• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoe

Hi, good to see you again as well! Thanks for your suggestions but I think you're thinking of a different squat than I am. Most of the time, I do squats without weights or just a few pound dumbbells, so it's to too intense. I don't really want to get too much muscle and just have lean legs which are still somewhat strong. I've done walking lunges before, but I have this inner fear that I'll land on my legs wrong, or that I will slip. :(

I know you're worried about it, but the best thing you can do for a bad knee is build up the muscles for more support. Bf has a bad ACL, yet it's never been better ever since we started running.

Error 404

Neo Member
I know you're worried about it, but the best thing you can do for a bad knee is build up the muscles for more support. Bf has a bad ACL, yet it's never been better ever since we started running.

I can jog fine but when I increase my speed, and if I'm not on a stationary equipment, my knees feel wobbly. The worst part about it is that there is no way to fix the problem I have outside of surgery...

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I see your skinny mofo pic and raise you this skinny mofo pic!

I'm not raising anyone with this but I might call on a dry board against someone like MTP. No way he's ever been this thin.

8-14-102.jpg

Cooper

Hi, good to see you again as well! Thanks for your suggestions but I think you're thinking of a different squat than I am. Most of the time, I do squats without weights or just a few pound dumbbells, so it's not too intense. I don't really want to get too much muscle and just have lean legs which are still somewhat strong. I've done walking lunges before, but I have this inner fear that I'll land on my legs wrong, or that I will slip. :(

Large muscles in general are hard to build, even with heavy loads. You almost certainly won't get big thighs from from light or unweighted squats. You might like this recent blog post by Bret Contreras, where he addresses what it sounds like your concerns are. http://bretcontreras.com/women-squat-dont-want-big-legs/

Sadetar

back when my arms were pretty much the same size as my wife, who is 5 foot and weighs just under 100 pounds

HthqGku.jpg
That is you?!

...I can imagine this is how it would feel like to see my father without his facial hair (I haven't never, I am sure he is born with it).

I honestly wouldn't have recognized you.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
back when my arms were pretty much the same size as my wife, who is 5 foot and weighs just under 100 pounds

HthqGku.jpg

What the fuck.

Probably one of the biggest changes.

I was around 165-170 in this picture in '07.

Though I was actually strong back then. 440-450x10 DL, 240kg/528x2 from 6" deficit, 310-320x8-10 bench, and never wore a belt!

2P98Vlf.jpg

Haha damn straight! Built for power.

You were strong back then! Forever strong.

Sadetar

Hi, good to see you again as well! Thanks for your suggestions but I think you're thinking of a different squat than I am. Most of the time, I do squats without weights or just a few pound dumbbells, so it's not too intense. I don't really want to get too much muscle and just have lean legs which are still somewhat strong. I've done walking lunges before, but I have this inner fear that I'll land on my legs wrong, or that I will slip. :(
Like mentioned earlier, especially girls fear to have too much muscles and it is pretty much pointless. You won't accidentally just get them, it takes hard work, time and dedication so don't let that hold you back.

Also like said in here, your knee will most likely feel better when it has more support around it, so just work it. Continue doing squats and if you can, try to add a bit more weight once in a while and see how does your knee feel about it. I myself work with a herniated disk and bone chips in my knee, so I am not perfectly injure free myself. :p

ohhthegrowth!

P.S. - Your wife is lovely!
She is a total babe! I could kill
(small bugs like mosquetos)
to look like that! I have just to accept I will never be petite.

ohhthegrowth!

P.S. - Your wife is lovely!

Like mentioned earlier, especially girls fear to have too much muscles and it is pretty much pointless. You won't accidentally just get them, it takes hard work, time and dedication so don't let that hold you back.

Also like said in here, your knee will most likely feel better when it has more support around it, so just work it. Continue doing squats and if you can, try to add a bit more weight once in a while and see how does your knee feel about it. I myself work with a herniated disk and bone chips in my knee, so I am not perfectly injure free myself. :p

She is a total babe! I could kill
(small bugs like mosquetos)
to look like that! I have just to accept I will never be petite.

awwww thanks!

yeah I was always the skinny punker kid growing up, always thought working out was for jocks lol

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I know everyone and their mom knows about the BroScience youtube channel, but I can't get over how great that channel is despite its low quality videos.

keezy

Pulled 5 plates deadlifting yesterday. Been a long time since I did that.

315x6 405x6 455x3 495x1

Happy my knees are finally starting to feel better.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
All. I've got my workouts going well, but I need some help with nutrition. Here's the deal, I've been using MyFitnessPal to track calories for a while now, and based on my goal weight loss it gave me like 1550 calories a day, or something. I usually eat just about that and am not hungry, so that's fine, but I also then work out, which adds more to my already solid calorie deficit. I'm wondering if this is part of the reason I've lost some belly fat over the past month, but have only lost 4 pounds total even though I am working out (cardio, kickboxing, yoga) 5 days a week and eating well.

Should I be eating more? Should I eat the equivalent to my 1550 + whatever I burn in a workout, in order to keep my deficit at 1550 total? My issue is, mentally, that I feel I need to cut calories a lot and work out a lot to lose this weight, but I'm not a fat dude, just have a tire, so I'm wondering if I'm not quite eating right to promote the loss.

Here's two sample weekdays for eating for me. Any changes? (Note the sugar yesterday is a bit high, but not normally like that).

TTOOLL

Ok Ok! Reporting in after some days of absence! I skipped gym today as I was completely exhausted and had some appointments. Anyways, fitgaf, next week I start working (gonna miss my vacation) and there's no way I can go to gym 5 days a week. I'll have some gym time (60 minutes) on Mon, Wed, Fri and Sat, but Sat is not guaranteed.

What should I do to optimize my time and weight gains? Bench, Squat and Deadlift only? Plus abs, of course. What about pull ups and dips?

Again, thank you, you guys have no idea how much you helped and motivated me this month....

Anyone? =P

Here ya go

Nice one. Incredible progress.

Should I be eating more? Should I eat the equivalent to my 1550 + whatever I burn in a workout, in order to keep my deficit at 1550 total? My issue is, mentally, that I feel I need to cut calories a lot and work out a lot to lose this weight, but I'm not a fat dude, just have a tire, so I'm wondering if I'm not quite eating right to promote the loss.

I don't use myfitnesspal, so I can't speak on how it works out your calorie requirements, but I personally go with my BMR x 1.2 (sedentary) plus exercise calories to work out what my break even energy is, then cut calories from that to lose weight, or add to increase.

Anyone? =P

So you're basically saying you have at least three days a week in the gym? That pretty much covers you for most of the stuff recommended in the OP.

BumRush

Anyone? =P

Bench, squat, DL, OHP (overhead press). Fuck abs right now man.

On bench day, do 1 or 2 accessory exercises: incline db press and chest fly and dips
On squat day, do 1 or 2 accessory exercises: leg lifts and stiff leg DL
On DL day, do bent over rows and OHP and pull ups

Matugi

Took a double dose of caffeine in my homemade PWO today after abstaining from caffeine for a month to let my tolerance fall. Hoooooooly shit is all I have to day, wasn't ready for that lol. Helped me crush 5x5x295 on deadlifts tho. I just missed 5x275 on bench on Monday but right now I feel stronger than ever.

I couldn't get that fifth on 5x400 on deadlifts today HOWEVER I feel so much stronger now correctly resetting my deadlift and using my new belt. Gain train here I come.

Szu

Took a double dose of caffeine in my homemade PWO today after abstaining from caffeine for a month to let my tolerance fall. Hoooooooly shit is all I have to day, wasn't ready for that lol. Helped me crush 5x5x295 on deadlifts tho. I just missed 5x275 on bench on Monday but right now I feel stronger than ever.

image.jpg

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Thought you guys would enjoy this little gem from the Planet Fitness thread.

I do. All the time.

It's not a complete rep or series if you can't set the weights down respectfully afterwards.

Noise is annoying. Feel free to do it in your garage, but don't do it at a gym with dozens of other people who are trying to concentrate on their training.

GrapeApes

Had one of those 10 for 20 coupons from GNC and got me a box of the Quest chips. BBQ seemed to be be the consensus fav so bought that. Actually enjoyable. At first it was like wtf is this shit but by the end of the bag I found myself fucking with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom