• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanR1221

It's because most of GAF believe that Justin Bieber is the ideal body type. This is the reason I can't buy my waist size in jeans anymore. Skinny leg jeans...

Also hard work is usually met with jealousy and contempt. You look better than your before picture hands down, and are not ugly at all.

Thanks bro :'-)

Now I kinda feel bad for the snappy reply to the dude that called Sean fat in that thread with him posting that he's a social weirdo and all

but still no one calls a fellow fit gaffer fat......

The legend of the Icelander Orm Storulfsson says that he walked three steps with this MONSTER WOODEN LOG which weighs over 600kg's/1320lbs! It took 50 mere mortals to help him placing it on his back! After he took his third step his back broke under the enormous pressure and he was never the same after that!

Well today my friends I made history!! As well as winning the title of The World's Strongest Viking for the second time in a row I carried this MONSTER LOG 5 steps! My back held up fine!! As I'm on my way to my ultimate goal to win The World's Strongest Man!

NOTHING CAN STOP ME!! NOTHING CAN BREAK ME!!

JERzASP.jpg

Related, on transformations:

877088.jpg

Daffy Duck

So I am wanting to join the gym and get in shape (I'm not stupidly fat) but I have a bit of a gut I want gone.

Problem I have is I am absolutley abysmal at knowing what type of diet I should be eating/portion sizes, I mean totally useless.

The exercise will take care of itself but what guides/recommended foods can I eat? What about snacks throughout the day when I'm hungry?

I'm not lookind for nutri bullets etc, I just want some good recommendations for things to have which will get me over being hungry.

So anyone have anything I can look at/start doing?

Thanks,

I've not weighed myself but I am around 15st and 6ft 2" tall.

Chocobro

So I am wanting to join the gym and get in shape (I'm not stupidly fat) but I have a bit of a gut I want gone.

Problem I have is I am absolutley abysmal at knowing what type of diet I should be eating/portion sizes, I mean totally useless.

The exercise will take care of itself but what guides/recommended foods can I eat? What about snacks throughout the day when I'm hungry?

I'm not lookind for nutri bullets etc, I just want some good recommendations for things to have which will get me over being hungry.

So anyone have anything I can look at/start doing?

Thanks,

I've not weighed myself but I am around 15st and 6ft 2" tall.

There's a nutrition thread that can get you started: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=869633

I also like the nutrition section of Simple Science Fitness: http://simplesciencefitness.com/

Bowser

I used that vid to figure out the hip hinge too and he definitely over exaggerates the motion for illustration so it's easy to pick up. Good news is that now that you are aware of it it should be an easy fix as well.

Thanks - besides the exaggerated motion does the rest look fine? I feel like my way back up looks awkward/off, but not sure if I'm just being hard on myself or if something's wrong with it.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Tough crowd in that marvel movie muscle thread.

Getting called ugly AND fat.
Your boy had your back. Guy was being a dick.

EDIT: And now he's asking for my workout routine. The correct reply is to send him over here so we can help but I'm hesitant after his comment to you.

There are some serious flaws in all of your lifts (especially the bench press and deadlift). I suggest you reread the SS book again and look up Alan Thrall's how to videos on YouTube (which really helped me) and start with the bar.

Here are some specific problems I've noticed:

Squat: not breaking at the hips, you're looking up (dangerous for your cervical spine)
Bench: no lower back arch, no leg drive
Deadlift:squatting the weight instead of driving your hips back, hyperextending lower back
Overall: you seem to be loose on all of your lifts

Well this is essentially why I made videos, to make sure I wasn't going down the wrong path with my form before things got heavier.

I'll admit that eventually I started skimming the book since it's pretty hefty, but I'm thinking I may go back to reading it indepth, probably focusing on one exercise at a time. It is nice to have a video recommendation too, I used a few for a bit of reference but perhaps I should watch them more often, and possibly compare my own videos to what they show side-by-side.

This also means that I'll probably need to figure out a decent way to mount my phonefor days I'm mostly alone (I often workout during the gym's afterhours, and even when it's during staff hours they're often handling business or helping other members with consultation.

Anyways, I'll make sure to take this as an eye opener and work to improve. I appreciate the critic.

Szu

Now I kinda feel bad for the snappy reply to the dude that called Sean fat in that thread with him posting that he's a social weirdo and all

Unless it's towards Brolic, but then he'll just laugh it off between tossing dead bodies and eating McD's.

bchamba

Hey guys, went to my first meet this past saturday with my little brother. I ended with a total of 1129 which was the best of the 3 lifters in the 93 kg weight class and had the 4th highest total overall. If you want to check out the video of our lifts you can here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7yTV_NCJ9M

Hopefully hitting a 500 lb deadlift in the next couple months.

Cooter

Hey guys, went to my first meet this past saturday with my little brother. I ended with a total of 1129 which was the best of the 3 lifters in the 93 kg weight class and had the 4th highest total overall. If you want to check out the video of our lifts you can here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7yTV_NCJ9M

Hopefully hitting a 500 lb deadlift in the next couple months.
Badass man! Super impressive. Thanks for sharing.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD

Dude, you've made amazing progress since highschool and you should be damn proud of what you've obtained. Jealously was playing a big part in that thread as I was reading the posts. People just want to make excuses for themselves and belittle those who have actually put in the effort to improve themselves.

Don't let the haters get ya down.

andycapps

550 deadlift. PR

As with any max lift it's not pretty but it's now recorded history! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwdFxOCevOw&feature=youtu.be

Damn dude.

I really need to get involved in these threads again. Saw Sean, Cooter, and Szu in the Marvel thread and it reminded me of this. Been going through some stuff the past few months that limited my ability to work out consistently and I've lost a deal of strength but I'm working back up.

Still doing 5/3/1, but thinking about adding in some HIIT and cardio in there as well. Diet is pretty solid, but I need something to get me over the hump if my goal is aesthetics and then strength. So far lately have done some sprints on the exercise bike and some burpees. Hate burpees.

sphinx

the piano man

I read the thread and I decided not to participate, way too much ignorance and assholery.

so because we don't want to look like Justin Bieber or Bard Pitt in fight club we fail and have been wasting our time?

*rolleyes to the moon and back

getting visible abs is so fucking easy if you have been consistently working out for at least half a year and eat well just ONE DAMN MONTH,

it pisses me off that whenever I tell people about my desire to aquire mass I am met with weird looks like "wat? but everybody wants to lean out! you need a psychiatrist for dat body dismorphia". Fucking judgmental morons.

Cooter

I read the thread and I decided not to participate, way too much ignorance and assholery.

so because we don't want to look like Justin Bieber we fail and have been wasting our time?

*rolleyes to the moon and back
Don't forget about the subset of people who think people with muscles are gross and have no problem repeating it over and over.

MjFrancis

I stay out of most of those threads these days. You guys have some great progress pics to show for inspiration. The unimpressed are a vocal minority, if they are even unimpressed to begin with. It's like the guy who consistently tells you that they don't care what other people think. They repeat it as a way of reinforcing an idea that isn't there - those are precisely the people who care what others think of them.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

Why not? Embrace the fatness.

Unless it's towards Brolic, but then he'll just laugh it off between tossing dead bodies and eating McD's.

Lol. Kept scrolling snd saw this. Spot on. I don't give a single shit. Those people are idiots. It's funny because those who lift or usually have ever stepped foot in a gym know better and respect the look, and especially the strength.

Oddly enough as I've said before, this is even more evident at work for me. Inmates and staff both always comment.

MrMuscle

Its the age old thing where people feel free to tell you how gross muscle looks without accepting responsibility for what they say. But if you turn the coin and tell a fat person that you think fat is disgusting then you are a monster.

Live this lifestyle long enough and nothing suprises you anymore. Just lift, laugh, love and ignore all the bullshit.

ILoveBish

getting visible abs is so fucking easy if you have been consistently working out for at least half a year and eat well just ONE DAMN MONTH

Do you really believe this? I've been lifting for nearly 3 years, dieting for nearly 2, and I still have no 6 pack.

SeanR1221

Thanks guys :)

It's such a perspective thing. Saying there should be more improvement than that in 3 years when the goal is strength is extremely ignorant. Until you've been under the barbell it's easy to pass judgement.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Thanks guys :)

It's such a perspective thing. Saying there should be more improvement than that in 3 years when the goal is strength is extremely ignorant. Until you've been under the barbell it's easy to pass judgement.

Wait till you see how you look after running ISSM for a year. Shit, according to my wife and coworkers training strongman is changing my appearance again.

sphinx

the piano man
Do you really believe this? I've been lifting for nearly 3 years, dieting for nearly 2, and I still have no 6 pack.

for skinny scrawny guys like me it's very very easy.

I used to have some but being a skinny guy with (some) visible abs got old really quickly so I upped my caloric intake and now I am just happy to feel the bumps under the fat in my core. I know that when I cut they'll be there.

what sort of goal do you have? cause if you care for strength, PRs and the like or attaining mass of course you are not going to see abs.

ILoveBish

what about a 4 pack

No bro it's still not a numbered pack.

I think he's talking about the super skinny dudes who have a 6 pack but no muscles

I know that is what he meant, but that's not what it comes across as when you read it with no context. Lots of people out there struggle with fat, should keep things in perspective.

what sort of goal do you have? cause if you care for strength, PRs and the like or attaining mass of course you are not going to see abs.

My goal is to lose as much fat and gain as much muscle as possible. Its been over a month, so I've failed by your standards.

sphinx

the piano man
My goal is to lose as much fat and gain as much muscle as possible. Its been over a month, so I've failed by your standards.

doesn't that happen over the course of (many) years?

all fitgaf members I can think of who have both a considerable amount of mass and a good physique (aka: what I bolded in the quote) have been at it for at least 6 years, if not more. (there probably exceptions to this though)

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
for skinny scrawny guys like me it's very very easy.

I used to have some but being a skinny guy with (some) visible abs got old really quickly so I upped my caloric intake and now I am just happy to feel the bumps under the fat in my core. I know that when I cut they'll be there.

Not entirely true. When I flex and in the right light my top two abs are visible even at my body fat. That's actually pretty common if you have a large core.

SeanR1221

Wait till you see how you look after running ISSM for a year. Shit, according to my wife and coworkers training strongman is changing my appearance again.

Definitely man.

It's like I mentioned Steve said (and he hit the nail on the head imo). So many guys didn't give a shit about aesthetics before YouTube. They ate whatever and trained hard. They chased strength gains.

Szu

Damn dude.

I really need to get involved in these threads again. Saw Sean, Cooter, and Szu in the Marvel thread and it reminded me of this. Been going through some stuff the past few months that limited my ability to work out consistently and I've lost a deal of strength but I'm working back up.

Still doing 5/3/1, but thinking about adding in some HIIT and cardio in there as well. Diet is pretty solid, but I need something to get me over the hump if my goal is aesthetics and then strength. So far lately have done some sprints on the exercise bike and some burpees. Hate burpees.

Keep at it and remember that we're always here to lend a hand.

tumblr_nhopepnQnY1r95p2wo1_250.gif

RoeBear

Hey I was in the thread too, jesus. :(

Yeah I saw that. A guy was saying you looked better small and you got too much muscle now or something. You seemed to put him in his place.

It's amazing how almost everyone was saying that it's hard to impossible to look good without drugs or a ton of money, but when someone is as close as you can be while still being healthy they say that you're not good enough. Most people in that thread were ignorant which is why I never said anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom