• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOWN

Banned
I tried doing just water with the chocolate whey instead of milk. I've made a huge mistake
and might throw up

Requiem

Fit-GAF I am so hype right now. I just hit a new fucking max on my deadlift, 405 lbs!!!! I don't know what to do with myself I'm so hype

Yup.

It completely restricts your range of motion. I'm not saying the smith machine is completely pointless (I do Australian pull ups on it) but it should not be used for a squat and especially not a deadlift.

The Smith machine is fine for hack squats - good at isolating the quads.

SeanR1221

Fit-GAF I am so hype right now. I just hit a new fucking max on my deadlift, 405 lbs!!!! I don't know what to do with myself I'm so hype

Nice...now join me on the road to 495. We're gonna make it.

The Smith machine is fine for hack squats - good at isolating the quads.

I've never done hack squats so I can't say my thoughts on using a smith machine for them, but when I said squat I meant back squats.

Just out of interest, am I the only one here that doesn't set particular targets?

The specific amounts I can lift aren't massively relevant to me (I can now curl a large dog!) as long as I'm getting fitter and stronger (this applies to mountain biking too). I have literally no idea what I should be capable of, so it occurs to me that I might as well just keep trying to get better rather than thinking about metrics.

Take for example 495. Does that number have particular meaning to you? Is it, say, three times your bodyweight for instance? Just to be clear, I'm not being critical of targets / setting them... I just wonder how they're arrived at / what they're for.

Just out of interest, am I the only one here that doesn't set particular targets?

The specific amounts I can lift aren't massively relevant to me (I can now curl a large dog!) as long as I'm getting fitter and stronger (this applies to mountain biking too). I have literally no idea what I should be capable of, so it occurs to me that I might as well just keep trying to get better rather than thinking about metrics.

Take for example 495. Does that number have particular meaning to you? Is it, say, three times your bodyweight for instance? Just to be clear, I'm not being critical of targets / setting them... I just wonder how they're arrived at / what they're for.

Probably just a number to shoot for, a goal to look at when you're pushing and progress is slow maybe? I'm not near that number in any of my lifts, but for reference 495 is 5 plates per side. Hell, I'm even thinking to myself right now that 4 plates per side for my squat would be tops (but I'm really only close to 3 lol).

CrankyJay

Banned

Some people do better with a tangible number in mind....an overall goal, and then subgoals to mark the progress.

Requiem

And so it begins....

Its good to have a goal in mind even if it's arbitrary, I like having something to work towards and surpassing goals can do wonders for your confidence in the gym.

Bowser

I tried doing just water with the chocolate whey instead of milk. I've made a huge mistake
and might throw up

You'll get used to it. I always mix with water now and it's not so bad.

My favorite is to mix with coffee. Just put some cream in, let it cool to warm/room temp and mix whey in.

Some brands work far better with water than others.

Use skim milk at least, or almond milk. Anything but water.

I like to use half almond milk and half cocunut water

Didn't know so many people didn't use water to mix their whey with. I always use water. Here and there I'll use some unsweetened almond milk, but rarely. I've found ON Double Rich Chocolate works well with water.

ILoveBish

I only use water for whey. Stop eating stuff for pleasure and you wont even care what stuff tastes like anymore. Just gimme dem macros.

Its good to have a goal in mind even if it's arbitrary, I like having something to work towards and surpassing goals can do wonders for your confidence in the gym.
What happens if you've set something that you're not physically capable of getting to though? Hence my question about how targets are actually made.

Well, if you've not been progressing towards your goal in a timescale that's likely to result in in happening in say... the next decade, then you've probably got a good idea. Eventually the curve flattens out.

Unrelated, I've been browsing gumtree (basically the UK's craiglist) for random weight parts and been quite amused by the amount of vibration plates on there. I had no idea that so many had been bought in the first place.

theytookourjobz

Got my VO2 max tested today. A couple girls that are in an exercise science Master's program at UNF asked some of the trainers at the gym to take part. It was a lot of fun and im anxious to do it again. Anyone ever done one?

ACE 1991

So guys, what cheap foods do you like while bulking? I'm trying to spend under $60/week and eating 2700-2800 calories a day Been eating mostly the following:
Whole wheat bagels
natural peanut butter
cottage cheese
0% fat greek yogurt (which I mix with frozen fruit)
bananas
whole wheat bread
eggs
2 servings of 1% milk mixed with a scoop of whey
lentils mixed with jasmine rice and curry powder

Anything I'm missing? eating these is getting me to about 2400 cals a day, any good and easy foods I should pick up on my way home from work today to get to that maximum? Also, my fat in take is a little high (80-95g a day) is this TOO high? Thanks.

EDIT: Also finally hit 190x6 on bench after being stuck forever. I am going to a new gym now which has the resting place for the barbell on flat bench a lot lower than my previous gym; this has made it way easier to maintain a good arch and shoulder squeeze than the gym I went to before, which is why I think I broke my plateau.

BumRush

So guys, what cheap foods do you like while bulking? I'm trying to spend under $60/week and eating 2700-2800 calories a day Been eating mostly the following:
Whole wheat bagels
natural peanut butter
cottage cheese
0% fat greek yogurt (which I mix with frozen fruit)
bananas
whole wheat bread
eggs
2 servings of 1% milk mixed with a scoop of whey
lentils mixed with jasmine rice and curry powder

Anything I'm missing? eating these is getting me to about 2400 cals a day, any good and easy foods I should pick up on my way home from work today to get to that maximum? Also, my fat in take is a little high (80-95g a day) is this TOO high? Thanks.

EDIT: Also finally hit 190x6 on bench after being stuck forever. I am going to a new gym now which has the resting place for the barbell on flat bench a lot lower than my previous gym; this has made it way easier to maintain a good arch and shoulder squeeze than the gym I went to before, which is why I think I broke my plateau.

Eating that many calories with that low of a fat content is super hard so no, you're good there. Are you a vegetarian? Why no chicken and lean meats?

Also, congrats on the PR!

ACE 1991

Eating that many calories with that low of a fat content is super hard so no, you're good there. Are you a vegetarian? Why no chicken and lean meats?

Also, congrats on the PR!

Oops, I totally throw in some chicken with my lentils and jasmine rice. However, meat tends to be expensive so I don't get the bulk of my protein from it. I have about $15 left in my food budget for this week, what would you recommend me picking up based on the other foods I've listed? I eat broccoli in the evenings as well, which I forgot to add. Thanks for the quick response, by the way.

Bowser

Oops, I totally throw in some chicken with my lentils and jasmine rice. However, meat tends to be expensive so I don't get the bulk of my protein from it. I have about $15 left in my food budget for this week, what would you recommend me picking up based on the other foods I've listed? I eat broccoli in the evenings as well, which I forgot to add. Thanks for the quick response, by the way.

The fat content is probably fine, altho it's easier to tell if you give your stats (height / weight). An easier way to get more cals with what you're eating is to just get slightly fattier versions of the dairy products (2% milk, 2% greek yogurt, cheese sticks, etc.)

Seanspeed

Banned
Thanks gents, and fuck them. If there is one thing I've learned its people hate other people's success. You have to cut the negative people out of your life, even those close to you. Their negativity will only hinder you in all aspects of your life.

So when you hear shit like that, realize it's coming from a place of insecurity and envy, then cut them out.
If somebody expresses a preference for you being smaller, it does NOT necessarily mean they are jealous or insecure or anything. You may feel insulted and you may feel that its disrespectful towards the work you've put in, but to automatically label them an asshole and then cut them out of your life(especially those you're close with) is super judgemental yourself and a seriously extreme reaction. Ever get somebody that said they preferred your hair a certain way or something? Its not any different than that. "I like the way it is now." "Ok." "Ok." And move on.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
If somebody expresses a preference for you being smaller, it does NOT necessarily mean they are jealous or insecure or anything. You may feel insulted and you may feel that its disrespectful towards the work you've put in, but to automatically label them an asshole and then cut them out of your life(especially those you're close with) is super judgemental yourself and a seriously extreme reaction. Ever get somebody that said they preferred your hair a certain way or something? Its not any different than that. "I like the way it is now." "Ok." "Ok." And move on.

You mean the world doesn't work in absolutes? Mind. Blown.

hey I did 335x5 on back squat a few weeks ago!! we're basically the same person.

Lol. Nice.

What's generally better for the core: crunches or planks?

Personally I'd invest in an ab wheel.

Even better, do front squats and heavy carries.

SeanR1221

Take note guys.

Getting a hair cut = pushing your body to the limit 3-4 times a week to get stronger.

ACE 1991

The fat content is probably fine, altho it's easier to tell if you give your stats (height / weight). An easier way to get more cals with what you're eating is to just get slightly fattier versions of the dairy products (2% milk, 2% greek yogurt, cheese sticks, etc.)

I am 5'8'' and a 166 or so pounds. Big 3 1RMs are as follows:

Squat: 240
Bench 200lb
OHP: 125

These have all stalled pretty hard, so I'm really focusing on eating to try and get them up. Also, how long do you guys generally recommend running a routine? I have been running the same 4-day split since September, but haven't made much gains in the past few months. Is it worthwhile to stick with it now that I am dialing in diet?

Noema

Is it bad to use the Smith machine for squats? I unfortunately also go to pf and use it for squats and straight legged Deadlift and have seen others also doing it too.

You can't squat in a Smith Machine. It's more like a standing leg press.

Squats and Deadlifts are free-weight movements and they are done with a barbell.

BumRush

Bench 200lb

These have all stalled pretty hard, so I'm really focusing on eating to try and get them up. Also, how long do you guys generally recommend running a routine? I have been running the same 4-day split since September, but haven't made much gains in the past few months. Is it worthwhile to stick with it now that I am dialing in diet?

Do you do accessory work? A lot of my stalls have been because just focusing on compounds didn't hit all areas / angles.

Also, I know you mentioned being on a tight budget. Check the weekly circulars. You can get incredible deals on "Family Packs" of chicken, pork chops, etc. by looking at fliers. $1.49 / lbs of chicken breast will actually make chicken one of your cheapest sources of calories / protein. 1 chicken breast cooked has around 200 calories and 30 grams of protein, yet only 2 grams of fat.

Also, I'm sure you left it out, but you are deadlifting as well, right?

I've never done hack squats so I can't say my thoughts on using a smith machine for them, but when I said squat I meant back squats.

I was just saying that one does not have to attempt back squatting in the Smith machine, but can do hack squats as an alternative.

When I had adductor issues, which meant that I could not squat normally, I tried Smith machine hack squats, and found they are good for bodybuilding the quads.

They are especially good if you do high rep sets and do not lock out.

Noema

Bench 200lb

Those are not bad novice numbers (bench and OHP at least) for you bodyweight and it probably means it's time for you to move to some sort of intermediate programming.

Do you want to focus on strength or hypertrophy?

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I have nothing constructive or wise to say just that it's great having Noema back! Carry on.

Szu

What's generally better for the core: crunches or planks?

If I had to choose one, then I would probably do crunches.

However, there are different variations of crunches and planks. Some variations of planks can be more effective than the standard crunches.

Noema

I have nothing constructive or wise to say just that it's great having Noema back! Carry on.

arnold_handshake_explosion.gif

Chocobro

Any of you guys use weightlifting shoes? I want to get a pair, but not sure on which one: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=weight+lifting+shoes

I Deadlift barefoot but otherwise I'd want to wear good shoes for Squatting.
I use my adiPower for all lifts except for deadlift (as of last month. Was DLing in oly shoes before). For deadlifts, I use Chuck Taylors; I was considering buying some Reebok CrossFit Lite TRs to try out and compare since those are getting popular in PLing.
Generally, oly shoes are preferred for high-bar squats and OLing (Olympic lifting). I think the CF Lite TRs are a safe purchase if you're more into PLing, they retail for only $90.
Addipowers. I have nothing to compare them to but I adore the pair I have.
Still jealous that you got the red/black ones. When I got mine, only the bright red-orange one was being made :(

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
How many calories would you say is in a big bowl of hand-pulled noodles with veggies and lamb?

06-Pork-Hand-pulled-Noodles-Xian-Famous-Foods-East-Village.jpg

(For reference.)

~500 calories?

Bowser

Addipowers. I have nothing to compare them to but I adore the pair I have.

Just got a pair myself and I really enjoy lifting in them, particularly squats (I DL barefoot anyway). I got the white/black/grey version, but now I'm having a bit of buyer's remorse and kind of wish I got the screaming red version haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom