a day to lose 2 lbs doesn't sound outrageous, but if you're only doing 5/3/1 4 days a week with no cardio you probably won't truly be "active".

Heysoos

2,000 a day to lose 2 lbs doesn't sound outrageous, but if you're only doing 5/3/1 4 days a week with no cardio you probably won't truly be "active".

Would lightly active be a closer approximation then? That drops it down to 1660.

By the way, when I do 5/3/1 I also do the "Boring but big" thing, if that makes any difference.

BumRush

Would lightly active be a closer approximation then? That drops it down to 1660.

By the way, when I do 5/3/1 I also do the "Boring but big" thing, if that makes any difference.

See how different the two are? A difference of 300+ calories a day.

I'd err on the side of 1,600 for a month or so. If you're losing too much, or losing a ton of muscle as well, increase a bit.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

I'd set it to inactive/sedentary for a baseline and adjust from there. Activity calculators are woefully inaccurate.

Unless of course you have top of the line genetics in which case a body like Henry Cavill in Man of Steel should be achievable in just shy of 8 weeks 100% drug free.

Lol.

Szu

Is there an exchange program where I can trade in my genetics for this top of the line brand?

You know, kinda like upgrading my phone.

Cooter

Is there an exchange program where I can trade in my genetics for this top of the line brand?

You know, kinda like upgrading my phone.
The future is coming my friend. May be too late for you but your kid should be able to look like whoever he wants when he hits his mid twenties. These genetics are something to behold. I lucked out and was born with them. The other week I increased my curls from 12 reps to 15 and my arms grew an inch and a half. Science!

The best thing to do is set a baseline like brolic said and go from there. It's wildly different depending on actual energy used at gym, amount of muscle you have, your age and of course, genetics lol.

Count everything for a week or two, count every single calorie that goes into your mouth. That's your maintenance as long as you aren't gaining or losing weight right now. Maintenance varies so much from person to person. Once you know what your maintenance is, you can figure out what percent you need to cut from your diet to meet your goals. Do NOT trust online calculators where you put in your age/weight/height and activity level and it tells you your maintenance calories. It isn't that simple and the results are often WAY off.

Yea what everybody says

Do heavy compounds 3xs a week and add weight every session until you can't

EAT LIKE GOKU

Sleep a minimum of 7 hrs a day

Don't worry about appearance for now. You may not look like Cooter or FallingEdge any time soon but regular people will notice those noob gains trust me.

schmalz

Hey everyone, amazing thread here. I'm starting to go to the gym regularly, so I've finally opened one of these up. I have no gym experience at all so I'm starting fresh here.

I'm not interested in bulking up, but I am interested in building muscle and overall strength. I'm aware of the basic workout routines that could help me get there, the OP has some good suggestions.

My main problem is that I'll be working out solo, so I don't want to use free weights for stuff like Squats. I'd like to come up with a routine that I can do solo via dumbbells and machines. Are there any good links for coming up with a routine with that restriction?

Thanks for any help.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick

My main problem is that I'll be working out solo, so I don't want to use free weights for stuff like Squats. I'd like to come up with a routine that I can do solo via dumbbells and machines. Are there any good links for coming up with a routine with that restriction?

Thanks for any help.

Not the answer you're looking for but you don't need a gym partner. You can build muscle and get stronger without going to failure all the time and needing a spotter.

Not the answer you're looking for but you don't need a gym partner. You can build muscle and get stronger without going to failure all the time and needing a spotter.

To append on this the only time I need a spotter is on bench. The rest of the days its setting up a phone or something to watch form.

edit: I almost always work out alone.

Wolfe

170 at 6'2''?

That doesn't sound like a good goal.

If you're looking to start lifting and adding muscle I would dial down on the cardio for a bit. Start lifting weights and optimize your diet. Focus on compound movements like bench, squat, and deadlifts. Once you get acclimated to lifting and figure out how your body responds to food then you can start tweaking things. I'd say if you're 185 at 6'2'' you're already pretty lean. I'd like to say I'm lean right now and I'm about 5'9'' and probably the same weight lol.

Best thing to do. Stop over thinking things. Just keep it simple. Lift, eat, repeat.

Naw this is totally true, hell I'm between 180-185 at 6'2'' and I'm still slim as hell, granted I started out 30+ lbs lighter but still. Hell being able to start lifting at 185 lbs sounds great lol, imo 170 is far too light for that height.

sphinx

the piano man
I'm currently lean bulking properly for the first time and trying to gain as little fat as possible. I'm eating pretty well food wise when it comes to eating 'clean', but will add the occasional donut or pop tart here and there. Does sugar intake matter much while bulking? Seems like I'm getting a little too much..anywhere between 80-100 grams for the most part. The donut or pop tart takes up about 10 to 15 grams, but the rest I believe comes from fruits/organic jam, peanut butter, kashi cereal and granola. Just wondering if it matters much on a lean bulk.

Clean Bulking is the Santa Claus of the fitness world.

you believe in it a couple of years, you really put faith in it because you believe in the rewards that it brings but then it's like "...wait, I have to eat just how many pounds of plain chicken and rice to reach my macros???"...

over time you start to figure out that it doesn't make sense and finally come to the conclusion that it was a nice lie, very much like Santa.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
I never use a spotter. If you're scared during bench, use the power cage. I've failed on every lift and made it through OK.

This response, and the guy benching in the power cage during busy hours makes me want to build my own gym. The power cage is the only place I can do squats without standing on a platform, because I'm not 6'5" and get depth. Too bad I don't have much of a home.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VLRVSC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Use that link for your home workout bench press power cage. I would if I had the space. One day...

ILoveBish

This response, and the guy benching in the power cage during busy hours makes me want to build my own gym. The power cage is the only place I can do squats without standing on a platform, because I'm not 6'5" and get depth. Too bad I don't have much of a home.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VLRVSC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Use that link for your home workout bench press power cage. I would if I had the space. One day...

I've never had a problem with failed bench attempts, I do them on the standard bench, but if fear is holding you back on your lifts, gotta do what you gotta do. And of course, home gym with cage is the best by a mile.

Kickz

Guys whats the general thinking on working out when sore? I am doing right now 3 days of kickboxing classes Sundays, Tuesdays and Thursdays. Its been about a week of this and I feel general soreness still. No real pain, just a reminder that I worked out hard recently.

Cooter

you believe in it a couple of years, you really put faith in it because you believe in the rewards that it brings but then it's like "...wait, I have to eat just how many pounds of plain chicken and rice to reach my macros???"...

over time you start to figure out that it doesn't make sense and finally come to the conclusion that it was a nice lie, very much like Santa.

So true. Haha.

Then doing 500 crunches a day to get a six pack is the Easter Bunny.

BumRush

Hey everyone, amazing thread here. I'm starting to go to the gym regularly, so I've finally opened one of these up. I have no gym experience at all so I'm starting fresh here.

I'm not interested in bulking up, but I am interested in building muscle and overall strength. I'm aware of the basic workout routines that could help me get there, the OP has some good suggestions.

Thanks for any help.

You'll get a ton of similar responses in this thread, but to reiterate, you don't need a spotter or partner. If anything, grab a random to spot you on the bench and do the same for them. Start out light, with the bar only, and never go above your means. You can certainly supplement with machines / DBs but those core compound lifts can't be beat.

Guys whats the general thinking on working out when sore? I am doing right now 3 days of kickboxing classes Sundays, Tuesdays and Thursdays. Its been about a week of this and I feel general soreness still. No real pain, just a reminder that I worked out hard recently.

You can do it, but you'll suck a bit more. Unless you're actually in real pain you wont do yourself any damage.

Light exercise actually helps with certain muscle soreness. Google active recovery.

ny_illmatic

Neo Member

Oh, I don't eat completely strict like chicken and rice all day, haha. Like I said I throw in some junk here and there. No way I can be that strict on a bulk. So I'm guessing I'm good with the sugar intake then?

BumRush

6IczOl9.jpg

Tank game is through the fucking roof right now.

Ab game, bulk game, etc. are not. BumRush's got some work to do...

Cooter

At least you have a tank game. My shoulder cuts are non existent. Oh the sacrifices for a few pounds on muscle. Looking good brother.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Hmm. I typically do them for lower work but those look like a nice change up. Thanks. Glad you're back btw. This place is much better with you around.

Thanks bud, do them like that and they will fry your ass, hams and tax your upper back. They are definitely harder, and that's why I like them. Had the leg shakes bad today. I still like GMs for ass and low back. Wanting to incorporate hyperextension deadlifts soon too.

Bowser

Anyone tried different flavors of Optimum Nutrition whey protein? I'm almost done with the double rich chocolate flavor and was wondering if there are any other recommended flavors.

Double Rich Chocolate and Mocha Cappuccino are my go-tos. I've also tried Mint Chocolate Chip which isn't bad if you're using milk. I like the first two because I mix my protein with just water though and they're the two best-tasting with just water.

Extreme Milk Chocolate is gross IMO. It's like a sweeter, more artificial tasting version of Double Rich Chocolate.

sphinx

the piano man

I've been meaning to ask everyone here what are your favorite workout shirts (as in, everybody please post a pic wearing your favorite shirt or tank)

I keep talking about my zelda one but I don't know what you guys wear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom