• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.
And here I am, happy I can finally press 135 ;_;

One day we will get there! My next goal is 225 for OHP. Just gotta take it day by day and week by week.

I really wished I took pictures/saved numbers from when I graduated college to compare where I am now. I think it would've helped me realize the progress I've made. I'm never happy with myself or my numbers.

Is there anyone else here that used to be much, much stronger than they are now? I'm wondering if I'm the sole guy here that's past his peak. :(

Injuries aside of course.

Szu

Is there anyone else here that used to be much, much stronger than they are now? I'm wondering if I'm the sole guy here that's past his peak. :(

Well, I wouldn't say that I was much stronger, but I had a higher bench press than I do now. However, I'm pretty sure that my injuries factor into my bench.

I wasn't a big fan of squat or OHP, so it's hard to compare to my current numbers. I get the feeling that I would have been stronger.

Szu

And here I am, happy I can finally press 135 ;_;

Just be happy to have Brolic as an inspiration. There's no reason to be jealous of any of his lifts.

You should be jealous of the amount of pizza, cake, and beefaroni hamburgers that he consumes on a regular basis.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

Faster, yes. Stronger? No. But my days of being a runner are over.

Just be happy to have Brolic as an inspiration. There's no reason to be jealous of any of his lifts.

You should be jealous of the amount of pizza, cake, and beefaroni hamburgers that he consumes on a regular basis.

Pretty much. No aesthetics focus here at all. And love it that way. And yeah, don't compare yourself to others, do you. Anyone who throws what they can do in your face is an asshole.

Lol i know that feel....Brolic showing Fit-Gaf how to really press

Everyone has shit they are good at. OHP is mine.

Yeah, I'm still amazed by the fact that he can press almost anybody on GAF over his head. If I ever meet him, I actually kinda expect it.

Hell, he can even drop me ala Ultimate Warrior style and this would be my reaction.

34bde2c7eac4b12fec8ebfad5b806f0f5c12f2f7493fd40ca2e01f5d6c84901e.jpg

Lol

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Seems we've gone in opposite directions. Not that I was ever even vaguely close to being as strong as you are. :D

If you're army infantry especially if you're an NCO you damn sure better have super human cardio and a fast 1-2 mile run time. I regularly did 5,8 and 10 mile runs.

Fuck that shit though. Pass me some cake.

Tater Tot

"My God... it's full of Starch!"
Lower body today. Typically I start with squats and then move on to deadlifts. However, today all the squat racks were being used so I started with deadlifts today. Managed to do 365x6 then 325 x 10. I usually move up 10 lbs on the dead when I am able to do my work weight 8 reps and then drop 10% and get 10 reps. Anyways, after deadlifts I tried to squat and got damn was I freaking tired. I did nowhere near my work weight in squats today. Usually when I squat first and deadlift second, I do not really see any drop in strength but by reversing the order I was completely exhausted for squats.

SeanR1221

I asked for ground beef and my wife got ground turkey :/

Oh well. 18 ounces still mixed well with 3 cups of rice split into a couple meals

Has anyone ever pulled a rib cage muscle from a workout? I've been careful in doing my exercises, but got this sharp pain in the right ribs somewhere below the chest (well, In my case I also have been coughing from sinus/chest congestion). Dr's say I should not do any exercising or anything that will basically move the ribs (which is EVERYTHING) until it fully heals. It hurts to get up from bed, getting into bed, turning when driving. I took anti-inflammatory meds before which didn't help and now I'm using a prescribed gel. Nothing seems to help.

The Dr can't tell if it's fractured or pulled rib muscle. What can I do to tell the difference and is there anything I can do that'll relieve my pain and/or help recover sooner? It's been almost 3 weeks of NO gymming and it's ruining my progression. I've been maintaining my good diet and started taking multivitamins more frequent.

Szu

I asked for ground beef and my wife got ground turkey :/

Oh well. 18 ounces still mixed well with 3 cups of rice split into a couple meals

You need to stand ground. Tell her to go back into the kitchen and make you a ground beef sandwich.

Then, after she's done laughing at you. Sit and eat your turkey.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
As in I think I'm somewhere between a mesomorph and ectomorph.
Body types aren't exactly scientific fact. Some will put on muscle/gain strength more quickly than others but there is plenty of room to progress if you are patient and consistent.

You guys and your food. I'd love to be on a forever powerlifter diet.

Today I had nothing but coffee, apples, oatmeal, and chicken. (I'm having veggies now don't worry.)

Guys like Brolic and Edge didn't really have big frames when they started.

Hate to nitpick... but you don't really change your "frame" size, well, unless you're lifting when you're a kid. You can get relatively big on a small frame, but there's no changing it.

I say that with some annoyance as someone with sub six inch wrists. :(

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Guys like Brolic and Edge didn't really have big frames when they started.

It's gonna take time. Lift heavy. Eat a lot.

What's your current diet and lifting program look like.

Hate to nitpick... but you don't really change your "frame" size, well, unless you're lifting when you're a kid. You can get relatively big on a small frame, but there's no changing it.

I say that with some annoyance as someone with sub six inch wrists. :(

I actually have a very stocky frame and a barrel chest. The pics you see of me thin as hell are because I forced myself that way while in the army for obvious reasons. Look at my wrists and forearms in those pics. You can see that "small" isn't my normal body type.

You guys and your food. I'd love to be on a forever powerlifter diet.

Today I had nothing but coffee, apples, oatmeal, and chicken. (I'm having veggies now don't worry.)

Basically strength sport diet. Strongmen eat unrestricted a lot too. That said, eating like shit stil but having added extra days to train (event days) through the week actually has me leaning out a bit.

I think my conversion is going wrong. 170g of protein per meal, or across four meals, so like, 40ish a meal?

I've hit just over 110g of protein from chicken breasts today.

Easy to not be bothered about chicken when you don't let silly things like pleasure get in the way. Gimme all dat chicken.

I enjoy it. Can do so many things to it if you're a reasonably good cook. Spices are your friend.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Could I get a form check on my bent over rows? I apologize in advance for the shitty lighting and camera placement. I couldn't do the workout inside without threatening to break the tiles in my room and I didn't have time to work out earlier in the day.

Link

I've been trying to follow Alan Thrall's videos about keep my back as flat as possible but I don't always feel like I'm doing it right. I also feel a lot of tightness in my quads and hamstrings which I guess are coming from trying to keep my body in the bent-over form. I do have mild APT (anterior pelvic tilt) which could be part of the problem. Also, should my stomach be touching my quads?

F chicken. Only way I'll have it now is if I can cover it in sweet potatoes.
lol that's how I usually have it. Chicken smothered in hot sauce with a side of baked sweet potato fries.

But yeah.... I need a ton of it so it does get old sometimes. I'll switch to beef for a while when that happens.

Banglish

Hey man, how soon do you hope to accomplish that goal? 20 lbs of weight gain on your frame will not be easy or quick. As always, focus on compound lifts and NOT on cardio (which you seem to be doing). Use the calorie website in the OP to determine your caloric intake (and macros) and what you need to consume in order to gain what you want to gain. For at least a month, track what goes into your body, to determine if your baseline #s are accurate.

Have a multi-vitamin and an OMEGA-3 pill if you want but don't go nuts. I have those two and a super-b complex every day, but they aren't necessary.

You mention veggies but not protein and fat. You're trying to put on size, no? Your diet will need a lot more than extra veggies. Drink a ton of whole milk, eat a ton of eggs, have a lot of cheat meals (basically, eat whatever the fuck you want). In a month or two, check in! Good luck!

Ah yes, should have mentioned that is my long term goal. I'm breaking it down by 5 pound increments, so 125 is the short term goal. Yep, I'm down with the compound!

I'd be down to eat a bunch of cheat meals but I'd feel like shit if I did. I'm thinking twice per week max, but I'll make sure to get those good fats from fish, avacado, and nuts and such.I will defientely be increasing proteins as well. Thanks for the help!!

Tour of Sufferlandria - Day Six Complete

Oh dear... to get through that I had to give literally everything I had to give. I feel totally and utterly fucked. If I don't get a full night's sleep tonight there's no way in hell I'm going to be able to do tomorrow's ride.

Couldn't get my heart rate up into the 170s, when at the start of the week I could sustain 170+ for long periods.

Local Hero
http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/1577245-sufferfest-local-hero

A mixed bag of a stage, riders will be faced with criterium racing, time trials, flats and short climbs. And a brief stay in a Thai prison. Heavy legs are no reason not to pursue as much GLORY as possible. You might not win the ToS today, but you could lose it if you’re not up for the terribly unnecessary sprints that finish today’s stage.

Three days to go. There's a picture of me up on facebook from today's ride. I look like I was mugged and left for dead... this can only get worse from this point onwards.

TTOOLL

Ok Ok! Reporting in after some days of absence! I skipped gym today as I was completely exhausted and had some appointments. Anyways, fitgaf, next week I start working (gonna miss my vacation) and there's no way I can go to gym 5 days a week. I'll have some gym time (60 minutes) on Mon, Wed, Fri and Sat, but Sat is not guaranteed.

What should I do to optimize my time and weight gains? Bench, Squat and Deadlift only? Plus abs, of course. What about pull ups and dips?

Again, thank you, you guys have no idea how much you helped and motivated me this month....

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Damn Falling, how many years have you been lifting?

BumRush

Ah yes, should have mentioned that is my long term goal. I'm breaking it down by 5 pound increments, so 125 is the short term goal. Yep, I'm down with the compound!

I'd be down to eat a bunch of cheat meals but I'd feel like shit if I did. I'm thinking twice per week max, but I'll make sure to get those good fats from fish, avacado, and nuts and such.I will defientely be increasing proteins as well. Thanks for the help!!

No problem man. Just remember it doesn't come easy or quick. 5 pounds is a great short term goal but give yourself 4-5 months minimum to obtain it...you're a skinny dude.

Sadetar

Sadetar, do not say "if". Your before and after pics are astonishing. Just keep pushing, you'll get wherever you need to get.
I apology for the choice of words. The last couple months have just been quite... challenging.

I don't cope very well with pain and for over a month, actually nearly two, I have been waking up for pain basicly every night. I try to sleep for 12-14 hours when I can, but I am still all the time tired. This is frustrating, since before I have been able to sleep 10+ hours without waking up in between. Yet I still rather take the pain than numb myself with pain killers. I ate them 8 months straight every day and they did me no good. Now when I don't take them at least I feel when I am in a bad position so I don't make it worse.

I should get my thyroxine levels checked as well, since I don't know is the tiredness due to lack of proper sleep or lack of thyroxine. I have been meaning to check my diet too, since the calorie intake I had previously isn't doing anything at the moment. It can just be too much calories for my current weight or a bit lower metabolism due to hypothyroidism... or both. So frustrating.

Also I need to read 5000+ pages and write 100-120 pages of academic text this spring which is stressing me since that means numerous hours of being still and that will make my back even worse. And well, I am not really that fond of the whole writing thing in general. I am bad at making myself time tables for these kind of things. I and my diet function better with a full time job and proper daily schedules, but this is just something that simply needs to be done.

Normally I am (even annoyingly) optimistic and happy about everything, but this spring is going to be a though one. But yes, you are right. I will get there. It might just take a bit longer time than I would like. Sorry for being a whiney bitch and thank you for being so reassuring. (No hidden sarcasm, I truly mean it)

I like the shirts from massthetics. I'm thinking about getting

my-biggest-muscle_design.png
That will easily get you lady friends.

Yeah, I'm still amazed by the fact that he can press almost anybody on GAF over his head. If I ever meet him, I actually kinda expect it.

Hell, he can even drop me ala Ultimate Warrior style and this would be my reaction.

34bde2c7eac4b12fec8ebfad5b806f0f5c12f2f7493fd40ca2e01f5d6c84901e.jpg
Hahahah, I am equally impressed by your way of thinking... even though I am kinda with you there. :p

this is me before I even hit the gym

we've come a long way, friends
This seems to never get old - I am always so damn impressed by this. :D

Error 404

Neo Member
Hi everyone!

I have a question regarding leg workouts. What are some minimal intensity leg workouts? The reason I ask this is because I have a bad knee. Over a decade ago, I slipped on ice at such an odd angle, that my knee plate got dislocated and pushed back in. Ever since then, I have a fear of doing anything with my legs that might cause such a thing to happen again. It has happened multiple times even when I'm doing things like sprinting, and it is horribly painful.

Right now, the only leg work I do is squats, stretches, and ellipticals. Can anyone recommend me anything else? I would greatly appreciate any input on this matter.

Sadetar

Cooter, attaboy. I like you big. ;)

Hi everyone!

I have a question regarding leg workouts. What are some minimal intensity leg workouts? The reason I ask this is because I have a bad knee. Over a decade ago, I slipped on ice at such an odd angle, that my knee plate got dislocated and pushed back in. Ever since then, I have a fear of doing anything with my legs that might cause such a thing to happen again. It has happened multiple times even when I'm doing things like sprinting, and it is horribly painful.

Right now, the only leg work I do is squats, stretches, and ellipticals. Can anyone recommend me anything else? I would greatly appreciate any input on this matter.
Hey sweetie and good to see you here as well.

You can do squats? That is a really good thing to begin with and I wouldn't call those minimal intensity workouts (I am at least totally dead after doing them). :p Have you tried walking lunges or is that too bad on the knee? How about deadlifts or Romanian deadlifts?

Error 404

Neo Member
Cooter, attaboy. I like you big. ;)

Hey sweetie and good to see you here as well.

You can do squats? That is a really good thing to begin with and I wouldn't call those minimal intensity workouts (I am at least totally dead after doing them). :p Have you tried walking lunges or is that too bad on the knee? How about deadlifts or Romanian deadlifts?

Hi, good to see you again as well! Thanks for your suggestions but I think you're thinking of a different squat than I am. Most of the time, I do squats without weights or just a few pound dumbbells, so it's not too intense. I don't really want to get too much muscle and just have lean legs which are still somewhat strong. I've done walking lunges before, but I have this inner fear that I'll land on my legs wrong, or that I will slip. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom