• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been quite awhile since I've checked in. I've been drinking a crazy amount of milk (it's also horrible, my digestive system longs for more solid meals and I have almost forgotten what a decent bowel movement is like) over the last few weeks, and I've been going to the gym about twice a week, using the machines and free weights that are readily available. This week I managed to get an appointment with somebody in the gym who is going to prepare a more rigid personal fitness plan, and yesterday he ended up taking measurements. I went up four kilograms since early January, which is quite a lot of progress given where I was, and I've a body fat percentage of 5.4%, so I'm no longer really concerned about putting on too much weight that isn't muscle. I think another 4kg/5kg or so would be pretty much perfect for me really, but I guess I might as well keep going so long as I can stand drinking litres of milk a day.

In the spirit of Vday, I'd just like to bring up that sex feels way better since I started lifting, especially after leg day.

Is this just in my head or have you guys noticed this as well?

Best sex my wife and I ever had were when we were at competition level fitness about 5 years ago. I miss those days. :(

ILoveBish

Finally hit the gym tonight, trying to fix sleep schedule in the next 2 days back to normal. Got 3x320 on squats, that last rep felt really tough, but i just tightened up and pushed through it. Feel really strong, just really low on fuel, not sure why. I'm sure i'll get over it. I'm hoping to weigh in by friday or so to see if i'm any closer to my goal of 237.5lbs, a few days ago i was at 240.5, so we'll see once life stabilizes a bit.

Back to normal eating at this point, and i absolutely LOVE my CPK17, making green tea is easy and its freakin delicious. I am going to go today before work and get more liquid stevia and also some trader joes 86% chocolate bars. I baked 2 giant cakes today and did another 8 days of food + 40lbs of chicken the day before. Keeping things nice and boring.

Thanks man. Iron sport method has really helped.

Goddamn farmers walks in 12 degree weather sucked. I could only go 120 feet 4x before just calling it quits. The grip was the hardest part.

My wife got a cool shot of me as I was walking

hmmmm sometimes you guys make me glad I live in AZ, its all sunny and shit right now

despire

I've a body fat percentage of 5.4%,

So you're saying you are somewhere between the two dudes on the upper left corner in this pic? You are saying that your weight went up 4kg since January and now your bf% is 5,4%?

body-fat-percentage-men.jpg

Really?

It's possible to have body fat levels that low and look absolutely nothing like those pics. You'd be starving to death, but it's possible.

Of course, what's more likely is that he's just wrong on the number.

Faiz

Squat day and I think my "accessories" are going to be shoveling snow. Ugh. Already cleared three inches off the driveway before lifting, there's another two on it now at least, gonna be 3-4 in about an hour. Calling for up to 12" before it's over.

Seriously?

So you're saying you are somewhere between the two dudes on the upper left corner in this pic? You are saying that your weight went up 4kg since January and now your bf% is 5,4%?

Really?

I'm telling you that is absolutely what I was told. I got it checked in my universities' gym via this (www.ucd.ie/sportandfitness/facilitiescourses/gym/fitnessplan/). While I'm very skeptical over the results (it was done via a caliper and scale rather than via suspension within water [I can't remember the exact term] so it's inherently more inaccurate), that is positively what I was told (it actually started with "So, the minimum for survival with body fat is about 3%; you are on 5.4%). I'll be able to get and thus post the chart next Monday (and the fitness routine that has been planned) to get feedback and to see how (in)accurate and helpful (referring to the routine) that it is, but I am absolutely certain that that is the number I was given.

EDIT: Assuming it's inaccurate, my assumption for what has happened is that he's read off a general table with mean measurements for certain ages at particular body fat percentages, which completely threw out what he has recorded (as I'm certainly not at a mean height or body weight for my age), hence the reading. I'll post the table for interpretation here in a week.

Slowly getting my weight back up. Woke up this morning and it was at 258 lbs. Yikes!

I'm telling you that is absolutely what I was told. I got it checked in my universities' gym via this (www.ucd.ie/sportandfitness/facilitiescourses/gym/fitnessplan/). While I'm very skeptical over the results (it was done via a caliper and scale rather than via suspension within water [I can't remember the exact term] so it's inherently more inaccurate), that is positively what I was told (it actually started with "So, the minimum for survival with body fat is about 3%; you are on 5.4%). I'll be able to get and thus post the chart next Monday (and the fitness routine that has been planned) to get feedback and to see how (in)accurate and helpful (referring to the routine) that it is, but I am absolutely certain that that is the number I was given.

EDIT: Assuming it's inaccurate, my assumption for what has happened is that he's read off a general table with mean measurements for certain ages at particular body fat percentages, which completely threw out what he has recorded (as I'm certainly not at a mean height or body weight for my age), hence the reading. I'll post the table for interpretation here in a week.

Post a pic, brother.

leakey

A pipe burst, barring the front door of the gym at work. Glad there's a service entrance. Gonna try to hit the weights real hard today since I might get snowed in tonight :D

CrankyJay

Banned
Thanks man. Iron sport method has really helped.

Goddamn farmers walks in 12 degree weather sucked. I could only go 120 feet 4x before just calling it quits. The grip was the hardest part.

My wife got a cool shot of me as I was walking

Maybe I'm just being a wuss, but I'd be careful doing any exertion like that in such extreme temps...cold weather basically makes your heart muscles contract.

Fox318

Maybe I'm just being a wuss, but I'd be careful doing any exertion like that in such extreme temps...cold weather basically makes your heart muscles contract.

on the plus side isn't he burning more calories because his body is trying to maintain its temperature?

theytookourjobz

Pulled 405x3 yesterday. Last rep was pretty sloppy. Only the second time incorporating Steves suggestions and it felt like a really strong position. I need to tweak a few things here and there but I'm hoping I'm on my way to pulling 495 by the end of summer.

Fuck yea dude! I better start deadlifting more or you're gonna pass me up pretty soon!

theytookourjobz

And speaking of deadlifts, pro strongman Vince Urbank came to train with us yesterday. 6'5", 315lbs, 905 deadlifter. Holy fucking shit. He said he was pulling pretty light so he only went up to 750. It was hard to hide my man crush.

I'm 5 feet and 6 inches tall, and I weigh 137 lbs. And my doctors scolds me for being underweight.

It sounds like I'm not dangerously underweight, which makes me feel less scared. And I don't want to lose any more weight. But at my height... how much weight would be dangerously underweight?
And what weight should I be? My doctor said something like 160 lbs. But I don't want to be 160 lbs. That seems too heavy. And I don't want to be muscular.

Bowser

I'm 5 feet and 6 inches tall, and I weigh 137 lbs. And my doctors scolds me for being underweight.

It sounds like I'm not dangerously underweight, which makes me feel less scared. And I don't want to lose any more weight. But at my height... how much weight would be dangerously underweight?
And what weight should I be? My doctor said something like 160 lbs. But I don't want to be lbs. That seems too heavy. And I don't want to be muscular.

I'm 5'6", 140 lbs. The lowest I've ever been is 130, but that wasn't sustainable as it was after trying Lyle McDonald's Rapid Fat Loss protocol. My steady state is generally around 140-145. At my highest I was close to 180 (and probably like 28-30% BF).

BMI standards (I know, these are a lot of problems with BMI, but just as a guide) says the "normal" weight range for 5'6" is 115-154 lbs.

Zoe

It depends on a lot of factors. Small/regular/big frame, male/female, amount of muscle. You really haven't given enough information to determine whether that weight is right for your body.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I've been experiencing some forearm issues lately. I'm not sure what has caused it because I haven't increased the amount of weight I'm lifting, this is stuff I easily crushed before but am now struggling to finish. Both my forearms have been getting sore really quickly during my regular workout (mainly during bicep curls) to the point where I have technical failures early on even though my muscles still have plenty of energy left. My right arm in particular has some pain right below the elbow (in the direction of my hand). I quit early last night because of worrying something might be injured, but it confuses me why both arms would experience sudden weakness like this.

Got my Sabo deadlifting shoes in on Saturday. They felt great today with wide stance squatting and deadlifting. Good ankle support and the strap over the top of the foot really helps keep the foot down and compressed inside the shoe. If anyone is looking to buy new flat shoes I would recommend looking into these. $90 from maxbarbell and I got free 3 day shipping. Not a bad deal.

edit: I'm a 12 in American shoes and opted to go with the 45 European size. Fits great.

It depends on a lot of factors. Small/regular/big frame, male/female, amount of muscle. You really haven't given enough information to determine whether that weight is right for your body.
I'm not muscular, I'm very skinny and I wear a size 28 in men's jeans. Anything above that and I have to wear a belt.

I have medium size shoulders, which makes me feel self conscious, because I want to have more petite and feminine shoulders. And there's no safe surgeries to change my bones. It's even more dangerous than voice feminization surgery.

I shouldn't be that big... though my shoulders and feet are bigger than I would like..
I'm not sure what to say about my gender.. but I'm a transwoman..

Bowser

I'm not muscular, I'm very skinny and I wear a size 28 in men's jeans. Anything above that and I have to wear a belt.

I have medium size shoulders, which makes me feel self conscious, because I want to have more petite and feminine shoulders. And there's no safe surgeries to change my bones. It's even more dangerous than voice feminization surgery.

I shouldn't be that big... though my shoulders and feet are bigger than I would like..

uhh...what?

edit: ah, ok. Saw your edit.

SeanR1221

And what weight should I be? My doctor said something like 160 lbs. But I don't want to be 160 lbs. That seems too heavy. And I don't want to be muscular.

That height and weight puts your squarely in the middle of "normal weight" on the BMI scale so you're either

A.) trolling us. And judging by your responses in the body idol thead I wouldn't be surprised.

Or

B.) your doctor is completely clueless.

And don't respond with something like

"I-I'm N-not S-sure W-what Y-you're T-talking A-about" like you were in the body idol thread. Your gimmick stinks.

That height and weight puts your squarely in the middle of "normal weight" on the BMI scale so you're either

A.) trolling us. And judging by your responses in the body idol thead I wouldn't be surprised.

Or

B.) your doctor is completely clueless.

And don't respond with something like

"I-I'm N-not S-sure W-what Y-you're T-talking A-about" like you were in the body idol thread. Your gimmick stinks.

D-dont be s-such a baka gaijin

Deadlifts on a non olympic bar are a goddamn nightmare. I want my garage back. :(

I need something huge to rest them on as my makeshift platform really didn't work out.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
ANyone have any good desk workouts for something quick at the office to wake you up and burn a few calories?

Here's my start:
10 squats
10 Alternate lunges
10 jab/cross (alt)

What are some others?

Matugi

Damn snow has me hitting my PR day a day early, was supposed to hit 1x5 at 290 on bench but could only muster a set of 285x2 due to fatigue. Gonna go ahead and jump to 1x3 290 next week because I feel like I could've hit 1x5 at 285 on normal rest. My chest is on fire

Post a pic, brother.

Ok, sure (I'm not much to look at though I can assure you). I've taken a few as the lighting in my room isn't great.

http://i.imgur.com/bRIuuW8.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/m1HPoh9.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/7BCXFDL.jpg

Psychotext helped substantially on the ninth of January in suggesting gaining weight as a priority rather than losing any body fat (because that had been my goal, I suspected it was rather high and that, in wanting more definition, a reduction in that would be easy given that I do a huge amount of cardio already and would just need more resistance training, which obviously was an incorrect assumption) that I had and with regard to the nutrition side. I'm 19, swim a huge amount, weigh approximately 46kg/101lbs [BMI 18] (up from 42kg/93lbs [BMI 16.4]), my waist is around 26" (again, I don't have my chart until next Monday at 9:30pm), my wrist is about 7.75" and I'm 5' 3". The measurements that were taken yesterday were my weight, height, waist size, bicep at rest, bicep while flexed, diameter around naval, diameter around nipples, fat thickness (don't know the name) at stomach, fat thickness at bicep, and fat thickness at tricep (but again, only have these Monday). His result from the measurements was a body fat of 5.4% (I've checked out online calculators with the few I remember, and have gotten everything from 1-9% using the few measurements I have [height, weight, wrist, waist, BMI, and age being pretty much it]).

Samara

ANyone have any good desk workouts for something quick at the office to wake you up and burn a few calories?

Here's my start:
10 squats
10 Alternate lunges
10 jab/cross (alt)

What are some others?

You could get some resitance band and use them in between. Seated Russian twist could be added

Noema

Thought you guys might enjoy this:

Srengtheory: Squats are neither hip nor knee dominant

TLDR:

1) The origins and insertions of the hamstrings and rectus femoris allow them to extend the hip and knee simultaneously, even though their actions oppose each other.

2) Two joint muscles allow force from single joint muscles to be transmitted to joints they wouldn’t otherwise be able to effect. For example, the rectus femoris allows the glutes to help extend the knee.

3) You can put these principles to work for you by learning the best way to grind through your sticking point on a squat

4) Because two joint muscles transmit force throughout all of your hip and thigh musculature, squats aren’t truly knee or hip dominant, regardless of how they look or what the external torques at the joints are

TxdoHawk

I think I may have just eaten the driest roast chicken breast in the world. Took me about 40 mins to get through it. Blech.

Sounds gross. I've just been baking frozen chicken tenderloins, got it down pat. Little bit of canola oil, salt, pop 'em in the oven for 35 minutes at 375 (flip halfway through), take 'em out, add a little pepper + garlic powder, eat. Perfect every time.

Psychotext helped substantially on the ninth of January in suggesting gaining weight as a priority rather than losing any body fat (because that had been my goal, I suspected it was rather high and that, in wanting more definition, a reduction in that would be easy given that I do a huge amount of cardio already and would just need more resistance training, which obviously was an incorrect assumption)

Totally empathize here, I've resigned myself to the fact that if I want what I want, I'm going to have to build the foundation before I cut.

Fox318

I've never been angry at the gym but when somebody is doing their dumbbell routine right in front of the rack where nobody else could get weights I almost lost it.

He wasn't even near the weight he picked up. He was using a 20 lb weight near the 50s.

DOWN

Banned
Do you time your cheat meals/days to be on workout days so they're not as severe, or since they are cheats you just do it whenever you feel like it?

Do you time your cheat meals/days to be on workout days so they're not as severe, or since they are cheats you just do it whenever you feel like it?
I typically do it on weekends when I usually don't lift. Eat, drink, and not stressing about work or the gym. Makes for a nice two day break.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Ok, sure (I'm not much to look at though I can assure you). I've taken a few as the lighting in my room isn't great.

http://i.imgur.com/bRIuuW8.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/m1HPoh9.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/7BCXFDL.jpg

Psychotext helped substantially on the ninth of January in suggesting gaining weight as a priority rather than losing any body fat (because that had been my goal, I suspected it was rather high and that, in wanting more definition, a reduction in that would be easy given that I do a huge amount of cardio already and would just need more resistance training, which obviously was an incorrect assumption) that I had and with regard to the nutrition side. I'm 19, swim a huge amount, weigh approximately 46kg/101lbs [BMI 18] (up from 42kg/93lbs [BMI 16.4]), my waist is around 26" (again, I don't have my chart until next Monday at 9:30pm), my wrist is about 7.75" and I'm 5' 3". The measurements that were taken yesterday were my weight, height, waist size, bicep at rest, bicep while flexed, diameter around naval, diameter around nipples, fat thickness (don't know the name) at stomach, fat thickness at bicep, and fat thickness at tricep (but again, only have these Monday). His result from the measurements was a body fat of 5.4% (I've checked out online calculators with the few I remember, and have gotten everything from 1-9% using the few measurements I have [height, weight, wrist, waist, BMI, and age being pretty much it]).

You're not 1% and you're not muscular enough to even show even with how lean you are. You're carrying a lot more body fat than you think you are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom