• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoeBear

Was it this list?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0Ag9uT-E4EIL7dFZPZnR0WVZybGtFWnRKNzdKNm9XOVE

According to that (and granted that's a two year old study) Six Star has, if I'm reading and using my calculator in this bumpy car ride correctly, 23g when it claims 30. Not great, but all things considered not terrible either. Certainly better choices but the difference in price may justify it.

I'd also be interested in the metals content studies though, which im having a hard time finding ATM.
Yeah I guess that was what I was thinking of. Either way if protein is too costly just buy pasteurized egg whites. You can drink them plain and you actually know what is going into your body.

ILoveBish

Back on a new session of 531 today and damn, it felt so good. I got 160x5 on overhead press so easy, 5th rep felt like I could throw it through the roof. Went up in weights but still feels really light, want to go heavier, but have to keep myself in check, fat loss is all that matters right now. When it's recomp time, things will start to get really fun.

As far as scale weight goes, I'm up half a pound lol, but this type of fluctuation is normal. I've never been leaner, or felt so good. Still eating 1500-1700 calories a day, still struggling to eat that much.

Back on a new session of 531 today and damn, it felt so good. I got 160x5 on overhead press so easy, 5th rep felt like I could throw it through the roof. Went up in weights but still feels really light, want to go heavier, but have to keep myself in check, fat loss is all that matters right now. When it's recomp time, things will start to get really fun.

As far as scale weight goes, I'm up half a pound lol, but this type of fluctuation is normal. I've never been leaner, or felt so good. Still eating 1500-1700 calories a day, still struggling to eat that much.

I'm doing the exact same thing tomorrow (160x5 OHP on 5/3/1). I hope I feel as good as you on that fifth rep. Thats the one that always kills me.

Rhaxas

Yeah I guess that was what I was thinking of. Either way if protein is too costly just buy pasteurized egg whites. You can drink them plain and you actually know what is going into your body.

Thanks for the input, I'll just stick to what I'm currently using xD

edit: It actually looks like that spreadsheet is for a different product from sixstar. I guess i'll just try it and see how it goes.

BumRush

There are some serious flaws in all of your lifts (especially the bench press and deadlift). I suggest you reread the SS book again and look up Alan Thrall's how to videos on YouTube (which really helped me) and start with the bar.

Here are some specific problems I've noticed:

Squat: not breaking at the hips, you're looking up (dangerous for your cervical spine)
Bench: no lower back arch, no leg drive
Deadlift:squatting the weight instead of driving your hips back, hyperextending lower back
Overall: you seem to be loose on all of your lifts

Great analysis dude...and barry, "loose" is the perfect word. Watch some of the stalwarts here or check out some YouTube videos. Keep pushing brother.

Chocobro

Thinking of switching to a low bar squat due to its emphasis on the abductors. Always did high bar.

Go for it. There's high carryover when switching from HBBS to LBBS, not much other way around.
Do you have weak abductors, since it seems like it's your primary reason for switching?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Go for it. There's high carryover when switching from HBBS to LBBS, not much other way around.
Do you have weak abductors, since it seems like it's your primary reason for switching?

I think so, I think I'm pretty quad dominant so I wouldn't mind even a small change in emphasis for balance if low bar vs high bar allows for this.

TTOOLL

wow....taught 8 classes today and gotta hit the gym tomorrow morning. Not sure how well I'll be when I wake up.... Miss you vacation time =(

~Kinggi~

Banned
Got a question. So ive been working out for a solid month now after a 3 month break late last year. Made good progress. Completely revamped my diet now. I drink skim milk with lots of whey protein. Eat chicken breast, greek yogurt, asparagus , broccoli and spinach basically spread over the course of the day with a grapefruit before the workout which gives me a lot of energy. That was a big step for me. I was always doing the protein but i was really fucking myself with some useless extra fat and carbs that have wreaked some havoc on my midsection more than usual when bulking.

Question is the healing cycle. I do a fairly intense 45 min workout and currently take two days to heal with no workout. I used to always workout every other day, and i see so many people on gaf saying they hardcore lift 5 days a week. But honestly ive had more success letting myself heal over two days instead of one than i had many months at a time before. I feel like ive gotten bigger faster doing it this way.

Is there any real bad reason why i should not spend two days healing? Im starting out at a fairly simple workout plan right now. I know people probably alternate muscles but dealing with dumbbells it works my body more and still causes soreness in muscle areas i might want to have heal.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Was just trying to work out a good way of raising a barbell off the ground (without a power rack) and I realise that I already own pretty much the perfect things for the job.

HcRo5rW.jpg

Only ever used them once for their intended job (they're car axle stands), so it'll be nice to make some further use out of them. :D

Damn, wish I had thought of that. I ended up buying these off of Amazon recently.

Chocobro

I think so, I think I'm pretty quad dominant so I wouldn't mind even a small change in emphasis for balance if low bar vs high bar allows for this.

Oh. Well go for it. Choose whatever you think is best for yourself. You can always LBBS and front squat, that's what some PLers do.

BumRush

Got a question. So ive been working out for a solid month now after a 3 month break late last year. Made good progress. Completely revamped my diet now. I drink skim milk with lots of whey protein. Eat chicken breast, greek yogurt, asparagus , broccoli and spinach basically spread over the course of the day with a grapefruit before the workout which gives me a lot of energy. That was a big step for me. I was always doing the protein but i was really fucking myself with some useless extra fat and carbs that have wreaked some havoc on my midsection more than usual when bulking.

Question is the healing cycle. I do a fairly intense 45 min workout and currently take two days to heal with no workout. I used to always workout every other day, and i see so many people on gaf saying they hardcore lift 5 days a week. But honestly ive had more success letting myself heal over two days instead of one than i had many months at a time before. I feel like ive gotten bigger faster doing it this way.

Is there any real bad reason why i should not spend two days healing? Im starting out at a fairly simple workout plan right now. I know people probably alternate muscles but dealing with dumbbells it works my body more and still causes soreness in muscle areas i might want to have heal.

Kinggi, if you're getting in 3 days a week I think you're okay, but (depending on your goals) if you're only working out 3 times a week you may want to consider more than 45 minutes.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Kinggi, if you're getting in 3 days a week I think you're okay, but (depending on your goals) if you're only working out 3 times a week you may want to consider more than 45 minutes.

Got no problem doing every other day but im more concerned with the factor of me actually being counter-productive even if the soreness is mostly gone.

Hilti92

Started working on the punching bag at the gym. Does it have any benefits other than cardio? My forearms get sore as fuck afterwords so I'm hoping it helps the muscles there..

BumRush

Got no problem doing every other day but im more concerned with the factor of me actually being counter-productive even if the soreness is mostly gone.

You definitely won't be counterproductive. You are rotating body parts, right? Monday - legs, Wednesday - back and biceps, Friday - chest and triceps, Sunday - shoulders, etc.

Sadetar

I managed to drag myself up in the morning after five hours sleep. I had too much things to do today so I thought to start with the gym and it was the perfect timing and I didn't need to wait for anything. I also was surprisingly energetic even with the lack of sleep and not eating before gym. I think I nowadays actually prefer to go to gym first thing in the morning with empty stomach whenever possible. For some reason I don't feel hungry at all and it feels more comfortable to squat.

Speaking of my quads... A pro today saw me. She was asking when my show was. I told her 22 weeks out. She then said I'd do well cause I'm short.
I'm like 6 foot.
Odd, I actually also imagined you to be way shorter than that as well just based on your pics... and I mean that in the best way possible. I think you just hold so much muscles that you look somewhat shorter compared if you would be a total stick, if you get what I am after. In any case, you look absolutely gorgeous (just leaving that there).

So it took a few days longer, but I have my videos up. Looking back at them, I'm going to need to look into ways to get my phone positioned or mounted better, especially because I work out at a small gym that rarely has more than 1 person in the Weight lifting area.[/URL]
I just need to comment that that made me so jealous! Seriously, you basicly have the whole area to yourself. So unfair. :p

Haha im sorry to be the one to break this to you but... :p
Oh, it would be very mean of you to just crush my world view. ;) I kinda like it so I might just avoid Norway and if I ever met a person who accuses to be a Norwegian but doesn't fulfill the criteria I just think he is an imposter.

Very nice. I'm sure you'll hit 500 in the next couple months.

Speaking of CF my shoes already came in

Not bad for 50.00 shipped. Gonna take them for a squat spin tonight. I've never worn this style of shoe before. It feels perfect on the sides but the toes feel just short by a little bit. I feel like 10.5 would have been too small given how the sides feel
Those look so neat!

Are they true to size? I am actually looking for weight lifting shoes. This far when I have been squatting I have been bare foot so if I find something that fits both my budget and my feet, I am definitely buying them.

Zukuu

Banned
What are some good Gold Standard protein flavors?

Of the ones I already got I'd rank them like this:
Strawberry-Banana > Strawberry > Rocky Road >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Banana

I hate vanilla and not a real choco-guy either.

RoeBear

I managed to drag myself up in the morning after five hours sleep. I had too much things to do today so I thought to start with the gym and it was the perfect timing and I didn't need to wait for anything. I also was surprisingly energetic even with the lack of sleep and not eating before gym. I think I nowadays actually prefer to go to gym first thing in the morning with empty stomach whenever possible. For some reason I don't feel hungry at all and it feels more comfortable to squat.

Odd, I actually also imagined you to be way shorter than that as well just based on your pics... and I mean that in the best way possible. I think you just hold so much muscles that you look somewhat shorter compared if you would be a total stick, if you get what I am after. In any case, you look absolutely gorgeous (just leaving that there).
I have stubby limbs and I'm pretty much a giraffe with my neck. So I get why most people think I'm shorter.

If I don't eat before lifting I always have a bad time.
550 deadlift. PR

As with any max lift it's not pretty but it's now recorded history! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwdFxOCevOw&feature=youtu.be

Super impressive Flash! Your concentration looked spot on.

I got a pr today as well 140 db incline press for 6. Never thought I could get that much.

SeanR1221

550 deadlift. PR

As with any max lift it's not pretty but it's now recorded history! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwdFxOCevOw&feature=youtu.be

Nice man! Now you can work on that 10x1 ;)

Speaking of 10x1

I wish I had recorded more than the last set.

I dunno, does it look like I'm cutting it a little high or maybe it's tbe angle (camera down low pointed up)

What do you guys think.

http://youtu.be/AYmx29s0G5o

I have to admit. It was a little weird getting used to the new shoes.

Bowser

What are some good Gold Standard protein flavors?

Of the ones I already got I'd rank them like this:
Strawberry-Banana > Strawberry > Rocky Road >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Banana

I hate vanilla and not a real choco-guy either.

If you're not a chocolate guy, I'd give Mocha Cappuccino a try. One of the better flavors. I think someone here mentioned the Caramel Toffee flavor was good as well, although personally I can't vouch for that one.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Thanks guys.

Looks plenty deep enough to me Sean.

Roe, 140s for 6 is some serious lifting. Nice job.

Zukuu

Banned
If you're not a chocolate guy, I'd give Mocha Cappuccino a try. One of the better flavors. I think someone here mentioned the Caramel Toffee flavor was good as well, although personally I can't vouch for that one.
Not a coffee type either :p

Caramel Toffee sounds tasty tho. Think I'll go for that.

Bowser

As long as people are posting videos...squat form check please?

http://youtu.be/R5uZA-CRybg

The first rep is a bit wobbly as I was trying to incorporate the grip from Alan Thrall's squat tips video, but it was super uncomfortable to me, so I kinda switched back to my regular grip mid set.

RoeBear

As long as people are posting videos...squat form check please?

http://youtu.be/R5uZA-CRybg

The first rep is a bit wobbly as I was trying to incorporate the grip from Alan Thrall's squat tips video, but it was super uncomfortable to me, so I kinda switched back to my regular grip mid set.

Not trying to sound like a douche, because the actual squat looks fine. But why are you doing almost a good morning at the beginning with your knees stiff? Am I doing squats all wrong?

SeanR1221

Not trying to sound like a douche, because the actual squat looks fine. But why are you doing almost a good morning at the beginning with your knees stiff? Am I doing squats all wrong?

It looks like he's overexagerating the hinge back motion from the hips. Try to make it one smooth motion of hips back going down, knees apart.

Bowser

It looks like he's overexagerating the hinge back motion from the hips. Try to make it one smooth motion of hips back going down, knees apart.

I try to mimic this form: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMFHgVN_pcg

but yeah, I probably do over-exaggerate the motion.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Nice, and your ass isn't shooting up like it used to anymore and your feet didn't come off the ground. Nice bud.

Feels extra good coming from you. Great to hear. I've been working hard on it.

I was expecting a stuttering mess of a lift, that looked like one heck of a clean lift man, congrats.

I guess we are all our worst critics. Maybe I thought there was more rounding than there actually was. I know it's going to happen with max lifts but you still hate seeing it. Either way thanks. Now you guys have me wondering if I have more in the tank.

2nd week of Starting Strength done...10 lbs gained. My intestines seem to be back in working order after my celiac disease caused them to atropy. Appetite is coming back strong as well. My lifts aren't where they used to be but getting there slowly but surely.

Bit-Bit

I know the general discussion in this thread is weight lifting but does anyone here only do calisthenics?

I've been doing it steadily for a few years now, but ever since picking up Convict Conditioning I've been trying to actually build muscle with it.

And I know that if I wanted to build muscle fast then lifting weights is the way to go but I'd much rather have the satisfaction of having full control over my own body and getting my ideal body through calisthenics.

Anyways, I normally workout after I get off work but have just started trying to workout in the morning before work. I feel like my last 2 set aren't as strong as they usually are. Any tips to training in the morning?

RoeBear

Tough crowd in that marvel movie muscle thread.

Getting called ugly AND fat.
It's because most of GAF believe that Justin Bieber is the ideal body type. This is the reason I can't buy my waist size in jeans anymore. Skinny leg jeans...

Also hard work is usually met with jealousy and contempt. You look better than your before picture hands down, and are not ugly at all.

Hmm... haven't done normal deadlifts for some time (been doing straight leg and rack pulls). Had some new weights delivered yesterday so I thought I'd chuck them on the bar and show my nephew how to do deadlift. Did double my bodyweight without too much drama and now I'm wondering what I've actually got in me.

Also bought some slings for doing ab work. They're pretty cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom