• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarecrow

Here a handy chart for rep ranges:

UrF1U.png
To get the most from this chart I'm gonna need to know what 1RM means -_-

Also, would jogging reduce any gains in getting from lifting?

Cudder

Looked into the "counting macros" thing for the first time, god help me, I feel stupid/ like back in math class.

I want to loose some flab but this is brain torture.

It gets easier the more you do it. You only really need to track the big 3, protein, fat, carbs. Use MyFitnessPal. It's like a game you play with yourself every day.

Chocobro

Haha, I know. I tell myself this every time but I end up always doing it....in my head it goes--"the hooks are right there, come on, just put it on the hooks!"

It's really weird how one can be lazy when doing the exact opposite of being lazy by lifting heavy things on purpose.

I really hate unloading the bar when on the ground...

In my defense, I'm usually closer to the hooks. I moved back and angled where I usually stand to give the camera a better angle.

That sounds like so much more work to me. I rather do it this way. To me, it's common knowledge, but I want other people to know there's an efficient way to unload the bar on the ground if you don't have a DL loader thingy.

It gets easier the more you do it. You only really need to track the big 3, protein, fat, carbs. Use MyFitnessPal. It's like a game you play with yourself every day.
I would also include tracking fiber, IMO lol. Also, if anyone decides to use MFP, remember to get the script so you get the "Net Carbs" section. It's not a big deal if you're in the UK because the nutrition labels show net carbs whereas in the US, AFAIK, it shows only total carbs. For a week, I didn't realize this and I was short 27-33g carbs because of the fiber I was getting.

Gintamen

30lbs, must be a lot of water weight, but gratz for all the fat loss.
To get the most from this chart I'm gonna need to know what 1RM means -_-

Also, would jogging reduce any gains in getting from lifting?
Here is the easy formula:

iAOQF9F6VXI9w.png

w: weight , r: repetitions

Just f. with you.:p

BumRush

It's not; I mentioned it merely in passing because it was what was read at the fitness programme (I didn't realise it was seemingly a big deal or so inaccurate; I wouldn't have mentioned it if I had). The entire post was to update progress in the goal of gaining weight, that I've managed to stick to what was suggested, and started (after discovering) the fitness program to get it more tailor-made, hence the bewilderment over it seemingly being a sticking point. I'm more interested in having gained weight (i.e. that was good progress for me).

Excellent. Keep it up man and best of luck! Can't wait to see progress.

Fox318

That sounds like so much more work to me. I rather do it this way. To me, it's common knowledge, but I want other people to know there's an efficient way to unload the bar on the ground if you don't have a DL loader thingy.

I would also include tracking fiber, IMO lol. Also, if anyone decides to use MFP, remember to get the script so you get the "Net Carbs" section. It's not a big deal if you're in the UK because the nutrition labels show net carbs whereas in the US, AFAIK, it shows only total carbs. For a week, I didn't realize this and I was short 27-33g carbs because of the fiber I was getting.

I'm also tracking Potassium, sodium, and added sugar intake.

You should also makes sure to get enough calcium.

TxdoHawk

I've lost 23 pounds this year. If people are judging me in the gym I'll deal with them when I'm at 3% body fat and I can clean and jerk my car.

Maybe this is just my gym, but it seems the only people ever judging are the people obviously in on a week trial...and I almost never see them again.

I'm sure there are plenty of regulars who like to have a few yuks, but life is just too short, you know? I go in, work myself out into a sweaty mess, and leave. Anything less is a waste of time and gym fees.

I'm sure there are plenty of regulars who like to have a few yuks, but life is just too short, you know? I go in, work myself out into a sweaty mess, and leave. Anything less is a waste of time and gym fees.

Some guy came up to me today to ask a few questions because I was a sweaty mess and he wanted a more intense workout. So go us??

Chocobro

I'm also tracking Potassium, sodium, and added sugar intake.

You should also makes sure to get enough calcium.

I haven't actually gone out of my way to make sure I'm tracking those since I'm eating the same foods every day for the last month+ and I only took a look at those values near the beginning when I was planning my nutrition. But according to MFP, I'm at 3351 mg potassium, 1250mg sodium, 79 (doesn't list units) sugar, and 109% RDA calcium. I wish I can see how much zinc and magnesium I'm consuming though.

Hey guys.

There was this strange conversation today in the gym, because it seems that even the inhouse trainer of the gym, another personal trainer and some other common rather athletic person didn't know that the lost weight is breathed out as carbon dioxide.

They babbled about how eye surprising it would be to look at all the 10kg of losed fat portioned in butter bars. I told them that they should imagine how much volume of CO2 gas they produced to lose that weight and how often someone had to breath out to loose even lets say 1kg of CO2. More surprisingly they wouldn't believe me at first.

However, remember to breath.

RoeBear

Hey guys.

There was this strange conversation today in the gym, because it seems that even the inhouse trainer of the gym, another personal trainer and some other common rather athletic person didn't know that the lost weight is breathed out as carbon dioxide.

They babbled about how eye surprising it would be to look at all the 10kg of losed fat portioned in butter bars. I told them that they should imagine how much volume of CO2 gas they produced to lose that weight and how often someone had to breath out to loose even lets say 1kg of CO2. More surprisingly they wouldn't believe me at first.

Uhh what?

Is this a translation thing, cause none of it is making sense to me?

andycapps

Hey guys.

Am I missing a joke here?

BumRush

Hey guys.

I'm sorry man, I'm confused.

sphinx

the piano man
well, my bulk has been going according to keikaku, more or less.

I began in november with a 69.7~.9 kg (153.5 lbs), that's the lowest number I remember appearing in the scale and yesterday I weighted for the first time ever, I mean, for the first time EVER since I've been exercising 72.7 kg (159.94 lbs),

just some 2 or 3 months ago, to see 72.X in the scale was rare, in the last weeks it rarely goes under 72, and if it does, not under 71.8, everything tells me it's not shit&water™

Pants fit rather well still,, no need to up a button in the belt. I like how I look on a tank.

there were three weeks in there in which I was out of service with a terrible flu, I lost all appetite, no gym and feeling like shit 24/7.

for me this is HUGE, I've been struggling with aquiring mass since...feels like forever, probably a year.

Of course, this is something I will only share here cause everyone else with tell me I am a sad case of a moron destroying my body trying to get fat. Being happing about gaining weight is pure vigorexia and requires psychological treatment.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Yolks. That part is called the yolk.

Anyway, the egg white is pure protein, and the yolk is pure fat.

Nope. The egg yolk has almost half of the egg's protein, and also contains most of the nutrients (vitamins, minerals, fatty acids).

If you're really trying to cut, maybe only eat 1 yolk with every 2-3 eggs or something (egg whites have practically 0 calories), but don't neglect them completely.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Absolutely brutal squat day. Video is front squat 395x1, 315x5 and back squat 335x5. Here's the training log.

Training log : front squat 45x10, 135x5, 225x3, 275, 315, 365, 395 and 405(fail). Back squat paused 225, 275, 315, 365. Back squat 405x1 315x5 335x5.

http://youtu.be/3APZDKMoVyI

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I'm tired just watching that Brolic.

____

Gotta love the people who ask why you're so big now and that they like you better when you were smaller. Thanks for caring. I guess...

sphinx

the piano man
Gotta love the people who ask why you're so big now and that they like you better when you were smaller. Thanks for caring. I guess...

Sounds like my ex-gf. No wonder she didn't last.

screw them.

you know, I don't get it. People talk like we all automatically look like a Mr Olympia contender (or a massive blob, I have no idea what people's perception is) when we gain a couple fucking kilos,

I told my roommate about my weight gain and all I got was "I can't believe what I am listening to, someone happy they gained weight.... I am happy for you... I guess"

screw him,seriously.

Oddly I'm getting "you look like you've lost weight" still from people. Even though I'm about 5kg up on where I was 6 months ago. I guess people respond to increased muscularity / more shapely bodies as "weight loss".

Though with that said, the missus told me I have legs like a rugby player the other day. Not entirely sure what to make of that. :D

Oddly I'm getting "you look like you've lost weight" still from people. Even though I'm about 5kg up on where I was 6 months ago. I guess people respond to increased muscularity / more shapely bodies as "weight loss".

Yup body recomposition can be an awesome thing. Getting stronger while looking better AND burning fat? The best feeling.

SeanR1221

Absolutely brutal squat day. Video is front squat 395x1, 315x5 and back squat 335x5. Here's the training log.

Training log : front squat 45x10, 135x5, 225x3, 275, 315, 365, 395 and 405(fail). Back squat paused 225, 275, 315, 365. Back squat 405x1 315x5 335x5.

http://youtu.be/3APZDKMoVyI

Nice lifts man.

I've had a couple comments like this and the worst part is they can't appreciate how much work you're actually putting in.

Let assholes be assholes.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Nice lifts man.

I've had a couple comments like this and the worst part is they can't appreciate how much work you're actually putting in.

Let assholes be assholes.

I'm tired just watching that Brolic.

____

Thanks gents, and fuck them. If there is one thing I've learned its people hate other people's success. You have to cut the negative people out of your life, even those close to you. Their negativity will only hinder you in all aspects of your life.

So when you hear shit like that, realize it's coming from a place of insecurity and envy, then cut them out.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
It's usually women who comment about liking the way I look better when I'm smaller. I'd say it's 50/50 positive and negative. Doesn't bother me one bit. It's amusing to me because they are effectively putting me down.

Height: 5'10
Weight: 185

Goal: No specific weight. My body goal is basically a more defined version of Charlie Hunnam in Pacific Rim.

Current Training Schedule: I work 2pm-10pm daily with 2 days off. I'm not a morning person and prefer working out late at night or around 10am.

Current Training Equipment Available: Planet Fitness (I know but it's cheap) and A gym at my job that is very barebones but great for free weights. Has Dumbbells, bench, assisted bench, dip bars and a lat pull machine.

Comments: just trying to find the easiest routine to fit in with my schedule that I can work toward my goal. Sometimes I feel like I'm on the right path but I'm missing something. I'm already decently fit and workout often but I really don't have that definition yet or a solid weekly routine. My strength is slightly above average. Any help advice will be greatly appreciated. I feel like my chest refuses to grow.

SeanR1221

Height: 5'10
Weight: 185

Goal: No specific weight. My body goal is basically a more defined version of Charlie Hunnam in Pacific Rim.

Current Training Schedule: I work 2pm-10pm daily with 2 days off. I'm not a morning person and prefer working out late at night or around 10am.

Current Training Equipment Available: Planet Fitness (I know but it's cheap) and A gym at my job that is very barebones but great for free weights. Has Dumbbells, bench, assisted bench, dip bars and a lat pull machine.

Comments: just trying to find the easiest routine to fit in with my schedule that I can work toward my goal. Sometimes I feel like I'm on the right path but I'm missing something. I'm already decently fit and workout often but I really don't have that definition yet or a solid weekly routine. My strength is slightly above average. Any help advice will be greatly appreciated. I feel like my chest refuses to grow.

What's your current program/numbers like

I think he's saying all of us are full of hot air.

In truth, I believe he is refering to some recent weight loss articles.
For example.

I'm sorry man, I'm confused.

Am I missing a joke here?

Uhh what?

Is this a translation thing, cause none of it is making sense to me?

kinda late to this

I don't know anything about breathing out fat but our metabolic processes simply speaking takes carbs (and converting fats to sugar like stuff) to turn into ATP for energy, and releases h2o and co2. so technically outside of indigestible food (fiber) sources the way we lose mass is by breathing and pissing.

What's your current program/numbers like

I usually work out 3 or 4 days (at work on my break for about 40 mins max) then rest 2 or 3 day which I'm not feeling. I really don't have a set routine but if I did My routine is something like...

Day 1
Curls (Dumbbells)10 reps x3-4
Skull crushers (bar) 10 reps x3-4
Shoulder press 8-10 reps x3
Deadlifts 1 x 3

Day 2
Squats bar 8-10 x3-4
Leg press 10 x3
Lunges Dumbbells 8-10 x3
Lat pull down 8-10 x3

Day 3
Bench press 8-10 x3-4
Bench press incline 8-10 x3
Shoulder rolls dumbell 8-10 x3
Flys dumbell 8-10 x3

During all that I may try to mix in some ab work or short cardio

SeanR1221

I usually work out 3 or 4 days (at work on my break for about 40 mins max) then rest 2 or 3 day which I'm not feeling. I really don't have a set routine but if I did My routine is something like...

Day 1
Curls (Dumbbells)10 reps x3-4
Skull crushers (bar) 10 reps x3-4
Shoulder press 8-10 reps x3
Deadlifts 1 x 3

Day 2
Squats bar 8-10 x3-4
Leg press 10 x3
Lunges Dumbbells 8-10 x3
Lat pull down 8-10 x3

Day 3
Bench press 8-10 x3-4
Bench press incline 8-10 x3
Shoulder rolls dumbell 8-10 x3
Flys dumbell 8-10 x3

During all that I may try to mix in some ab work or short cardio

How much weight on these? Also you can't squat or deadlift at planet fitness

How much weight on these? Also you can't squat or deadlift at planet fitness

You can squat at p fitness but deadlifting I usually do at my work gym. For squat I'm like 150 and deadlift 165. Dumbells I use 35-45's ... I bench like 145.. The more weightlifting workouts I usually opt for my work gym which I have access to 24/7 but it's a far drive.. P fitness is like a 10 min drive and I like going late at night because it's empty and they aren't as strict on the night shift.

SeanR1221

You can squat at p fitness but deadlifting I usually do at my work gym. For squat I'm like 150 and deadlift 165. Dumbells I use 35-45's ... I bench like 145.. The more weightlifting workouts I usually opt for my work gym which I have access to 24/7 but it's a far drive.. P fitness is like a 10 min drive and I like going late at night because it's empty and they aren't as strict on the night shift.

You're not squatting in the smith machine are you?

SeanR1221

Nope.. When I first started working out I did but not anymore

Huh. You learn something new everyday. This is the first I've ever heard they have squat racks in planet fitness.

So you're going to need a straight forward program. Something that emphasizes progressively getting stronger in the big lifts. It sounds like you've made some progress but now it's time to make more.

Anything with steady linear progression in the big lifts will do. Starting strength, strong lifts, 5/3/1... Even the routine in the OP

DOWN

Banned
So I don't know if anyone saw me ask on the last page, but I'm trying to use the calculation site in the OP (http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/) and don't know what preset "Rest/Workout" split to select for the macro pie charts. "Standard Recomp", "Lean Massing", or "Weight Gain" if I just care about visible size gains. Any suggestion? Or is there a better place to get a macro and calorie breakdown?

SeanR1221

Is it bad to use the Smith machine for squats? I unfortunately also go to pf and use it for squats and straight legged Deadlift and have seen others also doing it too.

Yup.

It completely restricts your range of motion. I'm not saying the smith machine is completely pointless (I do Australian pull ups on it) but it should not be used for a squat and especially not a deadlift.

Eklipsis

Yup.

It completely restricts your range of motion. I'm not saying the smith machine is completely pointless (I do Australian pull ups on it) but it should not be used for a squat and especially not a deadlift.

I realize the restriction I just figured it was better than nothing. I know that a Smith machine doesn't allow u to really work the stabilizing muscles but what else can I do instead of Smith machine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom